Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,252 members, 7,829,476 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:45 AM

Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos (64137 Views)

Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection / Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision / Samuel Adegbola: Supreme Court Dethrones First-Class Oyo Monarch, Eleruwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by BabaRamota1980: 2:05pm On Aug 26, 2020
horsepower102:

Exactly this thread was just an excuse to insult igbo people.

Now every Yorubas that has been saying hateful things about igbos now cares for igbo women more than igbo men....lol
We follow news. This is national news because the ruling came from Supreme Court. Take it as you want.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by stayclearofme: 2:08pm On Aug 26, 2020
chatinent:

I wasn't encouraging tribalism.

You are welcome.
Lol....that is a fact not tribalism. I responded relative to the issue on ground.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by herich(m): 2:13pm On Aug 26, 2020
AmazonTopaz:

@bold,I am igbo and you are so right I cannot marry an Igbo man.I agree with all you have said.

How does your problem concern the public or concern the person you're (quoting)narrating your problem to.
Because this enemy you're narrating your problem to,,, will still use it against you. tomorrow, on this tribalistic forum, filled with hates. I doubt if you're even igbo, because no smart Igbo lady that can make this comment in a national public forum.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Justpassingby45(m): 2:17pm On Aug 26, 2020
Supreme Court should channel it energy in giving women all over the country (Nigeria) the right to one man, one woman in family. This one is more important than any other

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by hammer8: 2:18pm On Aug 26, 2020
omooba969:
Igbo women are gorgeous walahi grin...but one would expect their men to show due consideration in this modern age.

Verily, their men need to stop wearing that red cap & head warmer coz it's proven by WHO that those head coverings prevent good reasoning/judgement especially in our tropical region. grin

IF ONLY U KNOW HOW STUPID U LOOK ON FP, U WONT JUMP INTO OTHER PEOPLE CULTURAL MATTER, LIKE DAT.

NO IGBO FAMILY WILL GIVE INHERITANCE TO THEIR DAUGHTER, SHE IS MEANT TO FIND A HUSBAND AND NOT STAY AND MARRY HER FATHER FOR INHERITANCE, WHICH BELONGS TO HER MOTHER.

IF THEIR MOTHER PASS, IT GOES TO THE SONS OF THE LAND.

I AM TALKING ABOUT ANCESTRAL LAND.

HOWEVER, MONEY AND OTHER STUFF, SHE CAN INHERIT.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Rutherford2019: 2:19pm On Aug 26, 2020
Alaska90:

Very evil and wicked culture..... I think you should encourage your mother to take legal action

I wanted to take up the case but many old people in the village warned me that if I win in court theycan follow the other way to eliminate me like my grandfather...I mean charm
And besides I lack the financial capability to follow up such case
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Miracle1991: 2:19pm On Aug 26, 2020
Chienex24:

Thank youuuuu!!!. You deserve a deep kiss for this!!

Distributing wealth and properties can easily be stated in a man's will. No big deal!!

But this our government is simply hypocritical sort of when we compare their actions between the north & south. Sharia court sentenced a 13yr-old boy, a minor to jail, another to death but they did nothing even when our constitution is supreme to theirs...
Is it that currently, the North seems untouchable and nothing can be overturned?? undecided undecided
no law is more than than the Constitution? You are free to challenge that sharia judgement in an appeal or supreme Court. Don't sit down there and blame government,go and challenge that judgement.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by csamii: 2:19pm On Aug 26, 2020
herich:

How does your problem concern the public or concern the person you're (quoting)narrating your problem to.
Because this enemy you're narrating your problem to,,, will still use it against you. tomorrow, on this tribalistic forum, filled with hates. I doubt if you're even igbo, because no smart Igbo lady that can make this comment in a national public forum.

You're looking at a core hypocrite!

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Rutherford2019: 2:20pm On Aug 26, 2020
AmazonTopaz:
Has your mom and aunt not thought about going to court?

Thereis no money for court case..
The deed is done
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Miracle1991: 2:22pm On Aug 26, 2020
Rutherford2019:

I wanted to take up the case but many old people in the village warned me that if I win in court theycan follow the other way to eliminate me like my grandfather...I mean charm
And besides I lack the financial capability to follow up such case
fear of the unknown.It is better you die for something than dieing for nothing.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by PericomaNwankwo: 2:24pm On Aug 26, 2020
PureFace1:

Typical Nyamirin Osu Igbo which pacesetting is this one talking about now?

