Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,298 members, 7,815,534 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:07 PM

My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family (1527 Views)

I’m Pregnant For My Sister's Brother-In-Law. I’m Scared To Tell My Sister / "My Igbo Wife Reported Me To Dubai Police Claiming Rape, I Was Jailed": Man Says / Lady Calls Out Igbo Father For Putting Her Husband In Debt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by 5050go: 11:45pm On Aug 26, 2020
Hi,

I'm distraught. My father refuses to tell me the names of his father and mother. I dont know my grandmother or grandfathers name and have never seen a picture of them. I find this state of being unnatural and it gives me stress.

Why won't he tell me? Sometimes, I think he is ashamed but I could be wrong.

He is from Imo state, Nkwerre
Re: My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by AmuDimpka: 2:45am On Aug 27, 2020
5050go:
Hi,

I'm distraught. My father refuses to tell me the names of his father and mother. I dont know my grandmother or grandfathers name and have never seen a picture of them. I find this state of being unnatural and it gives me stress.

stop being a kid

don't you have a surname?

use your surnames to know your village

go to nkweree...the king son is my friend...he would help

2 Likes

Re: My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by Twenty8: 6:45am On Aug 27, 2020
ya issa whiny whine lika biyatchwink
Re: My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by sisisioge: 6:54am On Aug 27, 2020
Hian! It is not by force! Dont go and open a can of worms o...hian, you are distraught! How lamee!

3 Likes

Re: My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by Saintmary(f): 8:37am On Aug 27, 2020
Your father is trying to protect you.
You will see wehn, if you pursue this.

2 Likes

Re: My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by Ajilla(m): 9:10am On Aug 27, 2020
Lol, u even know your dad?
My dear, he may be trying to protect you from things u shldnt know. U have a "father", move on!!!!
A lot of peeps don't even know their dad or where he is from
Re: My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by usj(m): 9:22am On Aug 27, 2020
Boy! Be careful what you wish for, but if it means so much to you then appeal to his inner sense of reasoning. Him not telling you should've made you realized that his is trying so hard to forget something about his family. Away Goodluck with your quest. Your mum can be of tremendous assistance, why don't you try asking her?

1 Like

Re: My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by mariahAngel(f): 9:32am On Aug 27, 2020
5050go:
Hi,

Could it be that he was banished from his land? Or that he's already dead? lipsrsealed these things happen you know...

You know what? Try to get to the very bottom of things by all means. A man needs to know where he came from.
You already know where he came from, all you need for your journey is your father's original surname and an old photo of him.

6 Likes

Re: My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by Dande55: 10:28am On Aug 27, 2020
5050go:
Hi,

He must have been banished for committing a crime.

4 Likes

Re: My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by Ajilla(m): 11:20am On Aug 27, 2020
An older man I was just talking to about ur predicament just said something to me that doesn't make any sense to me but might make sense to you or other nairalanders. He said, ur father might have died without fulfilling what he came to this life for, so he relocated to another place to start a family. That once a member/members of his family who knows of his death gets to find out abt him being alive. That's d end of Solomon Grundy. That he wldnt even allow them see him with their eyes or even say goodbye to u guys before vanishing

3 Likes

Re: My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by Ajilla(m): 11:21am On Aug 27, 2020
mariahAngel:

Could it be that he was banished from his land? Or that he's already dead? lipsrsealed these things happen you know...

You know what? Try to get to the very bottom of things by all means. A man needs to know where he came from.
You already know where he came from, all you need for your journey is your father's original surname and an old photo of him.
exactly what an old man just told me this morning

1 Like

Re: My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by ednut1(m): 11:35am On Aug 27, 2020
I dont know the names of my great grandparents so sad grin. Op seems you want to ve unfortunate ba.
Re: My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by merieam16(f): 11:42am On Aug 27, 2020
Mayb ur father reincarnated shocked
Re: My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by 5050go: 11:56am On Aug 27, 2020
Ajilla:
An older man I was just talking to about ur predicament just said something to me that doesn't make any sense to me but might make sense to you or other nairalanders. He said, ur father might have died without fulfilling what he came to this life for, so he relocated to another place to start a family. That once a member/members of his family who knows of his death gets to find out abt him being alive. That's d end of Solomon Grundy. That he wldnt even allow them see him with their eyes or even say goodbye to u guys before vanishing

Are you saying that he faked his death?
Re: My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by 5050go: 11:57am On Aug 27, 2020
Ajilla:
exactly what an old man just told me this morning

I will travel there and get to the bottom of things.
Re: My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by 5050go: 12:02pm On Aug 27, 2020
Twenty8:
ya issa whiny whine lika biyatchwink

Insulting me over the internet. You're a coward.

