Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,778 members, 7,817,213 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:17 AM

Did You Know Of Benin - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Did You Know Of Benin (4188 Views)

Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, His Wives And Children In Cute Family Photo / Ezelekhae Ewuare: The Crown Prince Of Benin Kingdom Unveiled In Edo (Photos) / Oba Of Benin And His Luxury Rolls Royce Spotted At An Event In Edo State. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did You Know Of Benin by thomasjoe(m): 2:56am On Aug 27, 2023
gregyboy:
[/b]

Doesnt also change the fact that all your life studying on the history is correct

Benin had so many parable, relating to the heavenly beigns, but those were myth

benin used to leave in different segmented settlement before oba eweka united all the settlement as one, maybe those various rulers were nickname ogiso sky kings but the emerge of eweka who probably was still an ogiso himself wared, with other ogiso and defeated them and formed a bigger
Which probably emerged a new dynasty called oba
This is the possible explanations if indeed the ogiso did exist which i doubt because no evidence to than oral accounts,

It could also be those ogiso kings were called oba and not ogiso like what we are being told [b]obagodo
were word coined recently, to attack the yorubas , but one thing i know is if indeed ogiso existed and eweka displaced them, definitely eweka was never from any Yoruba land

Start your benin research history from there, the problem with most of you is you so much believe oral accounts and you read not evaluate but believe as longs as it appeals to your like then it must be truth.....

This screenshot was done in 1969 in relation of what you heard from elders in the 70s

Am not impressed the way you tell history, your knowledge on benin history is too dogmatic

Ogiso Dynasty ended with Ogiso Owodo...with the interregnum of Ogieame and Evian . This cumulated into the arrival of the Oba Dynasty .

Hope this helps ?
Re: Did You Know Of Benin by thomasjoe(m): 3:05am On Aug 27, 2023
Agbado was indeed the first market but was once plagued by the Osogan monster which made it get its name "Agbado" meaning we go together but may not return together (as the Osogan monster often showed up and took people from the market ....this monster was later killed by Evian. There is a statue to commemorate this at Ramat park towards Guinness in Oregbeni Quarters (ikpoba hill).
Re: Did You Know Of Benin by thomasjoe(m): 3:16am On Aug 27, 2023
gregyboy:

You believe sky kings came from sky and ruled edos....

Yes they did . Hence their names Ogiso . ogie =sky ,iso =king.

The world as we know it now wasn't always populated by humans only ...there were other beigns more advanced (eg some traces of this can be found in the Christain Bible :- the books of Numbers and Genesis chapter 6 :1-4 called the Nephilims).
Some of these advanced beings built the Stonehenge, sphinx etc . You can Google "moai" on Rapanui or Easter island to get a glimpse of some statues they left there which are still there till date .
However , civilizations rise and fall and these begins have since moved on.

What becomes history is a result of documented oral accounts .
I don't think it will be wise to quarrel or argue with anyone on what you know and they refuse to accept. We are all entitled to our opinions
Remain blessed ๐Ÿ™
Re: Did You Know Of Benin by thomasjoe(m): 3:30am On Aug 27, 2023
gregyboy:

Igbise yor,

But i still want you to bring prove they existed even if you have non now, i will be waiting,

Facts change what we once believed, but if you dont have solid prove to their existence then read more on benin history,

They are some mistakes you made up there on your write up i decided to let it slip because i understand it was copy and paste

Am a researcher on benin history, i plan to visit the palace too someday to place our history more accurately and deviod of myth....

You seemed to have read along the pages of Ring Loth and Bradbury's Benin accounts which were told to them orally and later got published...
Isn't it funny that you will rather hinge all your arguments on these foreigners who wrote the accounts of what they were told instead of listening to the inhabitants of the place in question ...?
Re: Did You Know Of Benin by UMUAZEE: 11:51pm On Aug 27, 2023
AreaFada2:

Ovbie Eweka n'okaro me khin. Rumwunda Ozolua n'iboromi Ero bie Ogie Ogho ne Edo n'ekue tiere Owo. Oba Esigie ero bie Ogie Ukpele, no vbe sike Owo.

Lamogun ma tue vbe owie. Ovbie Umogun. Ivbioba hia ke Egbe Eweka n'okaro gha de hia.

Ovbie Enogie Edo vbe khin. Eseserese Edo.

Eguae Enogie erha ima n'okhua ere Ina ka mien okoro Solomon Aiguobasimwin vbe ore re Edaiken. Okoro no ghi do rie Erediauwa vb'Edo.
Re: Did You Know Of Benin by UMUAZEE: 11:51pm On Aug 27, 2023
AreaFada2:

Ovbie Eweka n'okaro me khin. Rumwunda Ozolua n'iboromi Ero bie Ogie Ogho ne Edo n'ekue tiere Owo. Oba Esigie ero bie Ogie Ukpele, no vbe sike Owo.

Lamogun ma tue vbe owie. Ovbie Umogun. Ivbioba hia ke Egbe Eweka n'okaro gha de hia.

