Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,041 members, 7,835,506 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:01 AM

HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination (28415 Views)

UNIBEN Pharmacy Students Protest Industrial Action By Lecturers (photos) / 27 Months Salary Arrears: Osun Tertiary Institutions Embark On Industrial Action / SSANU, NASU, NAAT Suspend Industrial Action (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by drLammy(m): 6:01pm On Aug 28, 2020
If this guys are truly serious they had rather start their agitation from UTME cut-off marks whereby
a polytechnic aspirant is expected to score lower than a Uni

You can't eat your cake and have it...Shikena

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by terens: 6:03pm On Aug 28, 2020
My advice to pple seeing themselves being discriminated is that JUST SAVE MONEY after graduation and attend a highly recognized school.

For me, after graduation I splashed money on getting a better school and organization name on my CV

1- Harvard business school
2- World Bank Group certification program

Companies don’t call me for interview they asked me “how much salary do you want?
Before inviting me over.

Do whatever it takes to get a school name among the top 10 in the world, and stop looking at Nigeria ratings.

A friend of my spent 7 million to attend a pilot school in South Africa.

A guy who works in chevron splash 5 million to attend Oxford UNi.

This is after graduation.

I did it, you can too...

Make sure you stop nonsense...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by femi4: 6:03pm On Aug 28, 2020
Blame yourself for failing Jamb
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by drLammy(m): 6:04pm On Aug 28, 2020
sbaks:
6 months. I employ both in my office so don't argue. My colleagues have attested same. Don't argue. No business man wants to waste money on trash. A lot of university students lack a lot and we don't have time for that.

Incase you don't know..
You can never compare a B.tech graduate with HND graduate

1 Like

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Waksdabos(m): 6:05pm On Aug 28, 2020
HND or B.sc, what impact, I mean feasible and effective impact has holders of these qualifications had on our Nigeria society? NOTHING! At this contemporary age, look at what we are still making arguement over. People are discovering new planet in space for Christ sake. Who do us this.
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by fabienjoe: 6:10pm On Aug 28, 2020
saaphiere:
I am the one. And sorry, I'm not interested. Your reason for wanting to link up with me is so lame.

Funny reply, beautiful one..what's lame about his effusive admiration of your beautiful looks? You may want to oblige him...who knows, he may have pure intentions..I'll always advise caution, though..

1 Like

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Nobody: 6:15pm On Aug 28, 2020
timmykaydude:
stop arguing with him,he is a polytechnic graduate.

I’m not arguing with him..... someone needs to explain that a diploma and a bachelors are two different things......
just becos the goverment allowed diploma holders the right to go for NYSC doesn’t automatically make the two the same....

When will this cry stop...... the best thing goverment should do is covert all polytechnics to universities and upgrade their number of units, course content and research theme...let’s kukuma know Nigeria doesn’t have diploma holders again..

All this protest won’t work..

1 Like

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by highness25(m): 6:17pm On Aug 28, 2020
Islie:

DAILY TRUST

The lives of HND graduates matter!

1 Like

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by edoairways: 6:24pm On Aug 28, 2020
sbaks:
So sad! TBH the students universities graduate these days are Nothing to write home about. All they are interested In is social media. University education has lost it's relevance in recent times and operate in "PAST GLORY". To my greatest shock, a lot of Polytechnic students have been delivering of late (and even college of health tech.). Very intelligent and serious minded people even in the field. I was made to understand that due to the "practical nature of the Polytechnic system" they get more serious and are exposed to a lot hence their ability to deliver.
As an employer of labour, I'd rather go for a Polytechnic graduate (who knows the job and need not be told what to do) than a university graduate who knows nothing. I'll not have to spend money on training them (Polytechnic graduates) as they are really no freshers and are exposed more in the job environment. Their SIWES (nd1), full IT (After ND which they naturally go look for full time jobs) gives them edge over university graduates. I must confess, they really deliver in the field (At least from all I've worked with TRUTH BE TOLD). IT SHOULD BE EQUATED
When will this stereotype about overhyped poly graduate end, do you realize that the two aren't the same? Curriculum and otherwise ,they are not on the same level, one is practically oriented while the other is theoretical with little practicals

1 Like

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Chukwudi4naija(m): 6:27pm On Aug 28, 2020
GboyegaD:

Why try to insult their intelligence? Are admissions lists only based on merit?

Want it on this Nairaland we read about students who pay to get good grades in our institutions of learning? These talks are not worth our time and each individual should work on him(her)self until we attain the level of change we desire.
With this discrimination, is it not better one struggles so hard to get an admission on merit, if one does not want to compromise moral or doesn't have money/connection to achieve it? There is merit list in every university and I was a beneficiary after two years attempt. The wait is really worth it instead of fighting seemingly unachievable cause. Go to most Banks in Nigeria and see the real colour of discrimination.

