Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,341 members, 7,819,203 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:41 PM

Did You Know Of Benin - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Did You Know Of Benin (4197 Views)

Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, His Wives And Children In Cute Family Photo / Ezelekhae Ewuare: The Crown Prince Of Benin Kingdom Unveiled In Edo (Photos) / Oba Of Benin And His Luxury Rolls Royce Spotted At An Event In Edo State. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did You Know Of Benin by Simbrixton(m): 4:44pm On Oct 07, 2023
Evboesi:
nor be me talk am o, the first one from a Bini dictionary in 1937

The second was bradbury’s work in the 50s

You can hear from Areafada’s conversation above and deep wisdom, he is certainly a man in his mid fifties and above. Determination of state and nationhood changed a lot of things. The pulling out of the Oba of Benin from the western region also led to many returns my friend from the minute tribe

I mean they are still there, but not as much as they used to be, Egharevba grew up in eastern Yoruba land.
it is interesting you say this because i fully believe Ologbo and other itsekiri communities like Ajamimogba ekenhuan to name a few should be part of delta state

Obviously the ijaw and urhobo communities can also not be discounted and obviously recently the igbos visited the 8 villages in orhionwon

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub1zAryVFVM?si=8eDjFj0nw_FWilV3
Re: Did You Know Of Benin by Evboesi: 5:22pm On Oct 07, 2023
Simbrixton:
it is interesting you say this because i fully believe Ologbo and other itsekiri communities like Ajamimogba ekenhuan to name a few should be part of delta state

Obviously the ijaw and urhobo communities can also not be discounted and obviously recently the igbos visited the 8 villages in orhionwon

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub1zAryVFVM?si=8eDjFj0nw_FWilV3
my brother from the minute tribe, you can’t just believe nonsense, there has to be historical antecedents to it, Gelegele, Siluko, Ekehuan are Edo villages historically, My brother if you start to dae give land to anybody wey come settle for your place wey he many, my brother your land go finish o. The Benin massacre by Alex masxwell Boisragon page 72 confirm the fact that even as close as 1897, Gele Gele was still considered a Bini village, the Europeans knowing solidly the difference between Ijaws and Bini. Isiluko on the other hand can only be interpreted by the Binis, the same with Ekehuan. Even Ologbo is a Bini community and still has large number of Binis even till date. Ajamimogha is a small place and it is exclusively itsekiri, she can go

Like i said, those Binis did not take their land with them, many left the land for the Yorubas, they are free to migrate back to their place and leave our land.

There is no Urhobo community in Edo state, Ijaws on the other hand are free to leave with their communities that were not founded by the Binis.

Those eight “villages” are quarters of one community called Igbanke. Igbanke is the third largest community in that local government subordinate to Urhonigbe and Oza~Aibiokunla. Igbanke being in Edo state is Ogbemudia’s handiwork. I support their partitioning to Delta state if they wholeheartedly support it.

I also would wish for the partitioning of Oza~nogogo, Alilehan, Alisor to Edo state. They speak a dialect of Edo or the Bini language called Oza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sWKmIKBg5c?si=d_wB0Ti7gZtJ1Jos

1 Like

Re: Did You Know Of Benin by Simbrixton(m): 5:07am On Oct 08, 2023
Evboesi:
my brother from the minute tribe, you can’t just believe nonsense, there has to be historical antecedents to it, Gelegele, Siluko, Ekehuan are Edo villages historically, My brother if you start to dae give land to anybody wey come settle for your place wey he many, my brother your land go finish o. The Benin massacre by Alex masxwell Boisragon page 72 confirm the fact that even as close as 1897, Gele Gele was still considered a Bini village, the Europeans knowing solidly the difference between Ijaws and Bini. Isiluko on the other hand can only be interpreted by the Binis, the same with Ekehuan. Even Ologbo is a Bini community and still has large number of Binis even till date. Ajamimogha is a small place and it is exclusively itsekiri, she can go

Like i said, those Binis did not take their land with them, many left the land for the Yorubas, they are free to migrate back to their place and leave our land.

There is no Urhobo community in Edo state, Ijaws on the other hand are free to leave with their communities that were not founded by the Binis.

Those eight “villages” are quarters of one community called Igbanke. Igbanke is the third largest community in that local government subordinate to Urhonigbe and Oza~Aibiokunla. Igbanke being in Edo state is Ogbemudia’s handiwork. I support their partitioning to Delta state if they wholeheartedly support it.

I also would wish for the partitioning of Oza~nogogo, Alilehan, Alisor to Edo state. They speak a dialect of Edo or the Bini language called Oza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sWKmIKBg5c?si=d_wB0Ti7gZtJ1Jos
but even for your reply you can clearly see Ologbo is itsekiri land

The history of how this land was given to the ikaye is not to be disputed

There was never an enogie in ologbo b4 the 90s

We may have not seen the end of the issue but i am glad the oil companies recognise itsekiri in their dealings at least that is a start

My brother later

1 Like

Re: Did You Know Of Benin by Evboesi: 6:38am On Oct 08, 2023
Simbrixton:

We may have not seen the end of the issue but i am glad the oil companies recognise itsekiri in their dealings at least that is a start

My brother later
in all your getting, get education, in a bid for desperation, you sound uneducated, there are communities speaking Benin alone that got their enogie that same year, in fact in that year five communities got their enogie in 1988 the same year ologbo got theirs.

