Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,084 members, 7,818,246 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:09 AM

Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' (7236 Views)

Poll: Who should pop the question (propose marriage)?

The Man: 67% (73 votes)
The Woman: 4% (5 votes)
Doesn't Matter: 27% (30 votes)
This poll has ended

Why Do Ladies Cry When The Man Ask "Will You Marry Me" / 11 Questions Every Woman Should Ask Her Man / Most Romantic Way to Ask, "Will You Marry Me?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by Mutee: 5:55pm On Jun 23, 2007
Guys and ladies, Please kindly answer this question.
Who in a relationship is supposed to ask the question 'would you marry me'.
I mean is it nice for the lady to ask the question?
Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by iice(f): 6:34pm On Jun 23, 2007
Whatever floats your boat
Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by Ndipe(m): 10:02pm On Jun 23, 2007
I had a school mate who went by the alias, "Mutee". The guy was rival with a junior student, who was trying to establish himself as the school's musician.
Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by rilla64: 11:24pm On Jun 23, 2007
File!! Dont try it!
Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by Mutee: 7:44pm On Jun 24, 2007
Ndipe, i don't think it's my Mutee. Name is Mutairu and i attended CDSS, Ikeja. Think u know me?
Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by SMC(f): 12:16am On Jul 01, 2007
The question is not "would you marry me" but "Will you marry me" mate.

And in this modern day and age the question can be popped by either the man or the woman. Though it is traditional for the man to do the asking. For women who do not like overstepping the mark, they are given free rein to pop the question on the 29th of February (every four years).
Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by Mutee: 7:16pm On Jul 01, 2007
Dear SMC,
I think the statement (would you marry me) in form of a question is correct.
'Will you marry me' this statement begining with the word 'will' is no longer a question but a command. 'Would' as it is being used in a statement makes it a question of which the answer may be a 'yes' or 'no' as the case may be.
Make a research into the topic- concord rules and agreement in English.

Just answer questions and not to correct cause it's not our language.
Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by SMC(f): 8:51pm On Jul 01, 2007
Mutee:

Dear SMC,
I think the statement (would you marry me) in form of a question is correct.
'Will you marry me' this statement begining with the word 'will' is no longer a question but a command. 'Would' as it is being used in a statement makes it a question of which the answer may be a 'yes' or 'no' as the case may be.
Make a research into the topic- concord rules and agreement in English.

Just answer questions and not to correct cause it's not our language.

You are definitely wrong about the question. And English may not be your first language but it is mine. Be gracious enough to accept corrections instead of exposing your deficiency of the language further. It's not like I did not answer the question so I'd suggest you accept comments/suggestions/corrections in good fate.

PS. Whoever has told you that using the word "will" automatically turns a question into a command has certainly led you up the garden path. At the risk of giving an English lecture, I'll say the word can be used in a plethora of ways (for asking, for ordering, for stating, for showing e.t.c.). I suggest you research further or take a look at the meaning of the word in the Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary.
Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by omogenaija(f): 12:33am On Jul 02, 2007
who ever is ready to get married should ask
Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by grock1(m): 1:53am On Jul 03, 2007
is dis topic all about replyin or correcting english? . . . .anyway,in dis mordern day,i'd say anybody can ask.
Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by sima(f): 11:25pm On Jul 27, 2007
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked of course in our dreams tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by Oracle(m): 1:25am On Jul 28, 2007
i wouldn't really feel right if a Lady asks me if I wanna marry her.

Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by omogenaija(f): 1:26am On Jul 28, 2007
@ oracle aye ti yi , times have changed man , wats the big deal ?
Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by Oracle(m): 1:15pm On Jul 28, 2007
I don't know, but it really feels like a big deal.
Its like Emasculation. Like i'm not man enough to do what I'm meant to do
or like i'm wasting time about the marriage thing.

