Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,539 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:01 AM

The Hypocritical "Live And Let Live" Mantra By Nigerians - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Hypocritical "Live And Let Live" Mantra By Nigerians (1045 Views)

The Hypocritical Nature Of Most Men / Nigerian Female Painter's Methods Of Advertising Got Her Blasted By Nigerians / Man Reveals The Hypocritical Nature Of Nigerian Ladies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Hypocritical "Live And Let Live" Mantra By Nigerians by Offpoint: 12:06am On Sep 05, 2020
Note: I own no one no Apologies if you get offended by this write up.

Last night a thread greased Nairaland frontpage, a thread about a guy "harassing" a lady who supposedly dressed indecently.

I was astound by the comments I saw, in fact I got so disgusted by the comments I read I had to logged out of Nairaland pissed.

98% of the first page comments which I was patient enough to endured and stomach were against the guy actions, almost no one tend to speak about the indecent way the lady dressed.

What killed me totally was:
" The guy should have mind his business"
" The live and let live" crew' and other derogatory comments towards the guy.

I'm not here to justify or condemn the guy actions, in fact I want to focus on the "Live and let live"
mantra

You have no business living with human beings if you adhered to the "Live and let live" mantra, adage, saying or whatever the hell it is.
Whoever hold on to that belief should totally isolate his/her self to one of the loneliest place on earth.
WHY?

Whenever Righteousness89 made comments/preach, I see 400 likes and more and I said to myself "these are the numbers of hypocrites currently online" .
WHY the likes if you believe in "Live let and let live"?

Everyone Sunday/Friday you have the religious houses filled up to the brim... WHY? if everyone believes in "Live and let live"?

What are the purpose of religious houses? It is to constantly remind you that you CAN'T "Live and let live" they're there to remind you that there certain ways you need to live your life and same with thing the Righteousness guy does.

Live and let live? Sorry you can't live and let live because as long as you're living in human society, your actions or inactions affects those living with you directly or indirectly.

If everyone should live and let live, then every atrocities is acceptable in such society because those involved in those atrocious activities... The robbers, rapist, cultist, kidnappers, ritualist, fraudsters etc deserve their rights to "Live and let live"

Would have love to stop here, but I know some of you might want to form "Civilized" by asking me How does the way anyone dress affects me/society?

Imagine Day 1, I took my 6 years girl for a walk around the street and walking by every lady who passed us by are dressed half naked.

Day 2... Same, Day 3, 4, 5, 7, same thing in almost different streets and routes.

Will the actions of those ladies affect my young daughter subconsciously or not? What image about dressing would be recorded in her innocent mind?

No matter how well you've trained your kids, the society they're brought up have an enormous effects on them.
What they see and hear have effects on them.

As long as you're a human, living in human society, YOU CAN'T LIVE AND LET LIVE.

A society of live and let live is a society of anarchy

2 Likes

Re: The Hypocritical "Live And Let Live" Mantra By Nigerians by WoundedLamb: 12:39am On Sep 05, 2020
You said you're not here to justify the man's action and then you wrote an epistle justifying the man's action. Lol.

Let's know your view before it spirals down into fruitless arguments. Since you're not OK with the man's action (as you said you are not justifying it) and you're also not OK with the critics (as you said they are hypocritical), what do you think the man should have done?

2 Likes

Re: The Hypocritical "Live And Let Live" Mantra By Nigerians by Offpoint: 1:39am On Sep 05, 2020
WoundedLamb:
You said you're not here to justify the man's action and then you wrote an epistle justifying the man's action. Lol.

Let's know your view before it spirals down into fruitless arguments. Since you're not OK with the man's action (as you said you are not justifying it) and you're also not OK with the critics (as you said they are hypocritical), what do you think the man should have done?
I'm glad you asked, there was 2 wrongs in the video...
The guy side being "Recording" the event.
I didn't justify him because he "Recorded", not only "Recorded, but he did it in perverted manner"

I didn't condemn him because He drew her attention to what she wore.

I don't need to explain the second wrong which is from the lady.

Until you read the write up with sincere mind, you won't get the message.

Forget about the said event and focus on the mantra "Live and let live."

