Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,297 members, 7,850,055 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 01:32 PM

South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria (17779 Views)

14 Cities In Africa That Are More Developed Than Lagos And Abuja. / Why Is Osogbo More Developed Than Ibadan And Abeokuta? / Why Kaduna And Kano Combined Is More Developed Than The Southeast (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by gallivant: 8:59am On Aug 22, 2020
The Capital

1 Like

Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by gallivant: 9:15am On Aug 22, 2020

2 Likes

Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by Saddamochieng00(m): 10:53am On Aug 22, 2020
Parrot69:

You know why I didn’t reply you?
It’s because you’re stupid and make baseless arguments and After watching your 16mins village housing projects in the outskirts of Nairobi, I couldn’t help but realized that you were lot more Stupider than I thought. If this is the quality of development in your Country, then I weep for you.
Africa is in a mess, Africa need to wake up!
Check the Housing units I s’en to you, then compare it with that crap of a shaft you called housing project in your country.
Swine.

Useless criminal you must be high on some shasamane weed grin grin cheesy Shameless gay goat talking out of its anus grin grin cheesy You are calling Kenya a village yet you come from the biggest zoo in the world grin grin grin grin A zoo where people fundraise for their kids to do prostitution overseas grin grin grin A zoo where common electricity you can't produce grin grin grin

Don't fvck around with I don't fvck with no niggas grin angry angry

4 Likes

Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by Saddamochieng00(m): 11:18am On Aug 22, 2020
Parrot69:
Some unclothed animals in human clothing will who don’t have international passports will be talking trash about being developed more than Nigeria, this is for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJMjFHXAuE8

Look at this idiot....that name tells it all. Nigeria is a certified zoo...a criminal infested zoo for that fact. cool Never in your life try to compare that shitty zoo to Kenya. You should be comparing yourselves to your mates in other zoos like Chad and Uganda. Abuja my ass...not even animals are fit to live in such a zoo angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by Kazikazi: 5:14pm On Aug 22, 2020
Today is Simba day in Tanzania

6 Likes

Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by Nobody: 5:40pm On Aug 22, 2020
Interesting insight. wink

Digital Nomads: Nairobi to Lagos, the city where technology fails to meet up to expectations

When you ask people the most interesting countries they’ve lived or worked and they share their experiences, the answers are never what you expect.
“But what counts as interesting and is Nigeria an interesting country?” That’s the first question Cindy asks me when she sends me a message offering to share her story. She offered to share her story after her friend sent her this tweet.

“I was born and raised in Nairobi to an average Kenyan family,” she shares, as she recounts a childhood where she had the privilege of attending some of the country’s best schools. She also has a history of never being afraid to try new things.

“I used to take part in all sports: nothing would stop me from trying something if I put my mind to it. So I ended up playing all sports; football, cricket, rugby, golf, swimming, sprint and I tried marathons. Anything I put my mind to, I went out and tried.”

Her early love for adventure meant that she shared her father’s love for travel. Her love for travel has not waned in adulthood.

“In the last few years, I set my mind to go on a trip at least once a year. I started that with Dubai and then I went to Malawi and Capetown and during that time, I got the urge to move around.”

In time, Nairobi began to seem too small for Cindy and she started to pursue other work options outside of Kenya. What happened next seemed fortuitous.

“I had gotten a job offer, but then my company which had opened an office in Lagos six months earlier gave me an offer to instead move to the Lagos office.”

Her role at the Lagos office would be to bring the office up to speed with the processes and operations they had in Kenya. Without a doubt in her mind, she packed a bag and moved to Lagos.

Wasn’t the prospect of leaving everything she knew to start over daunting? For Cindy, it wasn’t.

Instead, she says: “it’s the need to get a new start.”

Cindy’s note: A lot of people ask me, “why Lagos?” A lot of Nigerians I knew told me: “any other place but Nigeria.” But people say if you can make it in Lagos, then you can make it anywhere. I liked that challenge.

“Mentally I was prepared to come to Nigeria. Prior to the decision to move to Lagos full time, I was supposed to be here for a week or two for a knowledge transfer.”

