Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,197 members, 7,822,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy - Education (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy (75843 Views)

'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries / Greedy Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries / 21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by junglelion: 5:08am On Sep 25, 2020
While I seat and read your post, all of you who have chosen to abuse the OP that his poor and all of that, YOU ARE ALL WRONG. First and foremost this is why we Africans are the way we are... thinking is good, but the right thinking is better.

You abuse a man for a decision that he finds valued, have any of you thought about the disposition of the child receiving such a gift in quote, what is he going to do with it at the moment. If the man can afford to pay the school fees the so called rich man child's attend, what makes you think his poor and...yet you call him a poor man.

Ok how about someone buy your wife a car simply because you can't afford one at the moment, because of some emit project, does it make you poor. I pray we have common sense in knowing what is good or bad for our kids at a tend age. I have them three and I know what is good for them at every stage of there life, untill they are old to decide what they want.

If I was the OP, I will move my child out of the school, cos they lack morals and disciplines, it means any child's parents can bring brandy for the sake of kids birthday and they share. Common sense is really not common.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by codedearner(m): 5:31am On Sep 25, 2020
Excellent decision she made.
Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by Midadeola(f): 5:41am On Sep 25, 2020
SexytorresE:
is it weed or ?...
grin I'm just acknowledging
Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by galantjoe(m): 6:18am On Sep 25, 2020
Op
It is your type that will refuse to eat expensive food served at weddings, burials, parties, etc with unwholesome reasons that you can afford this expensive dish when it is your turn to do the similar ceremony.

Iga abu ogbenye burukwa amuosu. Don't be dog in the manger. Live and let live.
Be happy for other people success, yours will relocate u.

1 Like

Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by Johnsown1(m): 7:13am On Sep 25, 2020
Sebastine1994:
Please schools should stop celebrating birthdays in school, please, biko. I use God beg you.

I sent my child to school to learn and not to celebrate birthdays, I came back from work one day and saw this play station 4 in a carton, I asked them who own. they said my daughter classmates celebrated her birthday and shared these gift to them.

I quickly ask them to reparkage the gift and take it back to the school, before I return from work the next day.

MY REASON IS THIS: all fingers are not equal, when it is my daughter's birthday they would be expecting a gift of equal amount.

The parent may be rich and I am not, they give my child what I can't afford for her which is a recipe for greed. she should be contented with what I can afford,

These her young mind should be moulded early to adapt to reality.

These private schools are encouraging these evil act, it may affect the child tommorow.

please push to front page to expose the dangers of school birthday.

In my opinion you acted wrongly. You should at least visit the school and find out more.
Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by samnaija: 7:21am On Sep 25, 2020
[quote author=larryking540 post=94272171]

wrong ,a child born into dis world has a brain of clean slate ,u input wat you want inside ,[/quote.
So u really believe that people are computers you start imputing newly. No genetics come into play intially, sometimes the traits a child displays may or may not be similar to parent. If you like whallop the life out of the pikin noting for u. You pray and guide the child. Every human is unique with is personality that is why we are humans . Example a family with 4 to 5 kids, will notice that all his kids can't have the same behavior na God.
Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by MansoryMX(m): 7:39am On Sep 25, 2020
themaestro08:

Shut up! You are same as the foolish op

Anyway shove your opinion down your throat(no malice intended, I just can't stand the poverty mindset you and the op display)

You think everyone here is poor or jobless like you lots. Having a mindsets like that only reflects how poor you are.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by HiFreda(f): 7:51am On Sep 25, 2020
Lol. It is parents who become under pressure to do more than a different parent has done.
One school, a parent decided to host a sleepover at a 4 star hotel for all the child's classmates.
Nobody told the parents of the other kids to protest.
The school had to draw up rules regarding birthday celebrations. 1 small cake and a carton of biscuits or something of such.
Wait till your kids start bringing all sorts of gifts home from school before you judge the OP.
I am with the OP. All these show off in the name of birthdays is not ideal.
Do a party at home and share landed properties. No problem. Leave the school out of it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by sandysaint: 8:11am On Sep 25, 2020
Nigerians and our hallowed "poverty mentality."

People who are barely able to scrap bye a month would see a dissenting view bordering on handling finances and scream poverty mentality.

If you were to examine these ones, 90% of them who commented against the values of the OP hop buses and Keke because they can't afford a car. Yet. But does that make you poor?

I'm not yet a parent but it gives me joy seeing the comments of parents here.

For a society whose religious fabric has been deeply blotched by "prosperity pastors", it's refreshing to see those who think objectively and understand the basics of a child's psychological development and the best balance to make them independent adults.

Not the bunch of entitled youths our society has groomed today.

