Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,779 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:06 PM

Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat (6221 Views)

Senator Akpan Bows To Greet Saraki (Photo) / Anambra Labour Demands 43 Months Salary Arrears; Give 2 Weeks Ultimatum / Muma Gee Abandons PDP, Decamps To Labour Party, Wins Primaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by debosky(m): 7:30pm On Jun 19, 2007
Is it about 'courage' or something else? Is the increase necessary or not? those are the important questions in the long run. we may complain about official prices now, but if there is scarcity and it goes for 100 naira, what good does official price do? I'm not supporting the increase here, just asking some more fundamental questions

the truth is, without full disclosure of the operations of the oil industry, particularly the issue of subsidies, importation and so on, we cannot truly arrive at a clear picture of what petrol prices should be. how much does the importation cost? what price will be profitable for new refineries to come up? these are the true issues that need to be settled, unfortunately I see no real attempts to do this.
Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by DoubleN(m): 8:09pm On Jun 19, 2007
Savesoul i feel you too,This is just pure propaganda.
Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by savesoul(m): 8:39pm On Jun 19, 2007
Nigeria Would Start to grow the Day we Intellectuals Begin to think like Men Not Kids
Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by denex: 8:41pm On Jun 19, 2007
I think since people refuse to understand the reason for the increase in fuel prices, well, I guess the Private refineries should be allowed to operate. But they should not be subsidized since they are private companies.

Maybe when these Nigerian Private Refineries start shipping their product to the international market for the international market price, maybe then Nigerians eye go open.
Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by debosky(m): 8:48pm On Jun 19, 2007
Refinery building in general is a dicey business, even running them is no joke, thats why all the shells and totals have refused to take over nigerian refineries. the private refinery people were by and large traders who wanted to lift oil and sell, and make huge profits instead of refining, when govt refused to give them lifting rights, they all packed up cos they never had true intentions to build refineries. the only one out of them which is serious is just doing ground breaking in Akwa Ibom, and is very miniscule in scale. our problems are numerous in this area, insecurity and lack of stability in the ND is scaring serious refinery developers away, either we get serious and build them ourselves ( private Nigerian owned) or we'll still be in this position for a while to be.
Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by Iman3(m): 9:04pm On Jun 19, 2007
As long as  the Govt still has the responsibility of fixing fuel price,there will always be scarcity.In every other sector of the economy,prices are determined purely by demand and suppply.What we have at the moment is an inefficient system.There is absolutely no incentive for private investors to come in when its up to the FG to determine fuel price.I wonder when we will learn our lesson
Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by akara(m): 10:00pm On Jun 19, 2007
what is the pump price of diesel, somebody pls tell.
Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by femionasan(m): 10:05pm On Jun 19, 2007
NLC, TUC still to go on strike.
Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by naira4doll(m): 10:20pm On Jun 19, 2007
This is interesting, I wish there would be no strike,
Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by enolase(m): 10:21pm On Jun 19, 2007
I have never liked Levi Ajuonuma from his days as the presenter of the Saturday evening programme on NTA by 8pm during the Abacha days (what was the name again; someone please remind me), where his views on that show betrayed his status as a military apologist.  angry

Now he is back doing what he knows to do best; making incendiary statements as if the power of life and death reside with him.

I never liked him then; I certainly do not like him now. He has no human feelings whatsoever.

As for the strike, it has just been announced that it is to go on. I really pity Yar'Adua. Shey im wan become presido, Make im see how far.
Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by ajadrage: 10:58pm On Jun 19, 2007
Hmmm
Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by mygee33(m): 11:03pm On Jun 19, 2007
IF THERE WERE NO INCREASE, THERE WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN A NEED FOR ALL THESE STRIKE STUF. I WAS SEEING THE OWU CHIEF AS A TRUE LEADER, BUT HIS ACTIONS BEFORE LEAVING OFFICE PROVED DIFFERENTLY.
I SEE A SITUATION WHERE NIGERIANS HAVE BEEN MADE TO FORGET SO MANY ISSUES WHICH THE NEW GOVERNMENT SHOULD HAVE BEEN TACKLING BY NOW IN TERMS O OF POVERTY, POWER, ASUU, MINISTERIAL AND OTHER SUCH APPOINTMENTS,  , NIGER DELTA AND SO MANY OTHER PRESSING PROBLEMS IN THE COUNTRY.
WHY NOT REVERT TO N65 PER LITER FOR PETROL. I BELEIVE NLC SHOULD CONTINUE WITH THE STRIKE CAUSE WE STILL DO NOT HAVE ANY GUARANTY THAT THE INCREASE WILL NOT COME AGAIN JUST AS WE WITHNESSED DURING THE OBASANJO DAYS.
WE HAVE HAD ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by miky(m): 11:08pm On Jun 19, 2007
so how those this help the economy, global price of oil is up. we cant keep relying on this subsidies forever, am not impressed.
Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by 9ja4eva: 11:15pm On Jun 19, 2007
mygee33:

IF THERE WERE NO INCREASE, THERE WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN A NEED FOR ALL THESE STRIKE STUF. I WAS SEEING THE OWU CHIEF AS A TRUE LEADER, BUT HIS ACTIONS BEFORE LEAVING OFFICE PROVED DIFFERENTLY.
I SEE A SITUATION WHERE NIGERIANS HAVE BEEN MADE TO FORGET SO MANY ISSUES WHICH THE NEW GOVERNMENT SHOULD HAVE BEEN TACKLING BY NOW IN TERMS O OF POVERTY, POWER, ASUU, MINISTERIAL AND OTHER SUCH APPOINTMENTS, , NIGER DELTA AND SO MANY OTHER PRESSING PROBLEMS IN THE COUNTRY.
WHY NOT REVERT TO N65 PER LITER FOR PETROL. I BELEIVE NLC SHOULD CONTINUE WITH THE STRIKE CAUSE WE STILL DO NOT HAVE ANY GUARANTY THAT THE INCREASE WILL NOT COME AGAIN JUST AS WE WITHNESSED DURING THE OBASANJO DAYS.
WE HAVE HAD ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D thing weak me oh.Which kain thing be dis?Why not N65 really?
Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by agbola(m): 11:39pm On Jun 19, 2007
wat is new about yar adua's position the increase in salaries had been negotiated and promised to commence in january 2008 during the last administration, and N70 is only cold comfort, we all know that what the FG wants is for fuel to reach N100 per litre, (OBJ said that why can't we buy fuel at such a rate when we pay N130 for a bottle of beer, like any1 can drink 50 litres of beer talk less of 50 bottles).
As for the VAT all well done at least they had sense to see that it was doin more harm than the goods they claimed will come out of it (they said the same for deregulation and people still pay N120 per litre in maiduguri)
I still believe the oil issue is so that OBJ's friends can start up their refineries on a high and quickly make their money,
they have never been true to us and will never be, they will continue to dribble us until they get what they want (like they always do)

for the strike,i think i need the rest, whereas there is no fuel in my car.
Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by babadee(m): 12:40am On Jun 20, 2007
Governent magic!
Musa is just using OBJ's strategy, increease, then reduce and everybody goes home happy including labour who will feel they have achieved something!
pure horseshit!
screw Musa
Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by ThoniaSlim(f): 12:44am On Jun 20, 2007
please who stays in Nigeria, and listened to the NTA news last night, are they still going on with the strike?
Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by Yimsfred(m): 1:13am On Jun 20, 2007
The last I heard about that was that NLC will go on with the strike if FG does not reduce the price to =N= 65 by 12am on Wednesday morning
Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by ThoniaSlim(f): 1:15am On Jun 20, 2007
so does this mean, workers would go to work tomorrow by 12am, if nothing is done and the strike holds they all go home. or they would just remain at home for that day?
Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by denex: 1:20am On Jun 20, 2007
Prices dey rise
prices dey fall
naija no just want any one
we just dey centre like Berlin wall.
Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by 9ja4eva: 1:32am On Jun 20, 2007
NLC needs to commence on the strike.N70 is nt acceptable by the masses.I hope they dont stop at this?
Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by kitaun(m): 1:49am On Jun 20, 2007
I think I agree with savesoul on this cool

they actually used this as a ploy to wriggle themselves out of the legitimacy crisis they found themselves cool

or what explains the rationale behind increasing pump price few days before handover? shocked

was it done in concert with the outgoing/outgone FEC/ the Senate or with the incoming Presido? undecided

anyways, strike starts in earnest today as the demand remains back to 65 naira basic cool
Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by denex: 2:05am On Jun 20, 2007
Abeg jare, since government has made some concessions and labour doesn't want to flinch, I think it is only right that the government reverts back to the N75 and 10% vat.

That's how negotiation is done. This is not haggling. So all these bloody labourers because dem don load their fridge with food, dem no wan consider. Okay O!
Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by Iman3(m): 2:06am On Jun 20, 2007
The Govt should stopp setting the price of fuel!Simple!Let the market determine the price of fuel.
Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by initiator(m): 2:39am On Jun 20, 2007
Come this denex guy why is it that when everybody is talking right, u'll be talking left? U funny.
The problem's the fixing of prices by PPRA. Imagine NCC fixing the cost of GSM lines and tarrif? Doesnt make any sense. Govt can sanitise the energy industry by sweeping through cartel interests and license private refineries though yesterday govt issued licencing guidelines for refineries to spring up in 18 months.
As at yesterday night, the strike would hold.
Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by otokx(m): 2:48am On Jun 20, 2007
There is a process for increasing Petrol price & VAT which was introduced by OBJ and also bypassed by the same OBJ. NLC must insist that such due process be followed. This new man has just increased politicians take home pay by over 150%. The fallacy that we should give him time to settle down must be taking with a pinch of salt. As for that man called Levi, he should be very careful because what goes round surely comes round.
Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by kitaun(m): 2:59am On Jun 20, 2007
people like denex would never allow this country develop cry cry
Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by otokx(m): 3:07am On Jun 20, 2007
This denex guy is an abomination of the assyrians; totally wicked.
Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by GNature(m): 5:16am On Jun 20, 2007
I-man:

The Govt should stopp setting the price of fuel!Simple!Let the market determine the price of fuel.

I understand your point I-man. I don't mind the govt subsidising fuel, the thing is, there should be a cap to it.

If the fed govt budgets $1.5 billion a year for subsidizing fuel, then we must stick to that figure. We can't expect
the govt to carry all the burden regardless of price fluctuations and other market forces.
Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by ryu11(m): 7:57am On Jun 20, 2007
@ Denex

thanx for the info, very enlightening i must say. we need more like you on NL. you deal with hard facts. and more like me, that accept the hard facts, churn them and work to wards improvement.

it is the product of your father's sperm that is abomination.

don't bother to grovel in the dirt man, I expect more from someone of your caliber.
Re: Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat by Demaks(f): 8:30am On Jun 20, 2007
@ denex,
i feel u kiss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

MUMU Is When U Believe A Man Trekked From Lagos To Abuja In 19days. / Federal Govt Releases 2015 Cut-off Marks For Federal Govt Colleges. / Nasarawa Took N28bn Bank Loans In Five Years –NLC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.