But there’s such a big difference between visiting a country for two weeks and starting a new life there. “I told myself not to have too many expectations. I didn’t want to be in a new foreign country from home and be missing home.”

So Cindy’s method for dealing with the possibility of homesickness was to mentally commit to spending at least one year in Lagos. Her family didn’t think it was that straightforward, as they worried about her ability to survive in Lagos.

On arrival, Cindy found Lagos to be chaotic and confusing right from the airport. Cindy uses the word “chaos” four times in almost one minute and says the “chaos kept curling.”

She describes the Lagos of Chimamanda’s essay that will not “court you”. “Nothing about Lagos was crafted for the tourist, nothing done to appeal to the visitor.”

In the end, Cindy agrees with Chimamanda’s assessment: “what I had in mind was not what I saw. I was expecting something at the level of Cape Town because of what I’d seen on social media.”

Despite the difference between social media and reality, she had other things to worry about like getting a SIM Card and setting up a bank account.

SIM Cards, Internet and banking
“I got my SIM card at the airport and it took at most 15 to 20 minutes. It took the same time as it would have in a Nairobi shop or the same it took me in Cape town the week before.”

While SIM registration has been easy, she says public buses are not something she’s willing to try yet.

“I’m not too sure I have the heart to go into the Lagos danfo yet but I intend to try the BRT at the very least. For the most part, I’ve been using Uber, Bolt and private cars.”

We talk a bit more about the chaos of Lagos city transportation before switching tracks to technology. With one publication naming Kenya Africa’s leader in new technology in 2019, it is one of the continent’s leading countries in mobile payments. It is also worth mentioning that the East African country is also currently on the road to implementing digital taxes.

With her extensive experience using fintech apps and MPESA in Kenya, how do Nigeria’s banks and fintechs compare?

“Trying to get a bank account set up as a foreigner is a painful process. I did not have a bank account for about three to four months after I came into the country. The process requires a residence permit and it is tasking.”

But she’s quick to try to put it into context. It is the first time she is opening a bank account as a foreigner.

Cindy’s anecdote: The first bank account I opened, I closed within a month because of bad customer service. I got to a point where I threatened to close down the account. I asked them to send me the forms, thinking it would scare them into better service. And they sent the forms to close the account.

Eventually, she opened a second bank account and she says they have been good till date apart from the odd problem here and there.

“There are differences in banking in Kenya and Nigeria. In Kenya, a lot of people rely on mobile money to make transfers. It is rare to come across people making small bank transfers. They would rather write a cheque or withdraw the money via MPESA and send it to you.”

“In Nigeria, bank transfers are the way to go and I find it very fascinating.”

While Nigerians often complain about bank charges, Cindy says the bank charges in Kenya are more expensive.

“In Nigeria, I do not have to calculate the sending charge or the tax on it: it’s not top of mind and it’s a breath of fresh air.”

Despite these pros, it remains difficult to send money out of Nigeria, thanks to the country’s restrictive FX policy. Cindy works around this problem with apps like Chipper Cash.

Yet, away from banking, her assessment of technology in Nigeria is that the country falls short. “For most of the other things I normally would use at home when it comes to technology, it’s a bit puzzling for me because I would expect Nigeria to be far ahead of the game especially for how far they are ahead in the fintech game.”

A city behind on technology
I ask Cindy for specifics on where Nigeria falls short in technology and her first instance is with the global coronavirus pandemic.

“The coronavirus period made it visible for me as to how Nigeria is behind when it comes to being able to do online shopping. I think people start to pick up on this, it’s more on WhatsApp and less on proper portals.”

We continue down the rabbit hole of all the ways Cindy says Nigeria falls short usually on the basics, like internet and broadband penetration.

“A few weeks ago, I was doing some research for some coursework and it hit me that Nigeria’s network coverage is little for the number of people within the country. I compared the numbers to Kenya’s numbers.”

