Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,778 members, 7,817,213 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:17 AM

Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo (22116 Views)

Akeredolu: I Am Not In Support Of Yoruba Nation / Akeredolu: I Am Still In The Governorship Race / Akeredolu: I Am Not Bothered If Amotekun Will Cost Me Second Term Ambition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 11:32am On Oct 08, 2020
proffemi:
[s][/s]The problem with most Nigerians and the reason why the ruling class will play them like fiddles forever is that they are always penny wise, pound foolish. The want the verisimilitude of getting their rights, even if they are actually being swindled. The elites know this, so they manipulate them by singing populist songs while mortgaging their futures.

Nothing is ever FREE. Not education, not healthcare. Someone is paying for it. In the countries you are comparing yourselves to, they fund thee programs through heavy taxes. Here in Nigeria, you don't want to pay taxes, yet you don't want to pay for education. Everyone (even ASUU sometimes!) seems to assume government will fund everything from oyel money. Never going to happen.

So what happens? The elites smirk and make the promise you what you want to hear. Because you do not deserve honest leaders.

Consider what happened to secondary education in Nigeria. After so many years of the masses demanding for free secondary education, they now have it. But guess what? Except for a few notable exceptions, "free" secondary education is a sad mistake that I m sure nobody on this thread will go for unless they had no choice. The poor think they have won that battle. The elites simply smirk again as their kids who attended expensive private schools grab all the openings in sight, while the children of the poor suffer for their parents' collective myopia.

A friend in one of the best departments in my university recently carried out a survey. He found out that over 90% of students in his department who took the survey were admitted from private (paying) secondary schools. So what happened? The poor got their "free" secondary education, but it is basically useless. Most of them struggle to get into polytechnics. They graduate and then start cursing the FG and creating Nairaland threads about how their education is useless.

How won't it be useless? They got the "free" education they wanted.

Take it from me, education cannot be "free" and "fit for purpose". You have to choose one. And while you do it, respect the man who has the balls to tell you the truth, because the one who will smirk and lie to you is waiting to destroy your life and those of your children with a useless free product[s][/s].

Trash.

Pls read the headline again.
Re: Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo by Femijohn198: 11:32am On Oct 08, 2020
the man has failed woefully, education is not free in Nigeria then after spending 4years at university where is the job.if you have no connection your certificate is useless

1 Like

Re: Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo by Poske95(m): 11:41am On Oct 08, 2020
Quality education need money and that money must come from those who desires the education.

MUST IT BECOME COSTLIER. TODAY, WHAT REALLY IS THE INTRINSIC VALUE OF A BSc.

Is anything possible, once it's thought Good?

We're talking of Nigerian standard learning institutions....not Havard!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo by DeejaywonDJ1(m): 11:42am On Oct 08, 2020
Xisnin:

You are one of those destroying the country with sentiments.
The government must make policies that is good for the long-term survival
of its citizens and not some stomach infrastructure that add more future burden.

Why do you think there is high level of unemployment in the country?
Because anyone can be admitted and funded by the government leading
to poor education.

Every single country with free(high tax funded) and useful(not just certificate) tertiary education makes it very difficult to gain admission so that only the smartest are funded.
A poor person that wants tertiary education must be very smart.

Tertiary Education is not very hard to get in in abroad if you are ready. I wrote SAT in 2012 and I scored 1350 their math is very simple not what I was expecting but English is hell for me due to American English grammar structure and system of wording.

Quality of teaching is different in develop countries compared to Nigeria. If we have good teachers there will be good learner, private schools teachers (higher quality) earn lower compare to public schools (lower quality) which earn a lot more and private schools are well structured compared to public schools.

1 Like

Re: Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo by billyb: 11:45am On Oct 08, 2020
proffemi:
The problem with most Nigerians and the reason why the ruling class will play them like fiddles forever is that they are always penny wise, pound foolish. The want the verisimilitude of getting their rights, even if they are actually being swindled. The elites know this, so they manipulate them by singing populist songs while mortgaging their futures.

Nothing is ever FREE. Not education, not healthcare. Someone is paying for it. In the countries you are comparing yourselves to, they fund thee programs through heavy taxes. Here in Nigeria, you don't want to pay taxes, yet you don't want to pay for education. Everyone (even ASUU sometimes!) seems to assume government will fund everything from oyel money. Never going to happen.

