Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,814 members, 7,844,636 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 03:17 AM

Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws (33768 Views)

Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle / Ndokis Are Ijaws...fact! / “yoruba People Own Lagos State Nigeria, All Others Are Guests”– Femi Fani Kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by Chyz2: 1:21am On Feb 19, 2011
Beaf:

Okokomaiko sounds like an Urhobo exclamation, Ikebe is the Urhobo word for arse used by Lagosions. . . Therefore, Urhobo people own Lagos. cool cool cool

Ikebe is the Igbo word for ass as well. cool
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by ezeagu(m): 1:30am On Feb 19, 2011
Chyz*:

Ikebe is the Igbo word for backside as well. cool

Delta State and the Igbo own pidgin.
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by Beaf: 1:32am On Feb 19, 2011
Chyz*:

Ikebe is the Igbo word for backside as well. cool

Nah! Urhobo hold the copyright.
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by Chyz2: 1:34am On Feb 19, 2011
Beaf:

Nah! Urhobo hold the copyright.

We dey use the word since the beginning of Igbo to earth.

[flash=350,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPB9ndKum90[/flash]
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by komando7(m): 1:52am On Feb 19, 2011
Eko is the Edo word for Lagos. Lagos is Bini territory, and not part of Ijawland.
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by Beaf: 2:03am On Feb 19, 2011
Chyz*:

We dey use the word since the beginning of Igbo to earth.

[flash=350,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPB9ndKum90[/flash]

Fail.

Urhobo own the copyright to the word, ikebe. cool
Here is a diagram of body parts in Igbo. Anioma peeps heard the word from Urhobo's, loved it and began to use it. Anybody would, its so damn descriptive! grin

Igbo words for parts of the body:

Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by Kilode1: 2:06am On Feb 19, 2011
See as Beaf and Chyz dey fight over Ikebe,  grin grin grin SMH

Anyway, chyz, forget that your keku-magolo war cheesy

Ever heard of Ogbomoso and Ibadan warriors?

Ask the Fulanis about my warriors, we don't fight clans, we fight empires. wink

Fulani will never forget us. With all their fake horses and help from Saudi they still couldn't advance cool

Only if alh harem can negotiate better to save his people now. cool
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by EzeUche2(m): 2:08am On Feb 19, 2011
The Kanuri did provide a stiff resistance to Uthman dan Fodio's jihad. And so did the Tiv. We Igbos should be thanking the Tiv for providing a bulwark against their raids.
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by EzeUche2(m): 2:12am On Feb 19, 2011
Kilode?!:

See as Beaf and Chyz dey fight over Ikebe,   grin grin grin SMH

Anyway, chyz, forget that your keku-magolo war cheesy

Ever heard of Ogbomoso and Ibadan warriors?

Ask the Fulanis about my warriors, we don't fight clans, we fight empires. wink

Fulani will never forget us. With all their fake horses and help from Saudi they still couldn't advance cool

Only if alh harem can negotiate better to save his people now. cool

I guess you haven't heard of the warriors from Eastern Igboland. Where the clans of the east took head-hunting to another level. And the skulls of our enemies were used to contain palm wine. Some may call that barbaric, but in war, anything goes. cool

And like I always say, it was the Aro Confederacy that were the last to fall and even have a war named after us. The Anglo-Aro war. What other group in Nigeria has that distinction?
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by ezeagu(m): 2:17am On Feb 19, 2011
EzeUche_:

I guess you haven't heard of the warriors from Easter Igboland. Where the clans of the east took head-hunting to another level. And the skulls of our enemies were used contain palm wine. Some may call that barbaric, but in war, anything goes. cool

And like I always say, it was the Aro Confederacy that were the last to fall and even have a war named after us. The Anglo-Aro war. What other group in Nigeria has that distinction?

Anglo-Benin war?
Aba women's riot?

Beaf:

Fail.