2 Likes

Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by sammirano: 8:14am On Sep 25, 2020
GMBuhari:
I bet you can't have your child do a sleep over at a friend's house ?

How were you raised gaan sef ? this mentality is plain evil

even if they share gifts everyday , it doesn't affect learning, and yes, gifting, interaction among kids is part of learning process like i said in earlier comment, returning the gift looks bad on the kid and other kids could isolate her / keep malice with her and / or even bully her , this parent just damaged his kid's reputation , psychology and mentality

SET awon i go school , i learn book , but i no learn sense join

That's not an insult btw,
Sleepover ko, insomnia ni..what does that even mean
You people are so obsessed with the foreign culture that you bleach your skin copy thier ways just to meet up and all self delusion. I bet, it will lead to premium tears. We are africans and we have a very rich culture but you people will come with "Africans evolve " obviously to the foreign culture. Shame on you.

I so much believe in our ways.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by srclark: 8:36am On Sep 25, 2020
Mutaultope:
God bless you for that decision...... some parents will just take the gift and allow their children slide into covetousness and life struggles
God bless you ,i wonder what type of school will allow such ,and i wonder why the people sharing the gift did not give it to the parents directly (this would have been better without the kids knowing) .This is how parents use tactics to get unmerited grades for their kids ,any day anytime i think this mission owned schools are still the best .All this primary schools charging exorbitant fees na only english them sabi speak .
Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by Xclusiveme: 8:39am On Sep 25, 2020
Aaaah Op, you didn't do well.
Inferiority complex took the best of you. If I was in your shoes, here's how i'll tackle the situation.
Wow, this gift is beautiful. Are you happy with the gift my darling? If yes then be happy too. Go to school next day and meet the child's parents and ask them how the child got the gift, if they were the one, appreciate them in a heartfelt way. Shikina, U go home and play the game with Ur daughter. Limit the fun though.
First of, gift from classmate isn't a hindrance to your child's education, morally or psychologically. It's just a harmless gift given to your daughter by her friend regardless of the price. You shouldn't be oppressed by gift simply because you can't afford it.
In this life no matter the situation you see yourself you have to be grateful for the things you receive.

1 Like

Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by srclark: 8:48am On Sep 25, 2020
Xclusiveme:
Aaaah Op, you didn't do well.
Inferiority complex took the best of you. If I was in your shoes, here's how i'll tackle the situation.
Wow, this gift is beautiful. Are you happy with the gift my darling? If yes then be happy too. Go to school next day and meet the child's parents and ask them how the child got the gift, if they were the one, appreciate them in a heartfelt way. Shikina, U go home and play the game with Ur daughter. Limit the fun though.
First of, gift from classmate isn't a hindrance to your child's education, morally or psychologically. It's just a harmless gift given to your daughter by her friend regardless of the price. You shouldn't be oppressed by gift simply because you can't afford it.
In this life no matter the situation you see yourself you have to be grateful for the things you receive.
you know how kids behave towards such gadgets it should have been given to the parents directly and the parents know what to do .Some parents are trying to work ontheir kids concentrating then you suddenly give that same kid a gaming console ,o wrong now
Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by Xclusiveme: 8:59am On Sep 25, 2020
srclark:
you know how kids behave towards such gadgets it should have been given to the parents directly and the parents know what to do .Some parents are trying to work ontheir kids concentrating then you suddenly give that same kid a gaming console ,o wrong now

The supposed child is a girl and you know girls aren't into games like that. Besides kids are meant to have fun while growing up . If he thinks the game would be a distraction, then he should put it away from her till after every examinations. Consoles games helps a child in a lot of ways like problem solving and creativity

1 Like

Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by Psoul(m): 9:13am On Sep 25, 2020
Wiseandtrue:

Some people sef undecided

Did they put a gun to your head that you must reciprocate

Either you returned the gift or not when it's your daughter's birthday, they will expect you to do something

It's left for you to know how to handle the situation!

Stop making life difficult for your daughter because you are poor! Shuuuuuoo shocked shocked shocked shocked

Modified:

No blame situation for this matter, the child no steal, it was a gift!!!

No matter the pretence, everyone is happy with gifts. It could be from God or man

So if person dash am house wey them don build he no go collect

Na wa oooooo

My father taught us to reject some certain gifts.
We have watched him reject certain gifts even when some of them are what we want/need.
Then we, thought he was just bn too righteous or stupid.
Wen we grew up, we came to see the virtue in those acts.
Learn to reject some certain gifts my dear no matter how tempting the gift may look.
Even God himself do reject beautiful gifts/sacrifices from some certain pple..
Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by srclark: 9:19am On Sep 25, 2020
Xclusiveme:

The supposed child is a girl and you know girls aren't into games like that. Besides kids are meant to have fun while growing up . If he thinks the game would be a distraction, then he should put it away from her till after every examinations. Consoles games helps a child in a lot of ways like problem solving and creativity
well the gender does not really mean ,my wife is more of a game person .The parents that used the gift as sourvenir should have handed it over to the school and the school inturn gives it to the parents and guardians of the targetted kids .All should be done discreetly so it does not affect anyone .The intent might be good but the way it was done has made it all wrong
Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by Psoul(m): 9:31am On Sep 25, 2020
tommy589:
Not right to return the gift. Some staffs and parents may see you as bad belle and their future disposition to your daughter may not be kind.

