Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,191 members, 7,825,734 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 09:47 PM

Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? (34573 Views)

Two Jobs I Will Advice My Children Against. / Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic / N85k Bank Contract Staff Job Vs N50k Public School Teaching Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by JIMMY1393: 1:34pm On Oct 07, 2020
Durentt:
what I wanted to say. it would have been better if the university was federal.

Are you ok? What private uni do you know that doesn't pay? Isn't it federal that doesn't pay...isn't that why ASUU strike exists? Abi is today opposite day
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by joeking2222: 1:35pm On Oct 07, 2020
shocked.........bro, abeg where the secondary school dey? Am over interested!!!!! Like seriously, i will gv my 101% best!!!! Abeg, link me up for Christ sake!!!!
Emir8:

Here is the time schedule:

Secondary school: 8:00AM - 4:00PM
University: 8:00AM - 6:00PM

I used to teach some Lebanese and Pakistanis children private lessons from 4:30 to 6:30 in which I make up to N58,000 a month. I have to sacrifice that too if I accept the university work
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by ugoblaque8(m): 1:48pm On Oct 07, 2020
STAY IN THE SECONDARY SCHOOL,
START UP PhD ASAP...
BY THE TIME YOU ARE DONE,YOU SURELY WILL GET A BIGGER OFFER IN A BIGGER UNIVERSITY..

YOUR TARGET SHOULD BE TO START AND FINISH UP THE PhD...
Those allowances will also go a long way in sustaining you in the course of your PhD pursuit...
Kudos....

2 Likes

Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by frubben(m): 1:50pm On Oct 07, 2020
iaamxavier:

Can you teach these kids forever? No!
Think about career prospects rather than the current pay!
Do you know how lecturers make their money?
From sales of hand out and textbook
Imagine you get to sell handouts at the rate of 1k to 100 students per department and you're lecturing about 5 departments (100Level)
Do the math
As a lecturer you can't possibly have class from 8-6PM
Every school session ends by 4pm
I don't want to including sorting grin because that's corruption
Anyways its still your choice to make
Just lent my advice
I look you laugh , you are using government institution to advice the op. The op said it's a private uni not public oooooo. Be guided
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by KOE1(m): 1:51pm On Oct 07, 2020
I am not sure you need anyone to instruct you Oga teacher.

It is your destiny, if you are really university stuff, no one should guide you about career prospects.

I am sorry if I sound rude, a confused person is not yet ripe to be a University teacher, so I will advise you spend another 15 years in your secondary school before accepting the university offer. You are getting 96K + 58K and your head is swelling, poor you! Very soon you will get Secondary School Grant...Mweh.

Maybe I should ask you whether your discipline teaches senses or if the secondary school is your inheritance.

If the secondary school is your destiny so be it but if you are going to pursue university teaching in the future I am very sure that your classmate will be your VC.

A word they say is enough for the wise!
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Marisujuaku(f): 1:51pm On Oct 07, 2020
Hello house. Your girl needs a teaching job. NCE/B.ED. I teach English/ literature. I graduated last year and Corona stalled NYSC. I need something else. Also, I'm soliciting for someone that will link me to a good market where I can buy a bale of Okrika bags, first grade at a good price. My last market was Nigeriafied. I seriously lost money. My email is ujumaureen6@gmail.com. Mercie.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by kinethic: 1:59pm On Oct 07, 2020
[quote author=Emir8 post=94674583]Hello Nairalander,
I really need advice concerning making a choice between the two jobs before me. My family members are divided over which job I should choose.

I'm working in a highbrow secondary school and my start up salary was N75,000. After three years, my salary is now N96,000.00. I just got a lecturing job with a private university and my gross salary according to the appointment letter is N88,000.00. My father wants me to continue with my teaching in the secondary school but my mother and fiancee are pressuring me to write acceptance letter to the university and accept the offer. There's no time, both the university and the secondary school will be resuming on 12/10/2020 and I have to make a choice between now and Thursday. My fiancee is already calling herself "wife of a lecturer" and threatening that she will quit the relationship if I did not accept the university offer. My mind is in the secondary school because there is free lunch and N150,000.00 housing allowance per year, but the university doesn't give lunch and housing allowance.

Should I go and become Mr. Lecturer and sacrifice my secondary school benefits?[/quote
]

Don't be stupid please stay in the secondary school. Are you insane ?
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by lawman88(m): 2:05pm On Oct 07, 2020
adeleks:

What school will say you can't do your doctoral studies until 3 years. You better run for your life and stay where you are. If you don't mind, what's the name of this school so that people will run from it.
Check my profile and former thread
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by reaky(m): 2:12pm On Oct 07, 2020
much30:

I will advise you to listen to your father, continue with the secondary school and aim to become a principal in one of those aisen schools. Most of those private university can own you for months, I am talking from experience. To make money through text books may be nearly impossible because they don't have much students as compare to public universities. Why not continue with the secondary school, get your PhD then apply in public universities and by his grace you may get job. Listen to your father.