If the Oil companies in Ologbo recognize itsekiri as whatsoever, i don’t have any fact on that, i can’t play into your hands, there are several versions of this history and there are thousands of Binis who call Ologbo home and nowhere else. That is what matter to us, you cannot take their land anywhere, they will rather die than have that happen.

The material never talked about an itsekiri ownership of Ologbo, it talked about the fact that there are itsekiri waterside villages after ologbo. There is a comma after ologbo,and there is and

“South of Benin city was the Benin sapele road which passed through Ologbo, and Itsekiri waterside villages

3 Likes

Re: Did You Know Of Benin by Dancebreaker: 10:53am On Oct 09, 2023
Evboesi:
in all your getting, get education, in a bid for desperation, you sound uneducated, there are communities speaking Benin alone that got their enogie that same year, in fact in that year five communities got their enogie in 1988 the same year ologbo got theirs.

If the Oil companies in Ologbo recognize itsekiri as whatsoever, i don’t have any fact on that, i can’t play into your hands, there are several versions of this history and there are thousands of Binis who call Ologbo home and nowhere else. That is what matter to us, you cannot take their land anywhere, they will rather die than have that happen.

The material never talked about an itsekiri ownership of Ologbo, it talked about the fact that there are itsekiri waterside villages after ologbo. There is a comma after ologbo,and there is and

“South of Benin city was the Benin sapele road which passed through Ologbo, and Itsekiri waterside villages
Nor mind that guy. I physically knew Ologbo well enough before HRH Dr. Ekiawogho Akenzua was made Enogie. The Oba can today appoint any prince of his choice to become the enogie of any community he feels needs that kind of leadership. At his own discretion only.

There are many villages that have no Enogie till today. But virtually every Village has an Odionwere. Even the first leaders in Benin were Odionweres. Oba/king came later as society developed, expanded and needed a more central power.
According to history, even the first Ogiso was formerly an Odionwere.

Some villages were previously not large enough to warrant an Enogie. Others were strategic in the service or product they rendered to the kingdom that the palace wanted a more direct control through the Odionwere. Additionally, some communities had an Ohen or Priest/Chief Priest which the Oba appointed and some hereditary but confirmed each time by the palace. That provided enough leadership.

Udo community has an Iyase and Uwangue as deputy. It has no Enogie. Though the Iyase act as a quasi-Enogie, but strictly speaking he is not an Enogie and not a member of Enigie conference. This has been the case since the demise of Arhuaran, the giant Benin prince and last substantive Enogie/duke of Udo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did You Know Of Benin by Ologbo147: 7:49am On Oct 11, 2023
ShortBiscuit:

UZEBU
below is a screen shot of page 164 of "the benin city pilgrimage " written by Aisien Ekhaguosa also blessed memory i think you should read and digest yourself

Now to conclude benin oral traditions talk about a physician that helped oba esigie when he had problems with his sight

This physician was also from Ijebu.
it seem to be clear now that Uzebu was founded by an Ijebu person, oral traditions of Benin would tell you that this physician founded Uzebu. Just the way settlement in Lagos were founded by Bini/Edo migrants. And the relics are also there to prove so.

But this very stool of Ezomo is from Esan, Ewohimi to be precise, and it is an hereditary stool. It was made an hereditary stool by Oba Akenzua 1. I will be furnishing you with sufficient facts, first the video of late pa Edebiri that you quoted earlier on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZQZl-yyNqE?si=GKOibJJFM8xNQ41C

Time stamp: 8:54-9-45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LCaxmPdxQU?si=xcDO0rIRCJPaukIJ

That is the sixth salutation there

The first screenshot is from scholes,

The second is the military system of Benin kingdom,1440~1897 page 151 by professor Benson Osadolor

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did You Know Of Benin by darfay: 6:35pm On Oct 12, 2023
Evboesi:
if any body is talking, a man from a tribe that was 34,000 in 1952 should not be talking about size. Among all Edoid groups, Itsekiri would only be mate with Uneme and Okpamheri. In that very year Etsako was 88 thousand, Esan was 180,000. Even Owan was 48 thousand. Bini was 203,000 in population in that year. Isoko was 74,000.

In 1963, when the Nigeria factor came into play, itsekiri being an affiliate of a major group rose 300% on paper to 100,000 while other substantially bigger minority group with no affiliation to any major group for the 11 years did not give birth, did not impregnate their wives. Even when they get pregnant, they take them for abortion. And as such their population rose 20% others 50% greatly quickly defying the transparent census order that has been on board from 1921.

