Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,053 members, 7,810,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:45 PM

Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea - Foreign Affairs (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea (71517 Views)

GTA 6 Hacker Sentenced To Life In Hospital Prison Until He's "No Longer A Danger / Ten Normal Things You Can't Buy Or Possess In North Korea / Top4 Strange Things About Germany (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by dalass(f): 6:24pm On Oct 02, 2020
Vianna:
8; The North Korean diet includes tree bark and grass
Food shortages in North Korea are so severe, the people occasionally have to resort to desperate measures simply in order to survive. One popular way of making it through the year is to introduce ‘wild foods’ to the diet. Wild foods are just as they sound: if getting hold of store-bought goods isn’t an option, there are foods that North Koreans can simply pick up naturally. Such things as wild grass and poisonous mushrooms and plants have been known to make already-starving North Koreans seriously ill.

Oh my God! cry
Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by Nobleking2000(m): 6:27pm On Oct 02, 2020
henryobinna:
I just had to join this conversation when you uttered a blunder, I don't care about other aspects but one.

Please do mention one country that has been favoured by communism.

I don't have problems with monarchy, because it is purely a system of government whereas communism is not.
What I mean is a country or state operating on monarchy can still be a capitalist state. While communism on its own, is not just an economic system it doubles as a system of government too.
I don't know why you had to mention both monarchy and communism in the same line as they're not closely related.

Finally, back to my question; please do mention one country that has been favoured by communism.

Thank you

China
Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by omenka(m): 6:29pm On Oct 02, 2020
henryobinna:
I just had to join this conversation when you uttered a blunder, I don't care about other aspects but one.

Please do mention one country that has been favoured by communism.

I don't have problems with monarchy, because it is purely a system of government whereas communism is not.
What I mean is a country or state operating on monarchy can still be a capitalist state. While communism on its own, is not just an economic system it doubles as a system of government too.
I don't know why you had to mention both monarchy and communism in the same line as they're not closely related.

Finally, back to my question; please do mention one country that has been favoured by communism.

Thank you
China is a Communist state and one of the most economically and technologically advanced countries in the world. Whenever US and China sneeze, the world catches cold. China is poised to topple US as the world's dominant power, reason why we have this unending diplomatic skirmishes between the two countries.

So, what now would you say? Perhaps you'd shift your goal to "mention one country BESIDES CHINA".

3 Likes

Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by dalass(f): 6:29pm On Oct 02, 2020
ismail4sure:
For the first time, I'm proud be a Nigerian

Exactly....

So there are worse countries than Naija grin
Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by brightalo1010: 6:29pm On Oct 02, 2020
solmus:

Tell us what they show on African content accross all their channels like NAT geo wild, science and discovery. Did they portray you as who you truly are or a semi monkey in a village without internet

abeg stop making noise unless you want to bring evidence to this thing you're saying.
Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by bigcasava1(m): 6:30pm On Oct 02, 2020
Vianna:
Women often offer sex in exchange for rice

Poverty is so severe in this country some women often offer sex in exchange for a few grains of rice.
ah! I like to be in this part of the world, 500 naira na till day break
Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by solmus: 6:31pm On Oct 02, 2020
brightalo1010:
abeg stop making noise unless you want to bring evidence to this thing you're saying.

K
Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by DonroxyII: 6:39pm On Oct 02, 2020
solmus:

Not disputing some of your facts

But

I think the main reason US won't take over Iran in the middle East and North Korea in the Korean Peninsula, or even broker a meaningful peace deal is , US benefit greatly from all this conflicts as it cost some of this panicking Countries Billions to secure access to US Defense either through weapons or continuous running of various US base accross the regions

Seoul coughs out between $1bn to $5bn for just a single US anti Missile Defense system just to feel secured from Kim,

UAE, Saudi, Bahrain, Oman and many Gulf countries fork out billions in cash to run US base and get weapons while Isrealis give research and some technology all to keep them safe from their enemies

And US is the enemy to all of them ... He help them create problem, help them fuel it by supporting one against the other , Then Started selling weapons both ways profiting both way.