Always trying to brag over nothing like an empty barrel. You sure talk big as an inferior and insecure Osu

grin grin I'm not the girl that broke your heart
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by webizone(m): 2:28pm On Aug 26, 2020
PerseDew:
Good thing Ms Gladys took this matter to court. When it pains the most is when the daughter(s) have literally nothing in terms of a job or a business and you will see men like the king that was threatening chaos insisting on the lady getting nothing but they will be the first to flip out if she wears uncovers her hair in church or does not attend the town's women meeting. But why will she do so when she sees that her interests as a woman are not covered or what else is the essence of such meetings if not to protect your right as an indigene of the town and in turn ensure progressive growth of the town.

These same men that oppose judgement in favour of Ms. Gladys will start quoting bible when a woman does wears does not cover hair in church or wears trousers. But they can never see the part in the bible where God changed the laws of inheritance for the five daughters of Zelophehad to inherit their father's property. The same goes for igbo men of God that know about this issue of females inheriting nothing but would rather ignore and encourage penniless ladies to continue praying for jobs, husband or wealth to fall on her husband when her portion of inheritance could go a long way in changing her status.

"And if a man dies, AND LEAVES NO SON, then the daughters gets the inheritance. And if he LEAVES NO DAUGHTERS, then it's shared amongst his brothers."

You deliberately left that part. But I am not against the daughters getting something though.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by golddare: 2:28pm On Aug 26, 2020
rabzy:

This is not true, if the first son performs the burial rites , then he can inherit hereditary titles and the house where the father lived and died. If the man has no sons, then the eldest daughter inherits the house but not the title. The title goes to the next of kin of the man. Any other property would be shared amongst the children not male and female. Any child born out of wedlock who is not known in the household i.e whose mother did not cook for the man in the house is disinherited, but the son is brought into the house and the man affirms that he is his son, then he can get inheritance. You can also not disown a known son without performing some rites.

Now let's reason this together, if the first son is the last born then he takes over the house even if that's the only house. If the first son is the first born and he is not rich enough to do the burial alone he loses out. This is not different from the marginalisation of women in the East, infact Edo marginalised a poor first son. I know its culture and it has caused a lot issues between families.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by PericomaNwankwo: 2:29pm On Aug 26, 2020
FrLukas:
[s][/s]

Mr Nwankwo, I'm not going to insult the Igbo tribe because of a mentally deficient and vacuous minded soul like you.

You think spelling the word Yoruba as yarriba means anything? I it can only mean something to people like you who are yet to develop a useable medulla oblongata.

The only people I pity are the Igbo women who have to put up with chauvinist cretins like you who see the women as commodity to be bartered at weddings.

The Igbo culture treats it's women abysmally.

Non inheritance by females is despicable.

The treatment of widows is appalling.

Selling of your daughter to a man because you managed to send her to higher institution is a cavalier attitude.

No wonder the average Igbo lady would rather marry a Yoruba man. I don't blame them though.

You can dance zanku on my mentions all you like, I won't be responding to your juvenile rants after this.

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Miracle1991: 2:30pm On Aug 26, 2020
Swanzi:

Pls don’t be a hypocrite are u not aware there’s a sharia court in the north ...?
did the Sharia Court supersede the Constitution of Nigeria? Or the supreme Court?
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by hammer8: 2:30pm On Aug 26, 2020
webizone:

"And if a man dies, AND LEAVES NO SON, then the daughters gets the inheritance. And if he LEAVES NO DAUGHTERS, then it's shared amongst his brothers."

You deliberately left that part. But I am not against the daughters getting something though.

DAUGHTERS GET TO KEEP THEIR FATHER PROPERTY, IF HE HAS NO SON.

HOWEVER, THEY DO NOT GET A SHARE OF HIS ANCESTRAL LAND AND PROPERTIES, THAT GOES TO THEIR FATHER'S BROTHER. AND HIS SONS.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, FATHER INHERITANCE GOES TO HIS WIFE AND NOT HIS DAUGHTER.

ONLY WEN THE WIFE DIES CAN THE CHILDREN INHERIT PROPERTIES.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by hammer8: 2:33pm On Aug 26, 2020
IGBO PEOPLE HAVE THEIR WAY OF DOING THINGS AND ONE YORUBA MAN IN SUPREME COURT CANNOT TAKE ADVANTAGE TO MAKE TRADITION FOR US.

NOBODY HAS REGARD FOR SUPREME COURT JUDGEMENT ON MATTERS OUR ANCESTORS HAVE SETTLED FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS.

