Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,919 members, 7,835,071 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:03 AM

Owner Of Burnt Daycare Flees Us To Nigeria - Crime (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Owner Of Burnt Daycare Flees Us To Nigeria (9850 Views)

Girlfriend Flees As Boyfriend Dies In Lagos Hotel / Man Attacks Friend In Hotel Room And Flees With N800k (pic) / EFCC Identifies Owner Of $2.1m Seized Cash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Owner Of Burnt Daycare Flees Us To Nigeria by roymary: 12:29pm On Mar 04, 2011
Imari:

This is a sad story indeed.

I remember watching it on breaking news here.

It didnt even happen in your proclaimed city!!! Like, what the heck! You didnt see nada on no breaking news!!! Galaxy TV didnt show it! not even AIT!!!
Re: Owner Of Burnt Daycare Flees Us To Nigeria by fstranger3(m): 12:40pm On Mar 04, 2011
roymary:

It didnt even happen in your proclaimed city!!! Like, what the heck! You didnt see nada on no breaking news!!! Galaxy TV didnt show it! not even AIT!!!

You are crazy

Are we sure she is not in Obodo-Oyinbo?
Re: Owner Of Burnt Daycare Flees Us To Nigeria by roymary: 12:48pm On Mar 04, 2011
fstranger3:

You are crazy

Are we sure she is not in Obodo-Oyinbo?

Well, i volunteer to go pay her a visit! I'm so sure she's one old hag 9ja babe in her 40s, trust me! Akatas are too crazy and eccentric to spend so much time on Nairaland.

Meanwhile, do you self-service on this Nairaland chics or you seek a maid here for real?
Re: Owner Of Burnt Daycare Flees Us To Nigeria by fstranger3(m): 12:50pm On Mar 04, 2011
But why are people always eager to claim they are not in Naija?

I dont get it

It doesnt change anything grin
Re: Owner Of Burnt Daycare Flees Us To Nigeria by roymary: 12:53pm On Mar 04, 2011
^^^^

You gotta be kidding me!!!    It doesnt change anything   It does! You rarely experience Power supply failure!   You dont trespass on your neighbors property trying to fetch some water.
Re: Owner Of Burnt Daycare Flees Us To Nigeria by fstranger3(m): 12:56pm On Mar 04, 2011
roymary:

^^^^

You gotta be kidding me!!!    It doesnt change anything   It does! You rarely experience Power supply failure!   You dont trespass on your neighbors property trying to fetch some water.

Not if you work in Baggage claim like moi. Heavy job I tell ya, just like fetching water from your neighbor's deep well ten houses from you. grin
Re: Owner Of Burnt Daycare Flees Us To Nigeria by roymary: 1:00pm On Mar 04, 2011
^^^^

Bro, i knw you lift no bags but you need to start thanking God real good! Lift those heavy bags but go back home to sleep good without sweat!

Like WTF!!!,

Sanity is luxury in Nigeria!!!
Re: Owner Of Burnt Daycare Flees Us To Nigeria by Imari(f): 1:03am On Mar 05, 2011
roymary:

It didnt even happen in your proclaimed city!!!          Like, what the heck! You didnt see nada on no breaking news!!! Galaxy TV didnt show it! not even AIT!!!

Please DON'T show your ignorance, once again.

There are things such as cable & satellite tv which has many 24/7 NEWS CHANNELS (MSNBC, CNN, FOX, HLN, ect.), those channels has something called BREAKING NEWS! which can come from ANYWHERE in the U.S.A or even the WORLD.

Also, what is my "proclaimed city"?   I've never revealed that information to anyone here.

fstranger3:

But why are people always eager to claim they are not in Naija?

I dont get it

It doesnt change anything grin

I am not Nigerian not unless my long ago ancestors were I am an American.
roymary has some serious issues with me which every time he approaches with his foolishness he gets a smack down.

He must like having it knocked in the dirty.  grin
Re: Owner Of Burnt Daycare Flees Us To Nigeria by mamagee3(f): 11:05pm On Mar 05, 2011
Jessica Tata or whatever she calls herself is a heartless coward!

She didn't want to face the tune of the music so she ran back to Nigeria.

Yeah, Isn't it annoying when some of these Nigerians who live in houston run back to Nigeria at any little crime or offense that's committed.

I hope Interpol catches up with her and extradites her back to Texas.
Re: Owner Of Burnt Daycare Flees Us To Nigeria by favouredjb(f): 9:57am On Mar 08, 2011
lastpage:

I wish God's rest for those 4-poor souls.
I wish their parents my sympathy and God's comfort too.

Now, to the koko issue:

okay, two things:
1.) She is 22yrs ---- barely matured enough to be called a "Mother"
2.) She was obviously a hardworking lady who wants to use her idle time to do some legit work (and l bet she loves children too, otherwise she should have been painting the "red-district" at night or doing yahoozee)

Lets not get too sentimental or take some shitty moral high ground here!, SHE MADE A MISTAKE BORNE OUT OF INEXPERIENCE. End of story.

