Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,139 members, 7,818,430 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:24 PM

Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? (1555 Views)

Guys Please Can You Help Me Interprete This Cos I Don't Understand / Stop Having Sex In The Dark - Patience Akpabio Tells Couples / Taiwo And Kehinde Olateju Twins: Albino And Dark Twins (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by Hopefulone: 8:41pm On Sep 13, 2020
Hello everyone. I’m sorry this is a bit lengthy. I need urgent help and I hope you read through.

I’m a student in one of the universities in the south-west. Ever since I came back home since the corona virus thing started, I cannot point to one single thing that I have achieved in my life. Late last year, I got to know about my HIV-positive status. I am not a loose person at all, my only mistake was trusting a friend. I won’t lie, the whole thing affected me. When I wasn’t drinking, I was sleeping. It was really hard for me to deal with what everything that was going on. Before I knew it, I would have flashes of mixing bleach or sniper with a drink and killing myself. Whenever I was in a bus going somewhere, I created different scenarios of an accident happening that would lead to my death. I started cutting myself at some point because I could not feel anything. I don’t know how to explain the whole thing in detail. I just generally felt like I was floating through life.

The corona ish has made everything worse. Since March that I have been at home, I have cut off friends and just distanced myself from people. I stay with my dad alone and even though we have a relatively good relationship, I can’t bring myself to share stuff with him. Once, he noticed a cut on my wrist and I explained it away as an accident. I have lost faith in people and my dad is the only reason why I haven’t found the strength to end it all. I feel like I am slowly drifting away. I am unable to sleep at nights, I have issues with recollecting things or events and I have a persistent headache that never goes away. I know there is something wrong with me but I don’t know what it is. I hope that someone can know someone or something that can take me out of this very dark place.

It took a whole lot of strength for me to type this. Please, I beg you in the name of God, go easy on me with the insults. I had to create a new account because of the sensitivity of this post.

1 Like

Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by MrBrownJay1(m): 8:49pm On Sep 13, 2020
You have to focus on the positive things in your life... some people have been HIV+ for more than 25yrs, and are still healthy today, so stop thinking that it's the end, and instead enjoy life fully with no regrets.

Just make sure you are on the right ARVS, and live on...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by Foodqueen(f): 8:56pm On Sep 13, 2020
It's not the end. Live and love yourself.

3 Likes

Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by dingbang(m): 8:57pm On Sep 13, 2020
cool
Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by GboyegaD(m): 8:59pm On Sep 13, 2020
One of the things I can advice is that you stay positive. Your HIV status is no longer news to you and the good side is that there are drugs to manage it. Be true to yourself, open up to your dad and seek the help of a counselor or psychologist.

4 Likes

Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by Geestarry(f): 9:00pm On Sep 13, 2020
I can only pray that you find hope in the assurance that Christ gives. God loves you so much and God's words have the ability to help you align your identity in Christ. This is where you are strengthened to live beyond worries. If you don't mind, I'd like to send you a private message.

4 Likes

Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by ojun50(m): 9:03pm On Sep 13, 2020
Three tins I can only tell you
1.. Love ur self
2.. Never let the word of God depart from you
3.. Lastly always love ur self...... I repeat always love ur self

2 Likes

Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by Noloss(f): 9:17pm On Sep 13, 2020
Have you tried Jesus? Matt 11:28

says come unto me all ye that labour and are heavy laden and He'll give you rest.
Don't give up on yourself, there's light at the end of tunnels.

Confess your sins unto him and invite him to take charge of your situation. You'll have instantaneous peace and He'll direct your way.

6 Likes

Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by Vyzz: 9:18pm On Sep 13, 2020
I don't know why u torment your self....

Those your dad knows that u are positive...

Calm down HIV isn't a death sentence....

2 Likes

Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by Hopefulone: 9:27pm On Sep 13, 2020
Thank you. I really appreciate all the kind words and suggestions
Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by Hopefulone: 9:28pm On Sep 13, 2020
Vyzz:

Yes, he recently got to know

1 Like

Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by Hopefulone: 9:29pm On Sep 13, 2020
GboyegaD:
One of the things I can advice is that you stay positive. Your HIV status is no longer news to you and the good side is that there are drugs to manage it. Be true to yourself, open up to your dad and seek the help of a counselor or psychologist.

Thank you so much. Please do you know of any I can speak to? I'd be glad
Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by Vyzz: 9:30pm On Sep 13, 2020
Hopefulone:

Yes, he recently got to know

Then there is no reason for u to be afraid na...

You are still quite durable....

Na me sef wey person dream of say En go die suppose the complain sef?

