Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,537 members, 7,823,340 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:57 AM

Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? (34559 Views)

Two Jobs I Will Advice My Children Against. / Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic / N85k Bank Contract Staff Job Vs N50k Public School Teaching Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by realtalk19: 12:28pm On Oct 07, 2020
Emir8:
Hello Nairalander,
I really need advice concerning making a choice between the two jobs before me. My family members are divided over which job I should choose.

I'm working in a highbrow secondary school and my start up salary was N75,000. After three years, my salary is now N96,000.00. I just got a lecturing job with a private university and my gross salary according to the appointment letter is N88,000.00. My father wants me to continue with my teaching in the secondary school but my mother and fiancee are pressuring me to write acceptance letter to the university and accept the offer. There's no time, both the university and the secondary school will be resuming on 12/10/2020 and I have to make a choice between now and Thursday. My fiancee is already calling herself "wife of a lecturer" and threatening that she will quit the relationship if I did not accept the university offer. My mind is in the secondary school because there is free lunch and N150,000.00 housing allowance per year, but the university doesn't give lunch and housing allowance.

Should I go and become Mr. Lecturer and sacrifice my secondary school benefits?

Hold on to the private secondary school post and be firm in ur discision. If your girlfriend like let her go she isn't meant for you. A better spouse will take over .

1 Like

Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by kelechiodo(m): 12:29pm On Oct 07, 2020
iaamxavier:

Can you teach these kids forever? No!
Think about career prospects rather than the current pay!
Do you know how lecturers make their money?
From sales of hand out and textbook
Imagine you get to sell handouts at the rate of 1k to 100 students per department and you're lecturing about 5 departments (100Level)
Do the math
As a lecturer you can't possibly have class from 8-6PM
Every school session ends by 4pm
I don't want to including sorting grin because that's corruption
Anyways its still your choice to make
Just lent my advice
Which private University gives you room to sell handout. Even your text book is strictly monitored and amount to be sold fixed by the school. You lecture till 6pm because there is register to sign off. Atimes your original certificates are seized by the school. In fact you don't know what happens in private University. Op just run.

1 Like

Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by worldclass68(m): 12:32pm On Oct 07, 2020
But one could be layed off just anytime in a private uni, I suppose that ur current job is govt owned!.....

Just follow ur heart...

I'll quit that relationship, I hate threatening in my life..... imagine
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by vickydevoka(m): 12:34pm On Oct 07, 2020
KayyDee:
Hello @OP

First, I want to say that it depends on the kind of person you are.
If you are an ambitious type (like myself) you would realize that ambitiousness does not look primal at money, but achievement, fulfilment, and steady growth.

Having said that, each option has its PROS & CONS.

For the Secondary School, the only PRO i Immediately see is the higher pay/other benefits (which I consider just a slight financial advantage)

However, I dont know how that Secondary School will afford to pay you as much as say 250k in the next 7 years.
Because, the truth is that yes they will increase you r salary, but they are not government owned, so it can't be guaranteed nor necessarily commensurate with the time you've spent in there.

And don't forget that sooner, 96k wont mean much to you as you marry and have a few kids to your family.

But when it cones to Lecturing work; initially, especially on financial grounds, it seemed quite the lesser offer. Then, there's this issue of being a private University...and we know that since it's not Government owned, it can be a bit dicey when it comes to steady promotions, and how much each promotions are worth in salary increments.

But the major advantages of a university (even a private one) are listed below:

1) You are more likely to grow with additional education, like getting your PHD.
Besides, when you have that PHD, you can more easily get a much higher placement in another university (even Federal) seeking to fill Lecturing openings/Positions in say, Lecture 1, Lecturer 2 or even A senior Lecture.
These positions i listed above are well paid in most Schools.

2) Again, you get to meet rich and influential people whom you teach their wards ( although I imagine that your current Secondary school job may be affording you this same privilege already and perhaps, even better at secondary school level, giving that the kids are still young, and so, parents tend to hitch them up with a good teacher at this leve l for better care)

3) As a lecture, you will have much time to pursue other endeavours (even if the chance is not there right now as a beginner, you'll figure it out sooner as you progress)

4) You could become an author easily and sell your books. If you are in the sciences, you could become a major researcher, and that could open you up to international repute, and could bring you research grants too.

5) Finally, being a lecturer places you higher in the society, regardless of the salary, and so it could build you up to a better equipped man. This could help you land better appointments or positions in the future.

Very Importantly;
Before choosing the Private University, be sure they are doing well as a School, I mean, already well established.

So, that you don't get in, and realize that they tend to owe salaries at the end of the month, or that most of their courses are not yet accredited.
All these may mean that the university could close up any time, and you will feel worse, having left a seemingly better paying job for it.