Urhobo own the copyright to the word, ikebe. cool
Here is a diagram of body parts in Igbo. Anioma peeps heard the word from Urhobo's, loved it and began to use it. Anybody would, its so damn descriptive! grin

Igbo words for parts of the body:

Igbo also call the 'bottom' 'Ukwu' (High, low). Google Failure.
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by EzeUche2(m): 2:26am On Feb 19, 2011
ezeagu:

Anglo-Benin war?
Aba women's riot?

They called this Anglo-Benin conflict an expedition. But for the Aro, they called it a war. Worthy of we to be given that distinction, and also to be acknowledged for our martial prowess. We met them in battle and died fighting to protect Arochukwu.

Aba Women's riot is not a war. undecided
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by Kilode1: 2:28am On Feb 19, 2011
EzeUche_:

I guess you haven't heard of the warriors from Easter Igboland. Where the clans of the east took head-hunting to another level. And the skulls of our enemies were used contain palm wine. Some may call that barbaric, but in war, anything goes. cool

Hahaha

My Aro Brotha, Forget that your Aro-gundade war! Even the British had to sign yahoo-yahoo documents to stop us from fighting.  cool

We thought the document was a surrender agreement for the Fulanis who were light skinned like Oyinbos. undecided

And we did not have Tivs to fight Fulanis for us. We prosecuted our wars all by ourselves. Ask the Fulanis,  their pipe-dream about getting to the sea stopped North of Odu'a country.

Oyinbos Could only take a few yorubas into slavery, it was not an error! You Can't keep scorpions in your pocket and go to sleep.  cheesy

Even most of the ones they took were returned back to Freetown and badagry ASAP.

Ask me about the few ones that didnt come back, I'll tell you the havok they wrecked in the diaspora. cool
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by ezeagu(m): 2:39am On Feb 19, 2011
Kilode?!:

Hahaha

My Aro Brotha, Forget that your Aro-gundade war! Even the British had to sign yahoo-yahoo documents to stop us from fighting.  cool

We thought the document was a surrender agreement for the Fulanis who were light skinned like Oyinbos. undecided

Why didn't they fight when they saw the documents were not talking about surrendering? grin

Kilode?!:

Oyinbos Could only take a few yorubas into slavery, it was not an error! You Can't keep scorpions in your pocket and go to sleep. cheesy

Even most of the ones they took were returned back to Freetown and badagry ASAP.

Same for Igbo slaves.

Kilode?!:

Ask me about the few ones that didnt come back, I'll tell you the havok they wrecked in the diaspora. cool

Don't even enter this territory, because it is the Igbo and then the Akan of Ghana who win this one.
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by EzeUche2(m): 2:39am On Feb 19, 2011
Kilode?!:

Hahaha

And we did not have Tivs to fight Fulanis for us. We prosecuted our wars all by ourselves. Ask the Fulanis,  their pipe-dream about getting to the sea stopped North of Odu'a country.

Oyinbos Could only take a few yorubas into slavery, it was not an error! You Can't keep scorpions in your pocket and go to sleep.  cheesy

grin grin grin

The Fulani would not have survived in our forest environment. What horses could they use against people who knew the forest and its secrets?

While most of the other groups were savanna people, the dark forest of Igboland were our home. Our ancestors followed the old gods who required retribution for the slaying of ONE member of the clan.

It took over 30 years for the Igbos to be pacified. One village at a time after the capitulation of the Aro Confederacy.

The onyeocha never ventured into Igboland until the early 1900s. They feared us, that is why they used intermediaries to come in contact with us.

The onyeocha pacified not through military conquest, but by their religion. A BIG distinction.
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by ezeagu(m): 2:51am On Feb 19, 2011
They came and set up bases in the 1800's, but in limited places mostly around the Niger river.
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by Kilode1: 3:08am On Feb 19, 2011
EzeUche_:

The Fulani would not have survived in our forest environment. What horses could they use against people who knew the forest and its secrets?

