Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,747 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:14 PM

HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination (28374 Views)

UNIBEN Pharmacy Students Protest Industrial Action By Lecturers (photos) / 27 Months Salary Arrears: Osun Tertiary Institutions Embark On Industrial Action / SSANU, NASU, NAAT Suspend Industrial Action (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by NSK4U(m): 8:28pm On Aug 28, 2020
just upgrade your certificate if you want to enjoy what's meant for b.sc and stop arguing nonsense......

Right from Jamb and post Utme results, the difference is marked (even though at times it all boils down to opportunity and grace)

I knew this quiet early and had to leave poly after OND for another Jamb and fortunately became a UItes although not still in the same course I've been applying for all my early years as Jambite, now can introduce myself comfortably without the useless stigma.

Here in Uni, it's clear that most of them who even claim seniority in level due to the opportunity cannot engage some of us from the polytechnic in an academic discussion.

my advice again remains, if fate refuses you entrance to University after OND, complete hnd and try direct entry or any means possible even if changing to a less competitive course but please UPGRADE YOUR POLY CERTIFICATE FOR AS LONG AS YOU ARE IN NIGERIA. The premium on certificate is higher than competence and nobody is gonna remove the noise about dichotomy in it, that's our reality.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by adubiay: 8:28pm On Aug 28, 2020
saaphiere:
He wants to link up because of beauty. That means when beauty fades he's run. I'm not ready for that. Well, I appreciate the compliment.

Your beauty is the only thing available for him to see, he would be lying if he has say something else, I am sure you won't prefer a man that lie to you. I think u should only discard him if u aren't comfortable after 2 or 3 conversation/interaction. He's a gentle man I guess

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by AlexMahone: 8:28pm On Aug 28, 2020
saaphiere:
I am the one. And sorry, I'm not interested. Your reason for wanting to link up with me is so lame.
Bravo
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Nobody: 8:31pm On Aug 28, 2020
This is a longstanding war.
And the Government is author and finisher of the whole crises.
And as regards the unhealthy rivalry between HND and DEGREE, and differences that have been commented by Nigerian undergraduates and alumni of various institutions here.
This is my word, you are only judging based on the inadequacies of the government over the polytechnics like quality of lecturers, lack of funding etc.
Secondly, all the universities in Nigeria cannot accommodate all the applicants, so some will have to switch to polytechnics. Example, Imagine when 200k applied for a university that has the capacity and facility for just 7000.
Thirdly, as a result of lack of proper care and provisions of facilities for the schools by the government, quality of education is affected. And as claimed by someone that polytechnics are institutions for dull students, this is utterly wrong. The curriculum of both are almost the same. The differences are the measures put in place by the government.
There are many more like that, all stemmed from government's inability to meet up its mandate to provide excellent world of learning for its citizens.

You now remember my preface why I said the government is the author and finisher of the whole crises.
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by dangoteinlaw: 8:39pm On Aug 28, 2020
In this life just know yourself and i bet you won't bother reading the comments of some stupid so called university grads here. Some still with their parents, one shameless one in my hood always in a bet shop. He will die there, when men were studying engineering in poly u went for one useless unknown course one useless northern university and i am sure his comment is here already.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by NSK4U(m): 8:43pm On Aug 28, 2020
saaphiere:
I am the one. And sorry, I'm not interested. Your reason for wanting to link up with me is so lame.

you must learn how to decline requests without sounding too bossy, talk like a cultured young lady.

1 Like

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Junior66(m): 8:50pm On Aug 28, 2020
sbaks:
This you did to be accepted in the job society not that it was necessary (as per knowledge wise). Whenever you get to the field, you'll deliver and then it will look like "all thanks to UNN" where as you have that Polytechnic advantage which is what built you. Now tell me, what about the massive rest that didn't have the opportunity you have? This is what I'm saying. University system has lost it.
I get your point though
Says a poly graduate who was lectured by corps members with BSc and full time lecturers who graduated from the same universities he denigrates. Hahahaha

3 Likes

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Junior66(m): 8:55pm On Aug 28, 2020
ibuildstuff:

In United States, they don't know what hnd is, so if u present and hnd result they simply evaluate it, and equate it to a bsc because of the number of yrs.

