Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,258 members, 7,815,400 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion (7638 Views)

Cooking Without Sweating / Noodle Lovers - Bad Way Of Cooking Noodles! / How Do You Get Rid Of Onion Smells From Your Breath? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by Beync(f): 9:35pm On Feb 21, 2011
There is time and season for everything food.
this is not the season for onions, its natural scarcity.

U can use carrot instead grin there is carrot every where
The season is favorabe for carrot not onions
Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by koolchicco: 10:17pm On Feb 21, 2011
vincent_09:

Onion is now expensive than fish/meat. Those days u eat meat/fish last but this days u eat onion last because its expensive.
LMAO. grin grin Na so the thing scarce reach?www.nairaland.com/attachments/378345_LMSAO_gifcc08743add65da1a3fab01ae874d7bfa
Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by amor4ce(m): 10:39pm On Feb 21, 2011
Not to worry my fellow onioners, I just may just have found the solution to this culinary quagmire - TREAT THE ONIONLESS DISHES LIKE A PLACEBO TO GET THE ONION PLACEBO EFFECT wink.
Latest findings seem to show that "a patient's belief that a drug (will or) will not work can become a self fulfilling prophecy, according to researchers" (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12480310). In other words, just pretend that the dishes have been prepared with onions and expect (or have faith) that it will taste like. Voilà! grin

Below is an abstract of the paper referred to above.

http://stm.sciencemag.org/content/3/70/70ra14.abstract
DRUG EFFICACY
The Effect of Treatment Expectation on Drug Efficacy: Imaging the Analgesic Benefit of the Opioid Remifentanil

ABSTRACT

Evidence from behavioral and self-reported data suggests that the patients’ beliefs and expectations can shape both therapeutic and adverse effects of any given drug. We investigated how divergent expectancies alter the analgesic efficacy of a potent opioid in healthy volunteers by using brain imaging. The effect of a fixed concentration of the μ-opioid agonist remifentanil on constant heat pain was assessed under three experimental conditions using a within-subject design: with no expectation of analgesia, with expectancy of a positive analgesic effect, and with negative expectancy of analgesia (that is, expectation of hyperalgesia or exacerbation of pain). We used functional magnetic resonance imaging to record brain activity to corroborate the effects of expectations on the analgesic efficacy of the opioid and to elucidate the underlying neural mechanisms. Positive treatment expectancy substantially enhanced (doubled) the analgesic benefit of remifentanil. In contrast, negative treatment expectancy abolished remifentanil analgesia. These subjective effects were substantiated by significant changes in the neural activity in brain regions involved with the coding of pain intensity. The positive expectancy effects were associated with activity in the endogenous pain modulatory system, and the negative expectancy effects with activity in the hippocampus. On the basis of subjective and objective evidence, we contend that an individual’s expectation of a drug’s effect critically influences its therapeutic efficacy and that regulatory brain mechanisms differ as a function of expectancy. We propose that it may be necessary to integrate patients’ beliefs and expectations into drug treatment regimes alongside traditional considerations in order to optimize treatment outcomes.
Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by bigbish: 11:04pm On Feb 21, 2011
sokoto state is d highest producer of onions in nigeria and d flood that happened in that area during the d last raining season is d sole cause of what we are experiencing today. d dam dat collapsed wash away most of d onion in that area but ppl are just castigating northerners.
just think about it , why is dat d price of tomato and pepper are not high?
pls stop dis baseless and tribal accusations.
Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by Jenifa1: 11:18pm On Feb 21, 2011
why not just grow some in ur backyard? lol
Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by uchdazzle: 8:37am On Feb 22, 2011
cant the senate and house of reps discuss about this, or is it not worth discussing afterall this is a national problem
Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by Brite02(m): 10:10am On Feb 22, 2011
uchdazzle:

cant the senate and house of reps discuss about this, or is it not worth discussing afterall this is a national problem
Wenn Oil is d Order of d day. . Do u fink dey may stil care?
Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by Nixo: 11:39am On Feb 22, 2011
The Northerners are claiming that immense floods has dealt a great blowto the cultivativation of Onions this year and that is the real reason for the high prices of Onions this year. Hope the case improves cos we need the onions in our foods and sure on our SUYA as well grin grin grin, LOl!!!
Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by Ndygold(f): 2:10pm On Feb 22, 2011
intresting smiley.i hate onion.now my mum wil nt complain wen i dnt put it.it makes me voimt
Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by Sheyila1: 3:34pm On Feb 22, 2011
Yea, the scarcity and hike in onion price was notice in good no of towns in 9ija, including calabar, Cross River state but its almost return to normal and usual price now in calabar. So watch out in Lag as well as other town it will soon return to normal. When I went to market to buy some and they showed me 1 for #100 I was just laughing, I mean serious laughing and those women and even hausa's (who sells) just hissed on me and droped it. I couldn't just believed it, it was very funny to me and I don't know why. I cant cook without Onion.
Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by yesboss20(m): 3:59pm On Feb 22, 2011
That's naija for you!
We the best in everything. Far from pop
Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by dejavume: 4:39pm On Feb 22, 2011
it was brought to my notice dat the price of onions av gone up,when my neigbhour was accusing his wife of adding to the price of onion,which i almost believed him,my God if u see those tiny onions i was lost in thought,2 (tiny) onions 4 N50, fear grip my nerve.
God saves us
Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by Oking1(m): 10:06pm On Feb 22, 2011
na wa o!!!javascript:void(0);javascript:void(0);javascript:void(0);

