Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,644 members, 7,816,647 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:31 PM

Nigerian Values - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Values (4716 Views)

Chukwumerije, A Man Of Noble Values – Buhari / Nigerians Have Lost Core Values Of Life – Jonathan / Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Values by Ikengawo: 2:51am On Feb 26, 2011
all this tribalism led me to wonder

what is the difference between any of the tribes in nigeria as far as values? what beliefs do one tribe hold (in the modern world) that the others or another one doesn't?

i've noticed all nigerian tribes has chieftancy
all nigerian tribes are male dominate
all nigerian tribes raise their kids the same
all nigerian tribes have a high respect for the kola nut
they all dress the same outside of a few trivial details (flowing/oversized robes and a cap)
they all have the same views on issues
they all eat the same stuff
they're all obsessed with money

i would say to only real difference is islam and christianity and the east and NC are less inclinded to be polygamists, but nigerian that was born after the 70s is highly likely to shun polygamy anyways, modern couples don't practice it.

islam and christianity are big deals though so their roles can't be down played.

my sister stated not too long ago that she doesn't see the difference between nigerian tribes, and it's true.
the book "Thing Fall Apart" is only igbo because of the context and names, the exact same story and exact same characters could have be redone with yoruba names and yoruba people would believe it's about their culture.
Re: Nigerian Values by PhysicsMHD(m): 2:57am On Feb 26, 2011
nah
Re: Nigerian Values by PhysicsMHD(m): 3:02am On Feb 26, 2011
Do you really think all that stuff applies to Fulanis?
Re: Nigerian Values by Ikengawo: 3:10am On Feb 26, 2011
Fulanis are probably the most different, but unlike the rest of us they're nomads so that probably explains it. they also don't originate in nigeria.

but this is 2011, they're even behaving like the rest of us.

even at that, a fulani household is still going to have the same values as an igbo one.
Re: Nigerian Values by PhysicsMHD(m): 3:18am On Feb 26, 2011
nah

If they did it would manifest itself in the kind of individuals they produce.
Re: Nigerian Values by ekubear1: 3:25am On Feb 26, 2011
Good questions.

East Africa is a lot less tribal than Nigeria. Ghana, same. Is there a place in Africa where ethnicity is as important as it is in Nigeria? Maybe Rwanda, I guess?

I'm not sure what the answer is, to be honest.
Re: Nigerian Values by PhysicsMHD(m): 3:30am On Feb 26, 2011
Nigerians don't all dress the same.

That's just due to the Hausanization of Nigerian clothing.

Many many different Nigerian groups are not "obsessed with money." I don't even know how one would measure or determine that an ethnic group was "obsessed with money."

I don't know how you could possibly think they "all have the same views on issues." Some don't even agree on forms of government, for example.

How could you possibly know that they "all eat the same stuff"? Have you eaten food in every state in Nigeria?
Re: Nigerian Values by ekubear1: 3:32am On Feb 26, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Hold on a second.

Expound on that.

You mean this: http://s3.hubimg.com/u/2202666_f520.jpg

Is of Hausa origin?

What is your evidence for this?
Re: Nigerian Values by PhysicsMHD(m): 3:35am On Feb 26, 2011
eku_bear:

Hold on a second.

Expound on that.

You mean this: http://s3.hubimg.com/u/2202666_f520.jpg

Is of Hausa origin?

What is your evidence for this?

http://www.adireafricantextiles.com/agbadainfo.htm

www.bakareweate.com/texts/the">http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:XjCyD5rEzIgJ:www.bakareweate.com/texts/the%2520agbada.pdf+islamic+robes+of+honor+agbada&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESiHemXfA9o0jx-a_9YRPS0NaQRGDw29C_8oSCcwydA_QguMazGz-aL_6ea30yZEuBhXstCV-dm56PsXi3a-x8X1-NZeBF1dcSPSYi3jdrEcJ0_FvC9tw_BiGkP7mUtBqmJv19gu&sig=AHIEtbRG9B417F_NgcjcuVo9qEd4fT8npQ

Of course, the Hausas got it from the North Africans, but my point still stands.
Re: Nigerian Values by PhysicsMHD(m): 3:43am On Feb 26, 2011
Most southern Nigerian men originally dressed like the Nubians, Egyptians, etc. did. A simple wrapper sufficed for the young, and when old and out of shape, a shirt of some sort probably.
Re: Nigerian Values by ekubear1: 3:45am On Feb 26, 2011
Hmm:

So from the Fulani, I suppose.

A very interesting read, that doc. I wonder what the previous style of dress was.
Re: Nigerian Values by Ikengawo: 5:11am On Feb 26, 2011
i don't care about the origins of anything.
the end result is all, in 2011, wear it

an hausa, igbo, and yoruba man can all wear agbada and not look like outsiders to any of their respective cultures.

Nigerians don't all dress the same.

Many many different Nigerian groups are not "obsessed with money." I don't even know how one would measure or determine that an ethnic group was "obsessed with money."

I don't know how you could possibly think they "all have the same views on issues." Some don't even agree on forms of government, for example.

How could you possibly know that they "all eat the same stuff"? Have you eaten food in every state in Nigeria?
my friend get out, they all dress the same and eat the same shit.
you can say suya is hausa but what nigerian doesn't eat suya in 2011?
will an igbo man run from a stick of suya because it's foriegn? i even think igbo boys in the village ate the most suya LOL

and they all like money

its funny because nigerians have these stereotypes about each other when everyone else sees that all nigerians do it.

all nigerians like money, excessively, that's the bottom line of it.

(1) (Reply)

Military regimes and anti-corruption initiatives / Okorocha Declares Imo Bankrupt / Undeniable Bitter Truth About Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.