1 Like

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by bootycapon(m): 6:30pm On Aug 28, 2020
It will come to halt in no time. Ministry of interior will have no choice than to end this foolish, exploitative and illogical dichotomy that seeks to belittle a people and make them subservient to their peers.
How on earth would a policy born out of vindictive tendency bring success to a Nation. The dichotomy is not only counter productive, it's inhuman and demeaning to people who have prospect of adding value to the working of a state.
Nigeria will not make any meaningful progress until these assets are given the desired leverages. Graduates of both institutions should be partners in progress and not rivals.
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by TruthinAction: 6:31pm On Aug 28, 2020
kheny12:
HND and BSC are the same both four years. so why are they discriminating

They are never the same.

1. The entry qualification into polytechnic is lower than that of University both in the number of credits you have in your school cert and cut off in jamb.

2. The scheme of work is never the same thing for most professional courses like Engineering. The two years spent in OND is equivalent to the first year in the University. The course content is almost the same. Then the polytechnic spends two added year to get his HND while the University student spend additional four years to get his BSc or B. Eng

So both certificate can never be put at the same level. But for those who have done their PGD and Masters, such discrimination should be removed as the master degree covers them.

3 Likes

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Nobody: 6:34pm On Aug 28, 2020
drLammy:

Incase you don't know..
You can never compare a B.tech graduate with HND graduate
They are all b.tech graduates. From federal universities. They perform lower than a state poly graduate in my office. So sad. They are 2.1 graduates to be precised (2 first class)
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by NigeriaB(m): 6:36pm On Aug 28, 2020
I don't know why o..but I observe and feel that B.sc holders are more exposed than HND holders. Think am make you see..

3 Likes

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Nobody: 6:37pm On Aug 28, 2020
Waksdabos:
HND or B.sc, what impact, I mean feasible and effective impact has holders of these qualifications had on our Nigeria society? NOTHING! At this contemporary age, look at what we are still making arguement over. People are discovering new planet in space for Christ sake. Who do us this.
The thing tire person. People like Leonardo DaVinci or Michael Faraday wey no go school nkor.
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Nobody: 6:37pm On Aug 28, 2020
Judolisco:
not that good, I served with some of them, I was so disappointed... The ones I sch with ended up with first class though... But d guy's I served with that had Hnd damn bro... I think most polytechnics don't have profs, and they pay for so many things even final year project
Exactly
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Nobody: 6:39pm On Aug 28, 2020
feranmi76:

Wow... I now understand you, but let me enlighten you a little.
The reason why University and HND certificate can't be equal is because their STANDARD is different, the INTENT of creating them is different from each other, their CONTENTS are different, their PROCESS is different and these make their ROLES to be different in labor market or field.
For your own organization, the problem is that because you didn't know about the explanation I gave above, you put the two incompatible products together and expect them to deliver the same thing, NO. Understand their roles and place them therein and see the difference. We are talking about analysis and research work.

University engineering student is AN ENGINEER on field, while HND engineering student is A TECHNOLOGIST on field.
What are you saying? Are you justifying incompetence? Wetin dis one dey talk?
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by maxzimo: 6:40pm On Aug 28, 2020
In this life the earlier we are able to accept who we are and what we have the better. The day you start seeing yourself as inferior is the beginning of dissatisfaction in what you do. BSC and HND graduates are each good in their little roles...one can't do without the other. Someone once told me that HND holders are not paid to think, i was a bit demoralized but i felt it was just an opinion. The best Solutions are actually gotten from the bottom line staffs.

I am an HND graduate and to the Glory of God, i don’t regret it. Most HND holders display frustration due to what is found in the work space. The solution is to have parallel career ladders wherein one can grow in similar pace as the other but having totally different portfolios. Ideally one would say that BSC holders are always better but there are numerous HND graduates who are doing far better.

What matters is what you do with your monthly pay!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by bootycapon(m): 6:40pm On Aug 28, 2020
What trash are you saying. You are even numbering an illogical submission. Which University do you attend please.

They are never the same.

1. The entry qualification into polytechnic is lower than that of University both in the number of credits you have in your school cert and cut off in jamb.

2. The scheme of work is never the same thing for most professional courses like Engineering. The two years spent in OND is equivalent to the first year in the University. The course content is almost the same. Then the polytechnic spends two added year to get his HND while the University student spend additional four years to get his BSc or B. Eng

So both certificate can never be put at the same level. But for those who have done their PGD and Masters, such discrimination should be removed as the master degree covers them. [/quote]
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Nobody: 6:41pm On Aug 28, 2020
Feranmi76 engineer or technician, that one na title. DELIVER AND LET ME MAKE PROFIT. That's why you went to school to be SCHOOLED on how to deliver. You wrote off point please. I've noticed this for the past 8-10 years of my recruitments. Abeg shift
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Proffwhyhurry12(m): 6:44pm On Aug 28, 2020
Morrison91:

Mugu.... Be fooling yourself
I'm HND in civil Engineering.with a Destinction. .. And I can't even count the number of university Engineering graduades I have taught practically, I don't just want to mention the names of their Big universities
If you want to know how useless your distinction is just apply to university as lecturer even after your PhD.