Just carry out some research about the school, and how reputable and suitable they are for your General life plans, and do your due diligence.

However, in all these, you should follow your own heart the most. Some people prefer teaching and mentoring younger children, as against teaching in the university.
So, if you are like that, and much more happy in the Secondary School, then stay on, and you will most probably be happy and fulfilled in the future.

But, avoid using current pay package as your major reason for reaching any conclusions, for tables can so easily turn

Finally, your Fiancee is only doing what some women tend to do (preferring to be called a wife of someone seemingly more respected in the society)

But threatening to leave a relationship on that grounds is all shades of wrong, and I totally frown at such.
Hence, I have no reason to try and convince such a woman to stay, if she's no longer comfortable with me and whatever LEGITIMATE stuff I choose to do with my own life.

It's your life, it's your decision to take, although it's a good thing to consult people in your life about important life decisions like this one, so as to get their input, listen to their legitimate concerns, allay their fears and convince them where needed, or maybe amend where needed. By so doing, reassuring them of your respect for their opinion, and because good communication is the lifeblood of any relationship.

But to arm-twist you into choosing what they like, instead of what you like, is a no no for me.
So, be strong-hearted about what you love and choose, regardless of what others want to cajole or emotionally blackmail you into choosing.

So, think deeply with all these points I listed above, and if you are honest to yourself, you will easily come to a solution good for your heart and life too.
Is de wife a handicap
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Decaf: 12:36pm On Oct 07, 2020
In my own little opinion, I would advice u to continue with ur sec school job. Infact in a year, 2 or 3 years, u can even get another offer in a federal University or any company of your choice. As long as you're not tired of your present place of work, just continue your work cos it's a better place.

And as for ur fiancee, pls don't wait for her to end the relationship. You yourself end it ASAP! Cos I don't know how a lady will say such thing out of her mouth. My brother, Such lady is not a wife material (Sorry to say that). If she can't continue with the relationship because of ur decision, There's no need of begging such lady. There are plenty Ladies out there who are ready to reason with their husband and support his decision positively.

1 Like

Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by olakan22: 12:37pm On Oct 07, 2020
Working in a University can open up for opportunities for you in academics but caution here. Private Universities may no be as secure as they seem. You don't want to be thrown out because of some economic downturn.

Looks like your secondary school job is secure. But you need to start thinking long term.

Your fiancee's threat is quite unfortunate. You may have to do some careful evaluation of your relationship. I don't think it's fair you be backed to a corner like that. I don't think you should make a decision based on her threat. Although a patient explanation of your concerns is desirable.

In the end, consider your options carefully and think about long term career goals too.
I wish you God's best

1 Like

Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by adeleks: 12:37pm On Oct 07, 2020
Emir8:

I have master degree and want to start my PhD next year. The university told me that I can't start PhD until I work for them for 3 years. That is another thing I'm considering. The secondary school will allow me to go for PhD
What school will say you can't do your doctoral studies until 3 years. You better run for your life and stay where you are. If you don't mind, what's the name of this school so that people will run from it.

1 Like

Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by HAccord: 12:39pm On Oct 07, 2020
Mayflowa:

I am a lecturer in a federal university currently studying abroad. When I saw your comparison, I almost call you a fool for deliberating a university job over secondary school job until I saw this. The private university is not towards your best interest. A university employer is suppose to hammer on faculty growth not the other way round. Don't even imagine you can get extra money from this university. You would be sacked! And why are they giving you such long hours of work( 10 hours per day). This is the kind of place that would use you and drain you. I will advice you go talk to new employees in the school to see are they are coping. Please go for the exploits with your fiancee so she will get firsthand account. She is scared you making the wrong decision while she is alive. Right now, she is sold on names. Of course, she won't leave you. I think it is best for you to continue your secondary school job and start studying toward your PhD. Write standard text books in your subject area. I believe you will get a good university after your PhD. Most importantly, you should be looking towards writing GRE and applying to US universities. PhD students are paid like N500k monthly to be a student. Follow the application process on TRAVELS

Hello Chief, I believe your opinion on my thread below will be of inestimable value. Please open the link and share your thoughts.

Regards.

https://www.nairaland.com/6157663/phd-holders-one-find-job
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Judolisco(m): 12:41pm On Oct 07, 2020
Emir8:
Hello Nairalander,
I really need advice concerning making a choice between the two jobs before me. My family members are divided over which job I should choose.