Eguae Enogie erha ima n'okhua ere Ina ka mien okoro Solomon Aiguobasimwin vbe ore re Edaiken. Okoro no ghi do rie Erediauwa vb'Edo.

grin
Re: Did You Know Of Benin by Evboesi: 2:50am On Aug 28, 2023
AreaFada2:

Bro your written Edo is sound, to even think you are an Ekhue, I love
Re: Did You Know Of Benin by UMUAZEE: 3:57am On Aug 28, 2023
Evboesi:
Bro your written Edo is sound, to even think you are an Ekhue, I love

What is Ekhue??
Re: Did You Know Of Benin by Evboesi: 4:24am On Aug 28, 2023
UMUAZEE:

What is Ekhue??
someone that has link to both Bini and eastern Yoruba land

He was told to identify himself, this is what he wrote,

โ€œHe said he is a descendant of Oba Eweka 1. Reason being that Oba Ozolua gave birth to king of Ogho that is called Owo by Edoโ€™neโ€™khue.

He also wrote that Oba Esigie gave birth to the King of Upelle that is very close to Owo.

He said Lamogun is his morning salutation. He also wrote that all the Obas of Benin and their descendants from the first to the present all salute Lamogun.

He said he is the son of the Enogie of Edo, who is the Oba of Benin in this case. Eseserese Edo-This one is a stress of the fact that he is a full Edo man, complete Edo man.

He said it was his grandfatherโ€™s palace, which in this case would be the palace of Owo or Upelle that he saw the Then prince Eredeiuwa for the first time, who later became an Oba of Benin.โ€

Unlike the Other man that might have no link to Yorubaland. This manโ€™s Edo is certainly purer and clearer. Far easier to read and comprehend. That is what I meant by even though you are an Ekhue.

Areafada2 is a bros here, certainly holding his own forte.

This was gregyboyโ€™s frustration at Etrusen and his write up, i thought it was just me

1 Like

Re: Did You Know Of Benin by AreaFada2: 1:07pm On Aug 28, 2023
Hmmmm
Re: Did You Know Of Benin by AreaFada2: 1:10pm On Aug 28, 2023
Evboesi:
someone that has link to both Bini and eastern Yoruba land

He was told to identify himself, this is what he wrote,

โ€œHe said he is a descendant of Oba Eweka 1. Reason being that Oba Ozolua gave birth to king of Ogho that is called Owo by Edoโ€™neโ€™khue.

He also wrote that Oba Esigie gave birth to the King of Upelle that is very close to Owo.

He said Lamogun is his morning salutation. He also wrote that all the Obas of Benin and their descendants from the first to the present all salute Lamogun.

He said he is the son of the Enogie of Edo, who is the Oba of Benin in this case. Eseserese Edo-This one is a stress of the fact that he is a full Edo man, complete Edo man.

He said it was his grandfatherโ€™s palace, which in this case would be the palace of Owo or Upelle that he saw the Then prince Eredeiuwa for the first time, who later became an Oba of Benin.โ€

Unlike the Other man that might have no link to Yorubaland. This manโ€™s Edo is certainly purer and clearer. Far easier to read and comprehend. That is what I meant by even though you are an Ekhue.

Areafada2 is a bros here, certainly holding his own forte.

This was gregyboyโ€™s frustration at Etrusen and his write up, i thought it was just me

My brother, you got virtually everything right. Aside the bolded.

The palace was our father's ducal palace in Edo South. It so happened that in imperial times, post Ozolua and before 1897, a prince of Owo could present himself to Oba of Benin as a Prince of Benin. Our father did just that. He was settled at Ugbo Owo. Uniben/
and UBTH are located there today. He was later made Enogie of another area in Edo South. My uncle is the current duke of same place.

While Upelle people still very much admit their Benin origin (just like some other Obas in Eastern Yorubaland), Owo historians now feel that Owo monarchy is too important now in Yorubaland to be seen as son of Oba of Benin. That some Owo obas of old only claimed to be son or brother of Oba of Benin in order to bask in the glory of powerful obas of Benin and enhance their own prestige.

Surely, our father's recognition as a prince by Oba of Benin clearly nullifies the idea of some obas of Owo only basking in the glory of Oba of Benin without being blood relatives. Because by this time, Benin had started reserving ducal/enogie positions for princes of blood exclusively.

But quite interesting when you discuss with those monarchs over there. They know the history and connections better than me and you.
So I laugh when I hear people just open their mouth "waa" and talk anyhow here.

It was a pretty common thing for Benin descendant princes to return to Benin. Prince Olojo Kosoko of Lagos did same after Oba Kosoko, his father, was deposed and exiled to Epe.

1 Like

Re: Did You Know Of Benin by Evboesi: 3:09pm On Aug 28, 2023
AreaFada2:

My brother, you got virtually everything right. Aside the bolded.

The palace was our father's ducal palace in Edo South. It so happened that in imperial times, post Ozolua and before 1897, a prince of Owo could present himself to Oba of Benin as a Prince of Benin. Our father did just that. He was settled at Ugbo Owo. Uniben/UBTH are located there today. He was later made Enogie of another area in Edo South. My uncle is the current duke of same place.

While Upelle people still very much admit their Benin origin (just like some other Obas in Eastern Yorubaland), Owo historians now feel that Owo monarchy is to important now in Yorubaland to be seen as son of Oba of Benin. That some Owo obas of old only claimed to be son or brother of Oba of Benin in order to bask in the glory of powerful obas of Benin and enhance their own prestige.

Surely, our father's recognition as a prince by Oba of Benin clearly nullifies the idea of some obas of Owos only basking in the glory of Oba of Benin without being blood relatives. Because by this time, Benin had started reserving ducal/enogie positions for princes of blood exclusively.

