Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,961 members, 7,810,656 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:51 PM

Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week - Health (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week (33660 Views)

More Teaching Hospitals Risk Shutdown Over Exodus Of Medical Professionals / The Twin-Tragedy Of Nigerian Doctors' Strike And Mass Exodus / COVID-19: Danger Looms As Nigerians Jettison Safety Measures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by Nobody: 5:32pm On Aug 26, 2020
Yankee101:

Trust me, you're a baby in that field
Ha!
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by ahiboilandgas: 5:41pm On Aug 26, 2020
victons:
How will this stop the doctors from fleeing
they can flee after the bond...how do officer not flee after graduting from Nda ?
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by Analysiscorner: 6:29pm On Aug 26, 2020
MASTAkiLLAh:
I support this move wholeheartedly. If Aisha Buhari can fly out of the country during pandemic lockdown to go and treat ordinary neck pain that Aboniki N50 could have solved then I see no reason why our doctors will have to sit back in this hell hole further destroyed by Buhari, a president that couldn’t even store ordinary plaster and panadol in Aso Rock clinic, a president who’s own health minister advised doctors to become tailors and farmers because “not everyone can become a doctor” . In fact, I advise anyone with handwork and a certificate to find their way out at least for the future of their children
You are funny
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by Analysiscorner: 6:33pm On Aug 26, 2020
FrLukas:

A big lie.

The naira took a huge nosedive against the dollar in 2014 November/December.

There was scarcity of forex in 2015.
Blood will flow politician who is the current occupant of Aso Rock made it possible
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by KOE1(m): 6:50pm On Aug 26, 2020
Am sure they know the there will be heavy tax as well.
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by frog12: 6:52pm On Aug 26, 2020
the WORST part, the ones migrating are most likely the BEST in their departments. We are left with the crumps that can't even work.
this GOD complex starts while they are in medical schools. they THINK dey deserve the entire country earnings. they want to buy expensive cars immediately.

victons:
Botswana pays up to 850k
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by drmuchin: 8:00pm On Aug 26, 2020
DrFunmisticGlow:
residency is a waste of time in this country.

WHAT A BIG SHAME!
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by Gerrard59(m): 9:28pm On Aug 26, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
most of them dont do calculation they think 25m naira (50 pounds) will give same type of lifestyle and chilling in uk......u might move from a duplex in Nigeria to a condon in uk and still pay 1200 pounds per months....u cant even have a nanny ,cook, house girl,maiguard driver any more ......u will wash ,iron ,cook your meals your self .....all those 15000 house girls in NIgeeria no dey u will pay 700 pounds for day care from that salary ....

Why do you people think everything is about money? Some people just want to live in a sane and efficient environment, nothing else. BTW, are you not the one living in Canada?

2 Likes

Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by armadeo(m): 9:58pm On Aug 26, 2020
frog12:
if all the DOCTORS disappear tomorrow, you go start to PRAISE me

What if all the bus driver disappear tomorrow or all the food traders.

Imagine if all the bakers or tailors disappeared.

Oga everybody is important
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by armadeo(m): 10:04pm On Aug 26, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
we are not against doctor been rich or poor ....doctors can come together and set up private practices and charge their millions and buy private jets......but doctor trained by our collective tax contributions must not run to the uk is like duping tax payers .....acess bank trains graduate on a 2 m naira bond or 2 years .....so public doctor must sign bonds to be admitted to public school run by public tax......

Why just doctors. Everybody will sign the bond too. Engineers lawyers pharmacists everybody upto languages. It will affect all. So a language graduate too will serve bond before trying to better himself
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by erico2k2(m): 10:59pm On Aug 26, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
50000 pounds per anum gross incoms ...less 20 percent incoms tax 10000 pounds out less rent 12000 pounds out less feeding and transport 15000 pounds ....less taxing by Family 2000 pounds =....40000 pounds gone in expends saving....circa 800 pounds monthly x500 =400,000 ......not bad .......
u calculation is wrong. U are taxed according to a tax code .we might earn £30k but my take home might be different frm yours due to difference in tax code.U need to have lived and worked in the UK to understand how the average salary earners live.U cant read it up.

1 Like

Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by ukay2: 11:23pm On Aug 26, 2020
armadeo:

Why just doctors. Everybody will sign the bond too. Engineers lawyers pharmacists everybody upto languages. It will affect all. So a language graduate too will serve bond before trying to better himself

A bi oo grin grin

1 Like

Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by DrFunmisticGlow: 8:20am On Aug 27, 2020
drmuchin:

WHAT A BIG SHAME!
what's shameful about it, it's the truth
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by mmsen: 12:12pm On Aug 27, 2020
martineverest:
just leave them alone...our doctors were on holiday during Corona..while foreign ones were overworked tirelessly.they think it's going to be heavenly practicing medicine abroad..they mistakes they escape with while practicing medicine in naija will land them in jail if hey make such mistake

That final sentence is the sad truth.

