Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,620 members, 7,809,288 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:18 AM

What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? (11285 Views)

Who's Your Favourite Bible Character? / What Are Your Favourite Bible Characters? / Share Your Favourite Bible Quotes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by Exodora: 1:33pm On Sep 13, 2020
Tcwork:
Pls let me ask, was any of these translation's made by God?
Do we know the men who made these translations and do we know their standing before God?
Where is the original copy of the new testament, the words of the apostles from where they made their translations?
While translating was anything added or removed from the words of the apostles?
Finally, how do we tell which version to trust?
For you to know I suggest you to read pre-reformation history of the Bible from 1,400 B.C to 1400 A.D.
Read on : John Wycliffe ,
Johann Gutenberg - He invented the printing press in the 1450's
John Colet
Erasmus
Martin Luther and the host of others . While I was in school we read some of this cause many of them were German scholars .
For instance I studied German in the higher institution and I want to go into translation in my PhD with this I can go into translating books , music , movie and many other things .

1 Like

Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by blendz4real(m): 1:41pm On Sep 13, 2020
Exactly my view..
They have been shouting and yet nothing is changing but they won't give up. They say "a word is enough for the wise." If they think they have given the best counsel, why won't you let those whom you have counselled decide since they are adults.
Church members are tithing, pastors are becoming richer and the tithers are not complaining why won't they leave the matter. If you want to be famous must you do that at the expense of others?
Selah!
God help us and forgive us all our sins IJN.

Built2last:
Mine is NKJV

IF TITHE AND OFFERING IS THE PROBLEM! STOP PAYING!

I am appalled by the recent enormous attack on churches and pastors. Mostly by people who probably have never paid tithe or may have not given to churches in recent years. They jump on the wagon and irrationally begin to vituperate on matters they have no clue about.

People dont have food, water, electricity and no jobs, they ignore their governors, senators and FG and spend time discussing pastors and judging them on how they spend money. Politicians still your tax with brazen audacity and you do nothing. You are not a member of the churches you attack online, the pastors have never invited you, his members have not come to complain to you before, yet, you complain more than those who give in church.

My conclusion is that you are insanely frustrated and looking for where to poor it. Most Christians are on tin line between unbelief and atheism. If tithe and Offering is your problem, stop paying and serve God with all your heart and serve God truly. Focus on doing personal ministry as you ate led by God.

Jesus commanded you and I to preach the gospel and save SOULS. Can you boast of consciously preaching to anyone this year and leading them to Christ, follow up the person and ensure the person matures to become a disciple? I bet you haven't, in your myopic mind, the only people Jesus commanded to do the work is pastors. Yet, when we ask for true believers you raise your hand. Note, Go ye into the world is a command to all of us. Not a suggestion. What is stoping you from going? Stop hiding behind your keyboards to vent your frustration on pastors.

Pastors are not the reason Nigeria is not working. American pastors have more mega churches, some pastors in America have airstrip in their houses. America is working. The people face their government because they pay tax to the government. In church people wilfully give. Your frustration is that mega churches have money and are spending the money. You forgot that these churches did not become mega in 2020. These were churches started in the back side of town in the 1980s. These men, prayed, laboured, toiled, were disappointed and at some point felt like giving up. At that time, starting a church, pastors were seen as non entities. 35 years later, that little vision has grown by virtue of diligence and hard work. You throw away those years of them paying the price and type rubbish on social media. Focusing your attention on tithe and Offering.

Have you forgotten that millions of churches like them started and didn't last up to five years. Some lasted but the pastors are so indebted that they can't pay their children school fees. Not everyone will succeed in same way. I pay my tithe, give Offerings and you are more frustrated than me who is giving and not complaining. Is it your money? Have I come to beg you before? Are you normal. Pastors are not your problem or the reason for Nigeria's lack of development. You drive a good car, how come you drive a good car and there are family members yours that are trekking. There are widows and orphans in your neighbourhood. You shouldn't drive a good car. Sell it and trek to work. Give all you make to support every poor person in your family and neighbourhood. That's the kind of life you want pastors to leave and you will be happy...You won't sell your car because it makes life convenient for your work, for your family and social status. Pastors also buy these jets because it makes ministry easy for them. Some of them may need to be in 4 countries in a week preaching. Imagine queuing up in every airport and jumping connecting flights.