But quite interesting when you discuss with those monarchs over there. They know the history and connections better than me and you.
So I laugh when I hear people just open mouth "waa" and talk anyhow here.

But it was a pretty common thing for Benin descendant princes to return to Benin. Prince Olojo t Kosoko of Lagos did same after Oba Kosoko, his father, was deposed and exiled to Epe.
Your Bini was clear enough , i must commend your written Edo , the addition of Owo or Upelle was clearly my assumption since you have a part base there.

You are a testament to the fact that Owo and Upelle kings are from Benin, i do tell People that in Benin, there is a strong organization, nothing just happens.
Stools would not have been reserved for those princes if the fatherโ€™s of succeeding Obas has not intimated them that they are from the same loins.

Anywhere there is an empire of note, stools of lesser recognition around that empire are usually from the family of that emperor, because princes are always sent to man these stools in order to ensure the loyalty of these stools. Most times these towns around us when they talk about the fact that they Come from Benin, it is usually the crown a few chiefs and not the majority of the ordinary people. Because the crown is usually the first citizen of the state, his own history is usually misrepresented as the peoples history.

It is so certain that most stools in southern Nigeria hail from Benin, stools like Oba of Lagos, Olu of warri,
Obi of Aboh, Obi of Agbor, Olowo of Owo and the King of Upelle. Even the claims of Oba of Ogba and so many rivers group are not absurd, it is just that most times they acculturate completely amidst the majority of the strange group they met on ground.

It is just some days ago i found out that the Ilorin people call their king Oba and not any other name that Insinuates he is from the north and Fulani.

If not for the fact that he is a Muslim and the causative factor that birthed the Ilorin monarchy is well known and entrenched in history. Some historians in Yoruba land would have some how trace his history to Ife.

1 Like

Re: Did You Know Of Benin by AreaFada2: 3:59pm On Aug 28, 2023
Evboesi:
Your Bini was clear enough , i must commend your written Edo , the addition of Owo or Upelle was clearly my assumption since you have a part base there.

You are a testament to the fact that Owo and Upelle kings are from Benin, i do tell People that in Benin, there is a strong organization, nothing just happens.
Stools would not have been reserved for those princes if the fatherโ€™s of succeeding Obas has not intimated them that they are from the same loins.

Anywhere there is an empire of note, stools of lesser recognition around that empire are usually from the family of that emperor, because princes are always sent to man these stools in order to ensure the loyalty of these stools. Most times these towns around us when they talk about the fact that they Come from Benin, it is usually the crown a few chiefs and not the majority of the ordinary people. Because the crown is usually the first citizen of the state, his own history is usually misrepresented as the peoples history.

It is so certain that most stools in southern Nigeria hail from Benin, stools like Oba of Lagos, Olu of warri,
Obi of Aboh, Obi of Agbor, Olowo of Owo and the King of Upelle. Even the claims of Oba of Ogba and so many rivers group are not absurd, it is just that most times they acculturate completely amidst the majority of the strange group they met on ground.

It is just some days ago i found out that the Ilorin people call their king Oba and not any other name that Insinuates he is from the north and Fulani.

If not for the fact that he is a Muslim and the causative factor that birthed the Ilorin monarchy is well known and entrenched in history. Some historians in Yoruba land would have some how trace his history to Ife.

Thanks my brother. My grouse is that we in Benin are not doing enough to bring Eastern Yoruba people of Benin descent closer.

Those over there who are aware of their Benin descent are very warm towards Edo people. In my case, my family still has houses and a street name with many relatives there. In the royal descendants' quarter no less. A bit like Ogbe in Benin. But even more specific. The family summoned immediately an oba of Owo joins the ancestors and take care of his funeral as a family affair.

But I wonder how many people today in Edo and Ondo not lucky enough to know that family connection on either side.

A time will come that if we in Benin don't reenforce the Edo connections over there, subsequent generations will take on only Oduduwa narrative to make their life easier in line with SW mainstream political position.

For example, how can a first class monarch who told me when alive that he was of Edo origin join his ancestors and Edo was not visibly represented at his obsequies? I have a copy of all letters of condolence (all were compiled) that other prominent monarchs/traditional rulers sent and none from Benin. We need to build bridges. A young energetic man called Imasuen is really trying in that regard though.

Oba of Ogba, King of Brass, Ekpeye, Yenagoa, Degema and many Ikwerre monarchs are bona fide Edo people. Even the Igede people in Benue are bona fide Edo, via Edo North.

You are correct. The monarchs and senior chiefs were planted Edo people to rule new territories. But those kings and elite could marry many wives and sire many children quickly. So over time, 30% or more of the people could easily be their descendants.

1 Like

Re: Did You Know Of Benin by TAO11(f): 11:49pm On Aug 29, 2023
AreaFada2:

Thanks my brother. My grouse is that we in Benin are not doing enough to bring Eastern Yoruba people of Benin descent closer.

Those over there who are aware of their Benin descent are very warm towards Edo people. In my case, my family still has houses and a street name with many relatives there. In the royal descendants' quarter no less. A bit like Ogbe in Benin. But even more specific. The family summoned immediately an oba of Owo joins the ancestors and take care of his funeral as a family affair.