Nothing better to talk about again but the effect of lack of Onions on the human population!!javascript:void(0);javascript:void(0);
Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by Nobody: 10:19pm On Feb 22, 2011
garlic?
Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by amor4ce(m): 10:24pm On Feb 22, 2011
^^^
What dose do you recommend for similar and not excessive effects?
Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by Nobody: 10:27pm On Feb 22, 2011
^not sure, but less is generally more as far as garlic is concerned.
Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by amor4ce(m): 10:33pm On Feb 22, 2011
Well, I have some experience with an excessive dose - farts seriously tainted with the garlic pungency!
Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by Emmysteve(m): 10:36pm On Feb 22, 2011
I have stopped eating oniøns sinse when the hike began. 4 me, cooking with onions is suspended. Shekinah
Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by Nobody: 11:43pm On Feb 22, 2011
amor4ce:

Well, I have some experience with an excessive dose - farts seriously tainted with the garlic pungency!

even one's sweat sef will be tainted with garlic, if it's eaten in excessive amounts.

you know, when you're chatting with someone and they faint from the awesome aroma ie powerful fumes emanating in the absence of breath mints.

not referring to you personally, of course wink

but you're right- too much garlic has an effect.
Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by spicy007(f): 1:34pm On Feb 23, 2011
i think the question should be, whats the cooking alternative to onions?
i think that should be a combination of ginger and garlic.
Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by Brite02(m): 4:41pm On Feb 23, 2011
spicy007:

i think the question should be, whats the cooking alternative to onions?
i think that should be a combination of ginger and garlic.

lol! cool D combo of ginger n garlic 4 soup? Lol! tongue tongue man belly go b hell fire tongue grin
Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by Gekko(m): 5:51pm On Feb 23, 2011
the closest substitutes i can think of is scallions and shallots, not sure if these are common in Nigeria.
Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by Fhemmmy: 9:50pm On Feb 24, 2011
I hate Onion
Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by lastpage: 1:25am On Feb 25, 2011
Do not say l told you! (Whispers silently)  lipsrsealed

I hear  that Ghadafi of Libya ran out of bullets and started using onions as bullets!

Now, all our onions go to Libya, at a good exchange rate naaah!

(whispers again) Please shiiiiiiiiii, its kind of private discussion o! Ghadafi might be eaves dropping!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by Busybody2(f): 3:52pm On Feb 26, 2011
lastpage:

I hear  that Ghadafi of Libya ran out of bullets and started using onions as bullets!

(whispers again) Please shiiiiiiiiii, its kind of private discussion o! Ghadafi might be eaves dropping!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Thread update - https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-241742.96.html#msg7805539

2 years deadline very very very very important cool
Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by lastpage: 9:04pm On Feb 26, 2011
^^^^^^^
Thanks Maam,
I hear that Onions are getting cheaper by the day!
Ghadafi has agreed to step-aside and no need to use them as bullets anymore!! grin

Unfortunately, some protesters still want to stone the man to death, for "not protecting" a few protesters that died;

And they're gonna use "onions instead of stones"! Naaaaah

Hmmm
Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by koolchicco: 10:15pm On Mar 01, 2011
Hmm, Interesting cheesy
Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by otosin: 5:58pm On Mar 05, 2011
Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by vincent10(m): 9:40pm On Mar 05, 2011
lastpage:

lol.
Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by Busybody2(f): 7:27pm On Mar 07, 2011
vincent09:
[size=14pt]Onion is now expensive than fish/meat. Those days u eat meat/fish last but this days u eat onion last because its expensive.[/size]

ROFL, my side hurts, chei nairaland will not be the end of me grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: What Is The Effect Of Cooking Without Onion by Brite02(m): 11:56pm On Mar 07, 2011
lastpage:

^^^^^^^
Thanks Maam,
I hear that Onions are getting cheaper by the day!
Ghadafi has agreed to step-aside and no need to use them as bullets anymore!! grin

Unfortunately, some protesters still want to stone the man to death, for "not protecting" a few protesters that died;

And they're gonna use "onions instead of stones" Naaaaah.

Hmmm

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

lastpage:

cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Ndygold:

intresting smiley.i hate onion.now my mum wil nt complain wen i dnt put it.it makes me voimt
tongue tongue cheesy cheesy cheesy

Beync:

There is time and season for everything food.
this is not the season for onions, its natural scarcity.

U can use carrot instead grin there is carrot every where
The season is favorabe for carrot not onions

I no fit shout tongue carrots as onions lol grin cheesy grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Make Edible Lace For Cake Decorating / What I Saw In The Nutri-milk I Bought Today (pix) / How To Make Kunun Zaki (millet Drink Recipe)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.