Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,196 members, 7,953,720 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:47 AM

10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 (63595 Views)

Top Ten Lucrative Courses In Nigeria / Most Lucrative Courses In Nigeria: No. 10 Will Shock You!! / Top 10 Lucrative Courses In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by Medunah: 11:41am On Sep 08, 2020
Knowing what i know now, I wish I studied Human Resourses in school

1 Like

Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by Komu1048(m): 11:42am On Sep 08, 2020
Adavizeee:
Proudly agriculturist!

Are u gainfully employed or self employed

1 Like

Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by Naijaarchive(m): 11:43am On Sep 08, 2020
samuelpeters:

You are confusing yourself.
We have pathologists that specialize in Medical Microbiology and we also have MLS that specialize in Medical Microbiology.
The former cannot setup a Diagnostic Lab without the Licence of the Latter(still debatable). Both can say they are Medical Microbiologists.

I don't think we have an Undergraduate course called MedMCB. if we do, the person cannot setup a Lab without the Licence of MLS.

I never said anywhere that it is an undergraduate course.... Was only saying i know people that are medical microbiologist with their own labs
Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by Pavillon: 11:45am On Sep 08, 2020
abdullahi45:

Absolutely! You hit the nail's head bro. Information is everywhere, people only have problems accessing it or have access to wrong info.

How's medical microbiology treating you bro? For me, I prefer molecular microbiology, though a bit more challenging, but interesting..

I'm an intern at a research institute in a west African country
I started in the clinical microbiology lab first before joining the research lab....

1 Like

Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by Komu1048(m): 11:45am On Sep 08, 2020
Agbebakun22:
I'm commercial student, I will love to take a look at estate management.. Pls what are the subject requirements for it especially a commercial student.. I have math, English, civic, economics, agricultural science, marketing, financial accounting, commerce... Which one's will be good combination for estate management, already finished an NCE but I want to start afresh again

What happen to checking jamb brochure. But I believe u will need eng, maths, Econ and physics perhaps

1 Like

Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by samuelpeters(m): 11:46am On Sep 08, 2020
Naijaarchive:

I never said anywhere that it is an undergraduate course.... Was only saying i know people that are medical microbiologist with their own labs
I didn't accuse you.
I only clarified your Assertion that you kniw people that are Medmicrobiologists with their own Labs.
They are either Doctors/pathologist or MLS or anyother person with the Licence to own a Lab.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by tayotheplug: 11:47am On Sep 08, 2020
nice one.

but you didnt add hustling

1 Like

Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by FGonline: 11:48am On Sep 08, 2020
Naijaarchive:

Lol yes grin it's been a while since I engage in this kind of discussions on nairaland
alright

Microbiology is wide,but most ppl don't know.
And that's why you can do your IT in a Research institute and a hospital too.

1 Like

Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by Naijaarchive(m): 11:50am On Sep 08, 2020
sherylbakky:
In case u do not know what MBBS stands for, it means Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery. That's Medical doctors the UNN site is referring to and not any kind of Microbiology. Microbiology in Nigeria today is a no go area in terms of job opportunities. Mind you Even MBBS do not av the authority to set up diagnostic centers, only Medical Lab scientists can.

And as for medical microbiology, it's under microbiology and it's not being studied at first degree level. Even with the medical microbiology at the second or third degree level, it doesn't still change the fact that u are a microbiologist and no job opportunity in that field in Nigeria of today.

The bolded was my main point... I only suggest with Medical microbiology you get job opportunities in hospitals and laboratories based on my experience from different people. Not that am confusing it for MBBS.... I know these courses are intertwined...
Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by Naijaarchive(m): 11:52am On Sep 08, 2020
samuelpeters:

I didn't accuse you.
I only clarified your Assertion that you kniw people that are Medmicrobiologists with their own Labs.
They are either Doctors/pathologist or MLS or anyother person with the Licence to own a Lab.

Yes no argument about the licensing
Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by maipeople(m): 11:53am On Sep 08, 2020
This is due to the fact that we don't value research. As an example, microbiologists are the people at forefront in trying to find the cure of covid-19. Just imagine the million of dollars pumped in for the research.
Collins300:

Most of them are biology teachers in secondary schools grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by kayrichy: 11:57am On Sep 08, 2020
It could also be a pathway to studying medicine....I agree with OP on this.
Uyi168:
Op, I just God beg u..
Remove microbiology from your list...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by Nobody: 11:59am On Sep 08, 2020
Naijaarchive:

The bolded was my main point... I only suggest with Medical microbiology you get job opportunities in hospitals and laboratories based on my experience from different people. Not that am confusing it for MBBS.... I know these courses are intertwined...
Ok, but If it's that easy, all these MCB graduates that are now makeup artists wud have done that.