They will be under greater scrutiny as foreign doctors and subject to the usual discriminatory behavior that is rife in many of the listed nations.

There will be no tolerance for any of the nonsense that they get away with within Nigeria.
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by Nobody: 1:33pm On Aug 27, 2020
heykims:
Nigerian leaders are daft, u train doctors almost for free and u lose them to other nations that run medical schools very expensively.
The govt should find a way to tie down the doctors by improving their welfare.
Medical schools in Nigeria are almost for free but in the advanced countries, it is a multimillion naira project that graduate doctors have to spend years paying off student loans after graduation.
A little learning is a dangerous thing. Where on earth did Nigerians get the idea that medical training is free (or almost free)? This is complete rubbish. I am a medical doctor (almost a consultant to be precise). I paid school fees, exam fees, paid for text books, projects, etc. In fact, I paid more than my colleagues in other courses. So where is the "free" that you're talking about? In residency training, I paid almost 100k each time for primaries exam till I passed. I then was lucky to get a place for residency almost immediately (some of my colleagues had to travel far and wide for interviews before getting, and some had to sign to pay with the first 3 months salary before getting). While in residency I've travelled for several update courses costing over 200k each and writing books all at my expense. I recently passed my exam which cost 160k minus travel, accommodation, feeding, etc expenses all paid by me (I was blessed to pass first attempt. Each exam costs almost 500k in total and I know doctors that have had to write up to 6 times before passing not because they're not good but because frankly speaking our residency in this country is almost crap and filled with many sadistic examiners). Government pays nothing so forget the lies they tell you on tv. I owe Nigeria nothing, Nigerian doctors owe this country nothing. Even consultants are fleeing, I have considered it several times but I have a lot to consider.

3 Likes

Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by Nobody: 1:38pm On Aug 27, 2020
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by Nobody: 1:46pm On Aug 27, 2020
martineverest:
just leave them alone...our doctors were on holiday during Corona..while foreign ones were overworked tirelessly.they think it's going to be heavenly practicing medicine abroad..they mistakes they escape with while practicing medicine in naija will land them in jail if hey make such mistake
Please refuse to be foolish. Many of my colleagues got infected and some died. You talk about mistakes? Yes, they will happen once in a while because we're human (I'm sure you don't make mistakes and foreign doctors too don't make mistakes), but NEGLIGENCE is one thing that is not forgivable in the profession. And yes, despite the occasional racism it's still better working there. My colleague who left two years ago said to me and I quote:
"Yes, there might be a little racism but it's not as bad as the tribalism I suffered in Nigeria. Here, I am given my due because I add value irrespective of my nationality. What Nigeria failed to give me UK has given me. I have no regrets. Please hurry up and come."

1 Like

Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by martineverest(m): 1:54pm On Aug 27, 2020
alphajba12:
Please refuse to be foolish. Many of my colleagues got infected and some died. You talk about mistakes? Yes, they will happen once in a while because we're human (I'm sure you don't make mistakes and foreign doctors too don't make mistakes), but NEGLIGENCE is one thing that is not forgivable in the profession. And yes, despite the occasional racism it's still better working there. My colleague who left two years ago said to me and I quote:
"Yes, there might be a little racism but it's not as bad as the tribalism I suffered in Nigeria. Here, I am given my due because I add value irrespective of my nationality. What Nigeria failed to give me UK has given me. I have no regrets. Please hurry up and come."
u could pass it message without throwing insults
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by Nobody: 2:18pm On Aug 27, 2020
martineverest:
u could pass it message without throwing insults
Sorry for the insult. However my message remains the same. I would have you know that while in Nigeria I have to see close to 30 or more patients in clinic, my colleagues in the UK (and other doctors there) are FORCED to see not more than 7 or less. The rationale is that the doctor should give more time to the patient and to prevent the doctor from getting fatigued as a tired doctor is more prone to making mistakes. We have a long way to go in this country.

