Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,707 members, 7,820,480 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:37 PM

Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. (38987 Views)

Igbos In Cross River Shut Down Shops Over Kidnapping Of Their Brothers / Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant / Fire Razes Down Shops In Ikotun, Betterlife Ijora Markets(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by chukwuibuipob: 12:24pm On Aug 15, 2020
sad
Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by ogododo: 12:25pm On Aug 15, 2020
Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by Nobody: 12:26pm On Aug 15, 2020
Lhanre:
Nigerians always love to ignore it find their way around laws, but when the law catches onto them they begin to cry wolf

Did you ever find out when the law was amended to target Nigerians?

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by iamoyindamola(m): 12:27pm On Aug 15, 2020
Nigerians and entitlement feeling, going to another man's land to bypass law and cry foul later

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by Iriruaga100(m): 12:29pm On Aug 15, 2020
The op is ill informed!! The law is targeted at Nigerians doing business in Ghana. You have lot of Chinese, Lebanese doing retail business in Ghana yet their shops are still open for business. You don’t see them targeting Ivorians or Togolese. We leave this for foreign affairs minister to tackle.

11 Likes

Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by Woleett: 12:31pm On Aug 15, 2020
Tomorrow these same ghana animals would be going around the world claiming to be a pan african nation just to scam ignorant black diasporans. I don't blame them anyway na the mumu Nigerians who hype that village especially all these dumb igbo people always quick to rubbish Nigeria in the presence of foreigners. Come back to your zoo and stop disturbing us abeg. I pray they deport every Nigerian in that ghana so Nigerians would be taught patriotism by force

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by lexy2014: 12:31pm On Aug 15, 2020
tribalmall:
Laws can be enforced anyhow those who established it chose to enforce it. If they turn blind eye to Chinese it is not Nigeria's problem, after all Nigeria allows rice from Chinese but you bar land border transactions with Ghana.

D law is to that extent discriminatory and it's therefore inhuman. So u are wrong in ur summation

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by Nobody: 12:32pm On Aug 15, 2020
Ghanians are very funny indeed.
Always fond of screaming to us about how their xenophobia is backed by law.
I don't think anyone is disputing that there's a law that prevents foreigners from retailing;but showing me an extract from your constitution doesn't change the fact that it remains xenophobia.
Is this the first time inhumanity has been backed by law?
You think that whatever you put in law is right just by virtue of being law.
Slavery was legal in the US after all.
Segregation was legal.
Apartheid was the law of the land in SA.
Showing me a piece of your law doesn't erase your xenophobia, ghanians made the law right?
Anyway it's a shame that ghanas idea of providing employment for her citizens,is to push out immigrants from petty retail jobs.
They've been given the impression that foreigners dominating their retail sector is the problem of Ghana.
While their government shyly avoids real economic development.
With the way they over hype their country,youd think this wouldn't be their idea of employment and economic growth.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by oluwaseyi0: 12:32pm On Aug 15, 2020
H
Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by kiddkash(m): 12:33pm On Aug 15, 2020
but many of them own shops in Nigeria.

the favor needs to be returned

11 Likes

Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by baiaon(m): 12:33pm On Aug 15, 2020
Iriruaga100:
The op is ill informed!! The law is targeted at Nigerians doing business in Ghana. You have lot of Chinese, Lebanese doing retail business in Ghana yet their shops are still open for business. You don’t see them targeting Ivorians or Togolese. We leave this for foreign affairs minister to tackle.
No one ever punches a rock but there are always quick to punch pillows

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by MondayOsunbor(m): 12:34pm On Aug 15, 2020
Lhanre:
Nigerians always love to ignore it find their way around laws, but when the law catches onto them they begin to cry wolf

IMAGINE EVEN AMERICA ACCEPT 500K DOLLAR DIRECT INVESTMENT GREEN VISA

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by nzube89(m): 12:34pm On Aug 15, 2020
Rossikk:

You're right. Very draconian and discriminatory laws.
Guy it is their country something like this also exist in Morocco like taxi is only for their citizens nothing like uber here same with anything agriculture and it is really lifting their citizens out of poverty

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by ADMAF(m): 12:34pm On Aug 15, 2020
Sakamaje:
I can't help but agree with the Op. I think Nigerians can generally have a high tendency to be very lawless in other countries if allowed. Maybe Ghanaians themselves encouraged the flouting of their own laws initially when they deemed it harmless. But apparently they are now feeling threatened that if something is not done their local retail markets could be overrun by Nigerians who may be coming in with funds being sourced from [/s]questionable [s]sources that their local retailers can't compete with. In light of that I can't say I blame them for protecting their turf. If every country simply allows foreigners free reign to come in and compete in their markets without certain restrictions, many countries would be overrun by foreigners in no time. There is nothing like absolute free trade anywhere in the world.

