Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,188 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:44 AM

Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? (15426 Views)

Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? / Pastor Christ Penelope Farts On Heads Of Worshippers To Demonstrate God's Power / Oyedepo: A Believer Behaving Like Mumu In Place Of Authority, This Is Evil Govt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Nobody: 1:41pm On Oct 11, 2020
MuttleyLaff:
"Atheism is a religion but I don't believe in it

Religion takes different shape and form, has different passions, interest, rituals etcetera.
For some, sports, like football or hockey is a religion.
For others some, fashion too is a religion

Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Buddhism, New Age, Scientology, Paganism, TAF etcetera too are religions
however there is only one true and pure religion, that is faultless. So let's call a spade, a spade
"
- by MuttleyLaff: 4:23pm On Dec 24, 2018

"Football is a religion, ice hockey is a religion, fashion for some is a religion and atheism too funnily enough too is a religion. The word religion, just like the word mouse, has over the passage of time changed from what it originally meant from what your dictionary says it is"
- by MuttleyLaff: 1:00am On Jan 01

"It is organised religion(s), like for example, Christianity, that is called the opium of the people, and not empathy and/or compassion, that is pure, true and without faults Ranchh.oddas

....Religion takes different shapes and forms, has different passions, interest, rituals etcetera, and so football is a religion, ice hockey is a religion, fashion, for some, is a religion and atheism too funnily enough, as well, is a religion but nobody, not even you Ranch.hoddas, can find a fault in empathy and/or with compassion
"
- by MuttleyLaff: 12:15am On Jan 14

Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away. I dont understand your aversion to a mention of the word God here. Fyi, I am not having an argument here, maybe its you arguing with yourself over points I've laid down on the ground, lmso, besides the OP, AududuNine11, opened this thread and raised the question in relation to and connected with religious or spiritual matters and not to be confined to secularity

Take for granted, that we all accept and agree that religion takes different shapes and forms, has different passions, interest, rituals etcetera. Case in point, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Buddhism, New Age, Scientology, Paganism, TAR, etcetera actually are religions. Also, for some, sports, like football or hockey is a religion. For some others, fashion is a religion. Atheism too, funnily enough, as well, as I earlier intimated, is a religion however I reiterate, there is only one true and pure religion, that is faultless.

Now are you admitting that you dont know how to know the one that is pure and true religion ni, hmm?
You were the one that suggested the one and true religion and you were the one who mentioned me, I wasn't talking to you or arguing about purity of religions and by the way the definition of religion can and never will change for me, it's simply the worship and believe in a supreme being, kabisa. And lastly atheism is not a religion, it contains no form of conduct or ritual, it is like saying that nothingness is existence which makes absolutely no sense.
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by OpenYourEyes1: 1:51pm On Oct 11, 2020
AududuNine11:
Should a believer join any PROTEST, DEMONSTRATE, CARRY PLACARDS?

Here's my view as a believer regarding PROTEST/DEMONSTRATION - peaceful or not peaceful, SARS related or not:

All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.
1 Corinthians 10:23 KJV

I don't really fancy the word protest. Better to lay complaints to the church and the church will appoint people to take that to Nigeria government/security-agencies. The most important of all is to take it to GOD. The issue should be resolved easily in a just system if there is evidence of alleged crimes committed.

1 Like

Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Dammy30(m): 1:52pm On Oct 11, 2020
Jesus Christ disciples know themselves. They can't join any form of protest. They are only call to preach the Gospel. Follow Christ.

1 Like

Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Tochj(m): 1:52pm On Oct 11, 2020
AududuNine11:

Jesus Christ was consumed in the work of which His Father has set Him to do.

Jesus didn't "protest", whatever you mean by such word, He sternly rebuked and warned the hypocritical religious leaders who pervert God's words and serve as stumbling block to salvation and liberation of the lost sheep Jesus came to save.

Christ constant warning was not just to the common sinners, but to all and sundry, rulers not excluded.

I am really confused when you say Jesus Christ "protested". That sounds hilarious I must say.

If I must ask, is it the same zeal for the works of God that you're consumed with? Are you protesting for the salvation of the lost or what really?

We really need to watch it so as not to blaspheme in our attempt to justify our actions by misquoting scriptures, taking them out of context and dragging the name of the Lord into our figment of our own mind.

Sometimes, we fail to understand we are pilgrims here on earth.

We have become so entangled and choked with the cares of life that we think here is our final bus-stop.