1 Like

Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by heykims(m): 2:30pm On Aug 27, 2020
alphajba12:
A little learning is a dangerous thing. Where on earth did Nigerians get the idea that medical training is free (or almost free)? This is complete rubbish. I am a medical doctor (almost a consultant to be precise). I paid school fees, exam fees, paid for text books, projects, etc. In fact, I paid more than my colleagues in other courses. So where is the "free" that you're talking about? In residency training, I paid almost 100k each time for primaries exam till I passed. I then was lucky to get a place for residency almost immediately (some of my colleagues had to travel far and wide for interviews before getting, and some had to sign to pay with the first 3 months salary before getting). While in residency I've travelled for several update courses costing over 200k each and writing books all at my expense. I recently passed my exam which cost 160k minus travel, accommodation, feeding, etc expenses all paid by me (I was blessed to pass first attempt. Each exam costs almost 500k in total and I know doctors that have had to write up to 6 times before passing not because they're not good but because frankly speaking our residency in this country is almost crap and filled with many sadistic examiners). Government pays nothing so forget the lies they tell you on tv. I owe Nigeria nothing, Nigerian doctors owe this country nothing. Even consultants are fleeing, I have considered it several times but I have a lot to consider.
We ain't talking of the post graduate level sir. The fact is medical school at the undergraduate level is almost free when compared to the cost in the advanced countries. U stated u paid school fees in medical school, how much was it?
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by martineverest(m): 2:30pm On Aug 27, 2020
alphajba12:
Sorry for the insult. However my message remains the same. I would have you know that while in Nigeria I have to see close to 30 or more patients in clinic, my colleagues in the UK (and other doctors there) are FORCED to see not more than 7 or less. The rationale is that the doctor should give more time to the patient and to prevent the doctor from getting fatigued as a tired doctor is more prone to making mistakes. We have a long way to go in this country.
I hear u....but wouldn't be ungrateful that u were able to study medicine on a platter of gold in Nigeria,compared to how much British, Ghanaians, American and Canadian citizens pay to get a medical degree?
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by Nobody: 2:47pm On Aug 27, 2020
heykims:

We ain't talking of the post graduate level sir. The fact is medical school at the undergraduate level is almost free when compared to the cost in the advanced countries. U stated u paid school fees in medical school, how much was it?
The student loans you refer to would be accessed if same was available in nigeria. In medical school I had colleagues who had many side hustles to pay school fees, buy books, register for exams, etc. I went to a public university and lucky for me my parents were able to pay for all I needed but still with some pains. It's a different ball game entirely when talking about private universities in Nigeria....now that is expensive. I must confess that I believe the standard of medical training in private universities is likely to be far better due to fewer students, more facilities. In my class we were almost 200 (after weeding) and practicals was very mediocre as far as I'm concerned due to our large number and few facilities even when available. It was during internship that many of us consolidated the shabby training we received. However Nigeria is fortunate to have great medical teachers in the public universities despite the numerous disadvantages.
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by Nobody: 2:52pm On Aug 27, 2020
martineverest:
I hear u....but wouldn't be ungrateful that u were able to study medicine on a platter of gold in Nigeria,compared to how much British, Ghanaians, American and Canadian citizens pay to get a medical degree?
There was and is no platter of gold. The places you mentioned have very cheap medical schools as well. Even Ukraine, russia, Georgia, Philippines, etc (I have interns working under me that studied there) have very cheap medical schools. Of course the quality of training will reflect vis-a-vis the cost of tuition. Nigerian doctors that went to public universities have to work extremely hard to make up for the advantages they lack compared with those in private medical schools.
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by martineverest(m): 2:56pm On Aug 27, 2020
alphajba12:
There was and is no platter of gold. The places you mentioned have very cheap medical schools as well. Even Ukraine, russia, Georgia, Philippines, etc (I have interns working under me that studied there) have very cheap medical schools. Of course the quality of training will reflect vis-a-vis the cost of tuition. Nigerian doctors that went to public universities have to work extremely hard to make up for the advantages they lack compared with those in private medical schools.
your last sentence isn't totally true.hope u know that doctors from federal university got upper hand than private university doctors

those countries u mentioned won't allow their citizens practice medicine abroad freely.they are usually required to work for their home countries for sometime b4 they can leave for greener pastures
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by erico2k2(m): 5:43pm On Aug 27, 2020
mmsen:

That final sentence is the sad truth.

They will be under greater scrutiny as foreign doctors and subject to the usual discriminatory behavior that is rife in many of the listed nations.

