Stats: 3,151,336 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:46 AM

₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine: Nigerians Are Too Docile - Femi Okurounmu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine: Nigerians Are Too Docile - Femi Okurounmu (17223 Views)

Okurounmu Says: Voting Tinubu As President Means Second Slavery For Yoruba / Lai Mohammed Denies Announcing ₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine / Buhari Has Turned Nigeria To The Headquarters Of Fulanis In Africa - Okurounmu (2) (3) (4)

₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine: Nigerians Are Too Docile - Femi Okurounmu by nairavsdollars(f): 7:17am On Aug 21, 2020
Senator Femi Okurounmu, former Chairman, Presidential Advisory Committee on the 2014 National Conference on Thursday the Muhammadu Buhari administration is fast moving towards dictatorship by raising the fine for hate speech from N500,000 to N5m.

Speaking in an interview with Daily Independent, the Afenifere chieftain who also described Nigerians as docile people said the action would have led to massive protests in other countries of the world.

According to Okurounmu, the action of the Federal government is a calculated attempt at barring critics of the government from expressing their views.

The current administration is a confused lot. They are moving towards absolute dictatorship”.

“Who determines what is hate speech? So, anything that is critical of their government, they term it as hate speech”.
“Even when something is true but it is pointing out their inadequacies, they call it hate speech”.

If we say they are allowing the killing of innocent Nigerians, they label it as hate speech and impose fines. These are tentative steps towards a complete dictatorial regime”.

“Unfortunately our society does not believe in protests. This is enough to get everybody out on the streets, protesting against them”.

“But because we so docile in Nigeria, everybody just complains and keep quiet. That is why they are getting away with murder”.

https://www.independent.ng/hate-speech-fine-buhari-government-getting-away-with-murder-okurounmu/

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine: Nigerians Are Too Docile - Femi Okurounmu by omenka(m): 7:21am On Aug 21, 2020
I sincerely hope and pray they make it life imprisonment.

Simple speech was what landed Rwanda in what they found themselves in years ago.

18 Likes 16 Shares

Re: ₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine: Nigerians Are Too Docile - Femi Okurounmu by Macphenson: 7:24am On Aug 21, 2020
Re: ₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine: Nigerians Are Too Docile - Femi Okurounmu by Finnese001: 7:25am On Aug 21, 2020
Lol grin
Re: ₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine: Nigerians Are Too Docile - Femi Okurounmu by EmptyGarden(m): 7:28am On Aug 21, 2020
As you be Mexican, you for help us start am na.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine: Nigerians Are Too Docile - Femi Okurounmu by ursullalinda(f): 7:30am On Aug 21, 2020
What pains me most is that it was the people who invented and introduced hate speech into our politics........ that now sees it as a taboo........never knew i will one day be tired of Nigeria.

114 Likes 6 Shares

Re: ₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine: Nigerians Are Too Docile - Femi Okurounmu by Slawormir: 7:30am On Aug 21, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright

Freedom of speech is good but we should not say shit that will cause problem

Re: ₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine: Nigerians Are Too Docile - Femi Okurounmu by jerrybakermillz(m): 7:30am On Aug 21, 2020
Nawa
Re: ₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine: Nigerians Are Too Docile - Femi Okurounmu by Sunnycliff(m): 7:30am On Aug 21, 2020
Dem go tire.
Buhari till 2050

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine: Nigerians Are Too Docile - Femi Okurounmu by jamaicabakare(m): 7:31am On Aug 21, 2020
Hmmmmmmmmmm...i wonder the type of democracy APC is practicing under diz Buhari Government.

We Shall Overcome cool

Re: ₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine: Nigerians Are Too Docile - Femi Okurounmu by careytommy37(m): 7:31am On Aug 21, 2020
una go get sense by fire by force

Next Level

sai bubu grin

Re: ₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine: Nigerians Are Too Docile - Femi Okurounmu by Nbotee(m): 7:31am On Aug 21, 2020
Nigerians dat have been frustrated into submission. They didnt protest wen govt lied to dem about minimum wage and most recently dey didnt protest wen fuel was hiked to between 148 and 150.. Mayb it is wen BBN or d internet is restricted dat some will begin to have sense

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine: Nigerians Are Too Docile - Femi Okurounmu by Djyucee1(m): 7:32am On Aug 21, 2020
Hmmm. I hope you don't mean this?
omenka:

Simple speech was what landed Rwanda in what they found themselves in years ago.