Some clowns are even asking us why did she run? angry
Idiots, SHE RAN OUT OF FEAR!
What do you do (or your brain does, involuntarily)  WHEN YOU"RE  AFRAID?
its called "fight or flee"!

She made a fatal mistake that cost lives, innocent lives for that matter but it does not lessen the fear in anyway.

And l will bet my two bosoms/balls that 99% of all the "pretenders" here on NL will do the same, under the same circumstance (The remaining 1% will be so frozen with the same FEAR they will just stand rooted to the same spot till the Police wake them up to put handcuffs on! grin )

Turn herself in? Dont be silly, let the Police do a damn good job of this, thats why they are paid tongue

Stop pretending, you all will do the same thing or who has not made a mistake before?
Okay, yours did not kill anyone?, what about drunk-driving?
What about talking on the phone while driving or does that not cause deadly "accidents"?
"Let he without sin, cast the first stone"

BTW: I guess the "parents" knew where their mistake lies, hence the "forgiving spirit". Both have liabilities naah wink

Lesson here is: Be careful who you leave your children with and if you must take up FOR CHILDREN,be reminded that it is a huge responsibility (Dont just think about the income only!).
Again, dont be too greedy and want to "eat alone, die alone"! Employ one assistant to help you! One minder to  seven kids is too greedy naah angry
Now, Yaawah don-gaz! angry angry

grin grin grin grin to say i enjoy ur posts most times is an understatement
Re: Owner Of Burnt Daycare Flees Us To Nigeria by Nobody: 11:27am On Mar 08, 2011
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7459711.html

Business tie-ins murky at day care

Owner of property where fire killed 4 children mum; fugitive suspect's ex-classmates recall her as angry bully

By TERRI LANGFORD
HOUSTON CHRONICLE
March 7, 2011, 1:09AM
1 2
photo
Michael Paulsen Chronicle

Jessica Rene Tata, 22, is thought to have fled to Nigeria the day before the first of 14 charges, including four counts of manslaughter, were filed against her in the fatal day-care fire.
iconDel.icio.us
iconDigg
iconTwitter
iconFacebook
iconStumbleUpon
Email
Close [X]

A 22-year-old day care operator's flight from justice has left government agencies red-faced and her family speechless. Now, questions linger about how an angry teen arsonist described by high school classmates as an arrogant bully ended up in the day care business.

Jessica Rene Tata was the face of Jackie's Child Care, the home-based day care that caught fire Feb. 24, killing four children. Tata, a criminal justice major at Houston Community College, is thought to have fled to Nigeria the day before the first of 14 charges, including four counts of manslaughter, were filed against her.

The extent to which she may have had business partners remains unclear. The property where the day care was located - a house at 2810 Crest Park Drive - is owned by Ronald Velasco, who has not returned repeated calls from the Houston Chronicle to explain his relationship with Tata.

Records show that Velasco is an officer in what appears to be one of his father's health care businesses, called Great Home Health Care Inc. Another of his father's health care businesses, called Vel-Nay Tru Living, is based at 12810 Westbranch Court, along with one of his son's businesses, Excelsior Home Solutions.

It is not clear if Ronald Velasco has a part in Vel-Nay, which, according to state records received more than $515,000 in Medicaid funds in the past year.

According to the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services, Vel-Nay provides training and support services for mentally disabled adults.

"We are busy. We are so busy right now," said Rodolfo Velasco from the door of his west Houston business, Vel-Nay Tru Living.

A younger man's voice instructed him to just "Shut the door!" When asked about his son's property on 2810 Crest Park Drive, the father said: "I don't know what he owns," before slamming the door.

Various reports indicate that Tata's father, Godfrey Tata, has a thriving health care business, but the only mention in a search of databases at four state agencies was a failed application to be in the substance abuse business.

"Our system shows a man named Godfrey N. Tata of Houston sought a chemical dependency counselor license in the mid-1990s but did not pass the required exam and therefore was not licensed by us," said Carrie Williams, a spokeswoman for the Texas Department of State Health Services.

He listed several businesses with the Harris County Clerk's Office, but most of the listings have expired. Velasco business records reveal no business partnerships with the Tatas, who continued their silence.

Tata's parents, Godfrey and Josephine, appear to have divorced decades ago. Jessica Tata is the youngest of five children.
Few willing to speak

Few people will talk about Tata. Those who knew her at Katy Taylor High School, where she set a fire in 2002 and was subsequently removed, speak of her as an angry bully and then ask that their names not be used.

"If she was going somewhere and you were in her way, she was either going to push you out of the way or mow you down," said Kat, a 2006 Taylor graduate who did not want her last name used. "It was all about Jessica all the time."

But the post-high school Tata has her supporters.

"This is not the Jessica I knew," said Dia Walcott, 24, a single mom who used Jackie's Child Care for her son, who was not there at the time of the fire. "No one forced her to do this (child care). She did it because she loves kids. And we went to her - we passed up so many day cares that were probably cheaper - but we went to her because we liked her."

