Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,241 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:42 AM

Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? (29154 Views)

Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin / King Onwa 'Eze Awo' Disgraced For Insulting Imo King Online. Photos/Videos / Bode Thomas Died Of Barking After Insulting Alaafin Of Oyo. How True? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by techmo(m): 10:55am On Oct 05, 2020
Samiah33:

why did you use "Sir" ? we claim to be exposed and see what our exposure has cause us, go to Japan and see how with all the money they have they still believe in their culture

Because he is a sir, and greetings to elderly in English should carry sir/ma

And your culture and my culture are definitely not the same

Where I come from in Yoruba land, after greeting an elder Ekaro!! Good Morning, or Ekule , you add Bawo ni Gbo nkan, bawo Lara yin, and other similar How are you Sir questions

1 Like

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Solatium(m): 10:56am On Oct 05, 2020
mikezuruki:
I have noticed that adults in this part of the world perceive that to be insult.

They feel belittled and disrespected.

Why?

How are you sir or ma WILL NEBER BE VIEW DISRESPETFUL by anyone.

A 20yr old saying how are you to a anyone above 40yr is highly disrespectful,I will ask such a person if YOU CAN SAY HOW ARE YOU TO YOUR FATHER,MOTHER,UNCLE OR AUNTY without adding sir/ma

1 Like

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Fucsheetup(f): 10:56am On Oct 05, 2020
IamD18:
If you see your elder. GREET and ask no unnecessary question.

Simple.
Olodo
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by cmecproblem(m): 10:56am On Oct 05, 2020
In fact I prefer asking people- how are you? It shows concern, not Hi, Hello...
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Osas4lav(m): 10:56am On Oct 05, 2020
Most people that say how are you in Nigeria say it not coz they really are interested in knowing but coz a part of us knows its what we say when the person is younger, i personally use it for people younger than i am, I'll rather use "how's it going?" for older people. I learnt also that how was your night to a woman is a wrong question.
I schooled in the west, innocent me stretch hand to shake my HOD in year one, see eye when the man take look me, body tell me make i drop hand after em hang my hand. I never did that again to elders in the west. So it's the culture just flow with it. In China they retain their culture till date even though they wear suits now, so let's just respect it.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Fucsheetup(f): 10:57am On Oct 05, 2020
Kamdil:
In this part of the world it isn't polite by African tradition. You don't relate with an older person in such manner, that is lack of courtesy. It can only be proper after greeting him, and accord him that respect, then you can now say, ' how are you sir/ma'
Or how are you doing sir/ma.
Not 'how are you' like he is you mate
All of you are crazy.
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by mattmogan88: 10:57am On Oct 05, 2020
I find how far disrespectful not how are you. Instead of little children to greet you. they will ask you how far instead, who does that

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Fucsheetup(f): 10:57am On Oct 05, 2020
lefulefu:
its how we were raised in naija i guess.I also bet u would get offended if a ten yr old child asked u how are u doing cheesy
Imagine this mentality. Are you a god and is the kid a goat? Isn’t he a human being? Una Dey chop respect?
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by bolajinoni1(m): 10:58am On Oct 05, 2020
mikezuruki:
I have noticed that adults in this part of the world perceive that to be insult.

Why?
the you mean how are you or how are you sir/ma? If you want 2 talk to your elders you have to talk and ask questions with respect . This not about money, you yourself can't accept it from your Juniors or child.
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Fucsheetup(f): 10:58am On Oct 05, 2020
akmaldini:
I also found that insulting especially when the person is much more younger than i am...
You find it insulting that someone younger than you wants to know how you’re doing?
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Fucsheetup(f): 11:00am On Oct 05, 2020
bolajinoni1:
the you mean how are you or how are you sir/ma? If you want 2 talk to your elders you have to talk and ask questions with respect . This not about money, you yourself can't accept it from your Juniors or child.
Give one cogent, reasonable reason apart from the foolish god complex African adults have why ‘How are you?’ Is Disrespect?
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by SIRRITE: 11:00am On Oct 05, 2020
We as an africa has a culture, dont bring any man culture or way of greetings to another.
In africa we are taught on how to greet and the words to use while greeting our elders, age groups, and young once.
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by EazyJ(f): 11:00am On Oct 05, 2020
SirMichael1:
How far?
tongue
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by sylve11: 11:01am On Oct 05, 2020
AbuAeesha:
if u meet an elder, greeting is enough, good morning...
why must you ask how are you

grin grin cool
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by ejanla077: 11:02am On Oct 05, 2020
BornnAgainChild:
How are you can be termed an insult when it's coming from a much younger person.

I think the problem is most people dont understand English Language, it's not just to speak it fluently that matters, rather ; do you understand what you speak

For instance ,

On a fateful morning, I got to work and instead of one of my boy to simply say Good Morning, he said " Mama, How you dey "

Throughout that day hell was let loose on him for that.

So wats wrong with mama how u dey
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Piston65(m): 11:02am On Oct 05, 2020
Iyoocartel:
Iyooooooo cartel

Adults with low self esteem precisely.
For ogbe even some broke lame ass adults find how va Insulting, they always feel they should be the one to ask you how va and you tell them how you are.