Let's not be naive. Even the developed countries have protectionist policies that protect certain sectors of their local markets/economy, so let's be guided.
Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by Yigalanshey(m): 12:35pm On Aug 15, 2020
W grin
Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by HundredWays(m): 12:35pm On Aug 15, 2020
hammer8:

BRO STOP WASTING YOUR TIME ON IDIOTS.

THE ONLY THING THAT PAINS ME IS THAT AM NOT PART OF THIS FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OTHERWISE, GHANIANS THEMSELVES WILL BE BEGGING FOR FORGIVENESS.

ALL THEIR CITIZENS IN NIGERIA WILL BE FORCEFULLY REMOVED FROM THEIR PLACE OF WORK AND BAN FROM ENGAGING IN ANY SORT OF WORK IN NIGERIA.

EVEN HERE ON NAIRALAND, I EXPECT MYND44 TO DELETE THREAD LIKE THIS, THAT INSULT OUR COLLECTIVE INTELLIGENCE AND PUT OP ON LIFE BAN.

WE DONT NEED GHANIAN FOREIGNERS HERE.

THIS IS A NIGERIAN FORUM. WTF!
Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by lonlytroy(m): 12:36pm On Aug 15, 2020
So they want to do Nigeria must Go bag

Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by PrudencyFeats: 12:37pm On Aug 15, 2020
Blue3k:

Source: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.gipcghana.com/press-and-media/downloads/promotional-materials/3-gipc-act-2013-act-865/file.html&ved=2ahUKEwil7NrBhJzrAhWIbs0KHRM8D-UQFjACegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw2j7rO0P3eXRgXcv7QD3niL

Despite our unemployment rate of 80 million we did not put any law reserving any kind of job/business or production for Nigerians.

If our government should follow this step even some medium scale foreign owned businesses will be closed down here. If that is the way to go... Let kick the ball rolling.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by Fulcrum15: 12:37pm On Aug 15, 2020
Peacemaker5129:
Ibos should respect their host community
Ghana is not Lagos
To make matters worse you are a woman. Such a shallow mind. Well we have to partition this country one way or the other someday. I see no use sharing a country with people like you .

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by jerryunit48: 12:38pm On Aug 15, 2020
Lhanre:
yet collecting taxes for the said businesses abi ?

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by Ventura1: 12:38pm On Aug 15, 2020
Many people condemning the Ghanaians never knew Nigeria operates almost similar law. It's one of the reason Buhari initially refused to ratify the African Continental Free Trade Area agreement.

African countries with bouyant industrial activities will flood the others who are struggling with goods.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by doffman: 12:39pm On Aug 15, 2020
hammer8:

BRO STOP WASTING YOUR TIME ON IDIOTS.

THE ONLY THING THAT PAINS ME IS THAT AM NOT PART OF THIS FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OTHERWISE, GHANIANS THEMSELVES WILL BE BEGGING FOR FORGIVENESS.

ALL THEIR CITIZENS IN NIGERIA WILL BE FORCEFULLY REMOVED FROM THEIR PLACE OF WORK AND BAN FROM ENGAGING IN ANY SORT OF WORK IN NIGERIA.

EVEN HERE ON NAIRALAND, I EXPECT MYND44 TO DELETE THREAD LIKE THIS, THAT INSULT OUR COLLECTIVE INTELLIGENCE AND PUT OP ON LIFE BAN.

WE DONT NEED GHANIAN FOREIGNERS HERE.

THIS IS A NIGERIAN FORUM. WTF!

