Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,222 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:36 AM

What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. (29695 Views)

If You're Asked For Any Of These While Job Hunting, Run For Cover! / 5 Great Work-from-home Jobs You Can Do While Job Hunting / Some Fun While Job Hunting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by Lotusflowerbomb: 7:06pm On Aug 13, 2020
My trouser tore whilst coming down from Bike

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by Chuukwudi(m): 7:06pm On Aug 13, 2020
Ok
Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by MrOjay1(m): 7:06pm On Aug 13, 2020
grin
Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by TechDaddy(m): 7:06pm On Aug 13, 2020
A wise man once told me;

The Nigerian Job market can be likened to a man throwing two pieces of corn kernels to five thousand birds and asking them to feed.

That's the story of getting good jobs in this country. I never understood how hard it was until I graduated.

If you have anybody in school who still thinks his only obligation is to make 2:1 and graduate, please let them know it is far more than that.

1) What connections have they started making in their field/course?

2) How many internships have they undergone or planning to do?

3) What other related skills can they add to their Certificate to make themselves employable. Example, people who studied Computer Science, can they program, develop apps and websites?

4) Are there low risk businesses they can start doing right from school so even if job doesn't come immediately they will have a source of income, not asking people money for recharge card, etc?

5) Do they have plans to study/move abroad? Have they started researching on affordable schools, scholarships etc?

These and many more!

Nigeria is not like before that once you graduate you become a Chief. Everything na struggle oo. The streets are hard.

Start planning for the future the moment you enter school. No just carry book for head. Think Critically and get people who can mentor you.

My two cents.

82 Likes 11 Shares

Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by Jaqenhghar: 7:06pm On Aug 13, 2020
IamSalt:
Make God no allow us hide our face from our old class mates. Hustle must pay one day, cuz God no go shame us.
Thats why I no dey go any old students reunion. Na just congregation of monitors to monitor who don make am and who never make am. They will tell you nonsense like reunion is an avenue to help one another but I know plenty of my guys when dey roast nobody don help them. angry angry angry

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by Ade3131: 7:07pm On Aug 13, 2020
Book space keep... I'm coming back
Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by dejavubobo1(m): 7:07pm On Aug 13, 2020
Dressed up feeling cool, with new haircut... unfortunately it was a GNLD issh. I just weak wen I got to the address sent to my phone. That's the last time it happened sha

12 Likes

Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by HoluGraze: 7:07pm On Aug 13, 2020
The rate at which Nlers use in booking space is scaring.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by Kharol1234: 7:08pm On Aug 13, 2020
Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by brainhgeek(m): 7:08pm On Aug 13, 2020
Nuttella:
I finished my NYSC as a fresh babe, I had high hopes, there was this highly influential man on my Facebook that had promised to collect my CV after my NYSC, immediately I finished my NYSC, I talked with him, he said thankGod you are done, it's not easy, then I asked him if I can send my CV to him now that I'm done since he said I should do so when I'm done, this man kept my message on read, I still chatted up again and again, he still kept my message on read. I tire for Nigerian men. Men will shame you. I guess he was especting punna before he gives me the slot but this baby girl ain't gonna part with it. wink

Who knows...might be too early to conclude

5 Likes

Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by ntyce(m): 7:08pm On Aug 13, 2020
Ok
Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by Roinews: 7:09pm On Aug 13, 2020
This experience eh. I would share mine.

Meanwhile, After watching this video, you would fall in love with Bbnaija Erica. Watch the touching and inspiring story and struggles of Erica and Her Single Mum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhZyCiF65Go
Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by Oizee(f): 7:10pm On Aug 13, 2020
Geypya:
Mine was years ago . I say make I try my luck for FIRS. Woke up that morning, carried my everly arranged and gallant CV , bath, dressed up and headed straight to a FIRS branch at Lagos. Back then person wey dey work for inland revenue service na big boy just like Chevron. As I entered the gate, I saw two angry looking security coming my way . They were like "bros who you dey find". Me that I don't even know who I was looking for I didn't even know what to say. Then one of them shouted "pls get out". As a Nigerian graduate wey naturally get ego , I told them to talk to me politely and stop shouting. They even started pushing me , I felt like the ground should swallow me. One sexy chick was passing by (obviously working there ) approached the scene to know what was going on. She told me to pass a call to whoever invited me , I said okay and pretended to go outside to make the call. I jejely walked back home in shame.

Second was months after that incidence, I got a job as a gateman in a firm. Never had I been so embarassed in my life. Customers talking to you anyhow like you're shìt. Infact they see gatemen as lowlives. Infact I used to wear facecap and dark shades just incase I bump into any of my old classmate. I just dey imagine one of my old time coursemate driving in in a sleek car and me wey be gateman open gate for am lol.. well imagination later turn reality. It happened for real. Thank God for my dark shades and face cap but it wasn't enough. . I hid my face when I noticed he started staring at me like he knew me from somewhere.

Thank God for today, ventured into business. Things aren't rosy but as long as God is on the throne, there is hope.
God will bless your business. There's no reason to be shy in anything you are doing, as long as it's legit and doesn't make u beg from people before u eat . They will laugh but at least you don't have to beg before u do anything little u can.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by Thelimitbreaker(m): 7:10pm On Aug 13, 2020
Watching all the lies o..... cool
Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by Olalekank(m): 7:10pm On Aug 13, 2020
It was during one of these ASUU strikes and I was looking for an internship badly.