You are Right their horses failed in the forests on our side too. grin

ezeagu:

Why didn't they fight when they saw the documents were not talking about surrendering? grin

Because we already dropped the weapons after Fulani-Arabs ran away, Oyinbos used wayo on all of us. Wayo is better than any weapon  cool

BTW oyinbos are still using wayo, so be vigilant on your side ok. Convert back to worshipping Amadioha, we worship our own Orisas here in Yorubaland cool

Don't even enter this territory, because it is the Igbo and then the Akan of Ghana who win this one.

You better not go there. Some people(igbos included) boast that African Americans are Igbos so go figure.

Even Akans are like our serfs anyways cool

Anyway let me give you a little of what the remnants of Yorubas did in The Americas;

We cunningly acted like we accepted Oyinbo religion, then we converted all their saints and gods to Yoruba Orisas cool

Ask my people in Cuba, Brazil, Jamaica and even in Lousiana and the Americas  cool

I will respect you guys back when you start worshipping Arochukwu-Long-Juju or Amadioha back in Oyinboland and in the east.

We have Oyinbos bowing to Yemoja, Esu, Obatala, Osun and Sango as we type.

Don't try the children of Oduduwa o! shocked cheesy

The next catholic pope will probably come from South America, that will be the end. He will definitely be a private worshipper of Obatala at the least. grin
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by isalegan2: 3:29am On Feb 19, 2011
alj harem:

so have you asked your awori mom

Alj, brother,

I went out for too long this afternoon, and didn't get to talk to her today.  6hrs time difference.  I could have asked my dad but I'm afraid that, unlike my mom, he would laugh AT me and not WITH me. Either way, it's gonna end in laughter.  grin

Kilode?!:

Ask my people in Cuba, Brazil, Jamaica and even in Lousiana and the Americas  cool

I will respect you guys back when you start worshipping Arochukwu-Long-Juju or Amadioha back in Oyinboland and in the east.

The next catholic pope will probably come from South America, that will be the end. He will definitely be a private worshipper of Obatala at the least. grin

Kilode?! = Legend.  cool  cheesy
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by Kilode1: 3:33am On Feb 19, 2011
^^Iyalode Iwapele, all praise to the 401 Irunmoles across gbogbo Agbaye (world wide) cool
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by EzeUche2(m): 3:51am On Feb 19, 2011
Kilode?!, you are one Yoruba that I respect.

Wherever Igbos were that was not in the U.S., they kept a piece of religion as well, so you all are not special. Obeah in Suriname, Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana, Barbados, Belize and other Caribbean countries.

And we still have people following the old ways. Our shrines are still active.

Let me not emphasize the children of Nri either.
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by Onlytruth(m): 3:59am On Feb 19, 2011
LOL@ Ibime's "GIVE US LAND".

But @topic, someone raised an important point. How come the Ijaws are so land hungry while they are fishermen?
Wetin dem go take land do? lmao.

@military prowess, I don't believe that olden days proves much because that time, only a handful of white folks armed with musket and dane guns subdued millions of Africans.

I would boast more about Biafran military prowess than anything else because it happen in contemporary times when all instruments of modern warfare played roles: submachines guns, machine guns, howitzers (field artilery), armoured personnel carries (APC) and main battle tanks, fighters and bomber aircrafts, warships and thousands of men and women lined up in opposite fronts.

That is what I would call war, and only one group in Nigeria has actually seen that -Igbo, Ijaw, Ibibio/Annang, Ogoni, Ekoi.
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by Onlytruth(m): 4:03am On Feb 19, 2011
But I'm enjoying the quiet plot by some Yoruba peeps to breed us out of existence. lmao!

That means I have to sharpen my own instrument of subtle warfare too.
Afterall self restraint is not weakness.

I could father a nation in Yorubaland.
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by Kilode1: 4:05am On Feb 19, 2011
@Ezeuche, Thank you bro. Keep working hard at it. We need to seize the cultural and religious initiative back. Whoever controls the culture controls power.