Fact check: According to the Internet world stats, Nigeria’s internet penetration is 61.2% compared to Kenya’s 87.2%

“Besides mobile data, what I find difficult to deal with is home internet which seems to be a rare option. In the cases where you find a service provider that can do that, you’re almost paying an arm and a leg.”

Cindy says that even with the prices charged for home internet, it often comes with a lot of push and pull as well as downtimes. She contrasts the Nigerian situation with Kenya where Safaricom has been able to push the boundaries of the kind of home internet in the country.

The internet is only one instance. She is also puzzled by how logistics and dispatch services operate in Lagos.

“When it comes to deliveries, I have not come across a tool that allows me as the buyer to have visibility on where my delivery is. I have to rely on the vendor or the rider to give me a call and let me know where they are and when they will get to me.”

In a time when we’re relying more on grocery shops making door deliveries, there’s no doubt that a tool like this will make all the difference.

In the end, she agrees that both countries have more to do in terms of technological growth. “While there’s a lot of excitement, there’s still so much to be done and there are ideas that are yet to be tapped into for Africa.”

But where do both countries rank on a scale of 1-10 for Cindy’s tech experiences?

“I’ll put Nigeria at about a 6 and Kenya at about an 8 or 9 based on where they currently are.”

1 Like 1 Share

Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by Nobody: 6:50pm On Aug 22, 2020
I can see the orphaned sons in the other dead thread trying to attract attention via senile and outdated ad hominem. Little do they know how outsmarted they are grin We can't comment there, but they are dying to comment here grin cheesy Every day they check this thread and to their horror it is almost as long as theirs despite being only a few days old. They will eventually learn you cant save a dying mule grin

1 Like

Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by Nobody: 7:12pm On Aug 22, 2020
Government ICT Seriousness Rankings: Kenya Most Serious About ICT

When it comes to ICTs, Government’s role is to create and sustain a conducive environment through regulation and legislation.

In addition, a sound government strategy should also consider making strategic investments (aka stimulus plans in the financial and economics world), promoting home grown ICT private sector and addressing appropriate skills development in the education and training sector.

Lastly, any government strategy or intervention should recognize and address the critical facets of the ICT eco-system which I would roughly categorize as infrastructure, content and applications and services.

How do African countries measure up against these ICT seriousness criteria?

A cursory review would reveal that most (but certainly not all) African countries have taken steps to enact conducive ICT legislation and provide an enabling ICT regulatory regime, promoting open and somewhat fair competition and private sector participation. Witness the mobile phone growth phenomenon in Africa, liberal telecommunication licensing regimes or the fact that many countries are exempting taxes on ICT hardware and software.

Many countries in Africa are also making some strategic investments in infrastructure in the form of national backbone networks partly thanks to Chinese money. But few are actually taking active steps to promote and invest in local content, applications and services even though the rhetoric at major ICT conferences often centers on promoting local content and languages so as to avoid “digital neo-colonization”.

Even fewer are actively promoting the local ICT private sector as far as I know. And while ICT skills development is increasingly on the lips of many African education officials, few countries are walking the talk.

Kenya is distinguishing its self by “walking the talk” on many of these issues.

Take infrastructure investments- not only has the country invested in a national fiber backbone, it went one further with its own submarine fiber (TEAMS). Talk of promoting the local ICT private sector and consider that the government is subsidizing satellite connectivity for the BPO sector until prices come down with fiber roll out and providing other subsidies for office space and training. There are challenges to be sure but at least the government is taking active measures.

The recent announcement by the government to stimulate the local content and application development is most likely ground breaking in the region.

On the skills development front, the government is taking active measures: the 300 computers for schools in every Kenyan constituency in the recent budget, the one million laptops programme initially targeting university students and various skills development programmes underway in the country.

The government is also moving to tackle “anti-competition” issues in the ICT sector in a bid to open up the sector for more players. A recent comparative review of ICT uptake in Kenya and Tanzania in balancing-act Africa also reveals quite clearly why Kenya is ahead of its peers.

eGovernment investment

One factor, not included in my seriousness criteria above, by which I usually judge a countries’ seriousness about ICT is the extent to which the government itself is adopting ICTs- aka e-government. After all, charity should begin at home.

