Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:57 AM

DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? (38405 Views)

RE- DM For Price: The Reason Why Many Online Vendors Do It / Can You Tell Your Friend What You Do Online That Gives You Money / What Can I Do Online That Will Guarantee Atleast $4 Daily (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by yusufu16: 10:01am On Sep 26, 2020
Omoluabi16:
It kills me mehn! I don't even follow up with them. But I think they don't want competitors to use their price as a yardstick, and they also do price discrimination.

Thats not an excuse. If they are afraid of competition, then they are not ready for business.

Go to Jumia, konga, Amazon, prices are shown so you can make decision to buy or not.

2 Likes

Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by maasoap(m): 10:05am On Sep 26, 2020
aAK1:
Now I do this but not for the reason everyone is thinking. I run promoted Facebook ads on my business page where I sell exotic animals. Some times in the business you sell eg, a pair of chicken (exotic chicken) for 100k. You state the prices and next thing some ignorant people who behave like all roads lead into their stomach will come and start saying things like 100k for only 2 chicken. If you allow those comments continue, they will mess up your add. It’s best people who are informed call me or send me messages privately
Rodwave:

Don't mind them. Imagine someone someone talking about supermarket as if the system is the same with open market system. Only unserious passers-by complain about "dm for price". Most of them will still ask you "how much last" in your DM even when you post your item with the price. so what's the noise about? Imagine complaining about businesses in Onitsha main market not putting a price on their products, when you can easily walk into shop rite.

The fact that you guys are in minority with your opinions, you should know and accept that something is seriously wrong with your strategy. Why? Because it irritates the majority. Learn!

2 Likes

Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by ogorwyne(f): 10:09am On Sep 26, 2020
It's simply because of price discrimination. If they disclose prices privately then they can sell at different prices for every customer who wants to buy. Most of these instagram sellers (shoes, bags, wears, hair) people are notorious for price hiking, and some of these items sef they make sense for only picture. I rather go to the market.

3 Likes

Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by maasoap(m): 10:10am On Sep 26, 2020
Maliqcious:
Well to My knowledge I guess it gets the customer more curious about the item of interest... Most customers that are aware of a product once they see the price tag tends to swap, but if unsure would like to know the price. So displayed price attracts and turnoff customers cause most won't like to bargain further. I guess dm me for price is more of a bargain ground... Buh make I no lie if na vendor were I know not I might most likely avoid

Lol. Like Nigerians are not shipping on foreign online stores where prices are always attached.
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by Nobody: 10:12am On Sep 26, 2020
karnap:
they want to sell the same items to different people at different prices depends who DM them

Exactly my thoughts.

3 Likes

Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by sweetrace(f): 10:18am On Sep 26, 2020
FuckHomophobes:
I think they don't want competitors to know about their price. Talk about keeping your secret safe.

How about giving you the price and you ghost them? That shit is painful from the client end angry

If you go to a shop, you’ll see the price of all items. Customers and competitors will all see the price. It does not stop who wants to buy from buying. There are better ways of keeping ahead of your competitors than making buying from you so cumbersome.

1 Like

Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by YoungBlackRico(m): 10:20am On Sep 26, 2020
When I see that nonsense, I simply move on to the next one. No time!

1 Like

Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by Klass99(f): 10:21am On Sep 26, 2020

6 Likes

Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by Odunharry(m): 10:22am On Sep 26, 2020
Lexusgs430:
They simply lose customers, by this crazy price hiding attitude.......

It's a turn off for me......
Here also. A big turn off
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by einsteine(m): 10:24am On Sep 26, 2020
They are trying to do discriminatory pricing where they offer different prices to different people depending on their profile.
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by Lexusgs430: 10:25am On Sep 26, 2020
Odunharry:

Here also. A big turn off

Are they so lonely, that they just want potential customers, to keep calling them..............

Put price, if it's way off my mark........ I waka forward, find my size...........
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by Caseywilliams(m): 10:27am On Sep 26, 2020
pocohantas:

Why do they do this? What are they hiding? It is annoying, stressful and scares clients away. Maybe I am wrong and it actually works for them. Any of them here should please explain to me the idea behind this. angry angry angry
I have once bought this cottage fresh black soap from a girl in my university for 2k through this d.m for price means
after like buying from her five or six times saw my Lil cousin sis who's in same uni too with me post same products and stated her price as #1.400 I nearly mad.
I understood that it was business so I moved on but currently if I see d.m for price aunty or brother if u like sell ur products one Naira I'm not coming to ur d. m

5 Likes

Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by kingxsamz(m): 10:36am On Sep 26, 2020
But wait o, if you're not interested in buying, why not waka pass? If the seller places a fixed price which everyone could see, is it not in the same seller's dm you'll still conclude everything?
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by Rodwave: 10:39am On Sep 26, 2020
maasoap:

The fact that you guys are in minority with your opinions, you should know and accept that something is seriously wrong with your strategy. Why? Because it irritates the majority. Learn!