We know these things we are not dumb, the Edos are arguably the most enlightened tribe in the southern part of Nigeria. In Edo and Delta state, aside uneme and maybe Okpamheri, the Itsekiris are definitely the smallest tribe in the whole of the bendel region. The Binis were five times bigger than you guys in 1952, we are still over four times today. We are not your mate in whatever statistics. Itsekiris would just be the size of Binis from Orhiowmon home and abroad

Can you please sent a link to the image attached
Re: Did You Know Of Benin by Okada691: 1:52am On Oct 13, 2023
ShortBiscuit:

EDEBIRI
Just to corroborate what simbrixton said above Late pa david edebiri was talking about his own family ancestry you dont need to be a historian for that, the only issue here is he did not lie and you are finding it hard to come to terms with that indeed the entire Ihogbe are members of the Oba family and they spoke a language called urhuazenomo (the language spoken to omo)

do you have any proof of this Urhunazenomo or it is just one of the tales of Miletus flying around

2 Likes

Re: Did You Know Of Benin by NigerDeltaMP: 7:54pm On Oct 13, 2023
Simbrixton:
over 50 percent of binis are actually of yoruba origin my grouse is more should be done to bring this people closer home

The people of usen for example are undeniably yoruba ufe kekere which was founded b4 the coming of Oranmiyan is a point of dispersal to many other villages in ovia south west and ovia north east like
Iguogho the ancestral home of asoro
Utese
Ugu who have an Oba called Oba n'ugu
Egbetta which was settled by 600 warriors
Okada also called oke ada
Madabayo
Ulorin and many more

Within benin itself those of pure ife ancestry greet La uhe one of them obviously is the family of the late esogban of benin edebiri
The Adun family which is very famous in benin
Osifo family okundaye Obasahon families these families are collectively known as igiogbe

The importance of the ogbe and uzebu quarters in benin cannot be overemphasized as well as the yoruba origin of this places

The ihogbe (official family of the oba) are for example from the ogbe quarter which is obviously headed by the isekhure the first son of the ihama

Not to forget oloton and chief edigin of use and obviously the bamawos( bamiwo family)

You've said it all. You're very correct on this one

2 Likes

Re: Did You Know Of Benin by Ologbo147: 4:41am On Oct 14, 2023
[sub][/sub]
NigerDeltaMP:

You've said it all. You're very correct on this one
you are echoeing ignorance,

Go and read the linguistic status of Usen that was referred to me here by your brother by amenze ogbeifun. The total cognacy count between Usen and far flung standard Yoruba is 69.3 percent while that of Edo language and the Usen dialect is 16.5 percent . What should that tell you we are not the same people. We have some Binis that are Yoruba by ancestry but they are no means beyond ten percent. Language is the greatest deciding factor for relationships, till date Bini still sound like Swahili to you guys.

In Ovia, Usen is not among the first four biggest Bini towns, In terms of population, Okada,Iguobazuwa, Ekiadolor and Udo will take preeminence before Usen.

Okada was estimated to be 78 thousand in 2011, Iguobazuwa was 21,000 in 1991 census, Udo was estimated to be 15,000 in 2001. Ekiadolor is a big place , it’s two times or more bigger than Usen presently.

In the entire Benin land, these communities will take preeminence before Usen
Urhonigbe
Okada
Oza Aibiokunla
Abudu
Iguobazuwa
Ekiadolor
Udo
Ehor are all bigger than Usen.

Usen is just mere sixteen kilometers square of land.

And it’s population even till today is not more than 30,000

Almost all the families of the ihogbe you mentioned there belongs to one or two larger family which would be la~uhe and la~umogun. That’s just two families out of the the seventy four. How does bringing them out little by little substantiate your point. You know how many of those sub families exist in Benin? It’s over 2000. But they can further be subsumed into larger seventy four families.

And also it depends on the size of the families, the Ezomo’n’uzebu which is traced to Esan is the largest single family after la~ovbieze which is not directed to one source. You see an individual from this family fifteen times or more before you get one from oloton.

Lastly, the density on the eastern part of Benin is far more than that on the west. On the east, you get sizeable sizeable villages which are majorly indigenous and nothing fuels their population. I can safely tell you that 25 percent of all Binis be it the ones in the diaspora, in Benin city, anywhere else are from Orhiowmon alone

The first one is the the Benin kingdom and the Edo speaking people of southwestern Nigeria by Bradbury, page 19

Ethnobotanical survey of medicinal plants used for traditional reproductive care by Usen people of Edo state Nigeria by Ogwu M.C
Osawaru M.E, Obahiagbon G.E

The third screenshot is Ambivalent sounds in Usen by Ikhiwmin Gladys Amenze

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did You Know Of Benin by Evboesi: 5:32am On Oct 14, 2023
darfay:

Can you please sent a link to the image attached

Re: Did You Know Of Benin by OVB123: 11:19am On Apr 20
Simbrixton:

My brother later
Who gave them the land to stay, is the Lord of the land and that is Oba of Benin.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

End Of An Empire / This Jewellery Is Used By Most Tribes For Adornment / Where Did The Yoruba People Really Come From ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.