Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,579 members, 7,812,892 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:26 PM

Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos (63807 Views)

Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection / Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision / Samuel Adegbola: Supreme Court Dethrones First-Class Oyo Monarch, Eleruwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by LordOfTheGame: 1:09pm On Aug 26, 2020
Lols supreme court is just wasting its time because no Igbo man will regard this. A female child will only inherit her father's estate if she happens to be the only child of the man and also, if the father when alive willed some part or any of his properties to her. In a similar situation, the brothers may still decide to include or assign some part of any of the properties to their sisters.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by omooba969(m): 1:09pm On Aug 26, 2020
MrColdsweat:

You don't know your culture.

Yorubas bury their obas with 7 heads.

Provide me with evidence biko or do you expect readers to just swallow your gibberish?

Pheww, sad some ppl sef!
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by ojuu4u(m): 1:09pm On Aug 26, 2020
PrudencyFeats:

We talk so much about southern Nigeria customs not to supersed Nigerian constitution.

In the north, sharia laws supercedes the Nigerian construction, why

Where? I biliv you knw that if you leave in the north, no one can charge u to sharia court.

Meanwhile, its for your own good if you start admitting your wrongdoings and take responsibilities for your inadequacies. Rather than blaming others for ur mistakes.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by AmazonTopaz(f): 1:09pm On Aug 26, 2020
csamii:
This thread is an access to insult igbo people but guess what, we don't care what you people think. Customs and traditions reign supreme.
Custom.and tradition can never supercede the law

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by csamii: 1:09pm On Aug 26, 2020
AmazonTopaz:

Lol.Thanks for the advice.I prefer the igbo women yoruba men combination.

No one cares! If you like marry a hobbit. No igbo man will lose sleep over your choice.

5 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by toprealman: 1:09pm On Aug 26, 2020
BabaRamota1980:

We do not practice discrimination in my tribe.
So which tribe is that uncle?
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Archtype(m): 1:10pm On Aug 26, 2020
This judgement will definitely give room to more divorce cases since the lady knows that she still has an inheritance in her father's house so she can leave her matrimonial home anytime she wants just like people around the Southwest does

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Nonybb: 1:10pm On Aug 26, 2020
BabaRamota1980:
They want to rule Nigeria but in 2020 still treating women as second class citizens, denying women from inheritance. Very backward people. No Ibo will rule this country in 2023.

Idiotttttttt LIKE YOU. EZI BIDA
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by elisho: 1:10pm On Aug 26, 2020
weman oya e don happen water don pass gari
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by AsawanaDgreat: 1:10pm On Aug 26, 2020
I will finish reading this article is by weekend and comment by September.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by AmazonTopaz(f): 1:11pm On Aug 26, 2020
LordOfTheGame:
Lols supreme court is just wasting its time because no Igbo man will regard this. A female child will only inherit her father's estate if she happens to be the only child of the man and also, if the father when alive willed some part or any of his properties to her. In a similar situation, the brothers may still decide to include or assign some part of any of the properties to their sisters.
Oga speak for yourself abeg.
There is no need for regard the man just has to follow the law and include his daughters to avoid wahala if it is challenged in court.
So all these your excuses changes nothing women have a right to inheritance and cannot be denied them on basis of gender.
It has started happening in the igbo land you claim you know

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by MiaBeer(m): 1:11pm On Aug 26, 2020
shocked
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by BOFA2020: 1:11pm On Aug 26, 2020
They treat their women like owned properties but they will only see faults in other tribes while heir own house is on fire.
They have no respect for women. I once worked with an Igbo guy in the US and he hates taking orders from our boss who happened to be a woman.
Any idiot can give him orders as long as it's not coming from a woman. Can you imagine that.
Bunch of tribal and religious hypocrites,

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by csamii: 1:12pm On Aug 26, 2020
AmazonTopaz:

Custom.and tradition can never supercede the law

I don't know where you come from and I don't care but in my community, customs and traditions reign supreme.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by mejai(m): 1:12pm On Aug 26, 2020
All those against the judgement should get ready for jail

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Psoul(m): 1:12pm On Aug 26, 2020
If every community's traditions and cultures are to pass through the eyes of the law and constitution, almost every tradition/customs will be abolished.

It will be wickedness for Kingship to be inherited
It will be so bad ban women in participating in some certain culture as they have the right to join whatever they want
It will be bad to tell a woman to to see some certain masquerade or not to wear the masquerade regalia.
It will be wrong to tell people not to eat new yam until the elders perform the rituals associated to it.

So many things will be wrong in the eyes of the law.