But I wonder how many people today in Edo and Ondo not lucky enough to know that family connection on either side.

A time will come that if we in Benin don't reenforce the Edo connections over there, subsequent generations will take on only Oduduwa narrative to make their life easier in line with SW mainstream political position.

For example, how can a first class monarch who told me when alive that he was of Edo origin join his ancestors and Edo was not visibly represented at his obsequies? I have a copy of all letters of condolence (all were compiled) that other prominent monarchs/traditional rulers sent and none from Benin. We need to build bridges. A young energetic man called Imasuen is really trying in that regard though.

Oba of Ogba, King of Brass, Ekpeye, Yenagoa, Degema and many Ikwerre monarchs are bona fide Edo people. Even the Igede people in Benue are bona fide Edo, via Edo North.

You are correct. The monarchs and senior chiefs were planted Edo people to rule new territories. But those kings and elite could marry many wives and sire many children quickly. So over time, 30% or more of the people could easily be their descendants.
You Binis just lie to yourselves as a coping mechanism. ๐Ÿ˜‚

3 Likes

Re: Did You Know Of Benin by Dancebreaker: 1:13am On Aug 30, 2023
-
Re: Did You Know Of Benin by Dancebreaker: 1:16am On Aug 30, 2023
TAO11:
p
Re: Did You Know Of Benin by Evboesi: 8:25am On Aug 30, 2023
AreaFada2:

the thing is that it is about knowledge, how many persons are aware that there are Binis in ondo state, there are many Binis in ondo state, but you will never see them come out to say it,anybody that Comes out to say itโ€™s criticized.

Also many have to do the work of coming out and enlighten the people of who they actually are that the Yorubas are trying to mask with the Oduduwa narrative ,

See the way you came out and has tried to speak for your people , Educating people of the link to Benin. Through you many people are now aware of the eastern Yoruba link to Benin. Although i know before now, i have seen a couple of them in Benin city from the Bini ethnicity who is from Ondo state .

It seem very true, that In previous centuries and maybe multiple tens of years ago, the palace of Owo and Upelle might have been bilinguals speaking Yoruba and the Edoโ€™nekhue dialect of the Bini language. That in previous generations aided reunion, acceptance not only by the royal family who is already in the know but by the general Bini people.

The Undeniable truth is that the stools of Owo and Upelle are Bini derived. You and others who came back to Benin before the period of deep naturalization are a testament to that fact and are the heros.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did You Know Of Benin by UMUAZEE: 3:22am On Aug 31, 2023
TAO11:

Witch!!!!

1 Like

Re: Did You Know Of Benin by Ibalekute: 9:01pm On Sep 12, 2023
No Olowo of Owo is a Son to Oba of Benin. If you insist then name the Oba of Owo that is Oba of Benin 's Son.

1 Like

Re: Did You Know Of Benin by Simbrixton(m): 11:05pm On Oct 06, 2023
AreaFada2:

over 50 percent of binis are actually of yoruba origin my grouse is more should be done to bring this people closer home

The people of usen for example are undeniably yoruba ufe kekere which was founded b4 the coming of Oranmiyan is a point of dispersal to many other villages in ovia south west and ovia north east like
Iguogho the ancestral home of asoro
Utese
Ugu who have an Oba called Oba n'ugu
Egbetta which was settled by 600 warriors
Okada also called oke ada
Madabayo
Ulorin and many more

Within benin itself those of pure ife ancestry greet La uhe one of them obviously is the family of the late esogban of benin edebiri
The Adun family which is very famous in benin
Osifo family okundaye Obasahon families these families are collectively known as igiogbe

The importance of the ogbe and uzebu quarters in benin cannot be overemphasized as well as the yoruba origin of this places

The ihogbe (official family of the oba) are for example from the ogbe quarter which is obviously headed by the isekhure the first son of the ihama

Not to forget oloton and chief edigin of use and obviously the bamawos( bamiwo family)

1 Like

Re: Did You Know Of Benin by Simbrixton(m): 11:07pm On Oct 06, 2023
Ibalekute:
No Olowo of Owo is a Son to Oba of Benin. If you insist then name the Oba of Owo that is Oba of Benin 's Son.
the Ologho did an interview to correct that yeye narrative

Nothing wey dese 2 local government tribe no go talk
Re: Did You Know Of Benin by Evboesi: 5:37am On Oct 07, 2023
Simbrixton:
the Ologho did an interview to correct that yeye narrative

Nothing wey dese 2 local government tribe no go talk
if any body is talking, a man from a tribe that was 34,000 in 1952 should not be talking about size. Among all Edoid groups, Itsekiri would only be mate with Uneme and Okpamheri. In that very year Etsako was 88 thousand, Esan was 180,000. Even Owan was 48 thousand. Bini was 203,000 in population in that year. Isoko was 74,000.

In 1963, when the Nigeria factor came into play, itsekiri being an affiliate of a major group rose 300% on paper to 100,000 while other substantially bigger minority group with no affiliation to any major group for the 11 years did not give birth, did not impregnate their wives. Even when they get pregnant, they take them for abortion. And as such their population rose 20% others 50% greatly quickly defying the transparent census order that has been on board from 1921.