I'm working in a highbrow secondary school and my start up salary was N75,000. After three years, my salary is now N96,000.00. I just got a lecturing job with a private university and my gross salary according to the appointment letter is N88,000.00. My father wants me to continue with my teaching in the secondary school but my mother and fiancee are pressuring me to write acceptance letter to the university and accept the offer. There's no time, both the university and the secondary school will be resuming on 12/10/2020 and I have to make a choice between now and Thursday. My fiancee is already calling herself "wife of a lecturer" and threatening that she will quit the relationship if I did not accept the university offer. My mind is in the secondary school because there is free lunch and N150,000.00 housing allowance per year, but the university doesn't give lunch and housing allowance.

what stops u from doing both? If it is d time factor stay at the secondary sch complete your PhD apply for a federal/state lecturing job... U already have teaching experience
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by imdavid704(f): 12:41pm On Oct 07, 2020
the devil u kmow is better than the devil u have never met
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by HAccord: 12:48pm On Oct 07, 2020
Supercaddy:

You can NEVER EVER COMPARE A PRIVATE JOB TO A FEDERAL IF IT'S A FEDERAL UNIVERSITY.. Even so if it's a private university there are better prospects compared to a private school. Bro, go for the lecturing job you will not regret it.

Do you guys even read at all? Nigerians please always calm down to read carefully before disseminating opinions on public fora. Reading does not kill.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by tot(f): 12:51pm On Oct 07, 2020
paul100:

I swear.Imagine a lecturer told our course rep to tell us to pay 2000each for a textbook and the stupid courserep added 500 to the book.The lecture said that is our test score.Imagine 9 departments in Engineering buying this book.
The worst part is the course rep has not given us the book and we are about to resume.

Can you just imagine. I think it's time for such lecturers to be reported - whether anonymously or otherwise. When people continue keeping silent, nothing will change.

1 Like

Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Karozy: 12:52pm On Oct 07, 2020
Emir8:
Hello Nairalander,

Don't let anyone deceive you my bro, continue with the secondary school job and ignore the offer from the private University,the pay is way too small compare to what you are currently earning, after all we are working for money which is very important and since it give you time to further for your PhD,forget those prestige,na prestige then wan chop.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by NoToPile: 12:52pm On Oct 07, 2020
These private unibersities that sometimes use part time lecturers and pay them 10k per weekend?

The fact that you can't start your PhD until after 3 years of employment with them is enough reason for you not to consider them.

Some of those private uni owe a lot. Lots of them dont treat staff well. If it was a govt uni I would have advised you move

Stay with the sec school and do your phd a better offer will come.

Replies on this thread shows the mindset of Nigerians, talking about prestige - in an organization that has shown they are not after your growth. Just to bear the title lecturer instead of teacher abi.We are just after title.

1 Like

Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by tot(f): 12:52pm On Oct 07, 2020
HAccord:

Do you guys even read at all? Nigerians please always calm down to read carefully before disseminating opinions on public fora. Reading does not kill.

grin grin Please tell them, haha. The guy clearly stated PRIVATE university.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Housing(m): 12:56pm On Oct 07, 2020
If the the Lecturing offer is from a private University please stay where you are. My former colleague left one of our schools when he was deployed to the quality assurance department after being School Principal for many years. He is now doing marketing for that Private University on a group where we are both members.

[b][/b]Most Private University are struggling to get students couple with draconian law that operates in most of them.
Emir8
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by kingsolomonjnr01(m): 12:57pm On Oct 07, 2020
Skmoda360:
Lemme start with your fiancee, Is she your mother that will warrant her to force you to quit your present job because of being a lecturer's babe or wife to be? I will gladly accept her threat to quit the relationship if it's me.....now to the main issue, bro, I'm not in the position to advise you but I will drop this piece ...just follow your heart and please don't listen to anybody forcing you against your wish.....Shalom. undecided
U gave him the best advice ever ..
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Rhymeyjohn: 12:58pm On Oct 07, 2020
nijaomegacode:
My God! Is this happening in Nigeria?
I'm a graduate and I don't even have a job. First class in agricultural extension and Management for that matter. I will not cry.
Amen. God will make a way for you. Don't loose hope.

How about doing getting some ICT skills or doing a pgde to become a teacher in a top school
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by kingsolomonjnr01(m): 12:59pm On Oct 07, 2020
iaamxavier:
I would advice you go for the lecturing job

There's high chances of salary increment in universities
Also if you know your onions there's also high chances of you becoming a senior lecturer within time

Also you have more time as a lecturer to start up a business to support your self and family

You get to meet a lot of influential people since its a private university
If you behave like the "Nigerian Lecturer" You'll make it big time if you know what I mean grin

Secondary school job isn't secured at all as you can easily be replaced at any slightest issue, But its all about fulfillment. If you feel fulfilled there you can as well stay back