A jet is to a mega pastor what your mercedes is to you. It's about convenience and tool for ease of work. Get that into your head and work hard. Pray that God will bless your hustle. Learn to mind your business...

.If you feel some pastors are mismanaging their church fund, pray for them in love. God is the ultimate judge. He will test everyone's work at the end. I am not the chief registrar of heaven to know which pastors is eating church money or not. I have my own sins, that's my concern not pastors.

Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by KLand(m): 1:45pm On Sep 13, 2020
My favourite Bible version is the KJV, now upgraded to the NKJV.

That's the version I have been used to. All the Bible quotes I memorised were learnt from that version. So I have gotten used to style and language.

All though, I often make reference to other versions while doing a study, I have continued to use the NKJV as my base.
Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by MrNipplesLover(m): 1:45pm On Sep 13, 2020
The words of God can not pass without being fulfilled.

Thank you, Jehovah. ❤

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by bukatyne(f): 1:47pm On Sep 13, 2020
Youngzedd:
NIV and NLT is the best.

KJV and NKJV still remain the most terrible translation of all time. Too many errors. The guy did cut and join in there. King James aka slave master.

Someone mentions my NLT kiss

I was gifted NLT almost 20 years ago.

Since then, that has been my version of choice.
Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by ZinoFasisi: 1:49pm On Sep 13, 2020
Kalatium:
Thats my problem with Christians. Why criticise others for not using same bible as you.
You are an intolerant person.

As i point gun for him head, say make u no read anything wey him like abi
Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Sep 13, 2020
NKJV
NLT
Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by bukatyne(f): 1:55pm On Sep 13, 2020
anataala:
Mine are as follows;

1. If Jesus Is God, Why Did Jesus Never Say “I am God”? Worship me

2. If God just forgives all Christians and none of them go to hell, why would any Christian do good when they can sin all they want?

1. Christ manifested as Son of Man; He did not gone to be worshipped. He came to serve man (by His good works of healing, deliverance, restoration, salvation) and give His life as a ransom (sacrifice) for many.

2. What Bible passage is this?
Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by bukatyne(f): 2:00pm On Sep 13, 2020
Madibah:

But why did the Bible tell us Abraham has only one child when we know it's two
Ishmael and Isaac
Should I continue?

Read the whole Bible, then you will understand.
Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Sep 13, 2020
KJV remains the best, kjv is accurate and inspiring.
Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by ejimatic: 2:24pm On Sep 13, 2020
Kalatium:
My favourite bible translation is NIV due to its clarity, simplicity and also popularity.

Over to you, what's your favourite bible translation and why?
. Mine is the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures 2013 revised edition..It is simple and clear. Aditionaly modern English was used not Anglo Saxon English. and captures the thought expressed in the ancient manuscripts written in Greek Hebrew and Aramaic Languages.
Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by ejimatic: 2:24pm On Sep 13, 2020
Kalatium:
My favourite bible translation is NIV due to its clarity, simplicity and also popularity.

Over to you, what's your favourite bible translation and why?
Mine is the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures 2013 revised edition..It is simple and clear. Aditionaly modern English was used not Anglo Saxon English. and captures the thought expressed in the ancient manuscripts written in Greek Hebrew and Aramaic Languages.
Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by Oluwatosam(m): 2:26pm On Sep 13, 2020
Good news and AMP version.
I love the way they simplicficy the wordes
Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by engrchykae(m): 2:55pm On Sep 13, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:
Kjv- because it speaks to the spirit of man, who man is, not the physical (flesh) of the man, which must die because it hates God and must always hate God until it dies!

And the mere fact people do not like it because they do not understand it, Is Proof that it is speaking to the spirit, whom ye are and if you knew how to use your spirit very well, you would understand it's words.

