Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,712 members, 7,824,022 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:36 PM

Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. - Business (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. (38999 Views)

Igbos In Cross River Shut Down Shops Over Kidnapping Of Their Brothers / Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant / Fire Razes Down Shops In Ikotun, Betterlife Ijora Markets(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by tsspsolutions: 7:39am On Aug 16, 2020
Rossikk:

The problem is not the laws. The problem is that they only enforce them on Nigerians. Other traders from Mali, Ivory Coast, Togo, Benin etc are allowed to trade anyhow they want. Only Nigerians are targeted. There are also laws against illegal mining in Ghana, yet there are thousands of Chinese, Indians and Lebanese mining gold illegally there with impunity. So, Ghana has laws. Just that they only enforce them on Nigerians.

Horrible Chinese, Indians and Lebanese with their madness everywhere they go.
We will surely chase them out at the appropriate time.
Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by lagosrd: 8:00am On Aug 16, 2020
The problem we have really are people like this mod and all others supporting this writeup. I don't have business in Ghana neither do I have a family there. I have been to Ghana and they seems to love Nigerians at a point.

The reality is that your kind of thinking is a selfish, parochial , insensitive and inhumane type with no human face. You will sacrifice your families for the law and open your eyes wide enough for others to bail theirs out all in the name of integrity.
It is called a sell out mentality.

Do you think we don't also have laws here in Nigeria which most ghanians flout? Are they suppose to be English teachers when most of them have no university education to support same. The are virtually in all sectors of our economy too and you never saw anything bad in that. Their people are still everywhere doing dirty low jobs. Shoemaking, okada, etc

You think if Nigeria stands up to reciprocate all the nonsense these African leaders are doing , you think they can survive it.
Now imagine that when south Africa started killing Nigeria, Nigerian govt should just go to south Africa sincerely evacuate all Nigerians, get beck home start killing all south African and taking over their big businesses do you think their president won't come herd to beg and we will call his bluff? . Not even Ghana can survive same treatment in a month from Nigeria. Shut our borders against Togo and Benin their economy will crash terribly

The truth Is that it is no fault of those Nigerians migrating there same way people migrate everywhere in the world even Mexicans want to live in the us by all means possible.

Let us be compassionate and reasonable . No Nigerians violates Nigerian constitution more than our leaders and foreigners. Indians suddenly became gods, Lebanese , south africans , egyptians and all manners of human beings yet we moved on. The moment Nigeria makes laws such as

All illegal immigrants should vacate in 2 day . with seriousness , you doubt imagine the king of refugees that will be greater than what they are sending back to us will look like.

Also imagine Nigeria disconnecting the assistance we are doing to all other African countries and we should withdraw our electricity like Russia did to Georgia, you think they can cope, their seat of govt will run of I pass my neigbour.

so let us be reasonable, the other day they demolished our embassy, can they demolish an american embassy in Ghana . it is these poor traders today it could be you tomorrow.

Ghanaians that I know are very good people , ready to assit without any bribe and Nigerian too should follow orders especially our Igbo brothers trading . the ones doing cooperate business don't behave like those their boys even some yorubas have no business going out of here they mist time follow their brothers and sisters out of the country and suddenly become uncontrollable to the good and kind gesture of their brothers and sisters and even to their country of host.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by passion007: 8:09am On Aug 16, 2020
tubolancer:
The ubiquitous Easterners have dominated their markets over there that gave rise to the hullabaloo. They should learn from the Ibos jare,the secret of their business, not this hate,hate things. Can they fight with the Lebanese or the Chinese like this?

Why is it always about domination with you lot. I'm sure that is the root of the problem, always overstating your relevance, constantly announcing you've dominated the scene, then the local population gets threatened and activate antagonist laws, then you start moaning and whining.
How many Chinese or Lebanese go about stating how they've dominated the scene. Please shut your mouth whilst you're dominating, that's what the Chinese and Lebanese do.
Sheeesh!
Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by watchindelta(m): 8:49am On Aug 16, 2020
jrtorrents:

The Africans in Italy will have papers or Italian citizenship allowing them to have right engage in any business. Try going there on tourist visa and setting up shop there. The smart Nigerians marry a Ghanaian and get citizenship!
you can't use tourist visa to do noting before, if you have working documents of (permesso di soggiorno) and the necessary papers to set up the shop you are good to go. You don't need citizenship to start shop here.
Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by newisd75: 11:05am On Aug 16, 2020
Sakamaje:
I can't help but agree with the Op. I think Nigerians can generally have a high tendency to be very lawless in other countries if allowed. Maybe Ghanaians themselves encouraged the flouting of their own laws initially when they deemed it harmless. But apparently they are now feeling threatened that if something is not done their local retail markets could be overrun by Nigerians who may be coming in with funds being sourced from questionable sources that their local retailers can't compete with. In light of that I can't say I blame them for protecting their turf. If every country simply allows foreigners free reign to come in and compete in their markets without certain restrictions, many countries would be overrun by foreigners in no time. There is nothing like absolute free trade anywhere in the world.

Let's not be naive. Even the developed countries have protectionist policies that protect certain sectors of their local markets/economy, so let's be guided.

Don't kid yourself. No West African country is a slave to any ecowas protocol. Even Nigeria herself violated that so-called protocol when it shut its borders recently. When Nigeria deported millions of Ghanaians decades ago, it didn't need to ask for anybody's permission. Every democratic and sovereign nation is first of all subject to the wishes of its people before any sub-regional protocol. The issue can quickly degenerate into a political one for the Ghanaian government hence what you are seeing happening. The Ghanaian government is only yielding to the yearnings and requests of its people to prevent Nigerians from engaging in retail trading in their country, ecowas protocols are secondary in priority.
that is because 2 wrong can't make a right. buhari who close nigeria boarders from trading should not expect other african nations 2 ignore his action
Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by Nobody: 11:59am On Aug 17, 2020
madridsta007:

Nigeria kicked out thousands of Ghanaians in a “Ghana Must Go” campaign some decades ago.
No country ever forgets. Because a “country” is made up of people and people neither forgive nor forget.

