Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,056 members, 7,953,187 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:01 PM

Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk (19526 Views)

Babayaro Makes Fresh Case For Iheanacho’s Inclusion In Super Eagles / Babayaro: Keshi Is Confused / Celestine Babayaro Is Bankrupt, Can You Lend A Hand? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by BabaIbada: 1:48am On Feb 18, 2011
FORMER Toon player, Celestine Babayaro is being chased by creditors after being declared bankrupt. The ex-Nigerian international, who was reported to earn £25,000-a-week at one stage, has been listed alongside a dinner lady and glass cutter in an announcement printed in the London Gazette.

The player, who won the gold with Nigeria at Atlanta '96 Olympic, has been living at an address on Laleham Road, in Shepperton, Middlesex, according to the order. Neighbours said they feared the former full-back, now 32, had fallen on hard times because the upkeep of his £475,000 property had slipped.

It is understood the player who started 66 times for the Magpies, had bought the house for family members to be near him when he signed for Chelsea, in 1997. The house is also next door to the home where his younger brother, Kennedy was understood to have lived until he died of tuberculosis in 2007.

A neighbour, who lives on the same street as Babayaro said: “You can tell money’s difficult because the home used to be maintained really nicely, but now it’s a bit of a mess. “You can see where the conservatory is starting to fall down and the garden is completely overgrown. They came and asked to borrow my lawnmower but I had to say no because the grass was too long and would have broken it.”

The bankruptcy order was first entered at a court in Croydon, London, last year, before being confirmed last month. It is understood Babayaro has recently been living abroad. The financial meltdown is the latest in a string of disappoint-ments for the U-17 World Cup winner in 1993.

After an injury-plagued spell at St James’s Park, Babayaro’s career stalled when he moved to the US in the hope of starring alongside David Beckham at LA Galaxy. But he was released by the club, and his hopes of a comeback with Portsmouth were dogged by a bout of malaria. Babayaro is understood to have racked up debt despite having the rest of his contract paid by Newcastle he was released in 2007.

He was signed for United for £1m by Graeme Souness, in 2005, and famously chose to play for the team just hours after his brother’s death.
source: http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/sports/17763-babayaro-declared-bankrupt-chased-by-creditors-in-uk
Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by Osama10(m): 2:47am On Feb 18, 2011
Too much gambling.
Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by obowunmi(m): 3:31am On Feb 18, 2011
Lack of financial education.

1 Like

Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by Nobody: 5:36am On Feb 18, 2011
Yeah, lack of financial education. What a disease. I have opening for bartender Mr. Babayaro
Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by obowunmi(m): 8:38am On Feb 18, 2011
Lol @ reality --- I'm sure he will take anything at this point.
Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by solidifi: 9:10am On Feb 18, 2011
Extravagant life style, lack of economic discipline, I ve arrived syndrome, bandwagon-effect, improvidence, name it. In spite of this, let Ngn govt as a whole & his billionaire soccer colleagues in particular, bring him out this mess. Ngn footballers b ur bro's keeper.
Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by infoprideofnaijacom(m): 2:11pm On Feb 18, 2011
he used to be a fan of women?
Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by Nobody: 2:46pm On Feb 18, 2011
obowunmi:

Lack of financial education.

well said!!!!
Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by rashy(m): 2:50pm On Feb 18, 2011
Baba Ibada:

FORMER Toon player, Celestine Babayaro is being chased by creditors after being declared bankrupt. The ex-Nigerian international, who was reported to earn £25,000-a-week at one stage, has been listed alongside a dinner lady and glass cutter in an announcement printed in the London Gazette.

The player, who won the gold with Nigeria at Atlanta '96 Olympic, has been living at an address on Laleham Road, in Shepperton, Middlesex, according to the order. Neighbours said they feared the former full-back, now 32, had fallen on hard times because the upkeep of his £475,000 property had slipped.