Some parents are rich and can make this a yearly affair. While most that like show off will just do copy copy and won't be able to afford next year birthday not to talk of bearing gifts for the class ever again

You job is to focus on training your children in the best way you know. If you train your kids to live within their means they won't covet what belongs to others.

I can't keep a gift that I don't want. So returning it is the best thing and will make them know your stand on such issues.
How can you keep it and probably come out next time to condemn that kind of gift. They will tell you, after all, you have bn collecting those ones given to ur children.

Secondly, it doesn't matter what other teachers may think. My major concern is to give my children good training.
Sincerely speaking, PS4 is not a reasonable gift for kids to share in school as a Birthday Gift. The parents did it to show affluent and also to tell other parents that they have landed and should be respected. It was also to intimidate the teachers. If they shares PS4 to fellow students, imagine what they may have given to the teachers. Do you think the teachers will be very much free to handle the child the way that is supposed to be handled when the child misbehaved in the school? Don't you think that there will be unnecessary preferential treatment on the side of that child to the detriment of others? Don't you think that the child may even be awarded marks that he does not merit.

There should be gifts for such occasion. I don't see PS4 as a nice one. I am not saying you must see it the way I see it. But that is my stand.
I will reject and return such gifts million times.

1 Like

Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by Xclusiveme: 9:33am On Sep 25, 2020
srclark:
well the gender does not really mean ,my wife is more of a game person .The parents that used the gift as sourvenir should have handed it over to the school and the school inturn gives it to the parents and guardians of the targetted kids .All should be done discreetly so it does not affect anyone .The intent might be good but the way it was done has made it all wrong

You're right I get it now.
Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by edoairways: 9:54am On Sep 25, 2020
sandysaint:
Nigerians and our hallowed "poverty mentality."

People who are barely able to scrap bye a month would see a dissenting view bordering on handling finances and scream poverty mentality.

If you were to examine these ones, 90% of them who commented against the values of the OP hop buses and Keke because they can't afford a car. Yet. But does that make you poor?

I'm not yet a parent but it gives me joy seeing the comments of parents here.

For a society whose religious fabric has been deeply blotched by "prosperity pastors", it's refreshing to see those who think objectively and understand the basics of a child's psychological development and the best balance to make them independent adults.

Not the bunch of entitled youths our society has groomed today.
What op should have done is to either report the issue to the school authorities or withdraw his or her kid from such school. If you are not comfortable with certain activities, you leave.
Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by litaninja(m): 10:21am On Sep 25, 2020
You don't sound like someone who has their finances in any reasonable order.

Wiseandtrue:

Some people sef undecided

Did they put a gun to your head that you must reciprocate

Either you returned the gift or not when it's your daughter's birthday, they will expect you to do something

It's left for you to know how to handle the situation!

Stop making life difficult for your daughter because you are poor! Shuuuuuoo shocked shocked shocked shocked

Modified:

No blame situation for this matter, the child no steal, it was a gift!!!

No matter the pretence, everyone is happy with gifts. It could be from God or man

So if person dash am house wey them don build he no go collect

Na wa oooooo
Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by tommy589(m): 10:38am On Sep 25, 2020
Psoul:

I can't keep a gift that I don't want. So returning it is the best thing and will make them know your stand on such issues.
How can you keep it and probably come out next time to condemn that kind of gift. They will tell you, after all, you have bn collecting those ones given to ur children.

Secondly, it doesn't matter what other teachers may think. My major concern is to give my children good training.
Sincerely speaking, PS4 is not a reasonable gift for kids to share in school as a Birthday Gift. The parents did it to show affluent and also to tell other parents that they have landed and should be respected. It was also to intimidate the teachers. If they shares PS4 to fellow students, imagine what they may have given to the teachers. Do you think the teachers will be very much free to handle the child the way that is supposed to be handled when the child misbehaved in the school? Don't you think that there will be unnecessary preferential treatment on the side of that child to the detriment of others? Don't you think that the child may even be awarded marks that he does not merit.

There should be gifts for such occasion. I don't see PS4 as a nice one. I am not saying you must see it the way I see it. But that is my stand.