I believe that Kenya is taking e-government seriously:

All government ministries have fairly well staffed ICT departments courtesy of the e-government directorate in the office of the president set up to coordinate e-government issues.

Local area networks have been upgraded.
Most ministries now have website which are regularly updated.
Key services are increasingly being digitized.
Mobile phone services are being integrated into the e-government strategy.
Even more importantly, concrete investment in the necessary infrastructure and applications is being and continues to be made.

1 Like

Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 10:34pm On Aug 22, 2020
Parrot69:

Every damn Sub-saharan Country in Africa import human hair! Even the United States import too. I don’t understand what’s your point. You end up talking shit about your country but fail to realize this, also problem with other countries too. I’m amazed at your supidity, can you name the countries you’ve been to by the way?? I tell people Black man needs to wake up! Africa needs to wake up!!
This is the 21st century, other continents are racing colonize Mars, grabbing Colonies and naming after their country’s names we’re here debating what & whats not.
By 2O5O, Africans’ population will be doubled the figures now, I have no doubt more prayer houses & many more Raft boats crossing the Mediterranean will be doubled as well.

Look at the figures and the amount of money spent. Does America spend more money on weave them education, does America spend more money on weave them Healthcare.

Let me give you the countries which I have been all the countries in southern Africa except for Madagascar and Mauritius. Kenya Ethiopia Tanzania Rwanda Angola Democratic Republic of Congo Cameroon Benin Republic Togo Republic Ghana Cote d'Ivoire Liberia UK Sweden France America Brazil and Argentina. Sometimes the truth is bitter

1 Like

Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 10:38pm On Aug 22, 2020
gallivant:
The Capital

This is what I call world-class development on a global scale

4 Likes

Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 10:39pm On Aug 22, 2020
gallivant:

Just look how clean the air looks like

4 Likes

Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by PortHardcore: 5:06am On Aug 23, 2020
Kiira Motors Of Uganda.
They make their own busses and cars!

keep in mind that Uganda also has a dictator in charge of their country wink

Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by Saddamochieng00(m): 11:00am On Aug 23, 2020
This Woodward guy is really getting on my nerves. We should just do that guy dirty we can't be going through the same BS every transfer window. We the fans are in severe pains grin

Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by rvp2018: 12:04pm On Aug 23, 2020
Today African Traveller got to my hometown - the incredibly beautiful Kericho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6MLFAGIr04

2 Likes

Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by kikuyu1(m): 4:51pm On Aug 23, 2020
Gambling is bad, kids! Bayern came through majorly last bets and I've an accumulator I'm 70% sure is coming through tonight.
I also got good early odds on Trump and Tyson. GAMBLING IS BAD, KIDS!

1 Like

Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 5:00pm On Aug 23, 2020
You can see the one Nigeria is totally finished including my Yoruba people this is why I support Igbo 1000%.Yoruba people are totally finished

1 Like

Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 5:08pm On Aug 23, 2020
Iron Galaxy and your South African friend why have you been so quiet. Let's see some pictures of ZA or SA here.
Since Nigerians have gone totally dormant

1 Like

Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by Saddamochieng00(m): 6:50pm On Aug 23, 2020
Can't wait....Estadio da luz gon be lit tonight. Am placing my money on PSG. grin

Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by Parrot69: 7:08pm On Aug 23, 2020
Saddamochieng00:

Useless criminal you must be high on some shasamane weed grin grin cheesy Shameless gay goat talking out of its anus grin grin cheesy You are calling Kenya a village yet you come from the biggest zoo in the world grin grin grin grin A zoo where people fundraise for their kids to do prostitution overseas grin grin grin A zoo where common electricity you can't produce grin grin grin

Don't fvck around with I don't fvck with no niggas grin angry angry

You know what you are?? You are a FULL BLOWN IDIOT.
Baboon. Dirty Masai Swine, Bastard from Birth. I Pity your mum, she thought she gave birth to a real human not realizing you’re a born slowpoke. Improper Fractured Element with zero thinking faculty . Baboons living in a Jungle called Country. I’ve been to your jungle, nothing special about it... just animals in human clothing roaming around naked with big piercings on the lips & faces, that’s reminds me of the Homo-sapiens originating from East Africa.
FYI; Those houses you’re showing off were USAID funded in collaboration with PPE. Your Government had 30% of the stakes.
Don’t come here with your cheap lies. Inferiority complexed senile.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by Parrot69: 7:14pm On Aug 23, 2020
SUFFERInSMILIIN:

Look at the figures and the amount of money spent. Does America spend more money on weave them education, does America spend more money on weave them Healthcare.