You said it all o
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by LikeAking: 2:20pm On Oct 07, 2020
bukatyne:

The OP should make a life changing decision because of access to more sex?

Go and wash your head seven times in the Lagoon.

It is desperately needed. undecided

They dis dey deceive yourself.

You think dis world is ment for holy people abi?
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by LikeAking: 2:22pm On Oct 07, 2020
tiger28:
at 88k with masters And you can't even start your PHD Your can see the Handwriting of how they will be treating you. I will stay in the Secondary School and plan my Hustles around it . This isn't your time to be a lecturer!

Na d P unis sure pass
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by LikeAking: 2:23pm On Oct 07, 2020
YoungDaNaval:
Like seriously? How old are you

Keep forming holy man.

lets see wia you will end up.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by LikeAking: 2:26pm On Oct 07, 2020
Emir8:

Not interested in having informal relationship with any babe

story.

Take the P uni job lets see.

u dey form holy.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by obyrich(m): 2:28pm On Oct 07, 2020
Emir8:

I have master degree and want to start my PhD next year. The university told me that I can't start PhD until I work for them for 3 years. That is another thing I'm considering. The secondary school will allow me to go for PhD
Don't ever accept that University offer!
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Nyanabo(m): 2:32pm On Oct 07, 2020
This should be your personal decision without any outside influence.

But, you can't make a career out of teaching in a secondary school no matter the pay. I believe in the long run teaching in a university would look good on your resume and it would open more opportunities to maybe become a part time lecturer in other universities.

Warm regards !
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by femmoy(m): 2:34pm On Oct 07, 2020
DontBullshitMe:
What are your long term goals?

You can't be a secondary school teacher forever. I assume that once you get to a certain age, you will be discarded. This is the reason why most veteran secondary school teachers in both private/public sector honourably start their own private school after several years of service.

This begs the question : Is that what you want for yourself?

On the other hand, taking the Private University lecturing job brings a certain level of pedigree to you, offers better career experience/prospects and possibly your phD will be subsidized.

What exactly of these do you want for yourself??

didn't u see where he said he intends going for his PhD? most of u close ur eyes to read.
@OP: please follow ur dad's advise and kindly upgrade urself as u do. you will get a state or federal government university upon completion.
as for ur GF,she can go to hell for all I care if she's not pleased with your decision.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by AmbassadoR100(m): 2:41pm On Oct 07, 2020
Bro.. Don't answer to pressure or pride. Answer to your pocket and follow your heart. Na Man u b!
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by focus7: 3:07pm On Oct 07, 2020
Emir8:
Hello Nairalander,
I really need advice concerning making a choice between the two jobs before me. My family members are divided over which job I should choose.

I'm working in a highbrow secondary school and my start up salary was N75,000. After three years, my salary is now N96,000.00. I just got a lecturing job with a private university and my gross salary according to the appointment letter is N88,000.00. My father wants me to continue with my teaching in the secondary school but my mother and fiancee are pressuring me to write acceptance letter to the university and accept the offer. There's no time, both the university and the secondary school will be resuming on 12/10/2020 and I have to make a choice between now and Thursday. My fiancee is already calling herself "wife of a lecturer" and threatening that she will quit the relationship if I did not accept the university offer. My mind is in the secondary school because there is free lunch and N150,000.00 housing allowance per year, but the university doesn't give lunch and housing allowance.

Should I go and become Mr. Lecturer and sacrifice my secondary school benefits?

The new job will exposé you to more opportunity and experiences, the secondary school job will limit you.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Nonybest463: 3:14pm On Oct 07, 2020
With all these advice, l believe you more confused. cool shocked

Moral lesson: Always follow ur heart, at times people opinions don't matter
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Emotionss: 3:20pm On Oct 07, 2020
[color=#006600][/color]
Emir8:

Thanks dear

Stay in the secondary school, get your PhD, then apply for federal university.