Who cares about vocal minority? What makes you think that people like you are in majority? You are just a vocal minority. People are buying from me so I'm not complaining. My business is both online and offline. So I don't give a Bleep about what lazy online trolls think about. I meet new customers everyday online so my strategy is working. A doctor can't teach me how to build a house. I'm in the field so I will always follow the trend.

1 Like

Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by Onyenna(m): 10:44am On Sep 26, 2020
ThreeBlackBird:

Calling them con artist isn't out of place. It is proven that the their major intention is simply to milk you dry and prey on your ignorance of such product in their DM.

Thing is, they hike the price badly and if eventually you agree to a price, you'll realise later that you got scammed and the product wasn't worth the price.

GBAM!

1 Like

Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by Rodwave: 10:52am On Sep 26, 2020
yusufu16:

Thats not an excuse. If they are afraid of competition, then they are not ready for business.

Go to Jumia, konga, Amazon, prices are shown so you can make decision to buy or not.

Go there and buy your product. If you know that what you want is on jumia, konga etc why not go there and buy them? Why waste time telling an Instagram or fb seller how to market his/her products when you can easily buy on jumia and konga, and save yourself the stress?
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by HabibGwen230(f): 10:53am On Sep 26, 2020
Dididrumz:
They might give you a price openly and immediately another seller will DM you and give you a lower price for the same product.
you have said well.....and it was just yesterday i wanted to buy a mosquito net,the poster's price was #6500 and by nightfall i got a price as low as #4800,still confused till now for fear of being scammed.Dm could be annoying but i think it is a market strategy...

1 Like

Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by Odunharry(m): 11:04am On Sep 26, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Are they so lonely, that they just want potential customers, to keep calling them..............

Put price, if it's way off my mark........ I waka forward, find my size...........
The funny thing most time, their prices are way more expensive compare to what you get in the market.

Some we buy to support a friend.
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by HabibGwen230(f): 11:05am On Sep 26, 2020
Rodwave:

Who cares about vocal minority? What makes you think that people like you are in majority? You are just a vocal minority. People are buying from me so I'm not complaining. My business is both online and offline. So I don't give a Bleep about what lazy online trolls think about. I meet new customers everyday online so my strategy is working. A doctor can't teach me how to build a house. I'm in the field so I will always follow the trend.
Did i just tripped for that last statement?yes i did.
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by Rodwave: 11:16am On Sep 26, 2020
HabibGwen230:
Did i just tripped for that last statement?yes i did.

Thanks jare grin
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by Nobody: 11:23am On Sep 26, 2020
franzis:
Dont forget those who will see price boldly stated and they keep asking you how much is it , or the I will get back to you crew, its a two way thing
The I will get back to you crew may be trying to save up for the product, that's why people like me love seeing the prices of those products first, but when I see dm me for the price, even if I have the money I'll just pass.
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by aAK1(m): 11:33am On Sep 26, 2020
maasoap:

the majority is not always right

2 Likes

Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by healthyguy(m): 11:37am On Sep 26, 2020
DM for price?

That's a very creative to kill sales

Customers want full disclosure

Make it easy for them to make up their mind as quick as possible

Anyway sha, you can turn your WhatsApp into a cash generating machine

Check my signature for details
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by Onlinesmart: 12:58pm On Sep 26, 2020
Seller:dm for price
Me:okay (block seller instantly)

1 Like

Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by Aguogba(m): 1:02pm On Sep 26, 2020
pocohantas:

I am sure it annoys me more o. That thing dey make me vex ehn! It isn’t transparent to me and I don’t do business with such people. I just want to be sure I am not judging them harshly. Maybe their intentions are noble.

the twitter screenshot above said "imagine if supermarket refers you to the cashier each time for price, that's DM for price" that's a very fallacious argument. The person forgets that the same supermarket avoids that by having FIXED price tags on each product which customers don't dare bargain. Before you condem "DM for price"
try selling something to Nigerians. The only people that have mastered this are Igbos because they spend 7 years on average to learn how to tolerate "rubbish" from Nigerian (West African) buyers.
Aswear an American shop owner from the south will point a gun at you if you try what we do in Naija in their shops.