Let me give you the countries which I have been all the countries in southern Africa except for Madagascar and Mauritius. Kenya Ethiopia Tanzania Rwanda Angola Democratic Republic of Congo Cameroon Benin Republic Togo Republic Ghana Cote d'Ivoire Liberia UK Sweden France America Brazil and Argentina. Sometimes the truth is bitter

What kind of work took you to those places if I my ask? I don’t mind asking cos I already know it gonna be certified lies upon lies.

Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by kikuyu1(m): 9:59pm On Aug 23, 2020
Yyyeahh!? Was expecting 2-0, 2-1 but I CAN'T COMPLAIN!? 1-0 still gives very good money.
Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by Saddamochieng00(m): 10:17pm On Aug 23, 2020
We really wasted our chances in the first half.
Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by kikuyu1(m): 11:14pm On Aug 23, 2020
Saddamochieng00:
We really wasted our chances in the first half.

Since 2010 which team has appeared in the semis more? It aint even close! REALLY it was a BIIIGGG ask of PSG to beat Bayern who've been to the semis 4x IIRC since they won in 2013.
Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by Saddamochieng00(m): 7:01am On Aug 24, 2020
kikuyu1:

Since 2010 which team has appeared in the semis more? It aint even close! REALLY it was a BIIIGGG ask of PSG to beat Bayern who've been to the semis 4x IIRC since they won in 2013.

It was PSGs first time playing in the UEFA final so I expected them to bring in their best game...guess am gonna wait couple more years before they finally bring in that trophy.

I really don't know what the future holds for Neymar cause I don't see him staying in the club any longer.

That being said congrats to Bayern for securing the treble.

1 Like

Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by christejames(m): 8:43am On Aug 24, 2020
SUFFERinSMILIIN, why don't you change the title of the thread to something more uniting for the countries involved or the continent in general to have a wider audience?

Please think about this, I know you are a great guy.
Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by Saddamochieng00(m): 12:01pm On Aug 24, 2020
The generator economy is going down

1 Like

Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by Kazikazi: 4:02pm On Aug 24, 2020
Hahahahahaha grin grin
Go TZ go

2 Likes

Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by Kazikazi: 4:03pm On Aug 24, 2020
Dar es salaam Tanzania

1 Like

Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by Kazikazi: 4:05pm On Aug 24, 2020
Simba day,Dar es salaam
Tanzania

1 Like

Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by Kazikazi: 4:11pm On Aug 24, 2020
Tanzania

1 Like

Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 12:12pm On Aug 25, 2020
christejames:
SUFFERinSMILIIN, why don't you change the title of the thread to something more uniting for the countries involved or the continent in general to have a wider audience?

Please think about this, I know you are a great guy.

This is to unite the whole of Africa but it looks like the Nigeria do not have any backbone to find bunch of cowards
Re: South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria by kikuyu1(m): 3:56pm On Aug 25, 2020
Saddamochieng00:

It was PSGs first time playing in the UEFA final so I expected them to bring in their best game...guess am gonna wait couple more years before they finally bring in that trophy.

I really don't know what the future holds for Neymar cause I don't see him staying in the club any longer.

That being said congrats to Bayern for securing the treble.

I ALWAYS found that NIGGA overrated but people call me hater! Mbappe also has no more CONTROL over the ball than the weather!

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply)

Trailer Crashes Into Central Bank's Building (PHOTO) / Stella Oduah Has No Female Housemaid - SEAIL / Police Close Roads In Katsina For Buhari’s Thursday Visit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.