Re: ₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine: Nigerians Are Too Docile - Femi Okurounmu by Brute2162: 7:32am On Aug 21, 2020
Everybody just dey fear for this country.

36 Likes

Re: ₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine: Nigerians Are Too Docile - Femi Okurounmu by BOOKWORMLUX(m): 7:32am On Aug 21, 2020
What do they even mean by hate speech?

Re: ₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine: Nigerians Are Too Docile - Femi Okurounmu by olaric(m): 7:32am On Aug 21, 2020
When Sowore led some people out in protest the other day, how many of you elders came out to support him? Yet you sit there and call Nigerians docile.

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: ₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine: Nigerians Are Too Docile - Femi Okurounmu by paulolee(m): 7:32am On Aug 21, 2020
that's the truth, we aint ready and thats why they keep doing things and passing out laws because they know our strength lies and end online..
if they call for protest we would all chicken out simple because we aint ready to grab the bull by its horns..
protest dnt work here simply because we dnt take it serious..
Nigeria is jus looking more divided each day because tribalism, sentiments and quick cash keep eating deeply in the weak minds of the youths..

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine: Nigerians Are Too Docile - Femi Okurounmu by Ten06(m): 7:32am On Aug 21, 2020
I'm currently not in Nigeria, but the country I'm now is the most backward in every area in the whole wide world
Re: ₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine: Nigerians Are Too Docile - Femi Okurounmu by YorubaPrince: 7:32am On Aug 21, 2020
I agree. They're also very foolish, stupid and dumb which is why you see them adulating and celebrating Politicians. angry

95% of Nigerians have mental issues! angry

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine: Nigerians Are Too Docile - Femi Okurounmu by jojofola: 7:33am On Aug 21, 2020
Isn't it obvious that Buhari's government can throw anything at its citizens and Heaven will not fall?

Re: ₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine: Nigerians Are Too Docile - Femi Okurounmu by loadedvibes: 7:33am On Aug 21, 2020
We know.. we are only active on our key pads.

Re: ₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine: Nigerians Are Too Docile - Femi Okurounmu by paulolee(m): 7:33am On Aug 21, 2020
omenka:

jus imagine...i cant believe you are saying this, people like you are the main problem in this country, so out of all the top country in this world its Rwanda u are bringing as an example, so what happens to top world countries like u.s that its citizens easily blast thier president jus because his ways doesn't suit what they believe, trump is performing more than our president bt he is still criticized openly on air on daily basis bt if a media house talk abt the recent killings in the kaduna, it would be tagged as hate speech..
a friend do say "if pikin bad, means say him bad so no need to side am"..
but am not surprised after seeing dt ur moniker..

53 Likes

Re: ₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine: Nigerians Are Too Docile - Femi Okurounmu by mytime24(f): 7:33am On Aug 21, 2020
Autocracy government

Re: ₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine: Nigerians Are Too Docile - Femi Okurounmu by Typicool8(m): 7:33am On Aug 21, 2020
Nbotee:
Nigerians dat have been frustrated into submission. They didnt protest wen govt lied to dem about minimum wage and most recently dey didnt protest wen fuel was hiked to between 148 and 150.. Mayb it is wen BBN or d internet is restricted dat some will begin to have sense
Lolss
Re: ₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine: Nigerians Are Too Docile - Femi Okurounmu by sinistermind(m): 7:33am On Aug 21, 2020
When we are living like we are in a military regime. Anyone that protests will be harassed and arrested my security agencies.
Re: ₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine: Nigerians Are Too Docile - Femi Okurounmu by CliffordAde: 7:33am On Aug 21, 2020
omenka:

People like you are not supposed to be called human.
It goes a long way to show how ingnorant you are about Rwanda genocide.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: ₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine: Nigerians Are Too Docile - Femi Okurounmu by shamhuna: 7:34am On Aug 21, 2020
Thank God you're also inclusive
Re: ₦5 Million Hate Speech Fine: Nigerians Are Too Docile - Femi Okurounmu by promotervickky(m): 7:34am On Aug 21, 2020
It will stop

Minister Of Information, Governors Now Speaking For Terrorists – Aisha Yesufu / Woman Narrates How Peter Obi Intervened When She Was About To Miss Her Flight / Senate Confirms Stephen Ocheni And Suleiman Hassan As Ministers