Capitalism is cannibalism!!
Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by ba7man(m): 6:40pm On Oct 02, 2020
Yaldee:
So the only good thing in north korea is nuclear weapons. Still better than some place in west africa
If you post this comment about North Korea, you can be lawfully killed.
Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by Bobyro: 6:41pm On Oct 02, 2020
NobleAngell:
I know this is coming late but Happy Independence Nigeria. I'm sorry for not valuing what we have here. At least this frying pan is better than fire (North Korea).
If we no complain, the leaders will make it worst
Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by thinkmoney(m): 6:43pm On Oct 02, 2020
Vianna:
If you commit a crime, your entire family goes to jail
When it comes to punishing citizens for misbehaviour, North Korea is about as hardline as countries get. Take the case of Jang Song Thaek, Kim Jong-un’s uncle, whom the Supreme Leader had executed in 2013. As part of a government purge by Kim, Uncle Jang was reportedly stripped and fed literally to the dogs.
For ordinary citizens, things aren’t much easier. If someone commits a crime, for example, they might not be the only ones who go to prison.
In North Korea, an apparent ‘three generations rule’ means that, if one person is jailed, their entire family might be too.

Credit
Get your fact right. The uncle that was rumored to have been executed has since been seen in public
Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by thinkmoney(m): 6:47pm On Oct 02, 2020
Vianna:
4. You’re only allowed to date someone if you plan on marrying them
Many things that we take for granted in the West, North Koreans are not allowed to do. This includes things like public displays of affection (including hugging and kissing, even for marries couples,) getting tattoos and having piercings.
North Korean men expect their brides to be chaste and to have been in no previous marriages. They must also be without child.
In the DPRK, if a woman gets divorced then it is always her fault and as such, she has very little chance of ever finding another husband. Domestic violence is not frowned upon and many men who abuse their wives will be supported by the government.
Again, Kim Jong-un gets a free pass to do what he likes with women. Female defectors from the country have described how school girls are pulled out of high school and taught how to become sex slaves and pleasure the notorious leader.
Honestly this smirk of lies...the type that was said against Gadhaffi. Authoritarians no doubt exhibit excesses, but they are also afraid
Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by thinkmoney(m): 6:50pm On Oct 02, 2020
Vianna:
Honorable mentions

In 2013, Kim Jong Un released a list of haircuts that people in the country are allowed. There are 28 (18 for women, 10 for men) state-approved hairstyles that people can keep.

Tourists visiting the country have to deposit their phones and computers and are allowed to take them back only before returning. Guides accompany tourists who must religiously follow the what guards say.

Falling asleep in a meeting while Kim speaks could fetch a capital punishment. North Korean defence minister Hyon Yong-chol was executed in 2015 with an anti-aircraft gun in front of over 100 people for having fallen asleep during one of Kim Jong Un's events.
Oh please...this person has since been seen in public. North Korea is far from perfect, bit we should be wary of how the west that you are obviously toying with your piece tries to paint people that are not in their circle of friends

1 Like

Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by henryobinna(m): 6:51pm On Oct 02, 2020
omenka:
China is a Communist state and one of the most economically and technologically advanced countries in the world. Whenever US and China sneeze, the world catches cold. China is poised to topple US as the world's dominant power, reason why we have this unending diplomatic skirmishes between the two countries.

So, what now would you say? Perhaps you'd shift your goal to "mention one country BESIDES CHINA".
You're a huge joke.

Maybe you should read my response to folks like you who keep parroting China is a communist state.
Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by thinkmoney(m): 6:52pm On Oct 02, 2020
lazypenguin2000:

I wish it was, but no

NK is an absolute dictatorship. Ruled for the beneft of the Kims and the Kims alone.
West actually engage in propaganda against people they don't like. Many of those things in that piece aren't accurate.
Many rumoured executions have since been seen to be inaccurate
Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by Kingzeez10: 6:53pm On Oct 02, 2020
solmus:

Some are real some are fake news

Imagine NatGeo a network whose HQ is domiciled in Washington DC America, and it's CEO is an American by the name Gary Knell

The very day North Korea surrenders it's nuclear program to US, and bows to Western Supremacist the very day US would start painting them differently

I talk am say you be techmo. I love reading your comments you're learned and exposed too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by Kingzeez10: 6:55pm On Oct 02, 2020
MyVILLAGEpeople:

Good morning sir. How can I connect to you ??. I want you to tutor me on somethings. Thanks
Tutor you on ethical hacking abi

Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by SaintLucia: 7:04pm On Oct 02, 2020
solmus:
cool

. Western Media Propaganda again

Confirmed propaganda. If u commit a crime, you carry your cross alone. There's nothing like sex for rice. Too many propaganda about the country from the western media.
Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by obstead200(m): 7:07pm On Oct 02, 2020
solmus:

My brother all this things are European and American propaganda... NorthKoreans have access to internet routed through Chinese servers, it's simply western propaganda that paint others weird

Typical US media or mainstream media give you the illusion that Iran is under very strict sanction and though regime ... But there are several Business to Business Transaction conduct accross many platform under US nose and Iran is doing quite fine... A picture attached is that of an Iranian B2B group one of the countless ones they conduct International trade with

you can't be a hacker, nuclear scientist , Missile lunching weapon maker and not have far better education and standard of living US portrays , they even went low to call them grass and tree bark eater

I agree with u. NK has restrictions. But it is not as bad as US and European media wants us to think
Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by Starzo: 7:07pm On Oct 02, 2020
All na Western media propaganda
I know north Korea is nowhere as bad as the op or western media make it seem
solmus:

Oh!! it isn't so... I have had privilege of chatting NorthKorean Hackers, and counterfeiters on Darkweb with the aide of a translator, they are even more sufisticated than Russian and Ukrainian hackers, and their prices are cheap

Now before I started using deepweb, I was of the opinion that NorthKoreans are completely locked out of internet, and they all leave in labour camps

The NorthKorean was also of the impression that Nigeria was an undeveloped rural village with huts , malnourished kids, HIV everywhere

Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by hakym619(m): 7:08pm On Oct 02, 2020
solmus:

My brother all this things are European and American propaganda... NorthKoreans have access to internet routed through Chinese servers, it's simply western propaganda that paint others weird

Typical US media or mainstream media give you the illusion that Iran is under very strict sanction and though regime ... But there are several Business to Business Transaction conduct accross many platform under US nose and Iran is doing quite fine... A picture attached is that of an Iranian B2B group one of the countless ones they conduct International trade with

you can't be a hacker, nuclear scientist , Missile lunching weapon maker and not have far better education and standard of living US portrays , they even went low to call them grass and tree bark eater

Solums , you're intelligent. I have a question I've always wanted to ask u.

Why does US like oppressing countries with Nuclear weapons wheres they have numerous of these weapons at their disposal.

Ate they stylishly trying to gain nuclear war upper hand ?
Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by solostar1: 7:09pm On Oct 02, 2020
Before you believe all this lies and exaggeration do you own research. A little trip to YouTube will help.

Imagine op saying that visitors must deposit their phone, while some YouTubers have filmed and is still filming their North Korean travel vlog.

That was how I used to believe all the lies about Iran until one of the most ,if not the most popular food YouTuber - Sunnyside travel and film his Iran food tour. He made over 10 video on Iran alone.

2 Likes

Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by Joshmanuel10(m): 7:16pm On Oct 02, 2020
I wonder y number 4 has so many likes? cry
Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by solmus: 7:20pm On Oct 02, 2020
hakym619:

Solums , you're intelligent. I have a question I've always wanted to ask u.

Why does US like oppressing countries with Nuclear weapons wheres they have numerous of these weapons at their disposal.

Ate they stylishly trying to gain nuclear war upper hand ?

US is not opressing anyone honestly (lol I know bro)

It's just survival, they make war weapory to sell for money, their control of Crude oil price is a major economic and powerful tool, every country that fell too us lost massive resources

As Buhari felt so big of himself first person he seemed was US and Trump's America with $350m USD super tucerno deal, same way Saudi seeked 1billion USD Arms trade
Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by obstead200(m): 7:21pm On Oct 02, 2020
KingAzubuike:

They might not be propaganda. There are alot of documentaries I watched on natgeo about NK. Undercover agents with the aid of secret cams. Some of those things are real. And below is a quote from quora

North Korea is a very isolated nation, and deliberately so - I hope you will agree with me on that much? It is therefore nearly impossible to know anything in detail. Most of what we do know comes from defectors - people from North Korea who escaped. There are many books and documentaries about their experiences if you want to know about life in North Korea.