Stand with us ok? We already have a whole chunk of Nigeria dancing to our music and language via Lagos. cool

You guys are doing well colonizing parts of Africa through movie production and marketing. But you'll need Yoruba help to make the cultural hegemony stick though. Even some young Kenyans and Zambians act like they are Nigerians these days, effects of nollywood. cool  cheesy

Anyways I've colonized this thread enough. Now I rest.
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by EzeUche2(m): 4:12am On Feb 19, 2011
^^^

Nigerian hegemony is fine with me. The Hausa already have their sphere of influence. It is time for the Southern groups to have our own.
cool cool cool
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by PhysicsRND(m): 4:17am On Feb 19, 2011
@ Ezeuche

In another thread when  you were asking about the Ijaws, I said there was no evidence that they were truly indigenous or aboriginal to all those places they were claiming more than other Nigerians.

This should provide some insight; I think this theory about the Niger-Congo (as opposed to Bantu or Afro-Asiatic) language speakers is plausible.

"As to the people. The country is occupied by two tribes, the Isokos and the
Erakwa. The Erakwa are but small in number, probably not more than two
thousand; they occupy a few villages near Patani; there are also a few of them
living at Abo. Although they have a language of their own, for practical
purposes they may be reckoned as Isokos, as they are of the same racial
stock.
Their neighbours on the north and east are the Abos; on the west the Sobos;
and the south the Western (or Patani) Ijaws. The Abos, who take their name
from their chief town, Abo, and are ruled by the Obi (i.e. "King"wink of Abo,
are a branch of the Ibo nation, and speak a dialect of Ibo. Unlike other Ibos,
they are at home on the water, and can handle canoes pretty well, better
perhaps than the Isokos can; they like, whenever possible, to have their
villages on the water-side. They have a number of villages in the Isoko Country,
e.g. Ase, Ibredini, Adiawali, Umoru, Onia; all of which are bilingual, Isoko
and Abo. Abos are friendly with, but slightly contemptuous of, the Isokos,
whom they regard as ignorant but harmless savages.
The attitude of the Ijaws to the Isokos is very different; a feeling of intense
hatred exists between the two tribes, and there is sure to be friction whenever
they come into contact. The Ijaws never refer to Isokos (or Erakwa) as such,
but always call them Igabo, as do the Abos also; similarly the Isokos refer to
Ijaws as Ahworia. Both of these are epithets meaning savage, cannibal, or
bushman. The Ijaws are a water-loving people, inhabiting the lower parts of
the delta, and are far more at home in a canoe than they are on land.
The Isokos and Erakwa are related to the Sobos and Binis; all four may be
regarded as branches of the Edo (or Benin) nation. The Isokos claim to have
"come from Benin," and undoubtedly at one time were directly ruled by the
Obba (or "King"wink of Benin. It is as well to remark that too much importance
must not be attached to this claim to have "come from Benin," seeing that the
Isokos' ancient enemies, the Patani Ijaws, also make a similar claim.
Until about fifteen years ago the Isokos had been almost untouched by
European influence, unlike Ijaws, Abos, and Sobos. Previously anything that
had been known about them were reports and rumours spread by the hostile
Ijaws or contemptuous Abos; so we always find them called Igabos.
For instance, in 'Up the Niger,' narrative of Major Claude MacDonald's
mission to the Niger and Benue rivers, which left England in June 1889, there
is the following notice: "Descending the river (i.e. the Warri or Forcados
River) at a rapid rate for 10 miles or so, we came to the mouth of the Ase river,
which flows in from the north. A short distance up this tributary lies the
trading station of Ase. The inhabitants of the country belong to the Patani
tribe, a people chiefly remarkable for their treachery, lawlessness, and love of
plunder." (A good description of the Patani Ijaws, but not of the Ase people,
who are perfectly respectable Abos!)
Also: "The Ijaw language is said to be peculiar in that it is closely connected
with that of the Sobos" (this is incorrect). "About the Agabos little is known
at present. They are not a large tribe, but occupy several villages on both
banks of the Wari River" (now known as the Forcados). "They speak a
distinct language, and appear to be industrious agriculturalists and oil producers."
Again, Major A. G. Leonard, in 'The Lower Niger and its Tribes,' pub?
lished 1906: "To the north of the Jekri are the Sobo, and to the eastward are the
Igabo?shy and timid, no doubt, but treacherous and rude." (That sounds as
though the Major got his information from an Ijaw.) He also notes that their
language is akin to Sobo and descended from Bini; and that it is different from
Ijaw.
The Isokos, like the Ibos, Ijaws, and Edos, are a Sudanese (not Bantu)
people. Their original home was much farther north, in the Sudan. Presumably,
at the time of Arab expansion some centuries ago, these Sudanese
tribes were driven by the Arabs from their homes southward into the Equatorial
Forest region. Arrived there, the strongest tribes seized the best
country, and the weaker ones had to be content with what was left.
"

