Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,814 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:26 AM

Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions (40834 Views)

FG Increases Salaries Of Tertiary Institutions’ Staff By 35% And 23% / "Snake Swallowed Our School Fees": Benue State University Students Protest (Pics / Cohabiting: The Silent Killer Of Students In Tertiary Institutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 6:05pm On Aug 18, 2020
LaEvilIMiss:
i don't understand where the misunderstanding is coming from... NCDC have admitted that containing covid19 is beyond her capabilities and Nigerians have expressed and demanded the right to be maskless and go about their business as usual -after-all malaria and pneumonia are exactly like covid19 sooooo; allow the masses face the so-called dreaded covid19 and save all that international aid money for your pockets.. worst case the roads will be filled with rotting dead covid19 zombies and best case scenario; de-population of the poor will help our economy.. WIN-WIN
Damn you are evil cheesy
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by RudyNerdy: 6:13pm On Aug 18, 2020
Okudiover:

This ASUU you chide so much is by far the most resilient workers union this country has ever seen. Right from the days of OBJ in the 70s, Shagari, Buhari, IBB, Shonekan, Abacha (most especially), OBJ again, Yar Adua, GEJ and now Buhari again.

Let me tell you if not for ASUU over the years the little reforms seen in the educational sector at the tertiary levels would not have been possible. Is it ETF, Tertfund or enhanced salary scale would not have been possible. Now it is evident that ASUU was right all along to have rejected the IPPIS scheme because the problems now associated with it's implementation which was raised initially is evident for all to see. From over taxation beyond what was attainable to unexplained cut and unremittance of pensions. If you like lock the national executive up without trial that strike will go on as long as we the ASUU deem it necessary.

As a student that I was in 1996, General Abacha directed the then minister of education Saleh (I think) whom himself was a lecturer at BUK, Kano as well as the state military administrators not only to withhold salaries an other emoluments of lecturers but to sack all who did not resume duty and drive them out of the universities' staff quarters across the country. The then minister of education went ahead to announce that on the sack of the striking workers that they would employ lecturers from Niger republic among other African countries.

Two days later the ASUU national chairman Prof Asobie, published an editorial showing what lecturers earned in 7 African countries including Niger, Botswana, Egypt, South Africa, Ghana, Cameroon and Uganda. The least was 7 times his Nigerian counterpart in dollar terms. That publication so angered the FG they ordered for the arrest of the newspapers officials and ASUU executives.

The strikes between 1992 and 1996 were particularly terrible in it's immediate consequences then. The striking sequence were as follows:

July-Sept 1992. (2months)
April-Nov 1993 (7months)
July 1994 - Feb 1995. (9 months)

In all I lost I year, others at LASU lost 2 years. The government over the years have paid little attention to the plight of education as a whole in Nigeria. It hasn't fared any better even now. Estimating 8% of your country's budget to education is still below the benchmark of 26% as recommended by UNESCO.

You should hold your elected accountable to your current state and not ASUU.
GOSH this is much!
Thank you all the same
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by GIFTD: 6:17pm On Aug 18, 2020
RudyNerdy:
you're very stupid for this comment
slowpoke
See them... being not been. He that lives in a glass house does not throw stones. You are mayopic.
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by GIFTD: 6:19pm On Aug 18, 2020
Climax07:
I think Nigerians should stop been myopic in their thinking, we know these institutions are far behind on their curriculum but we should look at the bigger picture. How many tertiary institutions can fully comply with NCDC guidelines? hostels in those institutions with population how can they maintain social distancing? hence it is important institutions remain closed until COVID-19 is dealt with
Being not been..school haters.
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by chinchonglee(m): 6:26pm On Aug 18, 2020
overstock:
I second the motion, we need tertiary institutions back to reopen !!
Do we av tertiary institutions in Nigeria
A whole UNN nor get computer lab.

Biko all of dem should better learn work or a trade
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Isabella226: 7:09pm On Aug 18, 2020
They should open institutions all this ones they are delaying our resumption they don't care for us as citizens so why forming like you guys care for our well being in the university.... if you do then they will be lots of jobs for graduates but instead when one gets a job in this country you will be used like a slave and be paid peanut. Please let's reopen except you people are only protecting your children that are also in the university.
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by riczy(m): 7:27pm On Aug 18, 2020
Access03:
After re-opening of Schools, then ASUU resumes the 2nd leg of their strike.
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Goodie22: 7:29pm On Aug 18, 2020
Climax07:
I think Nigerians should stop been myopic in their thinking, we know these institutions are far behind on their curriculum but we should look at the bigger picture. How many tertiary institutions can fully comply with NCDC guidelines? hostels in those institutions with population how can they maintain social distancing? hence it is important institutions remain closed until COVID-19 is dealt with
I bet you are done with school , if not you wouldn't be saying things like this
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by maxlo: 7:30pm On Aug 18, 2020
#Open our Campuses Now#
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 7:39pm On Aug 18, 2020
Nuttella:
Damn you are evil cheesy

hahahahahahahahahaha grin
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 7:41pm On Aug 18, 2020
Goodie22:

I bet you are done with school , if not you wouldn't be saying things like this

it is a choice - go to school and ensure you stay safe even when the school offers no such assurances to keeping you safe or wait at home and stay alive to go to school another day.. are you aware that many graduates just lost their jobs due to covid19? please use this time to train for certifications that will be useful after covid19
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Dicky76: 8:27pm On Aug 18, 2020
paulolee:

leave thd jokers, F.G must call a truce with ASUU before tertiary institution can reopen, they are jus using the covid to hold other private university too on stand by..
we have been away from school for too long and if that school lockdown is lifeted and ASUU strike is still on, it would lead to more protest from those affected by the strike, so its better to hold everyone down and blame it on covid..
Do you think all government universities are under ASUU
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Omoolami100: 8:27pm On Aug 18, 2020
Update

Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Sardauna24(m): 8:30pm On Aug 18, 2020
Taywon:
Welcome to the Islamic state of Nigeria....
Religious bigot spotted
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Dicky76: 8:33pm On Aug 18, 2020
donatus101:

Very disturbing analysis you need mental help
She's quite dumb
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Dicky76: 8:35pm On Aug 18, 2020
wisest10:
All this aluta self..is it because you guys cannot loot again??...Covid19 suppose don teach una say school na scam for 9ja...please let us that are learning work learn finish b4 una resume abeg...afterall if school resume and we finish na house we go still stay..welcome to Nigeria
If school is a scam to you drop out.
Not everyone reads a course the economy doesn't need.
And not everyone will remain here in Nigeria when done studying.

1 Like

Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Dicky76: 8:37pm On Aug 18, 2020
So many stupid and irritating comments here.
And you'll wonder these are the ppl they say are the future of tomorrow.
You read some comments and you'll know Nigeria is truly finished.
See students..

1 Like

Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Chymarok: 9:26pm On Aug 18, 2020
Wrong spellings everywhere undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by paulolee(m): 9:31pm On Aug 18, 2020
Dicky76:

Do you think all government universities are under ASUU
nope,i know many aint under ASUU bt the covid excuse is the only way holding all of them on lockdown because if they reopen school without settling with ASUU and those that are not part of ASUU do resume, it may be unfair to the others other ASUU which would lead to more protest because students don tire for house..
their best bet is to keep all on lockdown till they settle with ASUU and reopen for all students.....dts ma opinion
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 9:41pm On Aug 18, 2020
chingle5:
please o Federal should not open any school .... let me continue to reason my life and future in peace coz diz covid-19 is really an eye opener
like seriously.
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Taywon: 9:44pm On Aug 18, 2020
Sardauna24:
Religious bigot spotted
As ur head no wan dey well.... Get a life
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by frozen70(f): 10:51pm On Aug 18, 2020
They have a point
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by saintade01(m): 11:15pm On Aug 18, 2020
Are they through with BBNAIJA undecided
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Overlordrichy(m): 12:52am On Aug 19, 2020
Tomiwa69:

I no want how e Take concern u
How u wan Make I dey knack amaka and tope if school don resume and I don dey ibadan

Hmmm, so na because of punana
Na punana you dey fight for
I pity your future
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by mia6666: 1:25am On Aug 19, 2020
smartval:
They should open school so that ASUU will continue their strike.
Abeg they should extend the school closure till next year am still learning work, i want to be a real niggar when the school reopens just like....

SLAWORMIR
abeg come teach me work
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Sardauna24(m): 6:32am On Aug 19, 2020
Taywon:

As ur head no wan dey well.... Get a life
You pple are the obstacle that blocks the success of Nigeria with your trash..we go soon track and charge you for Hate Speech,you must be fine i bet you..
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by chingle5(m): 7:18am On Aug 19, 2020
wealth25:

like seriously.

I swear, if we resume those lecturers will top their A-game they will just keep u busy like WTF .... Thinking of a perfect scheme to get my first plot of land...
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Taywon: 7:31am On Aug 19, 2020
Sardauna24:
You pple are the obstacle that blocks the success of Nigeria with your trash..we go soon track and charge you for Hate Speech,you must be fine i bet you..

Lai Muhammad pikin keep tracking.... Are u blind to see that there is nothing left in this country, so wat success are u talking about... Keep deceiving urself.
Finally pray for wisdom and give ur life to jesus.
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 8:05am On Aug 19, 2020
chingle5:

I swear, if we resume those lecturers will top their A-game they will just keep u busy like WTF .... Thinking of a perfect scheme to get my first plot of land...
same here,,,this covid19 made me hustle like never before.
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Sardauna24(m): 8:30am On Aug 19, 2020
Taywon:

Lai Muhammad pikin keep tracking.... Are u blind to see that there is nothing left in this country, so wat success are u talking about... Keep deceiving urself.
Finally pray for wisdom and give ur life to jesus.
Useless being,as you fool claim that there is nothing left for this country,but why are u living in the so called country that has nothing?just leave d country where you will be free of your blindness,i guess you fool is from Kenya or zimbabwe,lifeless being nd mind u you're the most Hypocrite i have ever seen on NL
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by wisest10: 3:37pm On Aug 19, 2020
Dicky76:

If school is a scam to you drop out.
Not everyone reads a course the economy doesn't need.
And not everyone will remain here in Nigeria when done studying.
I laugh in Chinese.. even if you read a course that the economy need , you will still observe sit at home and 90% do not have the money to go outside nigeria
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Taywon: 4:17pm On Aug 19, 2020
Sardauna24:
Useless being,as you fool claim that there is nothing left for this country,but why are u living in the so called country that has nothing?just leave d country where you will be free of your blindness,i guess you fool is from Kenya or zimbabwe,lifeless being nd mind u you're the most Hypocrite i have ever seen on NL

Get a life... Get a life

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Damilola Olakanmi, Nigerian Law Student Dies In UK After Eating Cannabis Sweet / 16 Photos That Will Take You Back To Your Secondary School Inter-house Sports / Kids Transported To School In Lokoja In An Open-Vehicle (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.