Ghana did it first to Nigerians in 1954. A lot of Nigerian merchants were deported home enmasse.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by madridsta007(m): 12:04pm On Aug 17, 2020
Bagehot:

Ghana did it first to Nigerians in 1954. A lot of Nigerian merchants were deported home enmasse.

Yes, I know.

This is tit for tat.

Nigeria, whenever you eventually have a government and a thriving economy, deport the Ghanaians.
But for now, Ghana knows Nigeria is governmentless. You think the recent destruction of a building in the Nigerian embassy and this deportation is by mistake?

Ghana knows.
Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by ChaosMagus: 5:08pm On Aug 20, 2020
colonelwealth:

This ur post is deceitful & full of malicious intents.
Am know in ur heart, u r one of those tribal bigots & u can't even hide it. U r rejoicing over ill treatment to ur country men.

These rubbish laws u posted&r applauding here, do they look just to u?
Why is that only Nigerian traders r always targeted ?
Will they b able to take d same treatment if Nigerian govt applies same treatment to ghanains in Nigeria?

Mind u all Nigerians&traders across tribes r victims of ghanains vengeful deeds.
All these has nothing to do with Igbo traders... Ghanains r known to resent everything Nigerian and shows it at any slightest opportunity.
1st it was Nigerian diplomatic building which obviously isn't own by 'Igbo' traders.
They r d only west African country always ready to challenge&ridicule Nigeria at international levels.

Know now that the cause of all these is the Ghana must go of 1980s by Shagari govt&lagosians which wasn't done by Igbo traders.
Now plus Buhari boarder issue which they r pained more than those that share boarders with Nigeria.
Ghana targets anything Nigeria both govt&individuals.

All these una tribal bigotry displays here which these foreigners follows gives them d impetus to always rubbish us.

Nigerians learn when to draw the line between ur online banters for our collective good and our government must sit up to put these 'wannabe' countries to order.

Listen to yourself '' wannabe countries". You call a country that is and has always been a paragon of democracy and good governance in Africa a "wannabe country". When Gowon and Ojukwu were heading to Ghana for Aburi Accord, they didn't know Ghana was a "wannabe country". You say all this, Yet you expect them to respect and treat you well. Your statement is not too different from the general view of the average Nigerian. So why am I suprised.

Ok For those of you who don't know or have chosen not to know, it was Nigerian that showed Ghana and other African countries how to break ecowas laws.
First you chased away other Africans, mainly Ghanaians from your country, few years after you had signed to be part of an organization(ecowas) which you headquartered, and you are supposed to be the leader. Most of you argue that Ghana did it first, but when Ghana did theirs there was nothing like ecowas, Ecowas was founded in 75, Ghanaians we're chased away in 83. Indeed the Ghanaians Government that started the alience compliance order were Nkrumahs adversaries who were opposed to his African agenda. Ghana had always been accommodating to other Africans since beginning. You can ask Hausas and Yorubas.

Had ecowas existed in the 60s, Ghanaians wouldn't have tried that knowing very well what it will do to it's image.

Secondly, Nigeria governments in the past release a list they call import prohibition list which bans items, that can be produced in Nigeria example chocolates, even those produced in Ghana. Mind you these have happened over several regimes. Even though I must admit the authorities have relaxed the enforcement of such laws in recent times.

Then we come to the recent border closure, in a blantant disregard for ecowas you shut down your border to your neighbours, while your products were all over in Ghana. You were cheering your Government for that. Some were even boasting about how you were about to cripple Ghana's economy.
You did all these while fully knowing ecowas rules. As a Ghanain I must admit I am not too happy about this, I wish we work together with one vision and mission as Africans. But you set a precedence and others followed, you have no moral right to cry foul now.
Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by ChaosMagus: 5:33pm On Aug 20, 2020
Ironi:

These laws have long been in existence.

Nigeria has its own laws, go do your research and post some of Nigerian’s laws.

As we speak , Nigeria does not allow certain products to enter Nigeria from Ghana or wherever.

Allow them to wallow in their ignorance. They argue that Ghana does not produce anything, we only import them into Ghana and repackage and export to Nigeria.

But they also forget that the Nigerian traders sell imported products from China etc.

So by their logic it's ok for Nigerian traders to come and import cheap products into Ghana, but Ghanaians traders cannot import same product and re-export to Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops. by Nobody: 2:03am On Aug 29, 2020
pentsystems:

These law is a bad law I can’t imagine when do Ghana official currency becomes USD that they are asking for $1 million usd investment capital even the US is only asking for 500,000 usd investment package which is reasonable . Another reason is that the US minimum wage is about $8 per hour and averaging $100 per day While Ghanaian minimum wage is averagely just a peanut of just $2.12 usd per day saying they want a foreign investors of $1 million dollar is a bad policy targeted towards their fellow poor Africans countries that can’t afford that kind of capital for investment .. I think what they would have done is to increase the taxation on foreign operated business and reduce the tax on locally owned business that would have helped their locally owned business to be competitive with foreign owned businesses Than just closing down the foreign owned businesses that is already existing that is what the US did to China and other countries that caused the trade war is a way forward..
you sent a mail? sorry cant acess my mail for now.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Man Exposes How Traders Reduce The Content Of Bags Of Rice Before Selling Them / Akin Alabi: My Mum's Driver Thought I Was A Yahoo Boy - Nairabet CEO / Aba Mega Mall, Beautiful Ultra Modern Business Zone (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.