- "The Isoko Country, Southern Nigeria"
 Author(s): John W. Hubbard
 Source: The Geographical Journal, Vol. 77, No. 2 (Feb., 1931), pp. 110-120

http://www.jstor.org/stable/1784387?seq=7 (If you have access to jstor)

I think the Niger Congo language speaking Africans did all come from the east and northeast (the "Sudan" (this is a much larger area than the current country), but probably at a very early time (more than 5000 years ago). Ijaws aren't aboriginals or indigenous. No Niger-Congo language speakers are indigenous or aboriginals to Nigeria or any countries to the West.
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by Onlytruth(m): 4:32am On Feb 19, 2011
Posted by: PhysicsRND

No Niger-Congo language speakers are indigenous or aboriginals to Nigeria or any countries to the West.

Mr Physics, abeg speak for yourself o!

This talk is even tautology because nobody can claim to be an aborigine of any land. Everybody fell from heaven like Oduduwa. lmao.

What is relevant is that you can defend your current land.
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by aljharem(m): 4:36am On Feb 19, 2011
Onlytruth:

This talk is even tautology because nobody can claim to be an aborigine of any land. Everybody fell from heaven like Oduduwa. lmao.

oga onlytruth i have been keeping quite please respect other people's believe. daalu biko
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by Onlytruth(m): 4:40am On Feb 19, 2011
^^

Look who is calling me to order - the man who calls for Igbos to be killed en-masse in Lagos.

My friend move over.

It was not meant as an insult and you know it. You couldn't help stoking fire where there is none.
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by PhysicsRND(m): 4:47am On Feb 19, 2011
Onlytruth:

It's just a theory.  We had discussed it earlier and I was a bit puzzled about the Ijaws' origin.

And as far as aborigine, what is obviously meant is relative aborigine.

If the Ijaws were in all the places they are claiming 2000+ years before anybody else, then their aboriginal (relative aborigine) claim could have some weight.

But from the kind of language they speak, regardless of whether they were somewhat isolated from other groups, if all the Niger-Congo groups arrived due to migrations from the "Sudan" or somewhere even further away in east Africa, they too are just immigrants and don't need to be propping up this aboriginal inhabitants of the creeks, coasts, swamps, deltas, etc. argument.

I know it doesn't have significance to the situation on the ground, where whoever has the best and most guns will win the land, but on a purely intellectual level, I want to know whether they are indeed some kind of aboriginal group that's being screwed over by the "big bad northern and southern Nigerian invaders and marginalizers". In the wake of seeing this (non-Arab, non- Afro-Asiatic) Sudanese/Bantu black African dichotomy, I would have to lean towards them being little different from the rest of the Niger-Congo groups and dismiss the aborigine theory (which P. Amaury Talbot, Adaka Boro, and other people propagated) as propaganda.

(P.S.  I don't belong to the group that mostly believes Oduduwa fell from heaven so I don't know you're bringing that up)  undecided
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by Onlytruth(m): 4:51am On Feb 19, 2011

I don't belong to the group that mostly believes Oduduwa fell from heaven so I don't know you're bringing that up

Apparently you missed the joke too.

I meant that our origins are still unknown.