It is those prohibitions that make culture and traditions what they are.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by AmazonTopaz(f): 1:14pm On Aug 26, 2020
csamii:

I don't know where you come from and I don't care but in my community, customs and traditions reign supreme.
Involve the law and the law will reign supreme nothing can ever change that.
The law remains supreme don't justify backwardness and tell us your tradition made it so.
It holds no water your community belongs to the government

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by VULCAN(m): 1:14pm On Aug 26, 2020
What took them so long?

A law that Moses voided in the wilderness.

Nigerian courts always known for being sluggish

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by BabaRamota1980: 1:14pm On Aug 26, 2020
ZZ22:
I won't be surprised if you have not step a foot in Igbo land but vomiting all these trash. You might even be talking from what you have watched in the movies and taking it for reality.
How do you chase someone away from the properties she has its papers intact or are you trying to tell me Igbos will their properties to their brothers instead of their wives.

The Fulani supreme court can't decide the way we will our properties here in the east.

Go to this link and educate yourself.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/27/africa/as-equals-nigeria-widow-rites-intl/index.html

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by AmazonTopaz(f): 1:14pm On Aug 26, 2020
csamii:

No one cares! If you like marry a hobbit. No igbo man will lose sleep over your choice.
The igbo men will keep getting rejected for their backwardness.
Keep crying

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Liposure: 1:14pm On Aug 26, 2020
Its high time we do away with some cultures and traditions. we are lagging behind

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by csamii: 1:17pm On Aug 26, 2020
AmazonTopaz:

The igbo men will keep getting rejected for their backwardness.
Keep crying

Are you Igbo?

Shiloh awaits you

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by AmazonTopaz(f): 1:17pm On Aug 26, 2020
Liposure:
does the law supersede traditional wedding
That one is customary and the people have chosen to see it as good.
But then in Nigeria when you marry under the law(registry)it is legal and that is the marriage recognised by the state.
They are the ones giving certificates traditional weddings don't give certificates and it is not recognised outside the immediate family.
To show you are truly married maybe when going abroad as a couple you show your certificate which the law gives

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by AmazonTopaz(f): 1:18pm On Aug 26, 2020
csamii:

Are you Igbo?

Shiloh awaits you
Very much igbo.

That shiloh talk is CRAP and does not affect or concern me go and feed that rubbish talk to someone else interested in hearing it

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by herich(m): 1:18pm On Aug 26, 2020
BabaRamota1980:

We do not practice discrimination in my tribe.
And they practice discrimination,
Is that why you're feeling so pained?
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Thastie(f): 1:18pm On Aug 26, 2020
Yeye tribe. They're always quick to insult the Hausas and Islam, yet these people are way better than them. Backward YEast.

4 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Xxxtacy: 1:19pm On Aug 26, 2020
[quote author=castrogee post=93230053]Make I book this place for righteousness89.

I know say Afonjas go come cry for this thread.

Why are you passing out excreta from your mouth , stop clout chasing because of nairaland likes
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by AmazonTopaz(f): 1:19pm On Aug 26, 2020
Liposure:
Its high time we do away with some cultures and traditions. Sincerely, we are lagging behind
Exactly but backward people are adamant to change

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by csamii: 1:19pm On Aug 26, 2020
AmazonTopaz:

Involve the law and the law will reign supreme nothing can ever change that.
The law remains supreme don't justify backwardness and tell us your tradition made it so.
It holds no water your community belongs to the government

In my community, we are just and learned. I don't know the cave you come from but don't equate the backwardness of your people to others.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by BabaRamota1980: 1:20pm On Aug 26, 2020
BOFA2020:
They treat their women like owned properties but they will only see faults in other tribes while heir own house is on fire.
They have no respect for women. I once worked with an Igbo guy in the US and he hates taking orders from our boss who happened to be a woman.
Any idiot can give him orders as long as it's not coming from a woman. Can you imagine that.
Bunch of tribal and religious hypocrites,
They dont value their girls at all, but like you said they will jump on Hausa case and demonize them on girl child abuse.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Nobody: 1:20pm On Aug 26, 2020
AmazonTopaz:

@bold,I am igbo and you are so right I cannot marry an Igbo man.I agree with all you have said.

Wow. smiley

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by PrudencyFeats: 1:20pm On Aug 26, 2020
ojuu4u:

Where? I biliv you knw that if you leave in the north, no one can charge u to sharia court.

Meanwhile, its for your own good if you start admitting your wrongdoings and take responsibilities for your inadequacies. Rather than blaming others for ur mistakes.

It is forbidden in the Nigerian constitution not to take alcoholic beverages at some locations?

Mind you, I never mentioned anything wrong with the judgement. Just the I want you to clarify why down in the south, our customs as being threatened as against sharia

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (27) (Reply)

Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) / Ooni Of Ife Performs Ritual Before Boarding Arik Airplane (video) / What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.