So your hnd or bsc from Nigeria is thesame thing in the US.
HND is only equal to an associate degree. An associate degree is less than a full degree and also enjoys what you guys love to call 'discrimination' in Nigeria. Abeg no come here de lie for us.

3 Likes

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Reelafonja(m): 8:55pm On Aug 28, 2020
Queenlovely:
University cut off Mark is 180
polytechnic cut off Mark is 100

so how can you compare apples with orange

college of education is even worst,
their cut off Mark is 25.

I beg swerve let us hear better gist. even with the hnd what can you construct.

BSC is respected worldwide, who know hnd, very soon ond students will want to rub shoulders too.

mind you I am a graduate of Leeds University, we no be mate

team BSC hit love button, team hnd ffffuck off

aunty your mumu no small at all
u just jump in thread com dy spew rubbish.and e sure me die say na third class u carry comot school.
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by kingsvictor2: 8:56pm On Aug 28, 2020
sbaks:
So sad! TBH the students universities graduate these days are Nothing to write home about. All they are interested In is social media. University education has lost it's relevance in recent times and operate in "PAST GLORY". To my greatest shock, a lot of Polytechnic students have been delivering of late (and even college of health tech.). Very intelligent and serious minded people even in the field. I was made to understand that due to the "practical nature of the Polytechnic system" they get more serious and are exposed to a lot hence their ability to deliver.
As an employer of labour, I'd rather go for a Polytechnic graduate (who knows the job and need not be told what to do) than a university graduate who knows nothing. I'll not have to spend money on training them (Polytechnic graduates) as they are really no freshers and are exposed more in the job environment. Their SIWES (nd1), full IT (After ND which they naturally go look for full time jobs) gives them edge over university graduates. I must confess, they really deliver in the field (At least from all I've worked with TRUTH BE TOLD). IT SHOULD BE EQUATED
well, after d long epistle u typed, degree is degree and diploma is diploma. polytechnic students are simply those rejected by universities, very dull set of people. Jamb made it clear by giving low cut off mark for polytechnics so d unintelligent folks will be able to enter school. so neva compare d two, diploma is far way below degree. get d shit into ur skull

2 Likes

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Junior66(m): 8:57pm On Aug 28, 2020
SegFault:

Which dirty 168? Come on, commot for here. After una don settle finish una go come here dey look down on poly students. I am not a poly student but these university students dey vex person, after cheating your way through the system you come to feel boss. Nna ehm.
Yeah, because Poly graduates don't also cheat. They fell from Jupiter.

2 Likes

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Nobody: 8:57pm On Aug 28, 2020
Junior66:

Says a poly graduate who was lectured by corps members with BSc and full time lecturers who graduated from the same universities he denigrates. Hahahaha
When I was your age, I already had my masters. I'm not even a Polytechnic graduate. Kids everywhere. So easy to spot one. Poly graduates are better than your Nigerian (public) university graduates including you
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Nobody: 9:08pm On Aug 28, 2020
dangoteinlaw:
In this life just know yourself and i bet you won't bother reading the comments of some stupid so called university grads here. Some still with their parents, one shameless one in my hood always in a bet shop. He will die there, when men were studying engineering in poly u went for one useless unknown course one useless northern university and i am sure his comment is here already.
That's all they do. Bet shop, ass down, internet and slaying. Nothing up there. while the Polytechnic graduates are busy working or doing something on their own. Very hard working set of people. They seem more focused
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Nobody: 9:08pm On Aug 28, 2020
kingsvictor2:
well, after d long epistle u typed, degree is degree and diploma is diploma. polytechnic students are simply those rejected by universities, very dull set of people. Jamb made it clear by giving low cut off mark for polytechnics so d unintelligent folks will be able to enter school. so neva compare d two, diploma is far way below degree. get d shit into ur skull
I had 249 in first attempt in jamb but I could not gain admission into the university but I had to go to a polytechnic having realised my sponsor's year of retirement was near.
Be considerate when you talk. Polytechnic students are not dull students, they are either where they are because of lack of quality information or poor decisions.
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Adeniran906(m): 9:12pm On Aug 28, 2020
Queenlovely:
University cut off Mark is 180
polytechnic cut off Mark is 100

so how can you compare apples with orange

college of education is even worst,
their cut off Mark is 25.