I was brought up by my mother that act the way you would. She will return the gift and also won't care what others think. It gives her peace of mind but we got visited with the consequences of such actions.

Learning from her has made me to follow a non confrontational approach that won't come with consequences when issues like this occurs. What I want is to have well raised kids. I don't want them to be target of people that won't see reasons for my condemnation when I come to them.

1 Like

Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by themaestro08(m): 10:42am On Sep 25, 2020
MansoryMX:

You think everyone here is poor or jobless like you lots. Having a mindsets like that only reflects how poor you are.

Shut up you miserable fool cheesy grin.

Genuine rich people are humble and don't flaunt it to strangers they barely know. angry
Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by lucky4west: 10:46am On Sep 25, 2020
nice one Boss you did very well....but it is possible the gift was a one off in the spirit of celebrations....allow ur child enjoy the benefits of having rich and influential friends, do not be a kill-joy...for kids gifts are no big deal
Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by ice247(m): 11:17am On Sep 25, 2020
Op if they had invited your child for the birthday party in their house/event center and after all the merriments still give ur child and other children attending the gift (PS4),will u still return it? Or you are single and you attending your friends wedding and was gifted a smartphone as souvenir,so you will return it because when it's your own wedding you won't be able to do same so you won't collect.hmmmmm I just ask oh
Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by jesmond3945: 11:20am On Sep 25, 2020
KingAzari:
Hustle ooo so that you won't be angry that your child received an innocent harmless gift from a rich classmate.

Poverty mentality. Always angry at the rich for no fault of theirs. Hustle, man, hustle.

You forgot that your child was chanced to have such high net worth kid in her class. The child through whom that expensive gift came to your child could be your kid's lifeline out of this kind of poverty that has raped, abused and disfigured your mind into thinking that a wilful gift to your child had become a subject of parental control.
sometimes is not about hustle, is the mind. You think many rich men don't have inferiority complex.
Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by darlenese(f): 11:20am On Sep 25, 2020
Poverty .
Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by jesmond3945: 12:07pm On Sep 25, 2020
Mutaultope:
God bless you for that decision...... some parents will just take the gift and allow their children slide into covetousness and life struggles
have you asked the benefits the child would get from such gifts? Do you know with PS4 her cognitive abilities will develop very fast. When you are doing 1,her brain is already doing 10. Covetousness in in every one it depends on the degree you control it.
Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by jesmond3945: 12:13pm On Sep 25, 2020
Psoul:

so the reasonable gift to share is biscuit? Then why are your kids attending the school? Why not put them in ajegunle community school where they share biscuit as gift. It is only in Nigeria we judge people's intention based on their material possession. So if otedollar decides to drive keke we would say it is cruise or he is mocking poor people but we forget that otedollar is a human being first of all and might decide to live a life of destitutes for the rest of his sojourn on earth. When we allow our kids to grow up with this mindset they would always feel inferior even when they have made it.
Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by Princessbettyj(f): 12:15pm On Sep 25, 2020
If I be that ur child eh! I won't forgive you undecided angry angry sad
Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by SexytorresE(f): 12:20pm On Sep 25, 2020
Midadeola:
grin
I'm just acknowledging
iru just a dot ? cheesy grin was thinking otherwise
Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by banio: 12:24pm On Sep 25, 2020
Sebastine1994:
Please schools should stop celebrating birthdays in school, please, biko. I use God beg you.

I sent my child to school to learn and not to celebrate birthdays, I came back from work one day and saw this play station 4 in a carton, I asked them who own. they said my daughter classmates celebrated her birthday and shared these gift to them.

I quickly ask them to reparkage the gift and take it back to the school, before I return from work the next day.

MY REASON IS THIS: all fingers are not equal, when it is my daughter's birthday they would be expecting a gift of equal amount.

The parent may be rich and I am not, they give my child what I can't afford for her which is a recipe for greed. she should be contented with what I can afford,

These her young mind should be moulded early to adapt to reality.

These private schools are encouraging these evil act, it may affect the child tommorow.

please push to front page to expose the dangers of school birthday.

Imagine Dangote dashing You your dream car. After You have shown it to your friends and family and it got stolen by thieves. How will I feel. You just dampened your daughter's ego and made a fool of her. Men of low self believe and esteem. BBNaija is gifting a lucky one #85 million and You come on social media to wish yourself below what GOD destined You for.

Best of luck

1 Like

Re: School Birthday Will Make Your Child Greedy by philipnero1419: 12:56pm On Sep 25, 2020
hmmmmm, Stop your child from going to school any day there would be a birthday present

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

Man Signs Out On Lady's Boobs As They Graduate (Photo) / Bad Things That Happen At Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) Kaduna By Commandant / FUTO Student Test Runs The Airplane He Built As His Final Year Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.