We know these things we are not dumb, the Edos are arguably the most enlightened tribe in the southern part of Nigeria. In Edo and Delta state, aside uneme and maybe Okpamheri, the Itsekiris are definitely the smallest tribe in the whole of the bendel region. The Binis were five times bigger than you guys in 1952, we are still over four times today. We are not your mate in whatever statistics. Itsekiris would just be the size of Binis from Orhiowmon home and abroad

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did You Know Of Benin by Ologbo147: 6:12am On Oct 07, 2023
Simbrixton:
over 50 percent of binis are actually of yoruba origin my grouse is more should be done to bring this people closer home

The people of usen for example are undeniably yoruba ufe kekere which was founded b4 the coming of Oranmiyan is a point of dispersal to many other villages in ovia south west and ovia north east like
Iguogho the ancestral home of asoro
Utese
Ugu who have an Oba called Oba n'ugu
Egbetta which was settled by 600 warriors
Okada also called oke ada
Madabayo
Ulorin and many more

Within benin itself those of pure ife ancestry greet La uhe one of them obviously is the family of the late esogban of benin edebiri
The Adun family which is very famous in benin
Osifo family okundaye Obasahon families these families are collectively known as igiogbe

The importance of the ogbe and uzebu quarters in benin cannot be overemphasized as well as the yoruba origin of this places

The ihogbe (official family of the oba) are for example from the ogbe quarter which is obviously headed by the isekhure the first son of the ihama

Not to forget oloton and chief edigin of use and obviously the bamawos( bamiwo family)
Uhe has several interpretations, some scholars has traced this Uhe to the middle beltern part which is far more plausible for the fact that the Portuguese,the Dutch, English interacted with us for 400 years and never made mention of Ife leaves a lot to be imagined . If 50% of Binis have Yoruba Origin we would be Yoruba by now , but still even as a Yoruba man you canโ€™t hear up to 5% of what a Bini man is saying. That tells of a lot of loopholes in the story.

The Yoruba historical attempts as it pertains to Bini history seem to be largely false and an attempt to hijack Bini history.

I will give you Utesse, Egbetta, madaboyo, they are not considered as Bini people

You see a community with the Bini prefix Iguo, which directly translates to mean village in our local parlance.

Ugu is in the eastern part of Bini, and has no business with Yoruba whatever. The person ruling them is a member of the Obaโ€™s family. He was the first son of a king at a point in time, and was sent to the eastern region to appease him.

There is no Yoruba origin of ogbe and uzebu. Yoruba donโ€™t even have Ogbe as a word in the first place while Ogbe is scattered in Edo linguistic frequencies from Benin to Esan.

It is not even certain that the Oba came from Ife, therefore all his families that you have mentioned is not a thing of certainty

Okada is a traditional Bini settlement and has no business with Yoruba. Itโ€™s a traditional Bini settlements and can only be interpreted by the Binis

Usens are Binis, identify as Binis and are considered as such. The Oluogbe was asked in 2010 and this was his position on the subject. The Usens got their Yoruba speaking ability from their Yoruba enabled neighbors in Ondo state. They are bilinguals and they have a family salutation recognized in line with the seventy four families in Benin

2 Likes

Re: Did You Know Of Benin by Simbrixton(m): 11:15am On Oct 07, 2023
Ologbo147:
Uhe has several interpretations, some scholars has traced this Uhe to the middle beltern part which is far more plausible for the fact that the Portuguese,the Dutch, English interacted with us for 400 years and never made mention of Ife leaves a lot to be imagined . If 50% of Binis have Yoruba Origin we would be Yoruba by now , but still even as a Yoruba man you canโ€™t hear up to 5% of what a Bini man is saying. That tells of a lot of loopholes in the story.

The Yoruba historical attempts as it pertains to Bini history seem to be largely false and an attempt to hijack Bini history.

I will give you Utesse, Egbetta, madaboyo, they are not considered as Bini people

You see a community with the Bini prefix Iguo, which directly translates to mean village in our local parlance.

Ugu is in the eastern part of Bini, and has no business with Yoruba whatever. The person ruling them is a member of the Obaโ€™s family. He was the first son of a king at a point in time, and was sent to the eastern region to appease him.

There is no Yoruba origin of ogbe and uzebu. Yoruba donโ€™t even have Ogbe as a word in the first place while Ogbe is scattered in Edo linguistic frequencies from Benin to Esan.

It is not even certain that the Oba came from Ife, therefore all his families that you have mentioned is not a thing of certainty

Okada is a traditional Bini settlement and has no business with Yoruba. Itโ€™s a traditional Bini settlements and can only be interpreted by the Binis

Usens are Binis, identify as Binis and are considered as such. The Oluogbe was asked in 2010 and this was his position on the subject. The Usens got their Yoruba speaking ability from their Yoruba enabled neighbors in Ondo state. They are bilinguals and they have a family salutation recognized in line with the seventy four families in Benin
in the quote you posted nowhere did the Oluogbe say they got their language from influence

Usen history is crystal clear the land is actually ufe kekere meaning little ife the usen development forum based in chicago Illinois released a book on it recently there is a website where the usen history was documented by the people themselves so it is actually crystal clear and they greet la uhe to Affirm their ile ife ancestry not to be disputed usen are intermarried with binis and very much bilingual many of my usen brothers identify as binis like comrade shaba, kola edokpayi and so many more finally i have had a detailed 2 hour conversation with kabiyesi Oba Oluogbe the second so i think you should rest
Kings dont dress according to influence how can elawure usen which is in edo state be dressing like a yoruba man out of influence