I beg swerve let us hear better gist. even with the hnd what can you construct.

BSC is respected worldwide, who know hnd, very soon ond students will want to rub shoulders too.

mind you I am a graduate of Leeds University, we no be mate

team BSC hit love button, team hnd ffffuck off
most people ended in poly score 200 above,mine as a case scored 214 and end up in poly
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Nobody: 9:14pm On Aug 28, 2020
Adeniran906:
most people ended in poly score 200 above,mine as a case scored 214 and end up in poly
leave him. I also had 249 but ended up in a polytechnic

1 Like 1 Share

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Nobody: 9:17pm On Aug 28, 2020
eniolaamos7:

I had 249 in first attempt in jamb but I could not gain admission into the university but I had to go to a polytechnic having realised my sponsor's year of retirement is near.
Be considerate when you talk. Polytechnic students are not dull students, they are either where they are because of lack of quality information or poor decisions.
I'm even aware of nepotism sometimes in Nigerian universities. A lot of Polytechnic students don't have the connection they need to get to universities and being from less privileged homes, they opt for poly. When they get there, they're focused and embrace the "practical knowledge" which is what is needed in the field. The university folks on the other hand have the connect (even though unserious). Universities operate In past glory. So sad. It's out there! Employers say it! POLY GRADUATES THESE DAYS PERFORM BETTER. Btw what did you read?
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by webizone(m): 9:19pm On Aug 28, 2020
saaphiere:
He wants to link up because of beauty. That means when beauty fades he's run. I'm not ready for that. Well, I appreciate the compliment.
So what are you ready for?
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by feranmi76: 9:20pm On Aug 28, 2020
grin
sbaks:
What is this one saying? I SAID I HAVE BOTH AND BOTH HAVE BEEN WORKING. FOR THE PAST 10 YEARS, IVE BEEN RECRUITING BOTH. SO WHAT ARE YOU SAYING OGA. I currently have 2 first class graduates who are giving me headache. So shameful an IT student from a Polytechnic in Jos was who came and did simple stuffs/calculations these full-time new recruit were to do. What I heard is that they've not been taught. Till that boy left, I asked him to put them through cos I couldn't drive them considering the condition of this country. I promised myself, when that boy finishes his hnd, I'll employ him FULL TIME and make him head a new and sensitive unit I'm thinking of creating. So pathetic!

Lastly See one thing i want you to know is that your stand about this matter is very wrong, you need to readjust your angle of viewing point, your statistics on this matter is in accurate enough to give you a right answer that you can stand on. Taking a scenario of two degree and ND I. T student or 8 years recruitment experience isn't the right stat to judge or draw conclusion.
I've met Degree holder in life that are professional in their field and vice versa, I've met HND holders too that are professional in their field and vice versa. So as a recruiter I believe you should know about self development which doesn't have anything to do which educational background.
Taking this your own personal experience to judge this national issue is not correct. I want you to change your view.
Yes you are correct if you say University educational system is in mess, but you should also know that polytechnics in Nigeria these days is also out of course (even worse), talk more of other levels of higher institutions.
The main problem is the national educational system that is affecting all the institutions, not just a category of academy institute.
I still stand on my point that each has different ROLES which can't make them to be equal.

