Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,107 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:00 AM

Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? (955 Views)

Must Every Christian Pray In Tongues: Pastor Chris / Why Do Christian's Pray Aggressively, Loudly And With Repetition / Muslims Block Road In Victoria Island To Pray, Causing Traffic Jam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by Eagban(m): 10:19am On Aug 19, 2020
I just want to know this. Should a Christian pray imprecatory prayers i.e prayers for evil to befall your enemies. Is it not sinful to pray such prayers?
Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by shadeyinka(m): 11:39am On Aug 19, 2020
@Eagban
Lk 6:27-28
27But to those of you who will listen, I say: Love your enemies , do good to those who hate you,
28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.

2 Likes

Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by Eagban(m): 12:10pm On Aug 19, 2020
shadeyinka:
@Eagban
Lk 6:27-28
27But to those of you who will listen, I say: Love your enemies , do good to those who hate you,
28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.
Somebody quoted Luke 18:1-8, as a justification for praying against our enemies.
Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by shadeyinka(m): 12:58pm On Aug 19, 2020
Eagban:

Somebody quoted Luke 18:1-8, as a justification for praying against our enemies.
1. The persistent widow was asking the king to get justice for her due to her her enemies.
She wasn't asking the king to kill, maim, demote her enemies. She simply asked the king to get her JUSTICE!
2. Is seeking Justice the same thing as seeking a revenge?

There is no scripture that says a Christian cannot REPORT those who hurt them to God.

We have only one enemy as Christians:
Eph6:12-13
12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Anyone who fights against a human being as the enemy does not know the scriptures

2 Likes

Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by Eagban(m): 1:04pm On Aug 19, 2020
shadeyinka:

1. The persistent widow was asking the king to get justice for her due to her her enemies.
She wasn't asking the king to kill, maim, demote her enemies. She simply asked the king to get her JUSTICE!

There is no scripture that says a Christian cannot REPORT those who hurt them to God.

12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Anyone who fights against a human being as the enemy does not know the scriptures
You are quite correct.
shadeyinka:

You are quite correct.
shadeyinka:

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question... A Christian is not supposed to pray against enemies but to pray for them.

1 Like

Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by Kobojunkie: 2:48pm On Aug 19, 2020
Eagban:
I just want to know this. Should a Christian pray imprecatory prayers i.e prayers for evil to befall your enemies. Is it not sinful to pray such prayers?
Jesus Christ commands that you do not ever engage in such

Matthew 5 vs 43-48 (ERV)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
43. “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[k] and hate your enemy.’
44. But I tell you, love your enemies. Pray for those who treat you badly.
45. If you do this, you will be children who are truly like your Father in heaven. He lets the sun rise for all people, whether they are good or bad. He sends rain to those who do right and to those who do wrong.
46. If you love only those who love you, why should you get a reward for that? Even the tax collectors do that.
47. And if you are nice only to your friends, you are no better than anyone else. Even the people who don’t know God are nice to their friends.
48. What I am saying is that you must be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.
He in fact commands you to turn the other cheek when being caused harm by those who hate you, and you go the extra mile for them.

Matthew 5 vs 38 - 42 (ERV)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
38. “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.’[i]
39. But I tell you, don’t fight back against someone who wants to do harm to you. If they hit you on the right cheek, let them hit the other cheek too.
40. If anyone wants to sue you in court and take your shirt, let them have your coat too.
41. If a soldier forces you to walk with him one mile,[j] go with him two.
42. Give to anyone who asks you for something. Don’t refuse to give to anyone who wants to borrow from you.

1 Like

Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by CodeTemplar: 2:54pm On Aug 19, 2020
Eagban:
Seeing it is a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation on those that trouble the saints.
Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by CodeTemplar: 2:59pm On Aug 19, 2020
Kobojunkie:

Jesus Christ commands that you do not ever engage in such

He in fact commands you to turn the other cheek when being caused harm by those who hate you, and you go the extra mile for them.
As usual you sampled a piece of the truth then twist it further out context.
Romans 12:19-20. Give place unto wrath (the wrath of God) for it is written vengeance is mine.
Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by Kobojunkie: 3:04pm On Aug 19, 2020
CodeTemplar:
As usual you sampled a piece of the truth then twist it further out context.
Romans 12:19-20. Give place unto wrath (the wrath of God) for it is written vengeance is mine.
Do you really ever process what you say at all?

You claim to believe that Jesus Christ is THE WAY, the TRUTH and the LIFE. I posted exactly what Jesus Christ, the THE WAY AND TRUTH OF GOD, said on the issue, and here you are saying that His words are Half-truths and TWISTED.

Are you sure you are alright? undecided

1 Like

Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by Eagban(m): 3:25pm On Aug 19, 2020
CodeTemplar:
Seeing it is a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation on those that trouble the saints.