I tell you . the op that post this to front page might be from Ghanian descendant .
Nonsense .
Nigerians should expel all those Ghanians that work in Nigeria also.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by Deborah98(f): 12:40pm On Aug 15, 2020
Ghana like feeling like what I don't know,they way they keep oppressing Nigerians over there one will think we are not humans, seriously if not for the bad government we have and how corrupt they seem to be who will leave his country only to suffer dejection and frustration in a foreign land,it's well.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by nkiliuzo(m): 12:41pm On Aug 15, 2020
what sort of BS is this, I don't think Nigeria has these kinds of laws yet other countries are using it against us. all these started over land border closure, Ghanaians are wacked up in the head

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by Nukilia: 12:41pm On Aug 15, 2020
When the time comes, Nigeria will get a true leader who will stand to defend Nigerians in every part of the world

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by stagger: 12:42pm On Aug 15, 2020
Iriruaga100:

Those guys you mentioned are not a threat to Ghana. Nigeria is. What do you expect?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by DarkJeddi(m): 12:42pm On Aug 15, 2020
tribalmall:
Laws can be enforced anyhow those who established it chose to enforce it. If they turn blind eye to Chinese it is not Nigeria's problem, after all Nigeria allows rice from Chinese but you bar land border transactions with Ghana.

Who told you Nigeria allows rice from China?
Foreign rice are contraband whether from land or sea,any one you see was smuggled into the country..

10 Likes

Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by Asour: 12:43pm On Aug 15, 2020
Dedetwo:

The above regulations are antihuman and specifically anti-immigrants. The regulations are simply draconian. These freaking Ghanaians cannot survive a day if other Africans state stood up such laws against Ghana as a country. Where are the doctrines of ECOWA? These retrogressive policy and Ghanaian government should be hold accountable for this inhumanity against fellow Africans. What a shame.

True. However Ghana is for Ghanians First.

They also don't owe us an explanation. Again didn't Nigeria expel Ghanians en masse more than 30 years ago?

Trust me, if push comes to shove, Nigeria would institute similar laws too and what would you say then ?

I have thought a lot about this, But was it not the same Nigeria that a Governor in the Southeast sacked indigenes of another state in that Geopolitical zone to employ its own people?

When the chips are down [even] in the family, a man has to decide which of his children would eat the available meal and which would have to die of starvation— a rather extreme analogy but you probably get the gist.

8 Likes

Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by Jaqenhghar: 12:43pm On Aug 15, 2020
hisgrace090:
But this their new law gives no room for ECOWAS protocols of retailing ECOWAS made goods at all.
When did ECOWAS start manufacturing goods?
Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by abimic(m): 12:43pm On Aug 15, 2020
Nigerians are just everywhere, aside from white men, and these Togolese, Beninese who do shoe maker etc me never see Ghanaians o do trade here in lagos. Frankly like i put yesterday, i knew the ease of doing business in ghana would be so low esp for foreigners to just hit the ground running in size of petty traders, these laws are too Draconian. Our government is too docile and never respected by foreign countries because even FG always rate foreigners higher than Nigerians in our own country.
Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by gaskiyamagana: 12:44pm On Aug 15, 2020
Dedetwo:

The above regulations are antihuman and specifically anti-immigrants. The regulations are simply draconian. These freaking Ghanaians cannot survive a day if other Africans state stood up such laws against Ghana as a country. Where are the doctrines of ECOWA? These retrogressive policy and Ghanaian government should be hold accountable for this inhumanity against fellow Africans. What a shame.

Do your con3 well well. B4 it is too late, they just want to stop you from termitizing their economy with one magomago or the other that is very very clear to them.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by Jaqenhghar: 12:45pm On Aug 15, 2020
Iriruaga100:
They dont want petty trade. Simple. The way you open kiosks and stalls indiscriminately in Niggeria is not the way it is done in other countries. You open shops any how anywhere constituting a nuisance to the society and its not as if its one serious income that stall generates

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Godwin Emefiele, How Hard Is It To Print New 100 Naira Notes?! Educate Us!! / Akin Alabi: My Mum's Driver Thought I Was A Yahoo Boy - Nairabet CEO / Man Exposes How Traders Reduce The Content Of Bags Of Rice Before Selling Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.