On what the man should have done... He should have approaching her in a more respectful manner and talk to her about her dressing in a friendly way.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hypocritical "Live And Let Live" Mantra By Nigerians by Arthurity1(m): 2:26am On Sep 05, 2020
If you cannot mind your own business and face your front, then shoot yourself because you are not worthy of life.... Nobody came to this world joined with anyone except conjoined twins, and even they have their own identity... Mind your business, if it is not killing you or anyone else, why interfere? This is why Nigerians remain poor, because they choose to enter another man's business instead of facing theirs. Little men discuss other people, big men discuss themselves....
Christ said "if any one amongst you hasn't sinned, cast the first stone", simply meaning it is not your place to judge, you are not God, so mind your f*cking business!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hypocritical "Live And Let Live" Mantra By Nigerians by WoundedLamb: 3:16am On Sep 05, 2020
Offpoint:

I'm glad you asked, there was 2 wrongs in the video...
The guy side being "Recording" the event.
I didn't justify him because he "Recorded", not only "Recorded, but he did it in perverted manner"

I didn't condemn him because He drew her attention to what she wore.

I don't need to explain the second wrong which is from the lady.

Until you read the write up with sincere mind, you won't get the message.

Forget about the said event and focus on the mantra "Live and let live."

On what the man should have done... He should have approaching her in a more respectful manner and talk to her about her dressing in a friendly way.

I would have gladly focused on the mantra if you had not brought up the event. So let me drop a few words on that before we proceed. The concept of wrong dressing is tied to region/culture. There was a time in the african culture when women only covered their breasts and their genitals. This knowledge implies that when one moves from one region to another, they might need to reassess their definitions. This does not necessarily mean dressing like the locals but, at least, knowing what to expect/tolerate. Countries near the polar regions, for example, get extremely hot during summer and extremely cold during winter. Traditionally, people from these countries got used to skimpy clothes during the hot season and very thick winter jackets during the cold season. Though these clothes aren't tied to seasons anymore, the culture is already favourable to skimpy clothes and it is no big deal in these countries. These clothes don't mean the girls are more morally declined than their fully clothed counterparts in Nigeria, these clothes don't necessarily make the men to rape them, and truthfully, different occasions might still require different dressing styles. I appreciate the fact that someone from Nigeria might consider this unacceptable (there are so many things Africans do that whites think are rather bizarre too) especially when he sees a fellow Nigerian dressing like these foreigners. But the best you can do as a stranger is to "preach" from a distance and not constitute a nuisance while at it. Harassing her like the man did is out of the question. There's nothing at all that slighty makes him justifiable. Good or bad, the girl had the right to put on anything she wanted to. I still don't know why she didn't call the police; maybe she's an illegal immigrant herself.

Now about the mantra, lol. The saying simply means you should not inflict any form of harm on people because they disagree with your philosophy provided they have not committed any crime. Crime, in this context, means any action actively taken by a party with the aim of directly or indirectly hurting another party without their voluntary participation. You can disagree with people's actions, you can have an opinion about them but it's not in your place to go after them cause they don't fit into your lifestyle. Men cheat on their wives; boys keep many girlfriends these days and they come online to boast about it. The younger ones read these things and think it's cool, such a terrible influence. I personally disagree with that lifestyle, I might even tell a friend it's not cool and be 'vocal' about on a faceless forum like this but I'm not in a position to call anybody out based on that. I can only try to tell make my younger ones know what is right or wrong. There's always something we do that others consider not to be cool. The moment you try to tell people how to live their lives, you're already assuming a superior position and that is why men in Africa believe it's OK to tell a lady how to dress.

We have moved on from macro societies to micro societies. The society is now you and your circle and that's what you should be concerned about, maintaining the sanity of your society for yourself and your offspring

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Hypocritical "Live And Let Live" Mantra By Nigerians by zed7: 6:01am On Sep 05, 2020
WoundedLamb:

I would have gladly focused on the mantra if you had not brought up the event. So let me drop a few words on that before we proceed. The concept of wrong dressing is tied to region/culture. There was a time in the african culture when women only covered their breasts and their genitals. This knowledge implies that when one moves from one region to another, they might need to reassess their definitions. This does not necessarily mean dressing like the locals but, at least, knowing what to expect/tolerate. Countries near the polar regions, for example, get extremely hot during summer and extremely cold during winter. Traditionally, people from these countries got used to skimpy clothes during the hot season and very thick winter jackets during the cold season. Though these clothes aren't tied to seasons anymore, the culture is already favourable to skimpy clothes and it is no big deal in these countries. These clothes don't mean the girls are more morally declined than their fully clothed counterparts in Nigeria, these clothes don't necessarily make the men to rape them, and truthfully, different occasions might still require different dressing styles. I appreciate the fact that someone from Nigeria might consider this unacceptable (there are so many things Africans do that whites think are rather bizarre too) especially when he sees a fellow Nigerian dressing like these foreigners. But the best you can do as a stranger is to "preach" from a distance and not constitute a nuisance while at it. Harassing her like the man did is out of the question. There's nothing at all that slighty makes him justifiable. Good or bad, the girl had the right to put on anything she wanted to. I still don't know why she didn't call the police; maybe she's an illegal immigrant herself.

Now about the mantra, lol. The saying simply means you should not inflict any form of harm on people because they disagree with your philosophy provided they have not committed any crime. Crime, in this context, means anything action actively taken by a party with the aim of directly or indirectly hurting another party without their voluntary participation. You can disagree with people's actions, you can have an opinion about them but it's not in your place to go after them cause they don't fit into your lifestyle. Men cheat on their wives; boys keep many girlfriends these days and they come online to boast about it. The younger ones read these things and think it's cool, such a terrible influence. I personally disagree with that lifestyle, I might even tell a friend it's not cool and be 'vocal' about on a faceless forum like this but I'm not in a position to call anybody out based on that. I can only try to tell make my younger ones know what is right or wrong. There's always something we do that others consider not to be cool. The moment you try to tell people how to live their lives, you're already assuming a superior position and that is why men in Africa believe it's OK to tell a lady how to dress.

We have moved on from macro societies to micro societies. The society is now you and your circle and that's what you should be concerned about, maintaining the sanity of your society for yourself and your offspring
It's easy to spot an intelligent person. The tone sounds like that of a woman and that makes it double impressive (if you are a woman). While a lot of women are smart, most cannot help but be emotional when putting up an argument.
Re: The Hypocritical "Live And Let Live" Mantra By Nigerians by Offpoint: 6:37am On Sep 05, 2020
Arthurity1:
If you cannot mind your own business and face your front, then shoot yourself because you are not worthy of life.... Nobody came to this world joined with anyone except conjoined twins, and even they have their own identity... Mind your business, if it is not killing you or anyone else, why interfere? This is why Nigerians remain poor, because they choose to enter another man's business instead of facing theirs. Little men discuss other people, big men discuss themselves....
Christ said "if any one amongst you hasn't sinned, cast the first stone", simply meaning it is not your place to judge, you are not God, so mind your f*cking business!!!
In your context, if I see a bugler trying to bugle into my neighbour's house I should "Mind my business" I see a fraudster trying to dub some of his/money I should "Mind my business" because I'm not perfect right?

Only those with those with broad view will get the message.
Re: The Hypocritical "Live And Let Live" Mantra By Nigerians by Offpoint: 7:11am On Sep 05, 2020
WoundedLamb:

I would have gladly focused on the mantra if you had not brought up the event. So let me drop a few words on that before we proceed. The concept of wrong dressing is tied to region/culture. There was a time in the african culture when women only covered their breasts and their genitals. This knowledge implies that when one moves from one region to another, they might need to reassess their definitions. This does not necessarily mean dressing like the locals but, at least, knowing what to expect/tolerate. Countries near the polar regions, for example, get extremely hot during summer and extremely cold during winter. Traditionally, people from these countries got used to skimpy clothes during the hot season and very thick winter jackets during the cold season. Though these clothes aren't tied to seasons anymore, the culture is already favourable to skimpy clothes and it is no big deal in these countries. These clothes don't mean the girls are more morally declined than their fully clothed counterparts in Nigeria, these clothes don't necessarily make the men to rape them, and truthfully, different occasions might still require different dressing styles. I appreciate the fact that someone from Nigeria might consider this unacceptable (there are so many things Africans do that whites think are rather bizarre too) especially when he sees a fellow Nigerian dressing like these foreigners. But the best you can do as a stranger is to "preach" from a distance and not constitute a nuisance while at it. Harassing her like the man did is out of the question. There's nothing at all that slighty makes him justifiable. Good or bad, the girl had the right to put on anything she wanted to . I still don't know why she didn't call the police; maybe she's an illegal immigrant herself.