It is understood the player who started 66 times for the Magpies, had bought the house for family members to be near him when he signed for Chelsea, in 1997. The house is also next door to the home where his younger brother, Kennedy was understood to have lived until he died of tuberculosis in 2007.

A neighbour, who lives on the same street as Babayaro said: “You can tell money’s difficult because the home used to be maintained really nicely, but now it’s a bit of a mess. “You can see where the conservatory is starting to fall down and the garden is completely overgrown. They came and asked to borrow my lawnmower but I had to say no because the grass was too long and would have broken it.”

The bankruptcy order was first entered at a court in Croydon, London, last year, before being confirmed last month. It is understood Babayaro has recently been living abroad. The financial meltdown is the latest in a string of disappoint-ments for the U-17 World Cup winner in 1993.

After an injury-plagued spell at St James’s Park, Babayaro’s career stalled when he moved to the US in the hope of starring alongside David Beckham at LA Galaxy. But he was released by the club, and his hopes of a comeback with Portsmouth were dogged by a bout of malaria. Babayaro is understood to have racked up debt despite having the rest of his contract paid by Newcastle he was released in 2007.

He was signed for United for £1m by Graeme Souness, in 2005, and famously chose to play for the team just hours after his brother’s death.
source: http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/sports/17763-babayaro-declared-bankrupt-chased-by-creditors-in-uk

Na real wah o, so he can't even afford to buy a lawn mower. eyi madeke mademakemade ga gan o
Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by Nobody: 2:53pm On Feb 18, 2011
obafemi martins, are you watching?
Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by olumyde5(m): 2:56pm On Feb 18, 2011
wao dis really sad
Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by hbrednic: 2:57pm On Feb 18, 2011
Nigeria govt should bail out the guy,
a star is not supposed to suffer like this,he must have learnt by now.
Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by sweetguy10(m): 2:57pm On Feb 18, 2011
He should come back to Nigeria then , Abi . Momsy used to tell we all her children " if you are not accepted somewhere and you can't move on please come back home we'll always accept and care for you here " . Make he pack come back to Naija and besides the guy likes women too much . London women don dry him account
Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by dd1: 3:01pm On Feb 18, 2011
sad news
Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by COMPAQ(m): 3:03pm On Feb 18, 2011
hbrednic:

you must be nutsWhy on earth should nigerian govt bail him out
Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by olaolabiy: 3:04pm On Feb 18, 2011
This is what gambling does. He needs help. Castigating him is not the answer. A very good footballer he was. An NFA job?

By the way sha, Oyinbo girls used to engage in fisticuffs in order to get his attention cheesy.

In fact, Peter Crouch dem used to rely on him in order to pull girls cheesy.
Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by Sagamite(m): 3:05pm On Feb 18, 2011
Good riddance!!!

You make all that money and you lose it.

To hell with you.

solidifi:

Extravagant life style, lack of economic discipline, I ve arrived syndrome, bandwagon-effect, improvidence, name it. In spite of this, let Ngn govt as a whole & his billionaire soccer colleagues in particular,  bring him out this mess. Ngn footballers b your bro's keeper.

hbrednic:

Both of you need your heads examined.

Government should use tax payers money of poor and wretched people to bail out a man that frivolously wasted millions.

Don't let me see you voting in the upcoming elections.

Bloody Simpletons!

1 Like

Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by Mobinga: 3:10pm On Feb 18, 2011
Nigerian government needs to do what?

Men who waste money on partying, buying cars, whores and all those bs don't deserve any help when the sun turns black!

Silly Clods.

I'm glad I'm an Ikwerre man cool We don't spend stupidly.

1 Like

Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by misterh(m): 3:17pm On Feb 18, 2011
When he was making all the millions, he didn't think of this moment. Too bad,
Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by shakers(m): 3:21pm On Feb 18, 2011
what a shame for Babayaro, i am really sorry for him, its not easy falling down after living a very good life for a long time, my brother in London said that guy is one of the worst cassanova (playboy) he has ever seen, he clubs like crazy and all the white girls want to have a feel of him, i guess thats where the money went and his career ended so fast, he is just 32 and retired and  UNMARRIED, there are fullbacks like him that are 38 and still in action,
i pray he gets back on his feet again, he is still one of the best we ever had,
Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by GP15: 3:26pm On Feb 18, 2011
Sagamite:

Good riddance!!!