Surely God will punish an unrepentant evil doer...
Should such prayers be a part of a Christian prayer? Prayers like " die by fire", "fall down and die" are they suitable for christians..
Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by CodeTemplar: 3:28pm On Aug 19, 2020
Eagban:

Should it be part of a Christian prayer? Prayers like " die by fire","fall down and die" are suitable for christians..
Read romans 12 and 13. When you do pay a lot of attention to 12:19-20 and 13:1-5
Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by CodeTemplar: 3:30pm On Aug 19, 2020
Kobojunkie:
Do you really ever process what you say at all?

You claim to believe that Jesus Christ is THE WAY, the TRUTH and the LIFE. I posted exactly what Jesus Christ, the THE WAY AND TRUTH OF GOD, said on the issue, and here you are saying that His words are Half-truths and TWISTED.

Are you sure you are alright? undecided
Or so in your eyes you are now Christ. I pity your life. You are not Christ and can never be.
Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Aug 19, 2020
shadeyinka:

Excellent! smiley

1 Like

Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by shadeyinka(m): 8:03pm On Aug 19, 2020
Maximus69:

Excellent! smiley
Thanks
Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by CodeTemplar: 10:49pm On Aug 19, 2020
Eagban:

Should such prayers be a part of a Christian prayer? Prayers like " die by fire", "fall down and die" are they suitable for christians..
God is a consuming fire.
Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by OtemAtum: 11:54pm On Aug 19, 2020
It's obvious the OP hasn't read the book of Homosapiens. Read it and you'll see how useless prayers are.

Homo Sapiens III 15:12 sacrifices are useless and prayers are for the weak. But he who wants to be great will use his head to think deep, be his own god and do good to his fellow
Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by Eagban(m): 12:12am On Aug 20, 2020
CodeTemplar:
God is a consuming fire.

Consuming those whom he wants to repent from their sins? Haven't you read in the Bible He is also a merciful God?
Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by Eagban(m): 12:15am On Aug 20, 2020
[b][/b]

Homo Sapiens III 15:12 sacrifices are useless and prayers are for the weak. But he who wants to be great will use his head to think deep, be his own god and do good to his fellow[/quote][/color]
OtemAtum:
It's obvious the OP hasn't read the book of Homosapiens. Read it and you'll see how useless prayers are.

Homo Sapiens III 15:12 sacrifices are useless and prayers are for the weak. But he who wants to be great will use his head to think deep, be his own god and do good to his fellow

Oga cool down.
Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by OtemAtum: 12:25am On Aug 20, 2020
Eagban:
[b][/b]

Homo Sapiens III 15:12 sacrifices are useless and prayers are for the weak. But he who wants to be great will use his head to think deep, be his own god and do good to his fellow[/color]It's obvious the OP hasn't read the book of Homosapiens. Read it and you'll see how useless prayers are.

Oga cool down.
OK, but that's the reality anyway. Praying is like chasing clout. It's a form of unproductive idleness.

1 Like

Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by Eagban(m): 12:29am On Aug 20, 2020
OtemAtum:
OK, but that's the reality anyway. Praying is like chasing clout. It's a form of unproductive idleness.
From where did you learn all these?
Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by OtemAtum: 2:34am On Aug 20, 2020
Eagban:
From where did you learn all these?
From the BOOK OF UNIVERSAL HISTORY https://www.nairaland.com/2938907/doctrine-ufos
Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by petra1(m): 4:12am On Aug 20, 2020
Eagban:

It shouldn’t be personal . It can be done to an enemy of God or someone troubling the church or the gospel But on personal ground if certain enemy are against you , such prayers may be made against their evil action . Not about destroying indivudials
Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by CodeTemplar: 5:49am On Aug 20, 2020
Eagban:

Consuming those whom he wants to repent from their sins? Haven't you read in the Bible He is also a merciful God?
..... no, those He expects to(repent), but who refuse and are now destroying people who have repented of their sins.
Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by Nobody: 7:50am On Aug 20, 2020
petra1:

It shouldn’t be personal . It can be done to an enemy of God or someone troubling the church or the gospel But on personal ground if certain enemy are against you , such prayers may be made against their evil action . Not about destroying indivudials
If U Av Been Spiritually Attacked B4 With Any Form Of Strange Illness, Accident Or Death U Won't Ask Dis Question.
Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by petra1(m): 10:16am On Aug 20, 2020
Truvel:
If U Av Been Spiritually Attacked B4 With Any Form Of Strange Illness, Accident Or Death U Won't Ask Dis Question.

I didnt ask any question
Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by Nobody: 12:58pm On Aug 20, 2020
shadeyinka:

Thanks

You're welcome anytime!

What i just want you to know is that there will never be any reasonable agreement amongst religionsists apart from amongst the real followers of Jesus, all these people contradicting Jesus' teachings are Trinitarians who would only agree with you on unfruitful THEORIES like TRINITY but come to PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS of healthful teachings that can bring BENEFITS they'll start arguing vehemently amongst themselves! smiley
Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Aug 20, 2020
Truvel:
Alright.
Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by shadeyinka(m): 3:33pm On Aug 20, 2020
Maximus69:

You're welcome anytime!

