Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,600 members, 7,812,958 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:49 PM

Fresh - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Fresh (352 Views)

Man Dumps His Girlfriend Of 5 Years After Discovering She Has A Secret Child / Wife Of Nigerian Doctor Arrested For Having Sex With Her Student In The U.S / Lady Lodged In Hotel By Married Man For 5 Days Threatens To Sue Him For Rape (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fresh by Queenlovely(f): 9:33am On Sep 08, 2020
Fresh
Re: Fresh by prince985(m): 9:44am On Sep 08, 2020
It's legal
Re: Fresh by lowkeybahdguy(m): 10:31am On Sep 08, 2020
Queenlovely:
a man married a lady in bauchi, runs back to bayelsa to marry a second wife , 5 months later the wife's discovered the existence of a second wife and wants to drag the husband to court, I am therefore asking if it is against the law to take a second wife?

is it the bible or the Constitution that forbids us to marry more than one wife.

according to the bible

1 Corinthians 7 and states that polygamy is unlawful; and that one man is to have but one wife, and to keep to her; and that one woman is to have but one husband, and to keep to him and the wife only has a power over the husband's body, a right to it, and may claim the use of it:

does our constitution frown on polygamy?

why then can the Muslims take four wives?

can a woman sue you for taking a second wife?

it is a criminal offence punishable with imprisonment for a man to perform a second marriage during the subsistence of his previous statutory marriage. that is the offence of bigamy.

PS. statutory and customary marriage are not the same. Polygamy is known and acceptable in our customs. therefore customary marriage allows for multiple marriages to be conducted during the subsistence of a previous customary marriage.

1 Like

Re: Fresh by Queenlovely(f): 11:35am On Sep 08, 2020
lowkeybahdguy:

it is a criminal offence punishable with imprisonment for a man to perform a second marriage during the subsistence of his previous statutory marriage. that is the offence of bigamy.

PS. statutory and customary marriage are not the same. Polygamy is known and acceptable in our customs. therefore customary marriage allows for multiple marriages to be conducted during the subsistence of a previous customary marriage.

bless you
Re: Fresh by Saintmary(f): 11:47am On Sep 08, 2020
If you married in the registry, you can't contract another marriage until you dissolve the previous one. It's bigamy, punishable by law.

(1) (Reply)

I'm AS And She Is AC, What Should I Do? / Why I Slapped Him; My Side Of The Story / Quick Help Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.