That doesn't feel right.
Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by ladebi(m): 4:43pm On Aug 02, 2007
The ladies ask the question a lot but they are not asking you to marry them but they want to know if you are going to marry them.
Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by Ralvy(m): 5:00pm On Aug 02, 2007
It dosen't really matter, but most likely, Its a man's responsibility,
I've heard of cases where the lady asked the man Y He has not asked her to marry him!
Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by joeola4u(m): 5:12pm On Aug 02, 2007
From my own view,the man should do the job, but if it comes from the Lady,which means she's speeding up the reaction(No room for time WASTERS in ladies lives}
Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by Echidime(m): 5:28pm On Aug 02, 2007
when your having sex,Whoever enjoy it most should ask right there when the HIT is still on. I can remember my former girl friend, while blessing her with all what GOD has giving to me,she cried out p-l-e-a-s-e would you marry me and MESS me till I die? P-l-e-a-s-e- don't say noooooooooooooo
Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by Ralvy(m): 5:35pm On Aug 02, 2007
Echidime:

when your having sex,Whoever enjoy it most should ask right there when the HIT is still on. I can remember my former girl friend, while blessing her with all what GOD has giving to me,she cried out p-l-e-a-s-e would you marry me and MESS me till I die? P-l-e-a-s-e- don't say noooooooooooooo

lol, she probably said that 'cos she was so into IT, I mean high on sex!
Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by Nobody: 5:38pm On Aug 02, 2007
@Poster
Most acceptably, It's the guy.
Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by Caradona(f): 5:43pm On Aug 02, 2007
@ TOPIC

I wouldn't dream of asking a man to marry me, even if my Life depends on it. YUKS!!! tongue
If a woman asks a Man, "Will you marry me". Before she knows it, she becomes a doormat and a mother of 12 kids.
Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by Ralvy(m): 5:45pm On Aug 02, 2007
@Caradona;

fcurz, u need tu consider all those things b4 jumping in2 the marriage*
If lovereally & truly exists, they'll be nufn lyk dat
Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by ngojoygurl(f): 5:50pm On Aug 02, 2007
The Bible says whosoever that fines a wife fines a good thing and obtain favour from the Lord! so is strictly for men ok!!

Don't try it o if you are a woman, tongue
Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by Nobody: 5:53pm On Aug 02, 2007
Caradona:

@ TOPIC

I wouldn't dream of asking a man to marry me, even if my Life depends on it. YUKS!!! tongue
If a woman asks a Man, "Will you marry me". Before she knows it, she becomes a doormat and a mother of 12 kids.

good point.
You don't want the man to wake up tomorrrow and blame you for forcing him into marriage
let him do the asking.
That is a manly duty grin

when he asks it also means he's financially and emotionally able to handle the job
Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by coollove: 5:59pm On Aug 02, 2007
outrightly is the guy that will ask that question.

its the girl that is marrying not the guy. that is why in every wedding it reads woman weds man and not otherwise.
Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by Baxilexi(m): 6:11pm On Aug 02, 2007
my fellow nairalanderians, if the couple think or know there totally caught in each others web of love, why then do they need to ask the "question" or would they soon be a question for having kids. "honey i think i should get you pregnant". i think its bad enough that the guy has to beg 4 love. ladies please be merciful
Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by osereka(m): 7:36pm On Aug 02, 2007
Beigin comfrence abi which comfrence women go do d oda time?
when women all agree say wetin a man fit do women go de do am
so, me tinks say na woman surpose to de ask for a mans hand in marriage cheesy
Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by sage(m): 8:07pm On Aug 02, 2007
Where are the Femnists grin cheesy cool

Oya Weselyn A reply tongue cool
Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by denex: 8:10pm On Aug 02, 2007
The partner who feels they have something special going and believes the other person is holding back should should break the ice. However popping the question is getting kind of old. I can't ask anybody "will you marry me?" as if the marriage is for only my own benefit.

"Let's get married"!

End of story.
Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by presido1: 8:55pm On Aug 02, 2007
old question, when time reach just tell am say i wan bring pammy for your pale next week ooo how u see am baby. as a jaaga no need to form oyibo. If she ask me she go bring pammy for my ppl as well, pay for my head then i go follow am go their house later i go change my name to their name as the case may be.
Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by CrazyMan(m): 9:00pm On Aug 02, 2007
It’s supposed to be the man who should ask the question.

A woman shouldn’t put herself in that position because she doesn’t know if the man is financially prepared for the marriage, or if the man has other plans for his future.
Re: Who Should Ask, 'Will You Marry Me?' by Nobody: 12:32am On Aug 03, 2007
I'v not earned the right to offer an opinion but I hope when i get there I won't have to pop the question to confirm if she'll

marry me. Our antecedents should have foretold the likelihood of our getting married

Perhaps for formality's sake it'll be ok to ask, and that's always a man's job to do.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Embarrassing First Kiss Experience. What's Yours? / Igbo Girls And Nyash / I Am Looking For A Tall/short Light Skinned

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.