There will be no tolerance for any of the nonsense that they get away within Nigeria.
U will be surprised to know that the medical dept of our Unis is the very one dept that corruption is minimum.(ja doctors are at a premium in the UK.
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by ahiboilandgas: 4:52pm On Aug 28, 2020
alphajba12:
This is just the beginning
which begining do u know how many year this migration thing start how many doctor has emigrated back to set up private practice....it a two way thing.....and a win win for Nigeria ...pls keep sending the pounds to sure up our remittances......we need a healthy economy....
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by HumanCalc: 9:43pm On Aug 29, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
who are those people paying 6m for b.i.s ,bowen ,daywaterman college,just for secondary school and who are those paying 5m in abti ,baze,Turkish,covenant,bell afebablola university ...this same group will pay 5m for mbbs if public university are privatized and charge tution......there over 50000 Nigerian families that pay 5m yearly for mbbs if kids show interest......politicians are not spirit or ghost ....doctors can become politician if they luv the perks and salary ...and if they can spend millions for mobilize elections.......if u pay 30m for election form and spend 200m to become rep .....how will u recoup such money ...can doctors spend such sum or risk 5000 naira .......the politician in Nigeria spends over 60 percent of his income on the public ....how about doctors ? How do they help financially? .....a local govt chairman pay hospital bills ,weddibg ceremony,school fee,and all bills ,how about doctors ur salary is only for u and family .....
Haa...one will always encounter strangely daft people on NL though. Pls, were you dozing or under hypnotisation when you wrote this? You said a politician spends 60% of his income on public? Are you that daft? Do you think it's their money those senators are using to build well for you? No!! The FG allocate certain money to them (apart from the outrageous salary running into millions that they collect each month). This allocation is for them to do something good for their constituencies. But guess what? They still spend that money on their own family members, sending them abroad while an ignorant fool like you is here defending them on NL after they use like 20% of money given to them for the community to get you guys Okada Bajaj and our women sewing machines. Wake up!!!

And also, you asked that how are doctors contributing to economy, you yourself, what is your work? How are you contributing to economy? How are lawyers contributing to economy? And lecturers, engineers, bankers? Or are doctors the highest paid in the country? So why is a question that should be answered by virtually everyone in the country directed at just the doctors? Dey always think before you type na. It's not that hard!!! Just try!

1 Like

Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by ahiboilandgas: 10:45pm On Aug 29, 2020
HumanCalc:
Haa...one will always encounter strangely daft people on NL though. Pls, were you dozing or under hypnotisation when you wrote this? You said a politician spends 60% of his income on public? Are you that daft? Do you think it's their money those senators are using to build well for you? No!! The FG allocate certain money to them (apart from the outrageous salary running into millions that they collect each month). This allocation is for them to do something good for their constituencies. But guess what? They still spend that money on their own family members, sending them abroad while an ignorant fool like you is here defending them on NL after they use like 20% of money given to them for the community to get you guys Okada Bajaj and our women sewing machines. Wake up!!!

And also, you asked that how are doctors contributing to economy, you yourself, what is your work? How are you contributing to economy? How are lawyers contributing to economy? And lecturers, engineers, bankers? Or are doctors the highest paid in the country? So why is a question that should be answered by virtually everyone in the country directed at just the doctors? Dey always think before you type na. It's not that hard!!! Just try!
i wrote jamb in 1998 ....i think nairaland should have age restrictions cause some poorly trained babies still sucking mama breast comenting on issue beyond there comprehension ....u are Just writing jamb u are puting mouth in National issue of manpower planning ....first get admission...

1 Like

Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by HumanCalc: 1:01am On Aug 30, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
i wrote jamb in 1998 ....i think nairaland should have age restrictions cause some poorly trained babies still sucking mama breast comenting on issue beyond there comprehension ....u are Just writing jamb u are puting mouth in National issue of manpower planning ....first get admission...
A yoruba adage says "Agba o ko ogbon" meaning "age isn't a determinant of wisdom". That you wrote jamb in 1998 clearly means you having been on this earth and in this country for a while. How come your sense of reasoning doesn't grow with you. What you wrote up there is just clearly hateful, flawed, and partial to the core.

Fyi, I am an undergraduate the same way you once were.
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by banku: 1:50am On Aug 30, 2020
How many countries tailored the training of their doctors for outsiders?

Until Nigeria stop wasting money on them and change the curriculum, they will continue to leave.

Nobody has accused Community Health Officers of leaving Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by anonimi: 2:30am On Aug 30, 2020
banku:
How many countries tailored the training of their doctors for outsiders?
Until Nigeria stop wasting money on them and change the curriculum, they will continue to leave.
Nobody has accused Community Health Officers of leaving Nigeria.

How many countries are routinely abandoned by their presidents to be treated by outsiders as Barawo Bubu has done for months despite billions in Aso Rock clinic budget?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3773720_c_jpegb64ec3ea372d1d8674886470b02116de

1 Like

Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by ahiboilandgas: 7:38am On Aug 30, 2020
HumanCalc:
A yoruba adage says "Agba o ko ogbon" meaning "age isn't a determinant of wisdom". That you wrote jamb in 1998 clearly means you having been on this earth and in this country for a while. How come your sense of reasoning doesn't grow with you. What you wrote up there is just clearly hateful, flawed, and partial to the core.

Fyi, I am an undergraduate the same way you once were.
when u come of age then you can reason well ....i can father u so pls stop quoting me .....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Fire From Lantern Burns NewBorn Baby In Calabar (Graphic Photos) / Nosy Ude: How I Beat Cancer In 8 Months / How True Is Graviola Tree Being A Natural Cancer Cell Killer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.