Those mugus don't know it's money that's seniority cool
I don dey watch your comments since. I dey feel you. grin
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Grandmeister(m): 11:02am On Oct 05, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:
MY BEST PART IS WHEN I LEAVE MONEY FOR THEM ON THE GROUND (OR WHEREVER) BECAUSE THEY REFUSE TO TAKE IT FROM MY LEFT HAND.
THESE ARE IRRELEVANT CONSTRUCTED SOCIAL NONSENSES THAT SHOULD BE DROPPED, BUT NO, WE PREFER TO CLING TO ARCHAIC BELIEFS AND TRADITIONS.
It is those traditions that define who you are..you have shunned your identity for modernism that is why you don’t even know your history and why others tell your story for you. You have removed the boundaries of your fathers and allowed strangers to dictate affairs for you. ‘Woke’ Africans smh.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by sylve11: 11:03am On Oct 05, 2020
techmo:
cool

Na proud unexposed people dey take awayu as insult

I once worked for a customer who is rich and elderly, and when ever I ask him how are you sir his workers would start looking at me somehow as if I insulted their boss, however the man would simply say his mind in a jovial manner, like I asked how he was and he smiled and was telling me he isn't fine over his EPL clubs defeat and we joked

at least you must have greeted him good morning, good afternoon or good evening sir before you proceeded to ask him ''how are you''. abi nor be so? grin cool

1 Like

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by kwasoly(m): 11:03am On Oct 05, 2020
mikezuruki:

Why?

Let's call a spade a spade how will a child walk up to you without greeting you and ask you how are you? Who does that
How are you unto age mate or ur elder?
Haba now I wasn't trained that way abeg,I can't try it my elder so nobody should try it with me. This has nothing to do with self esteem.
It has everything to do with home training. QED
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by vaxx: 11:03am On Oct 05, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:
MY BEST PART IS WHEN I LEAVE MONEY FOR THEM ON THE GROUND (OR WHEREVER) BECAUSE THEY REFUSE TO TAKE IT FROM MY LEFT HAND.
THESE ARE IRRELEVANT CONSTRUCTED SOCIAL NONSENSES THAT SHOULD BE DROPPED, BUT NO, WE PREFER TO CLING TO ARCHAIC BELIEFS AND TRADITIONS.
even in the western world, left handed are rejected for any transaction and it is consider a taboo ( i know of Germany precisely)talkless more of africa . You shouldnt be eating with your toe even if you find it conducive.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by hardon1(m): 11:03am On Oct 05, 2020
Its a cultural thing. And it doesn't go down well expecially when coming from a much younger person to an elderly. Its is believed such term should be used within persons of same age bracket or range.

Like someone commented, simply adding sir changes every thing.

Here in Nigeria, good morning sir/ma or good morning papa this or mama that is what is perceived OK..

Even a younger person calling a much older one by his/her first name without a sir or ma prefix is considered an insult(for me I like this one sha). That's why those days in primary and sec school... We sometimes fight when a fellow classmate calls our father's name.

Its a part of what our culture perceive as respect. And to me I don't see any problem with it. It is not a dehumanizing element of our culture like female circumcision, child marriage, widowhood subjugation etc that we need worry about and flush out

1 Like

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by themaestro08(m): 11:05am On Oct 05, 2020
Kamdil:
In this part of the world it isn't polite by African tradition. You don't relate with an older person in such manner, that is lack of courtesy. It can only be proper after greeting him, and accord him that respect, then you can now say, ' how are you sir/ma'
Or how are you doing sir/ma.
Not 'how are you' like he is you mate

As an African and more to importantly as someone brought up the Nigerian traditional way it might sound odd and disrespectful, but that's archaic and reeks of lack of exposure and open-mindness.

As far as am concerned its a harmless and innocuous greeting.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by techmo(m): 11:06am On Oct 05, 2020
sylve11:

at least you must have greeted him good morning, good afternoon or good evening sir before you proceeded to ask him ''how are you''. abi nor be so? grin cool

Ofcoarse I did lol.. not just how are you
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Teespice(f): 11:06am On Oct 05, 2020
kingreign:
i don't find it belittling & disrespectful. I can't tell about others.

Me too.
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by kollysnut(m): 11:07am On Oct 05, 2020
mikezuruki:

Why?

just add Sir or Ma..........
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Princessbettyj(f): 11:07am On Oct 05, 2020
Iyoocartel:

Iyooooooo cartel

Enugu wink wink
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Princessbettyj(f): 11:07am On Oct 05, 2020
Vyzz:
Who the hel finds "How are u" disrespectful?

My question is why do girls find it difficult to reply to #how far?"

It's mean sex grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Crownstar01: 11:09am On Oct 05, 2020
mikezuruki:

Why?
Because I feel they don't understand the literal meaning of English as a language.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Nmezor(f): 11:09am On Oct 05, 2020
Charmingrascal:
Tone of saying something matters
Yeah so true...But then its not really offensive if the person being asked was ill/ just recovered
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by sylve11: 11:12am On Oct 05, 2020
uuzba:

Then, damnNigger will escalate the initial beating to killing.

Do not ask you elder "How are you". It is not you business.

hmmm cool
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by sylve11: 11:13am On Oct 05, 2020
wacuc0:

It will not the best of me to go to his house and knock and he comes out I ask Brother How are you? But it is not really an insult

abeg make i laugh small grin grin cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Photos From The Osun Osogbo Festival / Olu Of Warri Receives T'suut'ina Highest Honor In Canada / Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.