3 Likes

Re: My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by 5050go: 12:04pm On Aug 27, 2020
AmuDimpka:

stop being a kid

don't you have a surname?

use your surnames to know your village

go to nkweree...the king son is my friend...he would help

I'm not a kid. Im an American so I'm unfamiliar with Nigeria and traveling its parts.

But thank you, I will travel there and get to the bottom of things.

1 Like

Re: My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by Mindlog: 12:25pm On Aug 27, 2020
5050go:

I'm not a kid. Im an American so I'm unfamiliar with Nigeria and traveling its parts.

I advise you start with establishing contacts with Nkwerre Aborigines Union, USA (google it) and share your story with them and based on your surname, they would help trace your village.

1 Like

Re: My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by flyingdutchman(m): 2:10pm On Aug 27, 2020
His name is ANDY OKEKE. A former member of 'The Six'
Re: My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by AmuDimpka: 2:45pm On Aug 27, 2020
5050go:

oh. now I see...first thing,look for igbo association....you are Igbo first before Americans

you will get igbo association in USA then they will help you out

1 Like

Re: My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by 5050go: 3:15pm On Aug 27, 2020
AmuDimpka:

oh. now I see...first thing,look for igbo association....you are Igbo first before Americans

you will get igbo association in USA then they will help you out

Thank you, I will do just that.
Re: My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by mariahAngel(f): 4:43pm On Aug 27, 2020
5050go:

Thank you, I will do just that.

Beware of scammers and impersonators. sad
Re: My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by OscarJaden(m): 8:40pm On Aug 27, 2020
flyingdutchman:
don't tell me his "living in bondage"..lol
Re: My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by FaAbokiWithSuit(m): 1:20am On Aug 28, 2020
5050go:
Hi,

you can't be wiser than your father. Once you know for sure that he is ashamed about his history, you should know it's possible your grandfather was probably associated with crime.

Your grandfather could be a famous apprehend criminal and possibly had been killed. Your father is trying to protect you from a particular negative history.

Be wise
Re: My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by FaAbokiWithSuit(m): 1:24am On Aug 28, 2020
flyingdutchman:

shocked shocked fear catch me as I see that name
Re: My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by Nobody: 6:51am On Aug 28, 2020
5050go:

Try and remain an American, I guess that's what you dad wants you to be..

He doesn't see you as a nigerian..

1 Like

Re: My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by Haywhymido(m): 6:58am On Aug 28, 2020
You don chop belleful na, dey look for trouble up and down. You will soon see your ears.

3 Likes

Re: My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by Nobody: 1:54pm On Aug 28, 2020
This your curiosity, is called waka anyhow. And who waka anyhow, will see anyhow.

1 Like

Re: My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by Richy4(m): 4:21pm On Aug 28, 2020
You are matured now and u should act maturely.

Have u ever thought for once and consider all the motherless babies.. What they are when they grow up.. How they manage to integrate within the society...especially those ones that were not fortunate to be adopted..

who do they say their father/ mother was?.. Do u know how painful it might be for them not to tell a story about a father or mother to their kids?

I'm not saying your parents were from motherless homes but sometimes it is better to ignore certain things.

1 Like

Re: My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by 5050go: 4:18pm On Aug 29, 2020
I understand that there are people born less fortunate then me. I'm incredibly blessed and grateful. I still want to know who my paternal grandparents were.

I really don't think I'm asking for so much but I respect your opinion.

1 Like

Re: My Igbo Father Refuses To Tell Me About His Family by 5050go: 4:20pm On Aug 29, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Try and remain an American, I guess that's what you dad wants you to be..

He doesn't see you as a nigerian..

I'm not a Nigerian. I'm an American. I dont want to be a Nigerian. I want to know who my paternal grandparents are. I don't think I'm asking for a mountain but I respect your opinion.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Alleged Student Of Nekede Poly Runs Mad, Video / Best Birthday Gift For A Lady? / ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.