Now about the mantra, lol. The saying simply means you should not inflict any form of harm on people because they disagree with your philosophy provided they have not committed any crime. Crime, in this context, means anything action actively taken by a party with the aim of directly or indirectly hurting another party without their voluntary participation. You can disagree with people's actions, you can have an opinion about them but it's not in your place to go after them cause they don't fit into your lifestyle. Men cheat on their wives; boys keep many girlfriends these days and they come online to boast about it. The younger ones read these things and think it's cool, such a terrible influence. I personally disagree with that lifestyle, I might even tell a friend it's not cool and be 'vocal' about on a faceless forum like this but I'm not in a position to call anybody out based on that. I can only try to tell make my younger ones know what is right or wrong. There's always something we do that others consider not to be cool. The moment you try to tell people how to live their lives, you're already assuming a superior position and that is why men in Africa believe it's OK to tell a lady how to dress.

I'm glad you have sound mind and have been able to make few points.

There are few points I've bolded in your write up I want to touch.

First bolded: I clearly stated I didn't justify non condemned the guy's actions.

Second and third bolded: I'll combine my points.
If we have rights to do whatever we want since it doesn't directly or indirectly hurt anyone, why is a crime to go out naked in some societies?
How does me walking around Naked hurts anyone?

If I return home and see my neighbours 12 years son and daughter kissing and caressing themselves... What harm did their actions cost me?

Should I simply "live and let live" since the kids actions is of no direct or indirect harm to me?

There's no way we are to twist it, in human society live and let live will breed anarchy and Immoral society.

For the record I'm not a saint
Re: The Hypocritical "Live And Let Live" Mantra By Nigerians by WoundedLamb: 8:40am On Sep 05, 2020
Offpoint:

I'm glad you have sound mind and have been able to make few points.

There are few points I've bolded in your write up I want to touch.

First bolded: I clearly stated I didn't justify non condemned the guy's actions.

Second and third bolded: I'll combine my points.
If we have rights to do whatever we want since it doesn't directly or indirectly hurt anyone, why is a crime to go out naked in some societies?
How does me walking around Naked hurts anyone?

If I return home and see my neighbours 12 years son and daughter kissing and caressing themselves... What harm did their actions cost me?

Should I simply "live and let live" since the kids actions is of no direct or indirect harm to me?

There's no way we are to twist it, in human society live and let live will breed anarchy and Immoral society.

For the record I'm not a saint

In many countries, it's only illegal to not to cover the genitals. And even if the genitals are exposed unintentionally, it is still not a crime. This is because the intention is the real crime. A lady who prefers skimpy clothes might still put them on even if there are only women around so there's no clear evidence that every lady in skimpy clothes has the intention to perpetuate evil. Fashion breeds confidence and for many, that's their source of confidence. Men put on body hugs that show their chest lines too, who has ever harassed them? No one because we believe it's just fashion. But then we feel the need to tell the ladies how to dress. I'm not supporting skimpy dressing (I'm actually indifferent) but I'm not in a position to walk up to an adult, a total stranger and call her out for her dressing, she's not a kid and she's within her rights. If I feel her dressing will influence my kids, I either move to a society where their dressing goes well with my standards or just try to ensure my kids don't associate with them. But you can't come to another man's society and start pushing your own standards down their throats, that's intolerance. There will always be something that is not a crime that others do that you don't find acceptable, how many of such things do plan to fight? Live/let live is not just for others but for your own sanity too and you're only finding it strange cause you grew up in a society where people are always up one another's business.

About the kids' analogy, parents are responsible for their kid's actions, good or bad. If they commit a crime, the parents will pay for it. As such, they also reserve the right to tell the kids what to do. Admonishing a kid doing something wrong is like helping the parents in their absence. But once they grow into adults, bro, you can only preach. You can't harass two grown ups for having sex even though it might be wrong by your standards. Likewise a grown up girl dressed scantily. She's not a kid and this kids analogy still suggests some sense of superiority on your part, and I believe that's where your perceptions stem from. Nobody has ever harassed a man for cheating (something even more hurtful to another party) but we tend to feel it's our responsibility to guide and guard the ladies.