Besides it is distinction and not destinction.
Or what kind of English is this� I'M HND IN CIVIL ENGINEERING.WITH A DESTINCTION.....

Before you throw jab, i attended both Polytechnic and university. Though ND and run away to university, it is incomparable incase you care to listen. Alhamdulillah I'm an M.Sc. holder today

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Nobody: 6:47pm On Aug 28, 2020
fabienjoe:

Funny reply, beautiful one..what's lame about his effusive admiration of your beautiful looks? You may want to oblige him...who knows, he may have pure intentions..I'll always advise caution, though..
He wants to link up because of beauty. That means when beauty fades he's run. I'm not ready for that. Well, I appreciate the compliment.
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by kuuljay(m): 6:50pm On Aug 28, 2020
salbis:
They even have an association. Funny how people are always quick at pointing out practical aspect of HND holders, as if B.Sc holders don't do practicals too. Most of these HND holders would have opted for university if they have had the opportunity.
ability not opportunity.no Nigerian student willingly choose polytechnic as first choice
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Nobody: 6:55pm On Aug 28, 2020
Polytechnics graduates are always crying fowl, go to university and save yourself the stress.
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by nkakp(m): 7:01pm On Aug 28, 2020
SURE FOUNDATION POLYTECHNIC Ikot Akai, Ukanafun L. G. A, Akwa Ibom state.

A private polytechnic with state of the art equipments,labs and classrooms.

2020/2021 Academic Session! Admission! Admission!! Admission!!!!

THE FOLLOWING COURSES BELOW ARE AVAILABLE:

- Accounting
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Science
- Public Administration
- Electrical/Electronics Engineering
- Mass communication
- Business Administration
- Science Laboratory Technology
- Estate Management
- Quantity Surveying
- Office Technology
- Building Technology
- Architecture
- Agricultural Technology
- Land Surveying

Interested students should obtain application form from the admission's office or call the following number 09099213377, 08036427254!!!!

It is now your turn to have a qualitative polytechnic education!

Tuition Fees are Affordable with a standardized laboratories, workshop and well furnished & Secured hostels!!!!!

Get Registered.

visit our website, www.sfp.edu.ng

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Xscape1993(m): 7:03pm On Aug 28, 2020
Islie:

DAILY TRUST
When will our nation do the right thing? Can we just think about development instead discrimination? Is it now a crime to go to polytechnic?
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by feranmi76: 7:04pm On Aug 28, 2020
sbaks:
Feranmi76 engineer or technician, that one na title. DELIVER AND LET ME MAKE PROFIT. That's why you went to school to be SCHOOLED on how to deliver. You wrote off point please. I've noticed this for the past 8-10 years of my recruitments. Abeg shift

Then you get it wrong here and you need to step up in your research. BTW, what's the name of your organization and what your area of specialization, maybe I should just give you one university I. T student so that you will understand.
I'm not talking about discrimination here, but I'm telling you that their role is different, thy they aren't equal. If I give your polytechnic I. T student a role of university student a bet with you that he/she will find it hard to comprehend at that instance. And if you don't agree, send one if them to Lagos here, electrical engineering to be precised.
Thanks

2 Likes

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by bootycapon(m): 7:04pm On Aug 28, 2020
What most of you here are missing is the level of damage this discrimination has done to the development of this nation and most especially to individuals who now go to any extent to lay hands on BSC certificate. If you work in public service you may understand what am saying. Because of the undue and undeserved importance attached to this certificate, we now have undeserved people sitting in position of authority with absolutely nothing to offer. I once asked a new intake to write original copy received by me and he was fidgeting. He couldn't write that. Meanwhile, he flaunts bsc and by that he will be placed on level 8 above a sound mind on level 9 with HND. It's this barbaric policy that have twisted facts of mathematics by asserting that 8 is bigger than 10.
It's this anti productive policy that posits that knowledge is nothing but certificate is everything.
It's this slave driving policy that seeks to downplay fairness and detest giving level playing ground to people on the same academic pedestal that they may prove their worth.
Who is afraid of holders of HND?
It's this illogical policy that will subject both sides to the same exams and turn around to advance BSC holders to the next level of rank while their HND counterparts are held down for another 365 days.
If with all these dehumanizing conditions, holders of HND still stands tall, please respect them. They are Golden. They have passed and are still passing through the furnace to stand out as refined individuals in the society.