So what happens? The elites smirk and make the promise you what you want to hear. Because you do not deserve honest leaders.

Consider what happened to secondary education in Nigeria. After so many years of the masses demanding for free secondary education, they now have it. But guess what? Except for a few notable exceptions, "free" secondary education is a sad mistake that I m sure nobody on this thread will go for unless they had no choice. The poor think they have won that battle. The elites simply smirk again as their kids who attended expensive private schools grab all the openings in sight, while the children of the poor suffer for their parents' collective myopia.

A friend in one of the best departments in my university recently carried out a survey. He found out that over 90% of students in his department who took the survey were admitted from private (paying) secondary schools. So what happened? The poor got their "free" secondary education, but it is basically useless. Most of them struggle to get into polytechnics. They graduate and then start cursing the FG and creating Nairaland threads about how their education is useless.

Take it from me, education cannot be "free" and "fit for purpose". You have to choose one. And while you do it, respect the man who has the balls to tell you the truth, because the one who will smirk and lie to you is waiting to destroy your life and those of your children with a useless free product.

You too get sense... You're one of the few good ones we have in the country

1 Like

Re: Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo by Elvinci101: 11:45am On Oct 08, 2020
Xisnin:

Where does the money come from?

You're asking me where will the money come from?

Do you know that each state governor pockets almost 1 billion naira as security vote every month. How many state governors do we have in Nigeria? Do the math, if you put half of this money into public education, tell me, won't education so improve? Be updated with happenings around You, E get why!
Re: Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo by billyb: 11:48am On Oct 08, 2020
Elvinci101:

Your father must have given birth to an uncouth child like you. Go and learn good manners.

Good manners isn't going to solve Nigeria's problems mann...
A rational and intelligent mind would

2 Likes

Re: Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo by Nobody: 11:49am On Oct 08, 2020
aremuforlife:
Akeredolu has said the fact, any contestant that said otherwise is not saying the truth. Tertiary Education is not free all over the world.
in Germany Austria Finland Norway public universities are free both to their National and foreigners. I did my masters in a German university and paid zero tuition fee. Paid only semester fee of about 250€ that covers free regional public transport for six months (bus and trein) in the entire state I reside. So tertiary education is still free in some part of the world sir thanks

1 Like

Re: Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo by DeejaywonDJ1(m): 11:53am On Oct 08, 2020
proffemi:

Obviously you now see the folly in demanding for "free" education that ends up costing the student his future.

Government cannot wait to "develop her citizens" first before charging fairly for education. At least I wouldn't do it, because - going by the posts on this thread alone - the citizens are not ready to be developed. If they were, they'd be willing to swallow some bitter truths. However, our citizens prefer to be hoodwinked. People like that don't have the spine to put in the hard work required to "develop her citizens" (sic).

In any case, the clamor for free education is preventing the commencement of the much more important conversation: how do we put scholarships in place to ensure that deserving poor students have access to tertiary education that is priced fairly enough to guarantee some minimum quality?

That is an important conversation, but people like you make it impossible to have it cos you muddy the waters with your misguided shouts for free education.

Every citizens that pay taxes or that his/her parent pay taxes deserve quality education at all level that must be provided by government finance public institutions.
Re: Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo by aremuforlife(m): 11:55am On Oct 08, 2020
DeejaywonDJ1:

Stop displaying your inherent ignorance Bro,

Tertiary Education is free in most part of the world and those who are not free, students have access to loan, grant and scholarship.

These are countries with free tertiary public schools for their citizens.

1. All European countries
2. Argentina
3. Brazil
4. Iran (If you passed entrance examination)
5. Cuba
6. Uruguay
7. Mauritus
8. Russia (higher grade)
9. Sri Lanka
10. Philippine
11. Thailand
12. Trinidad and Tobago
13. Tanzania
You mean all European countries?

1 Like

Re: Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo by mulerogold(m): 11:57am On Oct 08, 2020
Well.. onbehalf of the good people of ondo state,
Come Saturday, We shall Vote OUT the useless Governor.

Like it or not, We are the indigenous pipu of ondo with a Valid PVC we shall Vote for the right man.

Keep typing rubish frm the comfort of your home in Abia or Imo.

Buh mind you.. the Results will SHOCK YOU PASS THUNDER?