I BELIEVE ONE OF THE MONARCH MADE THAT CLEAR.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 2:35pm On Aug 26, 2020
tot:
Why can't people simply make wills? That would have the final say over any custom.
One of my grand aunties had a will before she died. Her grown up son's refused to to follow the will because their mother shared property to allbher children both make and female. Note. Is was her property not thelat her husband left it for her. She worked for it herself.
It took 10yrs to settle the matter in court. People were staying free in the houses for all the 10yrs. These men saying women will to have a share in their mother's property didn't contribute to their mother's life or buriel. And they were not hungry men o. They had better property than what their mother left. The girls were the ones who took care of the woman.
They finally agreed as the women too refused to give up their own share.
Some people will still not accept their father's will if they feel it doesn't favour them.
If I have kids and they misbehave, I don't mind giving all my property to the criminal Federal government. Let them go and work for their own.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by hammer8: 2:40pm On Aug 26, 2020
THE AVERAGE IGBO MAN RELATIONSHIP WITH HIS DAUGHTER HAVE A CLEAR DIVIDE LINE.

DAUGHTERS ARE NEVER MISTAKEN FOR WIVES.

I WILL PAY YOUR SCHOOL FEES, GIVE YOU POCKET MONEY, FEED, HOUSE AND CLOTH YOU UNTIL U FIND THE LOVE OF YOUR LIFE.

MY PROPERTIES ARE FOR YOUR MOTHER AND MY WIFE.

WITH YOU HAPPILY MARRIED, WEN MY WIFE PASS, THEY GO TO MY SON, WITH THE EXEMPTION THAT I SPECIFICALLY GIFTED YOU MAYBE A HOUSE OR A CAR OR MONEY IN MY WILL.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by ojuu4u(m): 2:41pm On Aug 26, 2020
ABELKIDO:

What about Sharia law in the north that condemned someone to death of whom Nigeria constitution didn't condem .

If such person do not want to die, tell him to appeal the judgment.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Cantonese: 2:42pm On Aug 26, 2020
FrLukas:

You are absolutely wrong.

Just limit your observations to Igbo culture please.

Relegating women to the background is NOT a general African culture.

I am Yoruba and I know that women are highly revered in Yoruba culture.

Go and read of the likes of Efunsetan, Moremi etc. Yorubas have many goddesses that they worship and revere like Osun, Oba, Yemoja, Oya etc.

Apart from Yoruba, there are other African cultures that the female takes pride of place.

There's one in east Africa where the women are the ones that choose the men they want to marry and they are allowed to do away with the men and marry another one when they are tired of them. Etc.

Maybe your experience is limited to what happens in your immediate surroundings.
Even the Yorubas experience this practice of women getting relegated by their male folk.

That some Yoruba communities worship goddesses does not erase the fact that women do not have inheritances in their father's houses. Some men do not want their daughters getting cheated by their sons when they are no longer there. They share their properties and ensure that everyone holds on to his/her own entitlement.

A case comes to mind. A man died and left a storey building at Isale Eko and 8 acres of land along Ibadan expressway. He left two daughters and one son. The son claimed the whole properties asserting that his two sisters had no portion in the inheritance left by their father. The sisters took him up and were awarded two acres of lands each in full and final settlement.

Can you disagree also about our people in the north? Can you honestly say that women have rights? If some don't practice it, then their women only were liberated from that evil behaviour.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by AFvckingAlpha(m): 2:42pm On Aug 26, 2020
Dickeyrider:
Igbos are not tolerant yet they want biafra. I have never seen a tribe more confused

It is your father that is confused.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Nobody: 2:43pm On Aug 26, 2020
AFvckingAlpha:

It is your father that is confused.

If you make me angry i will hate igbos more angry
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by favor914: 2:44pm On Aug 26, 2020
chatinent:
No matter what is decided, a typical Igbo man will not regard it.
Prison awaits him.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by golddare: 2:44pm On Aug 26, 2020
rabzy:

This is not true, if the first son performs the burial rites , then he can inherit hereditary titles and the house where the father lived and died. If the man has no sons, then the eldest daughter inherits the house but not the title. The title goes to the next of kin of the man. Any other property would be shared amongst the children not male and female. Any child born out of wedlock who is not known in the household i.e whose mother did not cook for the man in the house is disinherited, but the son is brought into the house and the man affirms that he is his son, then he can get inheritance. You can also not disown a known son without performing some rites.

Now let's reason this together, if the first son is the last born then he takes over the house even if that's the only house. If the first son is the first born and he is not rich enough to do the burial alone he loses out. Its not only in the East that marginalisation of women is going on, its happening in Esan land too. I know its culture and it has caused a lot issues between families.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by hammer8: 2:45pm On Aug 26, 2020
favor914:
Prison awaits him.