1 Like

Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by DontBullshitMe: 9:34pm On Sep 13, 2020
Your gender is even unknown.
Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by pulsatingpen: 9:40pm On Sep 13, 2020
Hopefulone:

I don't know of specific persons but I know of a youth group who can link you to a support group. They can also refer you to a centre where you can access psychologists and psychiatrists at no costs.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by Richy4(m): 9:46pm On Sep 13, 2020
The isolation kills more than the virus.. Hiv is no longer a death sentence.. looks for a therapist dear or Corp members that learned about Hiv in camp.. they will help u and also make your dad to understand..
Your dad will panic at first.. that's why I said u should look for someone that will guide you people through this...

1 Like

Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by Hopefulone: 9:48pm On Sep 13, 2020
DontBullshitMe:
Your gender is even unknown.

I'm a guy
Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by HarunaWest(m): 9:52pm On Sep 13, 2020
Hopefulone:
Hello everyone. I’m sorry this is a bit lengthy. I need urgent help and I hope you read through.

I’m a student in one of the universities in the south-west. Ever since I came back home since the corona virus thing started, I cannot point to one single thing that I have achieved in my life. Late last year, I got to know about my HIV-positive status. I am not a loose person at all, my only mistake was trusting a friend. I won’t lie, the whole thing affected me. When I wasn’t drinking, I was sleeping. It was really hard for me to deal with what everything that was going on. Before I knew it, I would have flashes of mixing bleach or sniper with a drink and killing myself. Whenever I was in a bus going somewhere, I created different scenarios of an accident happening that would lead to my death. I started cutting myself at some point because I could not feel anything. I don’t know how to explain the whole thing in detail. I just generally felt like I was floating through life.

The corona ish has made everything worse. Since March that I have been at home, I have cut off friends and just distanced myself from people. I stay with my dad alone and even though we have a relatively good relationship, I can’t bring myself to share stuff with him. Once, he noticed a cut on my wrist and I explained it away as an accident. I have lost faith in people and my dad is the only reason why I haven’t found the strength to end it all. I feel like I am slowly drifting away. I am unable to sleep at nights, I have issues with recollecting things or events and I have a persistent headache that never goes away. I know there is something wrong with me but I don’t know what it is. I hope that someone can know someone or something that can take me out of this very dark place.

It took a whole lot of strength for me to type this. Please, I beg you in the name of God, go easy on me with the insults. I had to create a new account because of the sensitivity of this post.
You have to understand that all die na die... So don't get scared of death.. Just last weekend, we buried my friends mum.. Hale, young and hearty.. She just slept and didn't wake up..
Life is meant to be enjoyed not suffered. Clear your head.. School resumes soon..Track your health progress, when it's time for ARV, you commence treatment. The number of people with HIV in naija is shocking... Visit any heart to heart center then you wud understand...... One quick question?
What steps did you take against the chick that infected you?

1 Like

Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by Hopefulone: 9:56pm On Sep 13, 2020
Vyzz:

It's not just about being positive; I've been taking my drugs. I can't explain how low I have descended. I have hot flashes and weeping spells sometimes. My body is always tired even if my mind wants to do something. I have virtually lost interest in everything. I can't place what exactly is going on with me.
Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by WinkWrld: 11:12pm On Sep 13, 2020
Its a phase, it will pass, you will feel very upset with yourself and then it gradually wears out. Just keep to ur treatment.
Your status shouldnt limit you anyway. Keep focus on ur goals and pursue them vigorusly.
Get someone u can speak to anytime u feel down low.
Las las.. You will be fine...
Most importantly, keep close to God.
Really, what is your fear now?
Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by GboyegaD(m): 1:54am On Sep 14, 2020
Hopefulone:

You may want to approach the teaching hospital in your state for a start. Make friends and live life again.

I read some of your post and it seems you really need all the support you can get. My advise, should school resume before you get yourself together, please take the semester of so as not to complicate things.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by dahmie2013: 7:44am On Sep 14, 2020
I don't know your faith, but if you are a Christian, please read books, especially godly ones. This will help transform and renew your mind.

God heals people from HIV. Don't accept it as your status, fight & defeat that nonsense.
Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by Columbine(m): 8:30am On Sep 14, 2020
most people who die of the disease are peeps who become aware of their status, those who aren't aware look healthy until the latter stages.

There's what we call mental health, if you can fight off the fear and negative mindset you'll live a normal life and you can do that by not isolating yourself, stop condemning yourself, be social! go online and read up about HIV+ people living life to the fullest and draw motivation from them.

The battle is in your mind, change your mindset! don't ever think of retaliating, you'll end up hurting yourself the more.

Remember, don't isolate yourself, don't give the devil an opportunity!
Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by UDUJ(m): 8:38am On Sep 14, 2020
Op please stop being depressed. HIV is no more the death sentence it used to be in the past. As long as you continue taking your drugs and maintaining a healthy lifestyle ( no smoking, excessive drinking ) and start engaging in physical exercise daily to help with your mood. I recommend jogging for at least 30 minutes each day.