I think you are not a comedian so stop acting funny

UHE
the geographical location of uhe as been subject to a lot of disinformation by bini nationalists recently and everyone knows why uhe comes up a lot in bini history and it is important to distort the location or even disinform people so uhe can be anywhere but yorubaland but the binis of old obviously did not have the mindset you guys have now so there was no need for constant lies or disinformation

Late Pa David Edebiri the Esogban of benin in an interview of about 10 years ago said his ancestors came from uhe which is ile ife (he said this loud and clear in benin) you cannot on the 1 hand claim uhe is igala when you want to distort the ife- bini relationship and claim uhe is ife when you want to trace the origin of your gods like ogun orunmila eshango and so on all this things dont exist in igala land ok

Finally late Aisien Ekhaguosa of blessed memory in his book talked about the ijebu origin of the ezomo family

The ijebus have a greeting known as omo alare and this greeting is autochonous to the ezomo family and those in uzebu quarters

1 Like

Re: Did You Know Of Benin by Simbrixton(m): 11:32am On Oct 07, 2023
Evboesi:
if any body is talking, a man from a tribe that was 34,000 in 1952 should not be talking about size. Among all Edoid groups, Itsekiri would only be mate with Uneme and Okpamheri. In that very year Etsako was 88 thousand, Esan was 180,000. Even Owan was 48 thousand. Bini was 203,000 in population in that year. Isoko was 74,000.

In 1963, when the Nigeria factor came into play, itsekiri being an affiliate of a major group rose 300% on paper to 100,000 while other substantially bigger minority group with no affiliation to any major group for the 11 years did not give birth, did not impregnate their wives. Even when they get pregnant, they take them for abortion. And as such their population rose 20% others 50% greatly quickly defying the transparent census order that has been on board from 1921.

We know these things we are not dumb, the Edos are arguably the most enlightened tribe in the southern part of Nigeria. In Edo and Delta state, aside uneme and maybe Okpamheri, the Itsekiris are definitely the smallest tribe in the whole of the bendel region. The Binis were five times bigger than you guys in 1952, we are still over four times today. We are not your mate in whatever statistics. Itsekiris would just be the size of Binis from Orhiowmon home and abroad

proudly Omiwerre

Esan can make the same argument that they are far more numerous than the edos from the table you posted

When we deal with una and chase dat una gay enogie na den u go know say we no small
Re: Did You Know Of Benin by Ologbo147: 12:18pm On Oct 07, 2023
Simbrixton:
in the quote you posted nowhere did the Oluogbe say they got their language from influence

Usen history is crystal clear the land is actually ufe kekere meaning little ife the usen development forum based in chicago Illinois released a book on it recently there is a website where the usen history was documented by the people themselves so it is actually crystal clear and they greet la uhe to Affirm their ile ife ancestry not to be disputed usen are intermarried with binis and very much bilingual many of my usen brothers identify as binis like comrade shaba, kola edokpayi and so many more finally i have had a detailed 2 hour conversation with kabiyesi Oba Oluogbe the second so i think you should rest
Kings dont dress according to influence how can elawure usen which is in edo state be dressing like a yoruba man out of influence

I think you are not a comedian so stop acting funny

UHE
the geographical location of uhe as been subject to a lot of disinformation by bini nationalists recently and everyone knows why uhe comes up a lot in bini history and it is important to distort the location or even disinform people so uhe can be anywhere but yorubaland but the binis of old obviously did not have the mindset you guys have now so there was no need for constant lies or disinformation

Late Pa David Edebiri the Esogban of benin in an interview of about 10 years ago said his ancestors came from uhe which is ile ife (he said this loud and clear in benin) you cannot on the 1 hand claim uhe is igala when you want to distort the ife- bini relationship and claim uhe is ife when you want to trace the origin of your gods like ogun orunmila eshango and so on all this things dont exist in igala land ok

Finally late Aisien Ekhaguosa of blessed memory in his book talked about the ijebu origin of the ezomo family

The ijebus have a greeting known as omo alare and this greeting is autochonous to the ezomo family and those in uzebu quarters
that is my thought on the whole issue

They greet De~lauhe not la~Uhe, Ehor on the other hand greet De~laeho, other families salute De~laiso and so on.

For the fact that for the over four centuries that the Europeans intermingled with Benin, there was no mention of Ife leaves a lot to be imagined.

Please post a link of your interview with the Olu~awure. Next time you are going there take a camera with you. Anybody can claim that, this is a faceless forum.

What is the name of the site? What is the name of the book? Not many of your Usen friends, all Usen people you will ever meet in this life identify as Bini. All Usen people are bilinguals, the community Usen is a bilingual community. Again i say Uhe is not Ife.

Many Anioma kings dress like Bini kings as are duly of influence. It happens, Anioma is a classic example.

Late pa Edebiri is not a historian, several Binis who did history openly disagree with him.

There is a more plausible explanation for Uhe from the middlebelt than it can ever be for Ife, who needs to trace the history of Ogun, Orunmila, shango etc when we share a large border with Owo, Ikale, Akure and so on. It is a more tenable fact that it came in through social relations from these Yoruba neighbors than far flung Ife.