(Case study 1)
Buyer: Oga how much you dey sell am
Seller: It's 2000 naira sir/ma
Buyer: No be 300 Naira?
Me: Why not kuku theif am ! 300 kee u there.

Secondly, We Nigerians sabi demarket people's products. Not knowing that online marketing is not same with physical sales where u can see, feel, smell and touch what you're buying.

(Case study 2)
I sample my Calvin Klein EDP (Original Paris) 32k for 500ml.
Then another Okoro for IG sample one Chinko backyard Calvin Klein EDT 500ml for
Who do you think will sell more in Naija?

So, if you don't come into my DM where I will school you on the difference, then you will join the team that will be saying, "that guy stuff na Kingsway oo".

(Case study 3)
Okay, make I gist you naa. Do you know that Oyibo dey use powerbank for their phones during travel?. Some EU sold Powerbanks (5000mAH and above) are more expensive than most midrange smartphones in Naija. So, how do you sample such powerbank on IG and convince average Naija person to buy it for 20k or more when Okechukwu dey sell 10,000 mAH for 4k for Alaba.

So, as long as online marketing is concerned in Naija, DM na life saver.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by Gabrokpara001(m): 2:17pm On Sep 26, 2020
pocohantas:

Why do they do this? What are they hiding? It is annoying, stressful and scares clients away. Maybe I am wrong and it actually works for them. Any of them here should please explain to me the idea behind this. angry angry angry

First before judging try to understand the person marketing his brand/services.

I am an architect and i also post my services online, when people ask for my fee i usually prefer if the client DM me because then i can properly explain all that is required and why my fee is so and client ll understand, if he/she can afford we proceed if not we end. Stating price upfront is not usually the best strategy for some business coupled with the trouble-some nature of Nigerians, if you state your fee you ll see someone who knows nothing about Architectural design and have no intentions whatsoever to buy saying rubbish under your AD and thats very bad.
To me only real and serious clients will reach out to you for negotiation.
My 10 cents

1 Like 1 Share

Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by fowlyansh181(m): 2:30pm On Sep 26, 2020
aAK1:
Now I do this but not for the reason everyone is thinking. I run promoted Facebook ads on my business page where I sell exotic animals. Some times in the business you sell eg, a pair of chicken (exotic chicken) for 100k. You state the prices and next thing some ignorant people who behave like all roads lead into their stomach will come and start saying things like 100k for only 2 chicken. If you allow those comments continue, they will mess up your add. It’s best people who are informed call me or send me messages privately
the real question is 100k for 2 chicken a good price or are you the seller trying to repackage and sell off something normal as an exotic product? If you are sure of your business put price ..
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by karnap(m): 2:46pm On Sep 26, 2020
BiggyB242:

Exactly my thoughts.
thank you
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by Sixfeetbelle: 4:21pm On Sep 26, 2020
Rodwave:

If you have never run a business online, please don't say what you don't know. Instagram vendors are not jumia. If you want to buy with price tagged to a product, go to jumia or konga. We have supermarkets and we have open markets. Every business has it's pattern.

Even in open markets where prices are not stated, no two customers are told the same price. Or why do you think your mom buys things a lot cheaper than you would have?
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by m140(m): 4:58pm On Sep 26, 2020
SegFault:

The thing dey tire person. undecidedundecided don't think this rubbish has annoyed anyone as much as my sis, she dey always curse them.
Dem no kuku force una , if anyone cant dm ,go your way
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by m140(m): 4:59pm On Sep 26, 2020
FuckHomophobes:
I think they don't want competitors to know about their price. Talk about keeping your secret safe.

How about giving you the price and you ghost them? That shit is painful from the client end angry
People window shop well well, why should dm for price annoy people again
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by m140(m): 5:01pm On Sep 26, 2020
excellence44:
Whenever I see dm or WhatsApp for price I just jump and pass. They are simply unserious con artist.
Wetin you dey talk, so you dont window shop?
Wats difficult in making a dm for something you want to buy , abi you no ready buy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Mike Adenuga: 12 Things You Didn’t Know About Him / Danjuma Is Far Richer Than Dangote (proof) / Price To Ship Documents From Nigeria To USA Via UPS, DHL, FEDEX

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.