Cheer up and stop worrying. There are people that have been living with the disease for over 10 years and they look healthy because they take their drugs and live a clean life.

1 Like

Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by CAPSLOCKED: 9:11am On Sep 14, 2020
Noloss:
Have you tried Jesus? Matt 11:28

says come unto me all ye that labour and are heavy laden and He'll give you rest.
Don't give up on yourself, there's light at the end of tunnels.

Confess your sins unto him and invite him to take charge of your situation. You'll have instantaneous peace and He'll direct your way.

THIS NEVER HELPS, I'M SORRY.

4 Likes

Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by Sollykay41(m): 11:34am On Sep 14, 2020
Many people up there have given you the vital help you need. But all i want you to know is that if you are a Christian, you are not out of touch by the devil. So instead of murmuring, talk to this God who created you and trust in Him to do His will in your life. Read the Word daily to gain more strength and trust and obey His Word. There is nothing impossible for Him to handle even at the point of death! I pray your faith will not fail and He will heal you by His resurrection power!
Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by Mindlog: 11:56am On Sep 14, 2020
Cutting of self, kind of create a sense of having control over emotional pain for some people who are living with some forms of mental health issues though it is self-harming but makes them "feel good" for the meantime as it makes them feel numbed to their emotional pain. Cutting of self is an indication of an underlying mental health issue and an unhealthy coping skill.

OP, I will encourage you to share what you are going through with your father though he may not be understanding but you need his support.

You need to see a psychotherapist and from your first session, if there is an indication of clinical depression then there is need for referral to a psychiatrist who would diagnose and prescribe medication. Whether there is need for medication or not, make sure you are engaged in talk therapy sessions.

Please make sure you on antiretroviral medication and highly adhere to it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by Hopefulone: 1:31pm On Sep 14, 2020
HarunaWest:

You have to understand that all die na die... So don't get scared of death.. Just last weekend, we buried my friends mum.. Hale, young and hearty.. She just slept and didn't wake up..
Life is meant to be enjoyed not suffered. Clear your head.. School resumes soon..Track your health progress, when it's time for ARV, you commence treatment. The number of people with HIV in naija is shocking... Visit any heart to heart center then you wud understand...... One quick question?
What steps did you take against the chick that infected you?

Thank you. I really could not do anything. Our relationship is just strained
Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by Hopefulone: 1:33pm On Sep 14, 2020
GboyegaD:

You may want to approach the teaching hospital in your state for a start. Make friends and live life again.

I read some of your post and it seems you really need all the support you can get. My advise, should school resume before you get yourself together, please take the semester of so as not to complicate things.

Sure, I'll look into deferring for a year if need be. I really appreciate this
Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by Hopefulone: 1:36pm On Sep 14, 2020
dahmie2013:
I don't know your faith, but if you are a Christian, please read books, especially godly ones. This will help transform and renew your mind.

God heals people from HIV. Don't accept it as your status, fight & defeat that nonsense.

I am a Christian. Although my present state has affected my faith, I also need a practical approach. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by Hopefulone: 1:40pm On Sep 14, 2020
Mindlog:
Cutting of self, kind of create a sense of having control over emotional pain for some people who are living with some forms of mental health issues though it is self-harming but makes them "feel good" for the meantime as it makes them feel numbed to their emotional pain. Cutting of self is an indication of an underlying mental health issue and an unhealthy coping skill.

OP, I will encourage you to share what you are going through with your father though he may not be understanding but you need his support.

You need to see a psychotherapist and from your first session, if there is an indication of clinical depression then there is need for referral to a psychiatrist who would diagnose and prescribe medication. Whether there is need for medication or not, make sure you are engaged in talk therapy sessions.

Please make sure you on antiretroviral medication and highly adhere to it

I am trying to save my dad from whatever hurt I'm feeling. He doesn't deserve this. Hopefully, I'll summon enough courage to share with him in the coming days.
Thank you so much for these practical tips

1 Like

Re: Can You Help Me Out Of This Dark Place? Anyone? by Hopefulone: 1:40pm On Sep 14, 2020
I'm touched by the gesture of Nairalanders who have reached out to me even though I may not be able to respond to some because I cherish my anonymity for now. Meanwhile, I called one of the numbers on the picture shared by pulsatingpen and I have been referred to a centre where I can meet with a psychologist. I have also been added to a support group pending when I visit the centre later in the week.

I should say that I am overwhelmed by the love and concern. May the gift of men never be far away from us all. I hope to come back here in future and look at how far I have come.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? / Wife Slaps Husband. Should He Retaliate? / Don't Throw Babies In The Air, Or Else: !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.