1 Like

Re: Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo by TOPCRUISE(m): 12:01pm On Oct 08, 2020
He won't reduce tuition fees. That means he will increase both it and other fees
Re: Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo by proffemi: 12:06pm On Oct 08, 2020
DeejaywonDJ1:

Every citizens that pay taxes or that his/her parent pay taxes deserve quality education at all level that must be provided by government finance public institutions.

If you saw the chart I posted, then you know that Nigeria's tax regime can't support free education programmes.

But as I said in another post, continue the demand for free tertiary education, you hear? You will soon get it. But when you do, nobody go tell you when you go waka borrow money attend Covenant University. Of course by then, you and the FG would have totally wrecked public tertiary education.

All I would have to say then would be "congratulations, you got what you wanted".

3 Likes

Re: Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo by sevenhundred(m): 12:11pm On Oct 08, 2020
sinkhole:
Any candidate that says tuition fee will be reduced should be stoned, because such is a liar!
Quality education need money and that money must come from those who desires the education.
maybe you don't know the meaning of public schools, or the reason they were established.
Re: Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo by DeejaywonDJ1(m): 12:12pm On Oct 08, 2020
ClintonNzedimma:

I get your point but quality tertiary education in Nigeria starts at 400k per year, not 5m. That’s the recommended price given by ASUU and most private schools here start at that amount. What should be cheap in Nigeria are vocational training institutions and polytechnics which can be our own version of the cheaper to afford American community colleges.
Then poorer people can go to school via STUDENT LOANS or scholarships for really bright minds.

This way, we have more value for education and no more ‘school na scam’ because it’s not for every Tom Dick and Harry. So when you see a graduate, you know the person is well cooked or else you will keep seeing graduates that can’t construct good sentences

There are some people who are at disadvantage due to some factors that are beyond them. Everything in our society still resonate back to our weak institutions (education, security, economy, infrastructure etc) which we'll have to put the blame on our bad leaders. Imagine the best secondary schools in Nigeria are private schools but private schools are finding it difficult to compete with public schools in Singapore, China, Australia, etc. Without quality primary and secondary education in Nigeria we'll still be here complaining and argue endlessly till eternity because most of our people still rely heavily on public finance primary and secondary schools

And I won't advise poor people to finance their education through loans, I have my reasons.
Re: Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo by mithras(m): 12:17pm On Oct 08, 2020
proffemi:
The problem with most Nigerians and the reason why the ruling class will play them like fiddles forever is that they are always penny wise, pound foolish. The want the verisimilitude of getting their rights, even if they are actually being swindled. The elites know this, so they manipulate them by singing populist songs while mortgaging their futures.

Take it from me, education cannot be "free" and "fit for purpose". You have to choose one. And while you do it, respect the man who has the balls to tell you the truth, because the one who will smirk and lie to you is waiting to destroy your life and those of your children with a useless free product.

wow, such wisdom in one man, I just had to login to quote you, your truly a prof! thanks for educating our lads here
Re: Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 12:19pm On Oct 08, 2020
Elvinci101:

OLODO, continue in your ignorance.

Guy u get energy ooo.

When u mentioned that the people don't ve good minimum wage, in otherwords that the nigerian workers are UNDERPAID and the guy replied that minimum wage can't service student loan.

now you're educating him on the meaning of PUBLIC ENTERPRISE and how it differs from PRIVATE CORPORATION... baba u get strenght

Someone on this thread said that some people ve customised oppression , using words like honesty , sincere and bluntness to describe tyranny.
Re: Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo by benzion72(m): 12:19pm On Oct 08, 2020
Angel2006:
Only a foolish person will vote APC ever again. Bag of Rice is 37k, suffering and smiling country. Hissses. If Mimiko make school fees reasonable enough so the rich and poor can send their kids to school that means is doable. Aketi is an enemy of the poor.

Suffer head they APC anybody that vote them is benefitting directly from them

1 Like

Re: Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo by mithras(m): 12:25pm On Oct 08, 2020
proffemi:

If you saw the chart I posted, then you know that Nigeria's tax regime can't support free education programmes.

But as I said in another post, continue the demand for free tertiary education, you hear? You will soon get it. But when you do, nobody go tell you when you go waka borrow money attend Covenant University. Of course by then, you and the FG would have totally wrecked public tertiary education.

All I would have to say then would be "congratulations, you got what you wanted".

Wise one!

1 Like

Re: Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo by Elvinci101: 12:28pm On Oct 08, 2020
OkpaNsukkaisBae:

Guy u get energy ooo.