Anarchy is the absence of law. The law has criminalised what it deems hurtful (like going around naked as you pointed out). The law has drawn the line. You thinking the law is insufficient and feeling the need to augment it by your own standards is, in fact, far more anarchistic because if we all bring our individual standards to the table based on our respective micro societies, religion, cultures, etc., then they'll be chaos. And that is where live/let live mantra comes into play. It is, in fact, the only way to co-exist as humans.

Hope it's clear.

1 Like

Re: The Hypocritical "Live And Let Live" Mantra By Nigerians by Abso1uteZero(m): 9:02am On Sep 05, 2020
Shut up and live and let live.
Na this small thing wey no reach any where you write vanguard article for??

undecided
Re: The Hypocritical "Live And Let Live" Mantra By Nigerians by Offpoint: 9:06am On Sep 05, 2020
WoundedLamb:

In many countries, it's only illegal to not to cover the genitals. And even if the genitals are exposed unintentionally, it is still not a crime. This is because the intention is the real crime. A lady who prefers skimpy clothes might still put them on even if there are only women around so there's no clear evidence that every lady in skimpy clothes has the intention to perpetuate evil. Fashion breeds confidence and for many, that's their source of confidence. Men put on body hugs that show their chest lines too, who has ever harassed them? No one because we believe it's just fashion. But then we feel the need to tell the ladies how to dress. I'm not supporting skimpy dressing (I'm actually indifferent) but I'm not in a position to walk up to an adult, a total stranger and call her out for her dressing, she's not a kid and she's within her rights. If I feel her dressing will influence my kids, I either move to a society where their dressing goes well with my standards or just try to ensure my kids don't associate with them. But you can't come to another man's society and start pushing your own standards down their throats, that's intolerance. There will always be something that is not a crime that others do that you don't find acceptable, how many of such things do plan to fight? Live/let live is not just for others but for your own sanity too and you're only finding it strange cause you grew up in a society where people are always up one another's business.

About the kids' analogy, parents are responsible for their kid's actions, good or bad. If they commit a crime, the parents will pay for it. As such, they also reserve the right to tell the kids what to do. Admonishing a kid doing something wrong is like helping the parents in their absence. But once they grow into adults, bro, you can only preach. You can't harass two grown ups for having sex even though it might be wrong by your standards. Likewise a grown up girl dressed scantily. She's not a kid and this kids analogy still suggests some sense of superiority on your part, and I believe that's where your perceptions stem from. Nobody has ever harassed a man for cheating (something even more hurtful to another party) but we tend to feel it's our responsibility to guide and guard the ladies.

Anarchy is the absence of law. The law has criminalised what it deems hurtful (like going around naked as you pointed out). The law has drawn the line. You thinking the law is insufficient and feeling the need to augment it by your own standards is, in fact, far more anarchistic because if we all bring our individual standards to the table based on our respective micro societies, religion, cultures, etc., then they'll be chaos. And that is where live/let live mantra comes into play. It is, in fact, the only way to co-exist as humans.

Hope it's clear.
I have some points, in order not to further stretch this argument with... I'll love to ask you a personal question. "Should everyone mind their businesses" In the real sense?

I don't know what "live and let live" mean to you in your own point of view, but in my own view it means "ANYTHING GOES"

There's another thread I saw this morning about a friend who catch his friend's fiancee in another guy apartment and the "Mind your business" comments still surfaced.

1 Like

Re: The Hypocritical "Live And Let Live" Mantra By Nigerians by WoundedLamb: 9:36am On Sep 05, 2020
Offpoint:

I have some points, in order not to further stretch this argument with... I'll love to ask you a personal question. "Should everyone mind their businesses" In the real sense?

I don't know what "live and let live" mean to you in your own point of view, but in my own view it means "ANYTHING GOES"

There's another thread I saw this morning about a friend who catch his friend's fiancee in another guy apartment and the "Mind your business" comments still surfaced.