Needless to say, you will need to work very hard to disprove their accounts.

We also have things like satellite imagery, DPRK state broadcasts, and a handful of people who risk much to smuggle technology into the country who can report on what people tell them. The rest is a process of fitting the pieces together and making deductions.

As for why there might be lies and propaganda: I really can’t think of a reason. North Korea just isn’t that important.

Cc solmus hustla
oga forget Quora joor.
And........

How dare u claim that a nation with nuclear armaments (who also does not stoop to lick the arse of US and the EU) is not important enough to the US to start a massive propaganda against? How then will US gather the international support and also build sufficient alliance against such nation? Do u realise the possible threat such a nation poses to US coveted status as the bully of the world?

I think u know very little about international politics and strategy

2 Likes

Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by ViVaMadrid: 7:24pm On Oct 02, 2020
yaki84:

Bro NK is bad, any country that is secretive and does not allow foreign media houses to capture it is evil. Let's say BBC and CNN are western media, how about Al Jazeera is it western too?
When Kim was ill, nobody knew what happened, it was all speculation till he surface again.

Funny to mention All Jazeera, a Qatari media as different from CNN and her likes. Qatar is one of the United State's ever willing stooges
Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by obstead200(m): 7:29pm On Oct 02, 2020
DonroxyII:
And US is the enemy to all of them ... He help them create problem, help them fuel it by supporting one against the other , Then Started selling weapons both ways profiting both way.

Capitalism is cannibalism!!
the gospel truth ooooo. US is the real enemy of the world. They profit from the conflicts hence they subtly sustain it while pretending to be trying to resolve the conflicts. They only make serious effort to resolve the conflicts when it hits too close to home or directly impacts on their overseas economic or strategic interests
Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by futurerex: 7:34pm On Oct 02, 2020
solmus:

Oh!! it isn't so... I have had privilege of chatting NorthKorean Hackers, and counterfeiters on Darkweb with the aide of a translator, they are even more sufisticated than Russian and Ukrainian hackers, and their prices are cheap

Now before I started using deepweb, I was of the opinion that NorthKoreans are completely locked out of internet, and they all leave in labour camps

The NorthKorean was also of the impression that Nigeria was an undeveloped rural village with huts , malnourished kids, HIV everywhere

Please, put me through darkweb. I always come across scammers over there.
Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by harmony75: 7:39pm On Oct 02, 2020
nawa o April 15th, 16th you can't get married blablabla !! hope they can also stop death and from being born on these days!
Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by Nobody: 7:40pm On Oct 02, 2020
solmus:

u get it right. NK has higher literacy rate than US. Their technology is excellent. That's why I avoid reading some opinions here because they're mostly hear-say and full of rumours and propaganda.

1 Like

Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by omenka(m): 7:49pm On Oct 02, 2020
henryobinna:
You're a huge joke.

Maybe you should read my response to folks like you who keep parroting China is a communist state.
Thinking I was even attempting to debate a sensible adult, didnt realise you're one of those ignorant little arrogant kids around here.

My apologies for the mistake.

Good night.
Re: Ten Of The Craziest Things About Life In North Korea by Mars16(m): 7:49pm On Oct 02, 2020
Vianna:
If you commit a crime, your entire family goes to jail
When it comes to punishing citizens for misbehaviour, North Korea is about as hardline as countries get. Take the case of Jang Song Thaek, Kim Jong-un’s uncle, whom the Supreme Leader had executed in 2013. As part of a government purge by Kim, Uncle Jang was reportedly stripped and fed literally to the dogs.
For ordinary citizens, things aren’t much easier. If someone commits a crime, for example, they might not be the only ones who go to prison.
In North Korea, an apparent ‘three generations rule’ means that, if one person is jailed, their entire family might be too.

Credit
It has existed since time immemorial, in the Gorgyeo and Joseon dynasty of Korea.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Turkey Shoots Down Russian Jet Near Syrian Border / Exclusive Graphic Images From Israel By First Responders / Kenya Hotel Attack: Special Forces Taking Position (More Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.