You know, it will be funny for you to know the kind of person you are chatting sha. grin
sbaks:
What is this one saying? I SAID I HAVE BOTH AND BOTH HAVE BEEN WORKING. FOR THE PAST 10 YEARS, IVE BEEN RECRUITING BOTH. SO WHAT ARE YOU SAYING OGA. I currently have 2 first class graduates who are giving me headache. So shameful an IT student from a Polytechnic in Jos was who came and did simple stuffs/calculations these full-time new recruit were to do. What I heard is that they've not been taught. Till that boy left, I asked him to put them through cos I couldn't drive them considering the condition of this country. I promised myself, when that boy finishes his hnd, I'll employ him FULL TIME and make him head a new and sensitive unit I'm thinking of creating. So pathetic!

Sbaks, Lastly See one thing i want you to know is that your stand about this matter is very wrong, you need to readjust your angle of viewing point, your statistics on this matter is in accurate enough to give you a right answer that you can stand on. Taking a scenario of two degree and ND I. T student or 8 years recruitment experience isn't the right stat to judge or draw conclusion.
I've met Degree holder in life that are professional in their field and vice versa, I've met HND holders too that are professional in their field and vice versa. So as a recruiter I believe you should know about self development which doesn't have anything to do which educational background.
Taking this your own personal experience to judge this national issue is not correct. I want you to change your view.
Yes you are correct if you say University educational system is in mess, but you should also know that polytechnics in Nigeria these days is also out of course (even worse), talk more of other levels of higher institutions.
The main problem is the national educational system that is affecting all the institutions, not just a category of academy institute.
I still stand on my point that each has different ROLES which can't make them to be equal.

You know, it will be funny for you to know the kind of person you are chatting sha.

1 Like

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Nobody: 9:23pm On Aug 28, 2020
sbaks:
I'm even aware of nepotism sometimes in Nigerian universities. A lot of Polytechnic students don't have the connection they need to get to universities and being from less privileged homes, they opt for poly. When they get there, they're focused and embrace the "practical knowledge" which is what is needed in the field. The university folks on the other hand have the connect (even though unserious). Universities operate In past glory. So sad. It's out there! Employers say it! POLY GRADUATES THESE DAYS PERFORM BETTER. Btw what did you read?
ND ACCOUNTANCY

1 Like

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by tobillionaire(m): 9:24pm On Aug 28, 2020
Adeniran906:
he knows nothing, I settled fr a polytechnic with 222... Go to yabatech and interview just 10 full time students, ask fr their jamb scores and you'll be amazed (a good number of them denied admission by unilag)
Fola adeola (the CEO of Gtb) attained just OND from yabatech but today, he has masters degree holders working under him.
Moreover, some universities also set their jamb cut off at 160 these days, and for those saying polytechnics accept 3 credits in o lvl fr admission, you must be high on water. It is five credits which must include English and maths

1 Like 1 Share

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Junior66(m): 9:29pm On Aug 28, 2020
sbaks:
When I was your age, I already had my masters. I'm not even a Polytechnic graduate. Kids everywhere. So easy to spot one. Poly graduates are better than your Nigerian (public) university graduates including you
Mtcheeew. After marking masters exams scripts of some of your poly lecturers I don't think I should be arguing with you. If polytechnics are so good why do they employ BSc holders and why do they lecturers process for masters and PhD degrees?
There was this HOD of a department in a poly in Plateau State begging me to help upgrade his scores the other time. Hahahaha

2 Likes

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Jeetkool(m): 9:33pm On Aug 28, 2020
feranmi76:

Wow... I now understand you, but let me enlighten you a little.
The reason why University and HND certificate can't be equal is because their STANDARD is different, the INTENT of creating them is different from each other, their CONTENTS are different, their PROCESS is different and these make their ROLES to be different in labor market or field.
For your own organization, the problem is that because you didn't know about the explanation I gave above, you put the two incompatible products together and expect them to deliver the same thing, NO. Understand their roles and place them therein and see the difference. We are talking about analysis and research work.