Also you must note that Good Understanding Is Given By The Lord, it is not your own foolish understanding that you are supposed to use in reading the Bible.
they read kjv as if they are reading novel.
Anyway,the kjv is for wisemen not for kids
Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by engrchykae(m): 2:58pm On Sep 13, 2020
Sodiquinone:
The King James Version has grave defects…these defects are so many and so serious as to call for revision.
Source: Preface to the Revised Standard Version of the Bible (1971)

which defects?
They made mistake in giving out raw truth in kjv,when they realized their mistake,they brought out watered down versions that looks like novels.
If you have kjv,keep it safe,they intend to put it into extinction
Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by SonyaSpence: 3:15pm On Sep 13, 2020
anataala:
Mine are as follows;

1. If Jesus Is God, Why Did Jesus Never Say “I am God”? Worship me

2. If God just forgives all Christians and none of them go to hell, why would any Christian do good when they can sin all they want?

I believe other sincere ones would benefit from this post too.

1. Jesus never said he is God, and the bible does not call Jesus the Almighty God. Jesus is referred to as the son of God. When Jesus was speaking in John 17:3, he says everlasting life is gotten by those who come to know: (i) The Only True God and (ii) Jesus Christ, the one whom God has sent.

That shows that there is only one True God and that harmonizes with what the bible says in other parts. For example, in 1Timothy 2:3-5 - There is only one God and one mediator - Jesus Christ. Also see Hebrews 13:20 ; John 11:41,42 ; Acts 7:55,56 ;

The Bible shows the name of this true God to be Jehovah or Yahweh - Psalms 83:18, Exodus 6:2,3

2. I don't really understand your question, but these are few points that could reshape your view, and probably make you put your question in a clearer form.

(I) The bible does not teach that hell is a fiery place of torment.
The word 'Hell' as used originally in bible translations to English language stands for the common grave of mankind (i.e to symbolise where the dead are, whether good or bad) and not a fiery place of torment.
In the Hebrew scriptures, 'Sheol' in Hebrew is translated to 'Hell' in English. In the Greek scriptures, 'Hades' is the Greek word translated to 'Hell' in English.

The usage of these words in the original bible text helps us to see that Hell doesn't refer to a place of fiery torment. For example, Ecclesiastes 9:5,6,10 talks about what happens to the dead and it says there's no work, wisdom, knowledge nor devising in Sheol (translated Hell or Grave) where though goest.

When talking about how wicked ones wouldn't escape justice, in Amos 9:2 God says "If the dig into 'Sheol' " (translated Hell or Grave).

All these instances helps us to see that Hell (as used in the bible) is not a fiery place of torment but rather, its simply the grave where the dead are.

(ii) Another point that could help put your question out clearer is:
God wants people to serve him because of the love they have for him and not because they morbidly fear the punishment that results from disobeying him. - 1John 5:3

This truth was evident in Job's case, his motive for serving God was questioned by satan, but eventually it was clear that he was faithful to God because he loved God not because he was fearful of punishment or for selfish gains.

That is why God has given us free will, to decide whether to serve him and do his will or not.
He only gives us the reasons to love and serve him wholeheartedly but he doesn't force us to do so. See 1John 4:10,11 -- Revelation 4:11

So I believe with these points from God's word you'll have your questions partly if not fully answered.

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by sirnoble03: 3:32pm On Sep 13, 2020
Sodiquinone:

The scholars behind revised standard version must be very foolish to say king James has very SERIOUS errors if they only refer to old English.. They clearly mentioned that king James version has many contradictions read the preface and stop distorting facts

Let me quote an excerpt from the topic you sent

Even when the changes appear to be largely matters of English style, they have the purpose of presenting to the reader more adequately the meaning of the text (see Mt 10.8; 12.1; 15.29; 17.20; Lk 7.36; 11.17; 12.40; Jn 16.9; Rom 10.16; 1 Cor 12.24; 2 Cor 2.3; 3.5,6; etc.).

The Revised Standard Version Bible seeks to preserve all that is best in the English Bible as it has been known and used through the years.

The purpose of the translation and other translations is to help readers to comprehend better based on improvement in English or recovery of more MSS.

I challenge you to read both the KJV and the said RSV (in fact, any other translation) especially the new testament (with open mind) and tell me anywhere the original intent or motive of the speaker is distorted or abrogated.