What i just want you to know is that there will never be any reasonable agreement amongst religionsists apart from amongst the real followers of Jesus, all these people contradicting Jesus' teachings are Trinitarians who would only agree with you on unfruitful THEORIES like TRINITY but come to PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS of healthful teachings that can bring BENEFITS they'll start arguing vehemently amongst themselves! smiley
The Pharisees thought exactly like that too. Having a form of godliness but denying the power in it. As far as they were concerned, if you weren't a Pharisee, you don't know God.

But what did Jesus say about this kind of thinking?
Mar 9:38-40:
"John said to him, Teacher, we saw one casting out unseen entities in your name; and we forbade him, because he didn't follow us. But Jesus said, Don't forbid him: for there is no man who shall do a mighty work in my name, and be able without delay to speak evil of me. For he who is not against us is for us."

1 Like

Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Aug 20, 2020
shadeyinka:

The Pharisees thought exactly like that too. Having a form of godliness but denying the power in it. As far as they were concerned, if you weren't a Pharisee, you don't know God.

But what did Jesus say about this kind of thinking?
Mar 9:38-40:
"John said to him, Teacher, we saw one casting out unseen entities in your name; and we forbade him, because he didn't follow us. But Jesus said, Don't forbid him: for there is no man who shall do a mighty work in my name, and be able without delay to speak evil of me. For he who is not against us is for us."

Hmmmmmmmm well i think you're mixing it all up there, all the Jewish religious leaders (including Jesus) had the same attitude towards the opposition when it comes to decision making over who is with or against there God! That's why Jesus himself could say "if you're not my follower, you are doomed" John 14:6

The man John was talking about believed in Jesus just like any other disciple but John felt that since this person is not with them (as in always going about with Jesus) he's not authorized to do the same preaching and teaching work assigned to them, talkless of using Jesus' name! smiley

We are now disputing over Jesus' command not something optional, well from my own point of view whoever argues against this is simply saying "i don't trust (believe) in such reasoning, i can't pray for someone who is cursing me" so such a person never believe in Jesus as God's only begotten Son! smiley

Because if you believe that Jesus is the only begotten Son of God, you must agree with what God's son tells you that is pleasing to his father!

Although i can understand that you believe in interfaith but Jehovah's Witnesses abhor such! smiley
Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by shadeyinka(m): 7:03pm On Aug 20, 2020
Maximus69:

Hmmmmmmmm well i think you're mixing it all up there, all the Jewish religious leaders (including Jesus) had the same attitude towards the opposition when it comes to decision making over who is with or against there God! That's why Jesus himself could say "if you're not my follower, you are doomed" John 14:6

The man John was talking about believed in Jesus just like any other disciple but John felt that since this person is not with them (as in always going about with Jesus) he's not authorized to do the same preaching and teaching work assigned to them, talkless of using Jesus' name! smiley

We are now disputing over Jesus' command not something optional, well from my own point of view whoever argues against this is simply saying "i don't trust (believe) in such reasoning, i can't pray for someone who is cursing me" so such a person never believe in Jesus as God's only begotten Son! smiley

Because if you believe that Jesus is the only begotten Son of God, you must agree with what God's son tells you that is pleasing to his father!

Although i can understand that you believe in interfaith but Jehovah's Witnesses abhor such! smiley
True Christians are known not by the organisation they belong to BUT by living in obedience to the word of God and how they love their neighbours.

Luk 8:21:
"But he answered and said to them, My mother and my brothers are these that hear the word of God, and do it."

John 8:47:
"He who is from God hears the words of God: for this cause you do not hear [them], because you are not from God."

For the second condition, Jesus said:
John 13:34-35:
"A new commandment I give to you, That you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this shall all men know that you are my disciples, if you have love one to another."

Love does not discriminate between people who belong to Christ.
Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Aug 20, 2020
shadeyinka:

True Christians are known not by the organisation they belong to BUT by living in obedience to the word of God and how they love their neighbours.

Luk 8:21:
"But he answered and said to them, My mother and my brothers are these that hear the word of God, and do it."

John 8:47:
"He who is from God hears the words of God: for this cause you do not hear [them], because you are not from God."

For the second condition, Jesus said:
John 13:34-35:
"A new commandment I give to you, That you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this shall all men know that you are my disciples, if you have love one to another."

Love does not discriminate between people who belong to Christ.

Of course we have love for everyone {Mark 12:31} but the bolded we have made a compulsion only among ourselves! Galatians 6:10

Those who don't obey the same rules as we do are not believers their hypocritical showoffs or merely calling Jesus "Lord" can't blur our senses. Matthew 7:23

If they're not ready to obey Jesus' clear command, to us they are not Christians! smiley
Re: Should A Christian Pray Imprecatory Prayer? by petra1(m): 8:45pm On Aug 20, 2020
Eagban:

Not against personal enemies but against the evil plans and works of the enemies

(1) (2) (Reply)

There Are No TRUE Christians On Nairaland / Ifeanyi Adeleke: Join Me, Let’s Protest Against God — Lady Tells Nigerians / Israel-Palestine Conflict: Where Do You Stand As A Christian?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.