You make all that money and you lose it.

To hell with you.

Both of you need your heads examined.

Government should use tax payers money of poor and wretched people to bail out a man that frivolously wasted millions.

Don't let me see you voting in the upcoming elections.

Bloody Simpletons!

Thank you brother
Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by toba1909(m): 3:30pm On Feb 18, 2011
, and you've all believed what Nigerian Tribune published about C. Babayaro
I wonder the kind of thoughts running in human minds?
Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by r231(m): 3:32pm On Feb 18, 2011
hbrednic:

you are kidding right
Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by ifyalways(f): 3:32pm On Feb 18, 2011
If this news is true then its pathetic.
His so called country home at the villa is already overgrown and occupied by weeds,red earth and lizards.
Anywayz,all hope is not lost . . .he can still start from somewhere.Hopefully,he must have learnt a lesson or two.
Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by Nobody: 3:39pm On Feb 18, 2011
Too bad he wasted all that money , maybe he didn't deserve it in the first place
Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by olaolabiy: 3:41pm On Feb 18, 2011
Mobinga:

I'm glad I'm an Ikwerre man cool We don't spend stupidly.

We don sabi where you come from. Finally! smiley
Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by Nobody: 3:44pm On Feb 18, 2011
One time, about 4 years ago I read in complete sports how his coach talked about how generous Celestine was. He said he decided to visit some of his players in their home, and when it was Celestine's turn, he met many Nigerians their living with him. Celestine told him that many times some Nigerians arrive in London with nothing and he decided to help 'em. He fed them, clothed them and did almost everything for them (I chose to use past tense because the story has changed). The coach also said Celestine is a Philanthropist.

Nigerians don suck the guy die,

I was watching a program on TV some 3 years back. Celestine's home and cars, his driver and all that was mouth watering. I think the guy likes shaye shaye too much because they showed when one of his janitors, a white guy treated him like a king before he went out, how he dropped a news paper at the back of his car. The driver opened the car for him(white guys) and greeted as though he was a god. He should used thos Nigerian guys as drivers and janitors.
Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by doja(m): 4:05pm On Feb 18, 2011
He was not a disciplined player during his days with the super eagles so I am not surprised he is not outside the field of play.
Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by Intrepid1(m): 4:08pm On Feb 18, 2011
Make im go replace Daniel Amokachi and those other fuckin' Supersports analysts. I hope his english is better sha!
Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by bidemi12(m): 4:08pm On Feb 18, 2011
hbrednic:

This is a typical nigerian mentality for you. Tomorrow he will be the first one to shout that the government is wasting public funds, Kai!!
Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by Tcrack(m): 4:16pm On Feb 18, 2011
its a lesson for all of us. he still has many highly placed friends. i hope has properties he can sell sha. if he invests the money well, he can still get back on his feet.
Re: Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk by Bukittes(f): 4:24pm On Feb 18, 2011
I find this thread so very coincidental. For some of us doubting if the story was true or not, just two weeks ago my childhood friend came to spend some time with me from Abuja, we got talking and she told me she sees Cele in Abj cos we all grew up in Kaduna b4 parting ways for our different vocation. I asked how he is and this pathetic story was what she told me that can I believe Cele lives in a rented apartment in ABJ despite all that money then. I didn't know it was this bad though but I guess there was no lie in what she told me. I sincerely hope that we all learn from their mistakes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Shanghai Greenland Shenhua: Ighalo Unveiled As No. 9 For Chinese Football Club / John Ogu Celebrates His 31st Birthday (Photos) / #glocafawards2016: Full List Of Winners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.