Depending on what you understand by protest.
To me protest is simply to disagree
To say This is evil,it can't stand
That was what Jesus did
That was what he stand for.
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by ibuildstuff(m): 2:12pm On Oct 11, 2020
ezenwajosh:

I tell you....can't have my kids shouting Jesus at every small thing in their life, don't need them praying for solution than thinking one for themselves, don't need them on their kneels rather than standing tall on their feet.

Won't have my daughter marry and years later if the husband is beating her up or maltreating her....instead of quitting her marriage.... She will go praying for the foolish husband from one pastor to another.

I was raised in religious family and ever since my childhood I never find it comfortable

You just spoke my mind bro
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by MuttleyLaff: 2:12pm On Oct 11, 2020
SegFault:
undecidedundecided Christians commit atrocities too, I don't know why you guys can't realise that most over religious countries are naturally backward.

SegFault:
There are over 5000 religions show me what makes you think you are right.

MuttleyLaff:
I concur entirely and without demur, which is why I liked this post, lmso

The one religion, that you ought to know is right, not even think, because the qualifier is know, and not think, is the religion that is pure, that is true, one that has no flaw, and is a religion such that God accepts it, to be faultless, lmso. Go figure.

SegFault:
gringringrin number one, using God is a fallacy in this argument because this is a secular argument which includes several religions and by using that statement you block other religions out, number two how do you know the one that is pure?

SegFault:
You were the one that suggested the one and true religion and you were the one who mentioned me, I wasn't talking to you or arguing about purity of religions and by the way the definition of religion can and never will change for me, it's simply the worship and believe in a supreme being, kabisa ...
You seem to have conveniently chosen to forget that it was you who introduced religiosity into the conversation with your " ... I don't know why you guys can't realise that most over religious countries are naturally backward" comment, so if you in addition to that, further on typed that there are over 500 religions, according to your admission, then please tell me, what's wrong in me bringing to your attention, that there exists, out of all those over 500 religions, one true, pure and without fault religion, hmm?

You dont hombre, have to face talking to me before I throw in a few two cents/pences/kobos. Please dont make remind you that I am not having an argument with you, but its you arguing with yourself over points I've dropped that that's made you grouchy, getting the hump and feeling uncomfortable

Well I have seen that you have a oversimplified and distorted impression of what a pure, true and faultless religion is, lmso.

Anyway, "kabisa", is a good way to baby feet start, lmso, just be mindful that there is more to know about "kabisa" lmso.

SegFault:
... And lastly atheism is not a religion, it contains no form of conduct or ritual, it is like saying that nothingness is existence which makes absolutely no sense.
Atheism is a religion itself inasmuch as it has its fair share of fanatics and bigots, lmso. Atheism is a strange religion, in that, devils, have the right sense not to fall into that vice, for they demons, believe that there exists, God and shudder at the reality of that fact and truth, lmso.
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Alexaonfleek: 2:13pm On Oct 11, 2020
Why not?

My Rev fr in church today encouraged youths to speak against any form of injustice in the society.
He talked about this issue of sars harrasing innocent youths,and was totally in support of the protest.
Infact,it's a moral obligation.
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Alexaonfleek: 2:18pm On Oct 11, 2020
AkinwaleJJ:

I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses!

We will never do such a thing because the Master taught us to all those in authority to take their chances in whatever they feel like doing since we know that their government is not our government! Matt 5:39-42
Whatever they're doing there is none of our business since our own government is not from this source! John 18:36
People voted them in so it's the duty of those who voted them to protest against them perhaps those elected aren't performing as they promised the voters. But for us who never has any hand in all their arrangement, ours is to leave their premises for them if they will not allow us worship our God in peace! Matt 10:23
We are not part of the world! John 17:14-16
Rubbish!
That same Bible tells you to give to ceasar what belongs to ceasar and what belongs to God,give it to him.
Since you're not part of this world,why pay taxes?
Why use what people who are of world invented eg bus?

Seeing evil and not speaking out makes you as bad as those who commit evil.
Which church is this sef?
Oh,jehovah witness.
Mtchewww.

2 Likes

Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by weyreypey: 2:26pm On Oct 11, 2020
Firstnebo:

"Pacifism" according to Google is a belief that all disputes should be settled by peaceful dialogues.

On the contrary, Jehovah's Witnesses believe that all disputes will be settled by God's Kingdom (government) in the hands of God's Son Jesus Christ. And Jesus will accomplish that by meeting the entire world's governments in a fearsome "WAR of the great day of God the Almighty" prophesied by both prophet Daniel and the Apostle John (Daniel 2:44; Revelation 16:14,16)

So get your facts right. Visit jw.org for more information
Shut up! You people beat your spouses, fight using JuJu.... Don't tell me nonsense...stopeet

1 Like

Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Froshloaded: 2:28pm On Oct 11, 2020
Alexaonfleek:
Why not?