Op listen to him... he have said it all
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Eagba(m): 1:00pm On Oct 07, 2020
Emir8:
Thank you all. Best regards
bros the secondary school is bae. forget handout think of how much you will earn when you sell textbook, cardigan, sport wear, socks to students. it runs into millions. when you own your school
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by kingsolomonjnr01(m): 1:00pm On Oct 07, 2020
Emir8:

Here is the time schedule:

Secondary school: 8:00AM - 4:00PM
University: 8:00AM - 6:00PM

I used to teach some Lebanese and Pakistanis children private lessons from 4:30 to 6:30 in which I make up to N58,000 a month. I have to sacrifice that too if I accept the university work

Go on with the lecturing job.
u can't imagine been a snr lecturer soon.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by bamasite2: 1:00pm On Oct 07, 2020
Candid advice when you did not even read what OP wrote.
commot for here joor. You are worse than op's fiancee
ayobaye:

Madam, stay with your government job. Don't go for private. University is good but remember that it is a private entity that offers you job. After your PhD and with your experience in government job, you can easily merge your service. My candid advise though.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by kingsolomonjnr01(m): 1:02pm On Oct 07, 2020
Emir8:
Okay. Thanks
Please take the lecturing job.... they are so many opportunities out there. don't miss it.. @U will meet influential people from all walks of life.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Uyi168: 1:03pm On Oct 07, 2020
Randy91:

I want to advise but immediately I read that line...

I just felt so unwilling!!!

How can you allow a lady(gf) dictate your future??

You didn't even include your family and scrap out the name of ur gf and d guy boldly put her gf in frontgringrin

Some guys will not learn I am telling you
The thing tire me bros..
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by tot(f): 1:07pm On Oct 07, 2020
nathpope:

I think you already know what you want..
You are only looking for validation elsewhere.
Follow your heart mr man. And not the pressure of men (or women)..

Exactly
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Judybash93(m): 1:09pm On Oct 07, 2020
Your fiancée said she'll quit if you don't take the lecturing job? Man, follow your mind and let her quit the relationship if she wants.. What kinda crap is that? She's threatening you
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Amblessdo22(m): 1:12pm On Oct 07, 2020
From the looks of things, the secondary School is the most preferred of the two!!!
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Rexnegro(m): 1:17pm On Oct 07, 2020
Skmoda360:
Lemme start with your fiancee, Is she your mother that will warrant her to force you to quit your present job because of being a lecturer's babe or wife to be? I will gladly accept her threat to quit the relationship if it's me.....now to the main issue, bro, I'm not in the position to advise you but I will drop this piece ...just follow your heart and please don't listen to anybody forcing you against your wish.....Shalom. undecided
u have said it all bro ... selfish girlfriend is what he has .
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Josywhyte: 1:23pm On Oct 07, 2020
my advice is this. Continue in that secondary school where u get yearly house allowance if 150k and leave the university job where u may not have enough time for yourself. That your babe or fiancee wey dey do like pepeye make she go borrow sense before she open mouth talk rubbish
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Badonasty(m): 1:23pm On Oct 07, 2020
Bro abeg Dey your secondary school...the devil you know is better than the angel you don’t know...the pay and other packages are very okay for a young man to start his life
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by godstime88(m): 1:27pm On Oct 07, 2020
by now I'm sure op will be more confused than he were before bringing the matter here
anyway, follow your heart sir. In the end we will not be there to share your story
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by lawman88(m): 1:31pm On Oct 07, 2020
Mayflowa:

I am a lecturer in a federal university currently studying abroad. When I saw your comparison, I almost call you a fool for deliberating a university job over secondary school job until I saw this. The private university is not towards your best interest. A university employer is suppose to hammer on faculty growth not the other way round. Don't even imagine you can get extra money from this university. You would be sacked! And why are they giving you such long hours of work( 10 hours per day). This is the kind of place that would use you and drain you. I will advice you go talk to new employees in the school to see are they are coping. Please go for the exploits with your fiancee so she will get firsthand account. She is scared you making the wrong decision while she is alive. Right now, she is sold on names. Of course, she won't leave you. I think it is best for you to continue your secondary school job and start studying toward your PhD. Write standard text books in your subject area. I believe you will get a good university after your PhD. Most importantly, you should be looking towards writing GRE and applying to US universities. PhD students are paid like N500k monthly to be a student. Follow the application process on TRAVELS
Sir please I need your assistance. Please connect with me on ennywall1234@gmail.com
I searched for some universities online and I discovered that I have to pay $4,500.00 per session for PhD programme. Please put me through.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

PHED Office Uyo Laced With Juju As Staffs Dessert Office(picture) / Men Are Subject To Sexual Harassment At Work More Often Than We Think!!! / Lady Sacked For Refusing To Say Good Morning To Her Co-Worker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.