Google the first Bible and tell me how sweet you find reading it, same with any other materials written in English then. Read William Shakespeare books and tell me how grammatically accurate they are, yet he was arguably the greatest writer of his days. If Christian refuse to revise the Bible solely because it's a Holy Book, then it's not righteousness or religion but being dogmatic and incorrigible.

Our Holy Book is inspired by the Holy Spirit but given and written in Human Languages, therefore it is subjective to been revised periodically with improvement in those languages which 2000+ years history has proven to neither distort the motive of each verse nor reduce it's power by just a bit.

I don't have time to reply your mentions but I challenge you to read the said Bible first and compare the two translations before you comment.

Also do well to check up how readable and compressive your Holy Book is in English despite the multitude of notes added in-between, probably then, you'll appreciate the accuracy of the Bible synergistically, syntactically and spiritually.

Jesus Loves You.
Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by Elineska: 3:33pm On Sep 13, 2020
Exmilitant:
NWT- New World Translation. Simple to comprehend. Any JW will understand.
They said "Bible" not some corrupted book that JW is using
Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by Janosky: 4:18pm On Sep 13, 2020
Elineska:
Matthew 6:9 NWT
"You must pray ,then, this way:
Our Father in the heavens,let your name be sanctified."

Bros, which other English Bible is as easy to understood like the NWT?
Where is the corruption you placed in it?
Or the so called 'corruption' is a figment of your imagination?
Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by Damseldammie(f): 4:20pm On Sep 13, 2020
KJV & GOOD NEWS
Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by Janosky: 4:28pm On Sep 13, 2020
sirnoble03:

Even when the changes appear to be largely matters of English style, they have the purpose of presenting to the reader more adequately the meaning of the text (see Mt 10.8; 12.1; 15.29; 17.20; Lk 7.36; 11.17; 12.40; Jn 16.9; Rom 10.16; 1 Cor 12.24; 2 Cor 2.3; 3.5,6; etc.).

The Revised Standard Version Bible seeks to preserve all that is best in the English Bible as it has been known and used through the years.

The purpose of the translation and other translations is to help readers to comprehend better based on improvement in English or recovery of more MSS.

I challenge you to read both the KJV and the said RSV (in fact, any other translation) especially the new testament (with open mind) and tell me anywhere the original intent or motive of the speaker is distorted or abrogated

Google the first Bible and tell me how sweet you find reading it, same with any other materials written in English then. Read William Shakespeare books and tell me how grammatically accurate they are, yet he was arguably the greatest writer of his days. If Christian refuse to revise the Bible solely because it's a Holy Book, then it's not righteousness or religion but being dogmatic and incorrigible.

Our Holy Book is inspired by the Holy Spirit but given and written in Human Languages, therefore it is subjective to been revised periodically with improvement in those languages which 2000+ years history has proven to neither distort the motive of each verse nor reduce it's power by just a bit.

I don't have time to reply your mentions but I challenge you to read the said Bible first and compare the two translations before you comment.

Also do well to check up how readable and compressive your Holy Book is in English despite the multitude of notes added in-between, probably then, you'll appreciate the accuracy of the Bible synergistically, syntactically and spiritually.

Jesus Loves You.

This is where other English Bible versions have remarkable advantage over the KJV.
The discovery of more MSS has resulted in a better understanding of Greek Scriptures and proper rendition of the texts into English.
For instance,we know that God's name YHWH appeared in the New Testament extensively.

3 examples But many others plenty in KJV

2 Samuel 22:6 'cords of Sheol' (RSV)
KJV 'sorrows of hell" (What a deception!)

Psalms 9:17 " wicked shall return to Sheol' (RSV)
KJV " wicked shall be turned into hell" (WAYO).
Read Psalms 6:5(KJV) to confirm 9:17 na WAYO.
grin grin

*1John5:7 "there are three that testify" (RSV)
KJV "in heaven the Father the Word and the ghost" (man made Fraud).

Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Sep 13, 2020
Elineska:

By their FRUIT you will know them! Matthew 7:16-20

Just meditate on the result of each translation in the gathering of those making use of it, then you can come out and say what is in your heart {Luke 6:45} but before you do think about Jesus' word regarding utterances against God's Holy Spirit {Matthew 12:31-32} only God's Holy Spirit can make people zealous preachers and teachers, drop all harmful weapons, become one happy family of peace loving worshipers globally, and have love amongst themselves no matter the race they may come from!
So if your translation has accomplished this then speak on against the NWT but if not, be warned you are speaking against God's Holy Spirit because all the fine works found amongst those making use of that version is speaking in volume!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by Janosky: 4:52pm On Sep 13, 2020
engrchykae:

[b]which defects?
They made mistake in giving out raw truth in kjv,[/b]when they realized their mistake,they brought out watered down versions that looks like novels.
If you have kjv,keep it safe,they intend to put it into extinction
1John5:7 Textus receptus FRAUD is your raw truth.

Ignorance is bliss grin grin grin
Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by haddeylium(m): 5:15pm On Sep 13, 2020
I use translation that gives credit to its author
Jehovah's name appears more than 7,000 times in the Bible in older manuscripts

Many Translations replaced it with LORD and most don't know God's name other than the title

I would go for NWT anyway
Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by ogunkpa: 5:16pm On Sep 13, 2020
NIV very easy to understand, even the children love it too

Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by MasterQim(m): 5:40pm On Sep 13, 2020
So many versions of the Bible in circulation. Why won't there be contradictions?
Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by engrchykae(m): 5:51pm On Sep 13, 2020
Janosky:

1John5:7 Textus receptus FRAUD is your raw truth.

Ignorance is bliss grin grin grin
and so?
Is it false?
The father,the son and the spirit are one.
Horus,isis and Osiris are one also.
Marduk, Nebo and Ishtar are one.
Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Sep 13, 2020
MasterQim:
So many versions of the Bible in circulation. Why won't there be contradictions?

Of all these translations/versions only one could be trusted as a teacher of PEACE!

All other versions are just for teachings yielding no positivity.

Only believers of the NWT can be spoken of in all the earth as one big and happy family of peace loving worshipers, who will never lift up weapons against their fellowman for any reason whatsoever! Isaiah 2:2-4 compare to Matthew 26:52

The rest are mistranslations, so you can't see any group that could be presented as students of any other version except the NWT the version that JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES the most Peaceful group on this planet are using!

All the children brought up with the teachings of the NWT will never take up weapons to kill anybody! Micah 4:1-3

Jesus said "BY THEIR FRUIT YOU WILL IDENTIFY THEM"

Please ask them to present the students that passed out from the schools using other versions! Matthew 5:13-16; Act 1:8 smiley
Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by Exmilitant(m): 6:00pm On Sep 13, 2020
Elineska:
shut up!

Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Sep 13, 2020
sirnoble03:

I challenge you to read both the KJV and the said RSV (in fact, any other translation) especially the new testament (with open mind) and tell me anywhere the original intent or motive of the speaker is distorted or abrogated.

Jesus Loves You.

Yet the King James Version has grave defects. By the middle of the nineteenth century, the development of Biblical studies and the discovery of many manu­scripts more ancient than those upon which the King James Version was based, made it manifest that these defects are so many and so serious as to call for revision of the English translation.......this is talking abt the manuscript king James was based upon ,it goes beyond rendering it to modern English,,, u need to study the history of ur bible and be sincere with yourself
Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by ABCthings: 6:51pm On Sep 13, 2020
Tcwork:
Lol like u even know what the dead sea scrolls contain.
The dead sea scrolls do not contain the new testament my brother.
I don't know why I have this feeling that you have never practiced what you are preaching.
Please tell me did you go to isreal? And what was the outcome of your translation.
Do some resaerch quote author=ABCthings post=93874720] It a free world. Go to Israel, look for the dead sea scrolls(Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic) and do your own translation. Case Locked.
I'm I the one complaining about the existing translation?
Re: What's Your Favourite Bible Translation And Why? by Bejusttoall: 7:04pm On Sep 13, 2020
New Living Translation. NLT. I love it because of its simplicity

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Leaders Not Thinking Sacrifice But Survival — Sam Adeyemi / An Open Letter To Hot Blooded Young Men - Paul Ellis / Weekly Watchtower Study Edition Discussion Trend, For JW (JW Only)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.