You are following alj harem too closely. Back up a little.
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by ezeagu(m): 4:55am On Feb 19, 2011
Kilode?!:

Because we already dropped the weapons after Fulani-Arabs ran away, Oyinbos used wayo on all of us. Wayo is better than any weapon  cool

BTW oyinbos are still using wayo, so be vigilant on your side ok. Convert back to worshipping Amadioha, we worship our own Orisas here in Yorubaland cool

In the east, they continued fighting, whether with guns or dropped guns. My eyes are open. cool

Kilode?!:

You better not go there. Some people(igbos included) boast that African Americans are Igbos so go figure.

Some African Americans boast that they are Igbo. cool

Kilode?!:

Anyway let me give you a little of what the remnants of Yorubas did in The Americas;

We cunningly acted like we accepted Oyinbo religion, then we converted all their saints and gods to Yoruba Orisas cool

Leave Jamaica, that is Igbo Obeah country. The oyinboes (a word first used by Olaudah Equiano cool) that dealt with the Yoruba were not as 'serious' as the British. The Portuguese and sometimes Spanish were not serious in their 'Empire building' and they took too many slaves to South America, most from Angola/Congo, and the other majority from Yoruba. The Igbo religion did not survive like the Yoruba religion did in South America in any British colony of the time because there were no saints to hide their religion in, the slaves were not pushed into their own quarters as freely unchecked in British colonies, and the plantation owners were very strict.

Kilode?!:

You think there's no one in the east attending to those Arushi?

Kilode?!:

grin
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by Beaf: 5:01am On Feb 19, 2011
^
Is Obeah an Igbo word? Damn! I've learnt something new!
Re: Yorubas Do Not Own Lagos, The Ijaws Do. The Mahins, Ilajes And Aworis Are Ijaws by EzeUche2(m): 5:04am On Feb 19, 2011
PhysicsRND:

@ Ezeuche

In another thread when  you were asking about the Ijaws, I said there was no evidence that they were truly indigenous or aboriginal to all those places they were claiming more than other Nigerians.

The Isokos, like the Ibos, Ijaws, and Edos, are a Sudanese (not Bantu)
people. Their original home was much farther north, in the Sudan. Presumably,
at the time of Arab expansion some centuries ago, these Sudanese
tribes were driven by the Arabs from their homes southward into the Equatorial
Forest region. Arrived there, the strongest tribes seized the best
country, and the weaker ones had to be content with what was left.
"

- "The Isoko Country, Southern Nigeria"
 Author(s): John W. Hubbard
 Source: The Geographical Journal, Vol. 77, No. 2 (Feb., 1931), pp. 110-120

http://www.jstor.org/stable/1784387?seq=7 (If you have access to jstor)

I think the Niger Congo language speaking Africans did all come from the east and northeast (the "Sudan" (this is a larger area than the current country). Ijaws aren't aboriginals or indigenous. No Niger-Congo language speakers are indigenous or aboriginals to Nigeria or any countries to the West.

I do not believe this for one main reason. Many of the Niger-Congo groups were already in present day Nigeria, prior to the birth of Islam in 610 CE. And Islam did not arrive into Africa until 750 CE. The Arab conquest of the Sudan happened much later, because of the Nubian kingdoms prevented them from expanding into the interior of the continent.

That is why I do not believe that hypothesis.

I tend to believe that the Ijaws left the other Niger-Congo groups far earlier than the rest of the groups. And probably were pushed into the swamps, by the much larger groups such as the Igboid and Edoid speaking groups.

Or the other hypothesis that they arrived from the sea since they have an affinity for the sea.

"The Ijoid languages form a branch of the Niger-Congo family and are noted for their Subject Object Verb basic word order, which is otherwise an unusual feature in Niger-Congo[b], shared only by such distant branches as Mande and Dogon[/b]. Like Mande and Dogon, Ijoid lacks even traces of the noun class system considered characteristic of Niger-Congo, and so may have split early from that family."

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Lagos Judicial Panel Of Inquiry Visits Lekki Toll Gate, Discovers Bullet Shells / Photos From Damasak Where Boko Haram Unleashed Terror / Kankara School Abduction: How I Escaped From The Gunmen - Student Tells BBC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.