"The thing that really kills me about all this , I do know she was about to close the day care," Walcott said. "She was attending nursing school, or trying to. She hired people to come in and sit with the kids for a while."

Records show Jessica first registered "Jackie's Child Care" at another location in 2007, but state officials insist Tata never had a child care before being licensed a year ago at the home that burned.

At the time of the fire, Tata had seven children in her care 3 years old and younger. Video from a local Target indicates she left the seven by themselves to shop.

As a registered day care home, Tata was allowed to supervise, by herself, up to 12 children - but no more than six younger children and six older children - at certain times of day.

The more than 2,000 home day care centers licensed in Houston are not required to have a city of Houston fire inspection.

The fire at the Jackie's Child Care operation exposed serious cracks in the anonymous city-county-state bureaucracies many Texans take for granted.

The Houston Fire Department and Harris County District Attorney's Office spent days after Tata's disappearance pointing fingers at one another.

Documents obtained by the Chronicle last week reveal that her day care home application wasn't vetted thoroughly.

Although she admitted in juvenile court she set a fire at Taylor High School in 2002, her three-year probation for the incident, which was technically not a conviction, was omitted from her application. A background check failed to find it.
Two classes of day care

Tata's day care home application - one of 11,056 applications sent to the Texas Department of Public Safety in 2010 for a background check - indicated she had never been accused of a felony as an adult or juvenile. Arson is a second-degree felony.

It is now believed that a lack of the original arrest report kept her arson case file from making it to the database used by DPS to conduct agency background checks.

In Texas, the most stringent regulations are applied to day care centers, the type of care most often used by wealthier families. Then there is a second-class type of day care, registered or licensed homes that are clustered in poorer neighborhoods and have fewer regulations. Most offer 24/7 care.

The state subjects them to fewer regulations in hopes of keeping operators from skipping the licensing process entirely, putting more children at risk in illegal operations.

Records show Tata received a total of $11,086.38 from the Texas Department of Agriculture, which distributes a federal grant to day care operators for food expenses. She received $5,773 from the Texas Workforce Commission in day care subsidies to working poor women. One mother said Tata charged $400 to $500 a month.

Reporters Peggy O'Hare and Claudia Feldman contributed to this report.

terri.langford@chron.com
Re: Owner Of Burnt Daycare Flees Us To Nigeria by fstranger3(m): 12:52pm On Mar 08, 2011
She looks way older than 22.

I hope they never catch her

She seems like a really nice person.
Re: Owner Of Burnt Daycare Flees Us To Nigeria by mamagee3(f): 2:42am On Mar 09, 2011
fstranger3:

She looks way older than 22.

I hope they never catch her

She seems like a really nice person.
You're truly a daft!

Sagamite was right all along, you need to start thinking with your brain.
Re: Owner Of Burnt Daycare Flees Us To Nigeria by Nobody: 2:45am On Mar 09, 2011
When you tell a potential employer that you're Nigerian, dont be upset when they eye you up and down. . . . this fat chik is one of the many reasons.
Re: Owner Of Burnt Daycare Flees Us To Nigeria by Nobody: 2:46am On Mar 09, 2011
When you tell a potential employer that you're Nigerian, dont be upset when they eye you up and down. . . . this fat chik is one of the many reasons.
Re: Owner Of Burnt Daycare Flees Us To Nigeria by Kekenapep: 11:29am On Mar 09, 2011
Sorry for the divertion, but some people no get job to be making the replies they are making here and everywhere else on nairaland. we should be more intelligent in making our points and avoid insults abuse and etc, Go find a job, read ur books or something , find something to do with your life I guess, Ciao
Re: Owner Of Burnt Daycare Flees Us To Nigeria by armyofone(m): 2:35pm On Mar 09, 2011
who would claim nigerianship during employment ke, you know i'm from from one of the Island, and that funny list you see (pick race), skip it grin

Ileke-IdI:

Re: Owner Of Burnt Daycare Flees Us To Nigeria by obowunmi(m): 4:40pm On Mar 09, 2011
mama-gee:

You're truly a daft!

Sagamite was right all along, you need to start thinking with your brain.

Kaaiii, mama-gee (muffins) u never change sha!
Re: Owner Of Burnt Daycare Flees Us To Nigeria by lovelylady: 6:27am On Mar 13, 2011
The daycare owners picture was shown on America's Most Wanted this evening. It's best that she do the right thing and turn herself in. She won't be able to hide forever.
Re: Owner Of Burnt Daycare Flees Us To Nigeria by obowunmi(m): 5:56pm On Mar 14, 2011
She's looking for a babalawo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Two Nigerians And A Filipino Kidnap A Japanese Engineer In Malaysia / Anthony Munachi Okeke Is A Scammer / Why Do Many Nigerian Guys In America Try So Hard To Be Gangsters?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.