University engineering student is AN ENGINEER on field, while HND engineering student is A TECHNOLOGIST on field.
So what is the different between Engineer and Technologist.
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Nobody: 9:34pm On Aug 28, 2020
Junior66:

Mtcheeew. After marking masters exams scripts of some of your poly lecturers I don't think I should be arguing with you. If polytechnics are so good why do they employ BSc holders and why do they lecturers process for masters and PhD degrees?
There was this HOD of a department in a poly in Plateau State begging me to help upgrade his scores the other time. Hahahaha
And I know of an associate professor who too is a pure dullard. Well as regards the bolded is the reason why I said you are a kid. You see, that's my problem with NIGERIAN (public) university graduates "LACK OF COMPREHENSION". What's the subject of discuss? So unintelligent! This is a public university graduate for real.
BTW your English is poor. That I blame on you personally.
And you say you mark masters degree papers? God! This nation is headed for the rocks

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by tobillionaire(m): 9:41pm On Aug 28, 2020
Junior66:

their lab technologists/ technicians are poly graduates, the lecturers are university graduates because they have masters/phd. If they have only polytechnic graduates as lecturers you'd still complain.
Some polytechnics also give their best graduating student of the dept every year the option of staying as a lecturer/technologist in the dept.
Always saying they're not taught by a professor as if the ones taught by professors here in Nigeria can produce ordinary matches
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Nobody: 9:45pm On Aug 28, 2020
Truvel:
Are U Not An Ijaw Lady?
Nah
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Nobody: 9:49pm On Aug 28, 2020
tobillionaire:
their lab technologists/ technicians are poly graduates, the lecturers are university graduates because they have masters/phd. If they have only polytechnic graduates as lecturers you'd still complain.
Some polytechnics also give their best graduating student of the dept every year the option of staying as a lecturer/technologist in the dept.
Always saying they're not taught by a professor as if the ones taught by professors here in Nigeria can produce ordinary matches
Didn't you observe his poor written English? Though that I blame on him personally. Shows how serious of an individual he is. University system is decayed please. And mind you, "he marks masters degree papers" SMH
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by horlakunle4God(m): 9:51pm On Aug 28, 2020
Polytechnics or University, both are good but then University is still at the highest cadre, in the government sector , polytechnics graduate can never be an officer , unless wen spicy with some professional course and pgd ...
Both are good one just need to spicy what he acquired either poly or uni.
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Nobody: 9:57pm On Aug 28, 2020
saaphiere:
Nah
Oh, I Thought U Are, All Rice.
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Athemisia: 10:18pm On Aug 28, 2020
kelvinunilag:
Do you know the rigorous stress bsc holder have to go through to be admitted in the university? After you score 168 in jamb you are hoping to be admitted into a university, seems you guys are sick, you deserve the HND, HND is for people who perform poorly in jamb, but the truth is that the HND holder ends up becoming academically sound, honestly, I envy them when dey come to unilag dli to run direct entry, they are so good.
Point of correction— HND is not for people who perform poorly in jamb... A lot of people made it pass the 200 cut off but couldn't get through to the universities due to one issue or the other... Mine was because of my catchment area after scoring 260 in jamb and 74/100 in post utme...
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by afonjabreed(m): 10:19pm On Aug 28, 2020
Myketuale:

Bro you are right.
One of my friend who attends a polytechnic told me of how they would all gather money to fuel the school generator in order to carry out practical.
And the funny thing is that most of their school fees is too exorbitant.
Don't be deceived a poly that can run a stable electricity is not fit to be rated among the best.

I'm a poly student and I can bodly tell you my school runs 24 hours power supply, unless something came up which only happens maybe five times in a month
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Athemisia: 10:20pm On Aug 28, 2020
horlakunle4God:
Polytechnics or University, both are good but then University is still at the highest cadre, in the government sector , polytechnics graduate can never be an officer , unless wen spicy with some professional course and pgd ...
Both are good one just need to spicy what he acquired either poly or uni.
I think it's high time the government scrap off HND and convert polytechnics to universities that can also award BSC

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Police Uncover Body Of Paul Erie, AAU Abducted Lecturer / 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA / Cancellation Of 2nd Choice Option In JAMB UTME 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.