1 Like

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Arrowss(m): 7:06pm On Aug 28, 2020
Why are ppl saying Bsc in place of degree? Just like saying science student in place of Olevel, Substandard students everywhere!
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Nobody: 7:06pm On Aug 28, 2020
mydivinely:
When i discover this i left polytechnic after my ND, got direct entry. There is this notion that Polytechnic Graduates are the best and University just name Bros who told U as per hierarchy university is placed above polytechnic , B.sc Above Hnd, however, the facts that some polytechnic graduates are good, doesnt mean University Graduates are dull, at least i tasted both,
Even North West Fuel Station doesnt accept polytechnic graduate for pump Attendance( i mean even to sell fuel, There consider if at all they want to , take those with Distinction and upper Credits from poly) do ur research .....
am not supporting the way Polytechnic Graduate are treated but let the truth be the truth.
JESUS! shocked It's bad to lie on social media Especially where you know there are thousands reading who know the truth. Honestly soooo bad. North west? God have mercy! You are such a pathetic liar. I know 2 managers in North West region in the oil sector poly graduates ( Both with masters. one with masters business management). Fuel attendants are ND holders. Don't argue foolishly. I recruit and got colleagues and friends who do same. I've got friends who own some filling stations too. These kids just spread fake stories on social media.
North West? Kaduna, Niger, sokoto, Kano, jigawa, katsina, zamfara, kebbi? These are my zones and I tour them "often" YOU ARE SUCH A PATHETIC LIAR
Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by IncredibleWrite: 7:10pm On Aug 28, 2020
sbaks:
He's forgetting the "nepotism" involved in admission hence where you see admission is where you go. You mustn't be bright to attend a university. Just have the connect. There are people with very high jamb score who couldn't afford UNIVERSITY cos of nepotism hence saw Polytechnic and went. He's so uninformed
I can see how you are running from pillar to post trying to sell the narrative that the Polytechnic is not only equal but better than Universities. This is nothing but self-delusion!

Be sincere to yourself, if you had both opportunities on a platter; which would you go for?

I know there are brilliant and dumb people in both institutions, but you certainly can't compare them in proportion.

The University standard is higher. The infrastructures are better equipped. The entry qualifications aren't the same. And you want them to be equal?

It is good that there are some Poly graduates out there doing well for themselves, but you will be making a joke of yourself by trying to sell the narrative that they are equal or even better than Universities! Not even in the next 1000 years...

1 Like

Re: HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination by Boscolo: 7:12pm On Aug 28, 2020
ibuildstuff:

In United States, they don't know what hnd is, so if u present and hnd result they simply evaluate it, and equate it to a bsc because of the number of yrs.

So your hnd or bsc from Nigeria is thesame thing in the US.

The discrimination is because we have poor leadership that are just one way traffic. Just to let you know if your HND is evaluated in the US/Canada it is equivalent to a degree. The reason is because in these countries and most countries outside Nigeria/Africa, they use the number of credit that you have taken to award a degree. e.g to obtain a degree you must have take 360 credit load. So, if they calculate your credit load from ND1 - HND2 is about 390 credit load(got this from a friend that used his HND for masters program in Canada). Nigeria university (correct me if I am wrong, but I am sure) take 120 credit (get your transcript and add all your credit load)load to obtain a degree.

This tells you that the Poly guys take more credit load than their university peers, yet they are discriminated. You can see it when most HND guys go for the PGD program 80% of the courses are repetition of what they did in poly (HND) i.e if they continue with what they studied at the Poly.

I think, if we want to move our education system forward, we need to copy the Finish system of Education. In Finland they have the Polytechnic system (also known as University of applied Sciences) and they have a conventional University. The Polytechnic system runs Degree and Masters only, while the conventional Universities run Degree, Masters and PhD. Degree holders from the Polytechnic can use their degree to apply either for a masters or PhD in a conventional universities.

The truth is that I really don't see the reason for the discrimination, to be honest. Some of the products from both systems are half baked, and only few are serious and brilliant. Discrimination like this kills some ideas. for example Imagine someone with good potential to come up with a grand breaking invention, and such person is being discriminated because he has HND. The person will lose, the country will suffer and we all remain stagnant.

My own Opinion is that , there is no reason for the discrimination, because you have phD holders lecturing in the Universities /Polytechnics. Likewise Masters degree holders lecturing in both institutions. I don't need to be taught by a professor to get a first degree, if the person to teach me has a PhD, that is it, because PhD is the highest qualification anybody can hold.

So , the discrimination is not necessary.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The State Of University Of Abuja's Hostel Toilet / What Is The Difference Between OND And ND? / Cancellation Of 2nd Choice Option In JAMB UTME 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.