I AM AN IGBO MAN, MY DAUGHTERS CANNOT INHERIT MY PROPERTY.

THEY WONT EVEN DARE, BECOS THEY ARE WELL CULTURED AND TRAINED TO KNOW THEIR PRIORITIES IN LIFE.

THAT IS NOT TO SAY, I WONT MAKE THEM A GIFT IN MY WILL.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by IVORY2009(m): 2:45pm On Aug 26, 2020
Dickeyrider:

No pls
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by AFvckingAlpha(m): 2:47pm On Aug 26, 2020
Dickeyrider:

Says a LovePeddler like you. If you like hate the Igbos the more, I do not fvcking care.

Grow the fvck up bitch, and go suck a dick.

Quit all these shenanigans.

Like who your hate help grin

You funny die grin

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by favor914: 2:48pm On Aug 26, 2020
hammer8:
THE AVERAGE IGBO MAN RELATIONSHIP WITH HIS DAUGHTER HAVE A CLEAR DIVIDE LINE.

DAUGHTERS ARE NEVER MISTAKEN FOR WIVES.

I WILL PAY YOUR SCHOOL FEES, GIVE YOU POCKET MONEY, FEED, HOUSE AND CLOTH YOU UNTIL U FIND THE LOVE OF YOUR LIFE.

MY PROPERTIES ARE FOR YOUR MOTHER AND MY WIFE.

WITH YOU HAPPILY MARRIED, WEN MY WIFE PASS, THEY GO TO MY SON, WITH THE EXEMPTION THAT I SPECIFICALLY GIFTED YOU MAYBE A HOUSE OR A CAR OR MONEY IN MY WILL.
What if the Son can’t be found, & is a Lunatic what happens? Let me guess the father’s brother will inherit the properties?
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Justpassingby45(m): 2:49pm On Aug 26, 2020
MISSCONGENIALITY:
One of my grand aunties had a will before she died. Her grown up son's refused to to follow the will because their mother shared property to allbher children both make and female. Note. Is was her property not thelat her husband left it for her. She worked for it herself.
It took 10yrs to settle the matter in court. People were staying free in the houses for all the 10yrs. These men saying women will to have a share in their mother's property didn't contribute to their mother's life or buriel. And they were not hungry men o. They had better property than what their mother left. The girls were the ones who took care of the woman.
They finally agreed as the women too refused to give up their own share.
Some people will still not accept their father's will if they feel it doesn't favour them.
If I have kids and they misbehave, I don't mind giving all my property to the criminal Federal government. Let them go and work for their own.
Then I better not to have a mother like you. Cox mother are the least to see their kids suffer

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by hammer8: 2:51pm On Aug 26, 2020
favor914:
What if the Son can’t be found, & is a Lunatic what happens? Let me guess the father’s brother will inherit the properties?

IF I HAVE NO SON, AND MY WIFE IS GONE, MY DAUGHTERS TAKE OVER EVERYTHING BUT NOT THE ANCESTRAL PROPERTIES LEFT TO ME BY MY FATHER.

THAT GOES TO MY BROTHER AND HIS SON.

THIS IS OUR CULTURE, EVERY IGBO PERSON UNDERSTANDS THIS.

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by omooba969(m): 2:52pm On Aug 26, 2020
hammer8:

IF ONLY U KNOW HOW STUPID U LOOK ON FP, U WONT JUMP INTO OTHER PEOPLE CULTURAL MATTER, LIKE DAT.

NO IGBO FAMILY WILL GIVE INHERITANCE TO THEIR DAUGHTER, SHE IS MEANT TO FIND A HUSBAND AND NOT STAY AND MARRY HER FATHER FOR INHERITANCE, WHICH BELONGS TO HER MOTHER.

IF THEIR MOTHER PASS, IT GOES TO THE SONS OF THE LAND.

I AM TALKING ABOUT ANCESTRAL LAND.

HOWEVER, MONEY AND OTHER STUFF, SHE CAN INHERIT.

Now, read the nonsense you typed up there and tell us if the Igbo girl would be happy with your submission or agree with it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (27) (Reply)

Meet Aare Boluwatife Akin-Olugbade: Owner Of 10 Rolls-Royces (PHOTOS) / Olori Badirat Adeyemi, Alaafin Of Oyo's Youngest Wife, Slays In New Photos / Prince Tsola Emiko To Succeed Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.