That is a lie, Uzebu and the Ezomo family salute la~Ogiesan buttressing their Esan origin, you can find that in this video. The number six family there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LCaxmPdxQU?si=xcDO0rIRCJPaukIJ

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did You Know Of Benin by Evboesi: 12:45pm On Oct 07, 2023
Simbrixton:
proudly Omiwerre

Esan can make the same argument that they are far more numerous than the edos from the table you posted

When we deal with una and chase dat una gay enogie na den u go know say we no small
how do you mean?

As at the time, Bini city was 54,000, the other Bini speaking communities was 150,000. The population of Binis in Benin city would be around 40,000 to 45,000. Then again there were many Binis in Ondo, Akure, Owo, Okitipupa and others. They gradually returned in preceding centuries when they found out that the independent entity they once knew is no longer the case. That added to the population of the Binis we have today. My brother above is a classic example. Any material you pick up from the 1930s to 60s or there about always talk about Bini presence in Ondo province alongside

Gay Enogie ,see minute people

1 Like

Re: Did You Know Of Benin by Simbrixton(m): 1:14pm On Oct 07, 2023
Ologbo147:

They greet De~lauhe not la~Uhe, Ehor on the other hand greet De~laeho, other families salute De~laiso and so on.

For the fact that for the over four centuries that the Europeans intermingled with Benin, there was no mention of Ife leaves a lot to be imagined.

Please post a link of your interview with the Olu~awure. Next time you are going there take a camera with you. Anybody can claim that, this is a faceless forum.

What is the name of the site? What is the name of the book? Not many of your Usen friends, all Usen people you will ever meet in this life identify as Bini. All Usen people are bilinguals, the community Usen is a bilingual community. Again i say Uhe is not Ife.

Many Anioma kings dress like Bini kings as are duly of influence. It happens, Anioma is a classic example.

Late pa Edebiri is not a historian, several Binis who did history openly disagree with him.

There is a more plausible explanation for Uhe from the middlebelt than it can ever be for Ife, who needs to trace the history of Ogun, Orunmila, shango etc when we share a large border with Owo, Ikale, Akure and so on. It is a more tenable fact that it came in through social relations from these Yoruba neighbors than far flung Ife.

That is a lie, Uzebu and the Ezomo family salute la~Ogiesan buttressing their Esan origin, you can find that in this video. The number six family there

i find your rebuttal funny and fundamentally laughable someone is talking about his ancestry this is even discounting the fact that he is the Esogban of benin and the Odionwere of benin land it is also laughable that you said he is not a historian
As a member of the ihogbe who are the guardians of the ukhere Pa David edebiri account cannot be comparable to yours
The five families of Adun edebiri osifo Obasahon Okundaye are collectively known as ihogbe and migrated from ile ife case closed

And i think you should rest on kabiyesi issue you see a whole king dressing as a yoruba man and u are debating and talking about interest

I dont need to publish what i discuss with kabiyesi that is a personal issue between me and him usen development forum based in the united states is not a hidden forum you can pick the phone and call them to express your unhappiness that their origin is ile ife after 1000 years of inter marrying with the binis i think this is a very xenophobic way to think and it reflects poorly on you as a person

On the issue of Aisien Ekhaguosa try and get a copy of his book "the benin city pilgrimage stations"
THE BENIN CITY PILGRIMAGE STATIONS, by Aisien Ekhaguosa; Pages 164-65

The new Benin City Quarter sitting astride the gateway to these riverine territories could conceivably have been known as ๐‘‚๐‘‘๐‘’ ๐‘ˆ๐‘ง๐‘’๐‘๐‘ข: โ€œIjebu Roadโ€, or more simply Uzebu.

The military title of Ezomo with which Ekenika was ennobled could be regarded as one of the happy imports brought by Orhogbua from Lagoon lands. Some tenuous bit of evidence would localise this word to the Ijebu in particular. In the 1930โ€™s Akenzua II, the Oba of Benin conferred the title of ๐ด๐ฟ๐ด๐‘…๐ธ ๐ธ๐‘๐‘‚๐‘€๐‘‚ on a prominent son of Uzebu Quarter of Benin City. Now, all Ijebu Ode native children in Yorubaland are known as ๐‘‚๐‘€๐‘‚ ๐ด๐ฟ๐ด๐‘…๐ธ: โ€œChildren of ๐ด๐ฟ๐ด๐‘…๐ธโ€. ๐ด๐ฟ๐ด๐‘…๐ธ is the ancestral deity of the Ijebu Yoruba sub-tribe. It is said that all that an Ijebu person owns, be it money, land or other property, is the property of ๐ด๐ฟ๐ด๐‘…๐ธ, the ancestral god of the race. The Ijebu man does not possess the freedom to part with any portion of his wealth because technically the wealth is not his to dispense with as he likes. The right to part with it belongs only to ๐ด๐ฟ๐ด๐‘…๐ธ who owns it. This is said to be the secret of the apparently relative ease with which an Ijebu man accumulates wealth. He can accumulate, but he has no personal right to give any of it away. ( See ๐๐ข๐ ๐ž๐ซ๐ข๐š๐ง ๐๐ซ๐จ๐Ÿ๐ข๐ฅ๐ž๐ฌ, S. I. Kale. Bishop of Lagos, a Biography, by Folarin Coker, page 20.)