I advice my friends and family in the most friendly way possible. I can advice a stranger who sought for it. I can share my opinion tactfully. Asides these, I mind my business. If I don't like how something is done where I live, I advocate for the law to be amended but I never ever take it upon myself to police others and stretch the law by my standards. I don't do that, mostly because I wouldn't like others to drag me based on their own standards too and also because minding one's business is the culture where I grew up and currently still live. It is a way of life here and it has proven to be a peaceful way. It does not mean "anything goes" because anything cannot go where there are already laws. You don't need to be a law on your own.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hypocritical "Live And Let Live" Mantra By Nigerians by Offpoint: 10:16am On Sep 05, 2020
WoundedLamb:

I advice my friends and family in the most friendly way possible. I can advice a stranger who sought for it. I can share my opinion tactfully. Asides these, I mind my business. If I don't like how something is done where I live, I advocate for the law to be amended but I never ever take it upon myself to police others and stretch the law by my standards. I don't do that, mostly because I wouldn't like others to drag me based on their own standards too and also because minding one's business is the culture where I grew up and currently still live. It is a way of life here and it has proven to be a peaceful way. It does not mean "anything goes" because anything cannot go where there are already laws. You don't need to be a law on your own.
In respective of whatever analogy we use in treating this topic, the bolded is a the point I needed.

If we are truly to "Live and let live", to "Mind our businesses" in the right context there wouldn't have been any reasons for LAW.
There was/is law in the first place to checkmate us as human.

2 grow ups guys having sex with themselves is of no "Harm" to no one, why didn't Nigeria law "Not live and let live"?

I can't go around policing anyone on how they choose to live their lives and that doesn't mean I should public/privately condone or support everything.
Re: The Hypocritical "Live And Let Live" Mantra By Nigerians by Arthurity1(m): 10:20am On Sep 05, 2020
Offpoint:

In your context, if I see a bugler trying to bugle into my neighbour's house I should "Mind my business" I see a fraudster trying to dub some of his/money I should "Mind my business" because I'm not perfect right?

Only those with those with broad view will get the message.
If you see situation is cause harm to someone else's life, then you interfere to save the person's life and nothing more.... How is a woman wearing mini skirt going to cause anyone harm?
Re: The Hypocritical "Live And Let Live" Mantra By Nigerians by Offpoint: 10:20am On Sep 05, 2020
Abso1uteZero:
Shut up and live and let live.
Na this small thing wey no reach any where you write vanguard article for??

undecided
If you're smart, you'll see the hypocrisy in your comment. I'll leave you to figure it out yourself.
Re: The Hypocritical "Live And Let Live" Mantra By Nigerians by Offpoint: 10:25am On Sep 05, 2020
Arthurity1:

If you see situation is cause harm to someone else's life, then you interfere to save the person's life and nothing more.... How is a woman wearing mini skirt going to cause anyone harm?
If a perverted mind driving by got distracted by her dressing and lose control of his car or ran into another vehicle, has her dressing cause someone harm or not?

There's a reason I used the words "Directly or indirectly"
Re: The Hypocritical "Live And Let Live" Mantra By Nigerians by Arthurity1(m): 10:37am On Sep 05, 2020
Offpoint:

If a perverted mind driving by got distracted by her dressing and lose control of his car or ran into another vehicle, has her dressing cause someone harm or not?

There's a reason I used the words "Directly or indirectly"
The situation you are mentioning is highly improbable... And even if it happens, it's the guy's fault for not facing front, afterall nobody forced him to be a pervert... A pervert will always look regardless of the lady wears
Re: The Hypocritical "Live And Let Live" Mantra By Nigerians by Offpoint: 10:52am On Sep 05, 2020
Arthurity1:

The situation you are mentioning is highly improbable... And even if it happens, it's the guy's fault for not facing front, afterall nobody forced him to be a pervert... A pervert will always look regardless of the lady wears
It's the guy's fault, without the lady contributing to guy's fault in any way directly or indirectly... Right?
Re: The Hypocritical "Live And Let Live" Mantra By Nigerians by Arthurity1(m): 11:07am On Sep 05, 2020
Offpoint:

It's the guy's fault, without the lady contributing to guy's fault in any way directly or indirectly... Right?
Though you could say the lady could dress better, the fault is entirely on the man... He had a choice between to look and not to look, and he chose to look, nobody forced him to do it, it was of his own will and volition. Explain for the underage girls that get raped by pedophiles, do they have a fault in that one? A pervert is a pervert regardless of what the lady wears. A decent man will rape, regardless of the situation.
Re: The Hypocritical "Live And Let Live" Mantra By Nigerians by MajorOvakporaye(f): 11:11am On Sep 05, 2020
WHAT A USELESS THREAD!
Re: The Hypocritical "Live And Let Live" Mantra By Nigerians by Offpoint: 11:15am On Sep 05, 2020
Arthurity1:

Though you could say the lady could dress better, the fault is entirely on the man... He had a choice between to look and not to look, and he chose to look, nobody forced him to do it, it was of his own will and volition. Explain for the underage girls that get raped by pedophiles, do they have a fault in that one? A pervert is a pervert regardless of what the lady wears. A decent man will rape, regardless of the situation.
Let's keep under age rapist out of the equation.

You asked what harm the dressing cause and I give you a narrative that suits your question.
Re: The Hypocritical "Live And Let Live" Mantra By Nigerians by Abso1uteZero(m): 1:04pm On Sep 05, 2020
Offpoint:

If you're smart, you'll see the hypocrisy in your comment. I'll leave you to figure it out yourself.

Yada yada yada...

Live your own and leave others alone.

It's not that deep.
Re: The Hypocritical "Live And Let Live" Mantra By Nigerians by WoundedLamb: 2:52pm On Sep 05, 2020
Offpoint:

In respective of whatever analogy we use in treating this topic, the bolded is a the point I needed.

If we are truly to "Live and let live", to "Mind our businesses" in the right context there wouldn't have been any reasons for LAW.
There was/is law in the first place to checkmate us as human.

2 grow ups guys having sex with themselves is of no "Harm" to no one, why didn't Nigeria law "Not live and let live"?

I can't go around policing anyone on how they choose to live their lives and that doesn't mean I should public/privately condone or support everything.

1) But there are laws already protecting people from harm. The aim of the law in a liberal setting is to ensure people don't harm others and to promote live/let-live. Since we have these laws in place, anyone still refusing to live/let-live is no longer law abiding. If you remember my first definition, anything that inflicts harm others is not encapsulated in the live/let-live mantra and the law is there to ensure that definition is upheld.

2) I'm glad you brought that up. Criminalization of homosexuality, regardless of how you guys hate it, is not justifiable in any way because it's a big deviation from this definition of what a crime should be. The African community allows religion to interfere with their laws and religion is not known to be tolerant/accommodating or considerate towards the minority. The criminalization has led to the killing of some gay people, suicide/depression on the gah guys' part, parents casting out their children and gays guys getting into horrible marriages just to please the intolerant society. These are similar to what was obtainable before man got enlightened and they are just some of the effects of a law that deviates from live/let-live philosophy.

Live and let live is the reason you're free as a black man today. It is the reason why you can practice your religion freely to a great extent. It is the only reason why man has moved on from the pre-civilization era when you could inflict harm on those who don't abide by your standards provided you're stronger. Nobody said you should support everything, that's not possible. But it is not in your place to condone or not condone my dressing, you simply don't have that right.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hypocritical "Live And Let Live" Mantra By Nigerians by paulolee(m): 3:16pm On Sep 05, 2020
nice one
Re: The Hypocritical "Live And Let Live" Mantra By Nigerians by themaestro08(m): 3:58pm On Sep 05, 2020
Yeah, "live and let live", a simple concept you find difficult to understand. See, its quite simple really, guys like wounded lamb and authority have done a great job in enlightening you regarding this, but for reasons unclear to me you seen not to grasp it.

So long as people actions doesn't affect you steer clear! Unless if they pose any harm to you. Else mind your damn business, as you live your life in peace also let other people live theirs . And beside who are you to judge? , And where did you get that moral superiority that gives the backbone to sit in the comfort of your sofa and be casting judgements.

You talked about morality and all that but that's a subjective matter. What have you got to say regarding legally nude beaches in Europe and elsewhere? Go and preach the your actions affect one bla bla? People will be like who's this silly dude? cheesy grin grin

I somehow feel this argument is a bit silly and a waste of time as I can't understand why a full grown adult will fail to grasp this simple concept.

(1) (Reply)

Is It Possible? / Nigeria Babes With Birthday Celebration Anytime They Have A New Guy. / Bestest Blacks Ebony Porns On Hd Quality

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 185
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.