If u know anyone who is medical microbiologist and have a diagnostic lab, it's either the person studied MLS at first degree level and went for medical microbiology at second degree as a matter of interest or the person employ a Medical Lab scientist( or using the influence of Medical Lab scientist, which is illegal )as the main Officer of that Lab. Find out more

1 Like

Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by UTEWUOJO: 12:01pm On Sep 08, 2020
And who told you that Civil engineering is underated?

2 Likes

Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by Naijaarchive(m): 12:01pm On Sep 08, 2020
sherylbakky:
Ok, but If it's that easy, all these MCB graduates that are now makeup artists wud have done that.

If u know anyone who is medical microbiologist and have a diagnostic lab, it's either the person studied MLS at first degree level and went for medical microbiology at second degree as a matter of interest or the person employ a Medical Lab scientist( or using the influence of Medical Lab scientist, which is illegal )as the main Officer of that Lab. Find out more

I don't know what the person did at 1st degree but am sure she did medical microbiology at second degree

Lol At the bolded... I don't think diving into it is that hard cos alot of institutions offer it even teaching hospitals like UCH... That's why I said it's underrated... People don't pay attention to it
Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by bizhop01: 12:02pm On Sep 08, 2020
This are the courses nigeria really need to turn things around,
Criminology and Security Studies, Economic, Entrepreneurship, Computer Science, Agriculture,
Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by micflo28(m): 12:06pm On Sep 08, 2020
Where is the King of all courses Economics? We have the least of unemployment from statistics.
Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by Jqtyfx(m): 12:15pm On Sep 08, 2020
All good
Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by Hezmatosky: 12:24pm On Sep 08, 2020
But am a graduate of industrial Relations and personnel Management and also a chartered HRM. Where am I now? Nigeria can ruin ones dream I swear cry

2 Likes

Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by Nobody: 12:34pm On Sep 08, 2020
Hezmatosky:
But am a graduate of industrial Relations and personnel Management and also a chartered HRM. Where am I now? Nigeria can ruin ones dream I swear cry
Keep applying dear, dont give up, a great course u'v studied.

1 Like

Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by kingsolomonjnr01(m): 12:43pm On Sep 08, 2020
We're the greatest. I rep Business management.
Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by Uyi168: 12:45pm On Sep 08, 2020
kayrichy:
It could also be a pathway to studying medicine....I agree with OP on this.
Pathway to medicine,yeah.
Lucrative, nahhh

1 Like

Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by bukxy: 12:52pm On Sep 08, 2020
Eaztzide:
True
I remember when I told my parents that I registered for Computer Science in Jamb. They were just hollering that I should buy change of course form and change it instead to computer engineering due to that professional courses is seen to be the only lucrative way to financial stability. At the end, I didn't change and I can say that choosing Computer Science is one of my best decisions in life which I haven't regretted one bit.
In the end, do what your heart tells you not what people want you to.
same here o
which school did u choose?
i just can't wait for this pandemic to JP jare and everything should return to normal
Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by shegzhkn: 12:58pm On Sep 08, 2020
sherylbakky:
It's simple, because that seems to b the only option left 4 him.

from your assessment is he super smart ??
Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by abdullahi45: 1:08pm On Sep 08, 2020
Pavillon:

I'm an intern at a research institute in a west African country
I started in the clinical microbiology lab first before joining the research lab....

I have replied your pm, boss. I am happy to network.
Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by Abksiddq: 1:16pm On Sep 08, 2020
elroyale:
The world is evolving fast and likewise our needs. We seek convenience and how we can get things done faster, some job roles that were once performed by humans can now be done more efficiently with machines.

Picking a course of study in Nigeria would require you to be prospective on what would be of relevance in the coming decades in the country. There is a general notion that lucrative courses are just medicine, law and accounting, but in this article, I'll be highlighting some underrated courses in 2020 with a profitable prospect in Nigeria.

10 Lucrative Courses to study in Nigeria in 2020

Microbiology

Think about it, don't you feel there would a bit more focus on scientific research especially since the pandemic in Nigeria. Courses like Microbiology, Genetics, Biochemistry certainly have a great future ahead, so if you are considering which course to study, you can consider a course that would involve scientific research.

Public Relations

With companies and businesses in the country now concerned about brand management and online reputation management, public relation is a course that you should consider studying in Nigeria. A good number of Federal and State University offer degrees in Public relations, you can as well obtain some professionals certificates with your degree.

Agriculture

There is no need for a long talk on this, right?

Agriculture is the present and future of Nigeria's economic growth, with the increasing global population, there is an unavoidable increase in the demand for food. Courses in Agriculture would be highly needed and appreciated in the coming years.

Business Management

Running a business is said to have risks, but the risks are minimal when properly managed by the right hands. A lot of business owners are in desperate need of effective Business Managers. Business Management is a very lucrative course with its horizons in every sector of the economy in Nigeria.

Computer Science

Computer science is sometimes underrated because a lot of students do not see the bigger picture of studying the course. The world is already a digital village and those with digital knowledge runs it.