That's what I will do if I am in your shoes.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by heskeyw(m): 3:23pm On Oct 07, 2020
Mehn it's hard to choose one but for me, I will move to the University. It will boost ur CV, stay there for the 3 years, apply for PhD. In the future, if u want to be employed as a lecturer in a federal University in the future , it will be easier for you as a former lecturer in a private university, than as a secondary school teacher. The experience matters a lot, not the finance.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by lawman88(m): 3:41pm On Oct 07, 2020
Thank you all
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by lawman88(m): 3:47pm On Oct 07, 2020
kelechiodo:

Which private University gives you room to sell handout. Even your text book is strictly monitored and amount to be sold fixed by the school. You lecture till 6pm because there is register to sign off. Atimes your original certificates are seized by the school. In fact you don't know what happens in private University. Op just run.
Thank you. The university sacked 90% of their staff during the covid-19 and want us to replace them. No job security at all there.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Oct 07, 2020
Emir8:
Hello Nairalander,

Oga, first of all l am very impressed with what you do. To the question above, from all your write ups, l deduced that you love your current job as a secondary School teacher, with a good pay, a hope for more increment, freedom to further your career(PhD), and also chances to grow in the system. I also know you have filled a space in the hearts of those kids you teach, which include their parents, and you can never tell the kind of connection that might spring out from it.
Please keep your current job, do your PhD afterall good things don't end, and many opportunities will surely come and by then, you will not be confused or unprepared for it.
During school mid term break and long vacation, you can still set up a business if you wish, like farming or buying properties that doesn't necessarily require your presence. Forget what your financee is saying, she is not after the future or career improvement, she is after the social status that comes with being a lecturer than a secondary School teacher. But what they don't know is that ,there is nothing low about being a secondary School teacher in a prestigious school, it is a privilege for few people, please do the right and I wish you the best.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by na2016: 3:55pm On Oct 07, 2020
iaamxavier:
I would advice you go for the lecturing job

There's high chances of salary increment in universities
Also if you know your onions there's also high chances of you becoming a senior lecturer within time

Also you have more time as a lecturer to start up a business to support your self and family

You get to meet a lot of influential people since its a private university
If you behave like the "Nigerian Lecturer" You'll make it big time if you know what I mean grin

Secondary school job isn't secured at all as you can easily be replaced at any slightest issue, But its all about fulfillment. If you feel fulfilled there you can as well stay back

So you are telling him to be collecting egunje aka sorting? chai
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by fayruka(m): 4:15pm On Oct 07, 2020
Don't leave your secondary school job bro. it's better than a private uni job except incase it's a federal job.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Libatine: 4:18pm On Oct 07, 2020
[color=#006600][/color]
TheAgeOfTRUTH:

Oga, first of all l am very impressed with what you do. To the question above, from all your write ups, l deduced that you love your current job as a secondary School teacher, with a good pay, a hope for more increment, freedom to further your career(PhD), and also chances to grow in the system. I also know you have filled a space in the hearts of those kids you teach, which include their parents, and you can never tell the kind of connection that might spring out from it.
Please keep your current job, do your PhD afterall good things don't end, and many opportunities will surely come and by then, you will not be confused or unprepared for it.
During school mid term break and long vacation, you can still set up a business if you wish, like farming or buying properties that doesn't necessarily require your presence. Forget what your financee is saying, she is not after the future or career improvement, she is after the social status that comes with being a lecturer than a secondary School teacher. But what they don't know is that ,there is nothing low about being a secondary School teacher in a prestigious school, it is a privilege for few people, please do the right and I wish you the best.

Listen to this. �
After ur PhD look out for recruitment in public universities & switch.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Crispels(m): 4:21pm On Oct 07, 2020
lereinter:

If you have not included the threat from your fiancee to your cock and bull story I would have contributed

You don't know your onions

Baba contribute. Make people learn abeg.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Oct 07, 2020
Emir8:
Hello Nairalander,

Remain where you are.

You could only consider that lecturing job if "it was a federal university."

Your fiancée has spoken like a typical confused woman.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by crackhaus: 4:29pm On Oct 07, 2020
bukatyne:

The OP should make a life changing decision because of access to more sex?

Go and wash your head seven times in the Lagoon.

It is desperately needed. undecided
Lmao... so you have sharp tongue like this cheesycheesy
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Oct 07, 2020
Emir8:

Here is the time schedule:

Secondary school: 8:00AM - 4:00PM
University: 8:00AM - 6:00PM

I used to teach some Lebanese and Pakistanis children private lessons from 4:30 to 6:30 in which I make up to N58,000 a month. I have to sacrifice that too if I accept the university work

You already have your answer.

Stay put joor.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Men Are Subject To Sexual Harassment At Work More Often Than We Think!!! / Lady Sacked For Refusing To Say Good Morning To Her Co-Worker / Funke Abimbola And Her 23 Pages Of CV Got People Talking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.