I eventually got the opportunity for one interview. I was preparing for a coding/technical interview and had probably never attended an interview at that point in my life. There were two interviewers, a man and a woman.

They asked me “Tell me about yourself”, I didn’t know what to say. I just went blank. I had not prepared for questions like that. I could tell the interviewers were wondering what was wrong with the stupid candidate in front of them. The both of them decided to leave the room for me to relax myself. I carried phone to sharply google “how to answer tell me about yourself” but I didn’t get the opportunity before the interviewers came back into the room.

They asked me the same question again and I went blank. Then the male interviewer and I started talking about football lol lol. He asked a few technical questions after that.

Eventually, he opened my GitHub to check my previous projects. He found a php project and asked me if I write php. I responded instantly that I hate php and that it was a friend who contributed that code to my GitHub. He asked me what language I thought they used in the company your guess is as good as mine. They used php

I knew I had bleeped up. They said they were going to get back to me but all of us in that room knew I was not going to get that job.

Thanks to that embarrassing interview, it shaped the way I approached technical interviews.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by Wuzyurdaddy(m): 7:10pm On Aug 13, 2020
Nigeria na* cruise, hustle for yourself and stop dropping CV's here and there, it will pay you on the long run, trust me.

8 Likes

Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by librangyps(f): 7:11pm On Aug 13, 2020
DonDemu:
I Got to the interview without my resume and when they asked me for it I just stared back blank faced, my throat was dry and when I wanted to explain that I assumed they should have it, then just as I stared speaking, spit flew from my mouth onto the face of the HR staff. As she jerked backwards, her cup of coffee in her other hand spilled alll over her white suit and she screamed because it was hot and she fell backwards onto the glass table which shattered.

I got up and left in a hurry and ended up crashing into the glass sliding door and it broke to pieces.

This is hilarious

Did this really happen?

8 Likes

Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by vickydevoka(m): 7:12pm On Aug 13, 2020
brainhgeek:

Don't you know ladies any More. Dats where all their thinking goes to. I hardly help ladies buh if I do I can't never ask Dem for any thing in return

10 Likes

Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by pretydiva(f): 7:12pm On Aug 13, 2020
DonDemu:
I Got to the interview without my resume and when they asked me for it I just stared back blank faced, my throat was dry and when I wanted to explain that I assumed they should have it, then just as I stared speaking, spit flew from my mouth onto the face of the HR staff. As she jerked backwards, her cup of coffee in her other hand spilled alll over her white suit and she screamed because it was hot and she fell backwards onto the glass table which shattered.

I got up and left in a hurry and ended up crashing into the glass sliding door and it broke to pieces.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha. This really cracked me up. Are you for real or it's a joke

4 Likes

Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by moneyissweet(m): 7:12pm On Aug 13, 2020
I started connecting and collecting from secondary school sef...if you know,then u be real niggar.

Na old classmates dey hide dia face for me now

Person wey I go work for Dem never born.

14 Likes

Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by soleexx(m): 7:12pm On Aug 13, 2020
Messedup my interview by saying something different
I guess I was over confident about my field generally...
Well, I'm glad it went that way... The pay wasn't impressive.
Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by tballeyy(m): 7:13pm On Aug 13, 2020
Is when I travel from Lagos to kano by train, unfortunately the train have engine problem, and took us a day before putting the engine in plays. They done the interview, while I'm in the bush

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by Kharol1234: 7:13pm On Aug 13, 2020
DonDemu:

nice joke

5 Likes

Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by vickydevoka(m): 7:13pm On Aug 13, 2020
brainhgeek:

Don't you know ladies any More. Dats where all their thinking goes to. I hardly help ladies buh if I do I can't never ask Dem for any thing in return. Since olosho no pass 1k 2k, y will I belittle myself infm front of one small gal. Some men de try I swear

8 Likes

Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by DaddyMorenike: 7:13pm On Aug 13, 2020
DonDemu:

I get the video.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by Vulcanheph(m): 7:13pm On Aug 13, 2020
I remember once during one of the numerous assu strikes, i wanted to do any small job to make some extra cash before school resumes , i went to this bar to ask if there was any vacancy and the way the manager there looked at me when i told him of my intentions made me feel sub-human , before he told me that there wasn't any, i had already made up my mind to not work there anymore.

8 Likes

Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by Nobody: 7:14pm On Aug 13, 2020
librangyps:

This is hilarious
Did this really happen?
Ehen na cheesy
Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by angelfallz(m): 7:14pm On Aug 13, 2020
phorget:
The last thing I'll ever do is hidding my face from whoever,as long as what I'm doing is legit and putting food on my table.
If I hide my face how I wan take see help ke?

Another angle
Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by Nobody: 7:14pm On Aug 13, 2020
pretydiva:

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha. This really cracked me up. Are you for real or it's a joke
For real oo
Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by nairalee(m): 7:14pm On Aug 13, 2020
DonDemu:

Pls what's the title of this Jim Carrey comedic movie?

20 Likes

Re: What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. by librangyps(f): 7:14pm On Aug 13, 2020
DonDemu:
Ehen na cheesy

This one loud
Village people put hand

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Npower Selective Allowance Payment: We Have Not Been Paid!!! / The Nigerian Navy Recruitment Result (NNBTS BATCH 21) / Maersk Graduate Programme 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.