When u mentioned that the people don't ve good minimum wage, in otherwords that the nigerian workers are UNDERPAID and the guy replied that minimum wage can't service student loan.

now you're educating him on the meaning of PUBLIC ENTERPRISE and how it differs from PRIVATE CORPORATION... baba u get strenght

Someone on this thread said that some people ve customised oppression , using words like honesty , sincere and bluntness to describe tyranny.

My broda, you're right. When I noticed his level of ignorance I just had to stop. So many of them are ignorant hence, their capacity to learn is very poor. I just wasted my time replying him. Anyway, thanks Jare.
Re: Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo by ClintonNzedimma(m): 12:31pm On Oct 08, 2020
DeejaywonDJ1:

There are some people who are at disadvantage due to some factors that are beyond them. Everything in our society still resonate back to our weak institutions (education, security, economy, infrastructure etc) which we'll have to put the blame on our bad leaders. Imagine the best secondary schools in Nigeria are private schools but private schools are finding it difficult to compete with public schools in Singapore, China, Australia, etc. Without quality primary and secondary education in Nigeria we'll still be here complaining and argue endlessly till eternity because most of our people still rely heavily on public finance primary and secondary schools

And I won't advise poor people to finance their education through loans, I have my reasons.
At least the the private schools are finding it difficult but the public schools aren’t even finding it at all. Hope you grab my point
Re: Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo by Nobody: 12:59pm On Oct 08, 2020
Am not surprised someone that inflate tuition fees and compare it to his pair of shoes,... smh

And he benefited from the free education
Re: Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo by MrLacoste4: 1:08pm On Oct 08, 2020
see as dis man dey use rope tie himself... well it's beta for him not to make promises he won't fulfill at d end..
Re: Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo by kennyz247(m): 1:11pm On Oct 08, 2020
sinkhole:
Any candidate that says tuition fee will be reduced should be stoned, because such is a liar!
omo Dangote talking....well done sir
Re: Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo by sinkhole: 1:34pm On Oct 08, 2020
kennyz247:

omo Dangote talking....well done sir
it is not about having money or not, we have to use our sense at times!
ASUU is on strike, asking for quality world class education, at least equivalent of the private schools in Nigeria, but we say they are selfish!
Government does not give a damn about any education, since it does not concern them: the people in government could afford private and foreign schools.
Don't you think if poor people need quality education they simply need to look for money, any how, to secure the education?
From the speech of our "certificate less" president at the presentation of 2021 budget today, we could see that the only end to ASUU strike is either ASUU grudgingly return to work or government sack all of them to recruit new ones! But I can assure you that whichever way it will be resolved, the new school will be worse than the old school me and you left before ASUU strike embarassed

1 Like

Re: Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo by RioCarputo(m): 1:49pm On Oct 08, 2020
one particular virtue I love about this man is that, he never scared of defeat of any kind.
Re: Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo by dotun365: 1:58pm On Oct 08, 2020
Lmao Free education?? Any Nigerian government that promises you free education is decieving you. the government is too broke for that. before you come to claim they are stealing the money and buying cars for themselfves, I want you to know education is not cheap and must be paid for by someone. Free education offered by a poor country will be very low quality so make your choice
Johnnyessence:
ondo youths and good students of all the state tertiary institutions in ondo state, I hope you dey watch it and read it now. Akeredolu has performed woefully in ondo state. he's against free education in ondo state.

1 Like

Re: Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo by JAWBONE(m): 2:05pm On Oct 08, 2020
aremuforlife:
Akeredolu has said the fact, any contestant that said otherwise is not saying the truth. Tertiary Education is not free all over the world.

It's free in Germany
Re: Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo by King44(m): 2:19pm On Oct 08, 2020
Using is mouth to sabotage his reelection, when guts is too much it could lead to self destruction
Re: Akeredolu: I Won't Reduce Tuition Fees Of Tertiary Institutions In Ondo by DeejaywonDJ1(m): 2:26pm On Oct 08, 2020
ClintonNzedimma:

At least the the private schools are finding it difficult but the public schools aren’t even finding it at all. Hope you grab my point

Yeah sure, but we are the one who will bear the cross of the under develop educational system evidence are in the northern part of our country

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

INEC Cannot Accept Candidates Where There Were No Primaries - Falana Backs Igini / Amaechi Lied, No One Fired At Him – Police / Senator Fadahunsi: Northern Borders Are Greatest Threat To Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.