Computer science has so many fields within it but as a student considering a career in Computer science, you'll need to be clear on your aspirations and goals, you might also need to be open to learn and take professional courses to become an expert in your field.

Estate Management

Estate Management concerns the appraisal, acquisition, development, marketing and disposal of property, or sometimes the ongoing management of properties.

Real Estate is the current gold in the market sector and it is here to stay. Estate owners require efficient real estate managers to properly manage their properties. You can consider a career in real estate.

Civil Engineering

Nigeria is a developing nation and a lot of infrastructural development are going on all over the country. Civil engineering is a highly lucrative course in Nigeria, you get to be at the centre of rural to urban growth.

Mathematics and Statistics
Data analyst and Statisticians are highly sought after in the finance industry, medical industry, manufacturing industry e.t.c.
A degree in Mathematics and Statistics has a bright future for its holders if you take the right steps in becoming an expert in the field.

Human Resource Management

The Human Resource Management department ( H.R.M) or (HR) is currently one of the most important departments in every organization because it bridges the gap between employers and employees.

Every new organization would need an HR department and this is why H.R.M would still be a lucrative field in Nigeria in the next decades.

Marketing

Who wouldn't want their businesses heard by the right audience and customers?
Marketing is a profitable course with so many benefits embedded within it, you can never be wrong if you choose to study marketing in the higher institution.

A piece of candid advice is that you should consider professional skills in digital marketing alongside your degree.

Conclusion

Nigeria's education sector still has a lot in stock for the youths, recently University of Ibadan was ranked among the top 500 universities in the world, this simply shows that with more hands-on-deck we could be among the best 100 in the world.

Education is important likewise having the right industry skills is also important. The courses in this article were selected based on their current and future relevance in Nigeria as a developing nation, you can make proper research before taking any step further in choosing a course to study.

Source: https://www.basmall.com.ng/blogs/news/10-underrated-courses-in-2020-in-nigeria-with-lucrative-future-prospect

Oga add Environmental Science!

There are lots of opportunities internationally from the likes of Unicef, Unesco, WHO etc.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by toprealman: 1:17pm On Sep 08, 2020
abdullahi45:

Yes man.

Soon A.I and Robots are even gonna take many jobs, not so soon in Nigeria though...
Your head is well screwed.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by nextstep(m): 1:51pm On Sep 08, 2020
It's not by degree oh...
It's by entrepreneurship, skill, motivation, connections, and luck.
Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by elroyale(m): 1:59pm On Sep 08, 2020
Yes, employment rate is currently high.
But the truth is, these courses are really important in Nigeria's transition into a developed nation. We may not fully see their benefits now but trust me in coming years, we would appreciate professionals in those fields.

omobamatrix:
Op doesn't know these are regular courses in Nigerian universities yet the rate of unemployment is still high.
Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by Jabulany01(m): 2:04pm On Sep 08, 2020
What of fine arts, fine arts is first lucrative course in this country.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by Samcent: 2:22pm On Sep 08, 2020
abdullahi45:

I agree with the latter but not the former..

One thing people don't understand is, microbiology is the most ubiquitous discipline I have ever seen. Come to think of it, a microbiologist can decide to delve into public health, just like a medical doctor. A microbiologist can go into bioinformatics, immunology, vaccinology, biotechnology, et cetera. Not to talk about the ever-extensive branches of microbiology itself, such as water, pharmaceutical, soil, industrial, environmental, petroleum, medical, et cetera. I mean, I don't think anyone would ever regret studying microbiology, if at least the person has the right mentality and tools about opportunities around him and how to exploit them maximally.

Finally, when you study a course, don't limit it to Nigeria, please look beyond your shore, dare to change the world and get the best from whatever you study.

Disagree with this?
I agree that there are many specialization options for a microbiologist but exploring those options is easier said than done. Also, leaving the country is easier said than done for the average Nigerian.

I have a degree in microbiology with over six years experience in public health practice. I have colleagues with degrees from engineering, different science courses, arts, education etc, many of them doing very well; trust me microbiology does not give me any advantage.

The juice is not worth the squeeze!

The lecturers in the department - some are my friends - know the challenges ahead of their graduates but since they already have a job they are less bothered.

I am not here to convince anyone of anything, just airing my opinion.

Like many have noted, it's not the course you studied but the grace of God that will take one to the top.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Underrated But Lucrative Courses In Nigeria In 2020 by bobochem: 2:27pm On Sep 08, 2020
every course is lucrative if u get connection.ordinary ssce certificate is lucrative with strong connection

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Cash Prizes Sent To Winners Of The Xfire Nairaland Undergraduate Scholarship / JAMB Offices, Phone Number,address And Email In All 36 States Of Nigeria / How To Calculate Your Jamb, Post Utme, Waec/ Neco Composite

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.