The coincidence is perhaps more than just a happenstance, that it is in Benin City called โ€œUzebuโ€ that the name of this Ijebu Ode god would feature in a title tied to the name of the traditional Head of the Quarter. It is conceivable that Ekenika came originally from the Epe/Ijebu Ode area, and that the memory of the Ijebu ancestral god still lingered in the Uzebu folk memory until recent times.

There are many โ€œIjebuโ€ place-names in the country, both in Ijebu land and also in some non-Ijebu areas. Strung parallel to the Bight of Benin lagoon system are such Ijebu towns as Ijebu Ode, Ijebu-Munshin, Ijebu-Ife, Ijebu Ugbo, Ijebu Remo, Ijebu-Oru. In the non-Ijebu lands there are โ€œUZEBUโ€ in Benin City, Ijebu-Ijesha in Ijeshaland, and Ijebu-Owo in Owo land. The interesting about the Ijebu-Owo Quarter in Owo town is that the traditional Head of the Quarter bears the same title, ๐‘‚๐ฝ๐‘‚๐‘€๐‘‚, as in Benin City Uzebu. His full title is the OJOMO-OLUDA of Ijebu-Owo. More intriguing still is the fact that the word OLUDA which features in the title of this personage is also one of the titles found in the Uzebu Quarter of Benin City (Prince Ena Ewekaโ€™s ๐๐ž๐ง๐ข๐ง ๐‚๐ก๐ข๐ž๐Ÿ๐ญ๐š๐ข๐ง๐œ๐ฒ ๐“๐ข๐ญ๐ฅ๐ž๐ฌ, page 154).

*photo of Ezomo of Uzebu-Benin

1 Like

Re: Did You Know Of Benin by ShortBiscuit: 2:54pm On Oct 07, 2023
Ologbo147:

Usen

Usen language is yoruboid and its the first language to its people the edo language on the otherhand is a borrowed language that is not in dispute at all
Usen itself was initially called Ode Awure, ode is a yoruba word for settlement like ijebu ode, the first leader was a man called Oyebo and the land was eventually called Ufe kekere meaning small ife the first ruler was called afelogiyan and he came from ife alongside Oranmiyan
Other villages that are satelite of usen are ulorin, Arere Oladaro, okeodo, Adeyanba and many more
In the year 1897 during the visit of major Roupell he wrote in one of his reports
"The country is entirely yoruba in its customs yoruba is spoken everywhere"
You can read up more on this in " the linguistic status of usen" written by Ameze Ogbeifun
You can also look for the usen forum in america and ask questions or better still you can let go of your xenophobia and hate for yoruba
The usen Kabiyesi dresses in yoruba clothes always i posted an image above where he took a picture with Obaseki i would post more in the comment section

EDEBIRI
Just to corroborate what simbrixton said above Late pa david edebiri was talking about his own family ancestry you dont need to be a historian for that, the only issue here is he did not lie and you are finding it hard to come to terms with that indeed the entire Ihogbe are members of the Oba family and they spoke a language called urhuazenomo (the language spoken to omo)

UZEBU
below is a screen shot of page 164 of "the benin city pilgrimage " written by Aisien Ekhaguosa also blessed memory i think you should read and digest yourself

Now to conclude benin oral traditions talk about a physician that helped oba esigie when he had problems with his sight

This physician was also from Ijebu.

1 Like

Re: Did You Know Of Benin by Simbrixton(m): 3:09pm On Oct 07, 2023
Evboesi:
how do you mean?

As at the time, Bini city was 54,000, the other Bini speaking communities was 150,000. The population of Binis in Benin city would be around 40,000 to 45,000. Then again there were many Binis in Ondo, Akure, Owo, Okitipupa and others. They gradually returned in preceding centuries when they found out that the independent entity they once knew is no longer the case. That added to the population of the Binis we have today. My brother above is a classic example. Any material you pick up from the 1930s to 60s or there about always talk about Bini presence in Ondo province alongside

Gay Enogie ,see minute people
ok bros infact na only 1000 of us remain

Nobody lie reach una sha tomorrow una go still claim say u get descendants for japan

1 Like

Re: Did You Know Of Benin by ShortBiscuit: 3:45pm On Oct 07, 2023
In relation to your comment on Anioma kings dressing like binis, you are actually giving me more bullets to use

Obi nduka Agbogidi the Obi of issele ukwu affirmed his ancestors came from benin and was actually a son of Oba eweka

Just like Olu Awure affirmed his ancestors came from ife

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Did You Know Of Benin by Evboesi: 4:15pm On Oct 07, 2023
Simbrixton:
ok bros infact na only 1000 of us remain

Nobody lie reach una sha tomorrow una go still claim say u get descendants for japan
nor be me talk am o, the first one from a Bini dictionary in 1937

The second was bradburyโ€™s work in the 50s

You can hear from Areafadaโ€™s conversation above and deep wisdom, he is certainly a man in his mid fifties and above. Determination of state and nationhood changed a lot of things. The pulling out of the Oba of Benin from the western region also led to many returns my friend from the minute tribe

I mean they are still there, but not as much as they used to be, Egharevba grew up in eastern Yoruba land.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Who Do I Serve First? My Husband Or A Guest? / Any Nembe People On NL? / ยคยคFRENCH THREAD FOR LEARNERS AND TEACHERSยคยค

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 161
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.