My Rev fr in church today encouraged youths to speak against any form of injustice in the society.
He talked about this issue of sars harrasing innocent youths,and was totally in support of the protest.
Infact,it's a moral obligation.

Babe
Shey Sars don do you bad before ni.

U don mean them o
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by AududuNine11: 2:28pm On Oct 11, 2020
harmargedon:
Ask yourself this question, who are the templer knights.

Templer knights?

Wetin I no go see for Nairaland grin
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Alexaonfleek: 2:35pm On Oct 11, 2020
Froshloaded:

Babe
Shey Sars don do you bad before ni.

U don mean them o
grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by ofiko123(m): 2:35pm On Oct 11, 2020
Jamb question..
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by AududuNine11: 2:40pm On Oct 11, 2020
Tochj:

Depending on what you understand by protest.
To me protest is simply to disagree
To say This is evil,it can't stand
That was what Jesus did
That was what he stand for.

I think the major problem is finding a functional definition of the word "definition". It seems the word has different meaning to many us commenting here, hence, the failure to actually get the point I'm driving at.

I have never write or implied "evil should not be spoken against of".

If many if you had really read the passage I quoted, and not just reading it like it's a chat message, there would be no need for all these rancour and clamouring.
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by AududuNine11: 2:43pm On Oct 11, 2020
weyreypey:

Shut up! You people beat your spouses, fight using JuJu.... Don't tell me nonsense...stopeet

Lol... This one don vex
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by AududuNine11: 2:45pm On Oct 11, 2020
REPOST:

DID JESUS CURSE ANYONE?

The proponents of the belief that a believer can curse under special circumstances, would point to the facts that Jesus pronounced woes on the Scribes and Pharisees, and "cursed" the fig tree as a justification for their heresy.

These people who are bedeviled by vengeful spirit, would rather ignore the preponderance of verses in the New Testament that forbid paying their enemies back in their own coin.

Now, let us examine the faulty claims of these our friends and show them how they are wrong. It may be that God will melt them and they will go to Him to crush their hate-filled and vindictive hearts.

1. Fact: All sinners are under God's Curse
God is the only one that has a right to place anyone under a curse. Man chose God's curse when he fell in the garden of Eden. The curse of ( failure to keep) the law is on all unbelievers. It is only those who are saved that are free from the curse of the law.

2. Jesus did not curse the religious leaders but only emphasised the fact of God's judgement
We believe that Jesus is God. And He has the right and authority to curse the sinners. But the truth is that religious people of His day were already under the curse of the law. Jesus came to liberate people and not to curse them.
This does not however mean that Jesus did not speak harshly and warn the recalcitrant ones about God's impending judgement.
The Greek word translated "woe" is "oual" and it does not mean a curse at all. It is an expression of grief, regret, e.t.c.
Jesus was only saying a sad divine verdict or trouble was awaiting those hypocritical religious leaders.
Take note, Jesus did not curse or even pronounce judgement on those who hurt Him personally.
In fact, he prayed to His Father to forgive His persecutors.

3: What about Jesus "cursing" the fig tree in Mathew 21:19-21?
The question seems very foolish. Is the fig tree human? Yet we need to say what Jesus did to the fig tree was to demonstrate his authority and teach His disciples about the authority the believers have.
Jesus could not find any fruit on the tree. Hence, he declared that the tree would ever be fruitless. His disciples wondered how quickly the fig tree withered. Then he told them they could also manifest authority by faith.
Pray, how does this justify the cursing of our enemies?

As I conclude, let me leave you with scripture verses that only those who are full of grace can abide by.

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
- Matthew 5:44-47

Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.
- Romans 12:14

Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.
- Romans 12:19-20
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by freeborn02: 2:50pm On Oct 11, 2020
AududuNine11:

You win "who" by matching up the streets to "protest"?

Most of you have not even taken bold step to declare your stand as a believer let alone preach Christ to the lost.

If you are a true Christian, you will not act unbothered about the decays going on around you.

The America many people want to run to today got her independence from british rule consequent of a song from a hymn book after church service on Sunday.

So, protesting is not a sin. In fact, Christianity should be a tool for positive change.

Your last sentence places you in the same stead as the Pharisee in Luke 18:11. Empty self righteousness.

Do you know that SARS doesn't care if you are a serious or unserious Christian? They kill anybody even if the person is 100% innocent and dresses nice. The only offence you need to commit is to look rich and it will be seen as a crime by SARS.

The scriptures told you in Romans 12:15 to "weep with them that weep and rejoice with them that rejoice".

If this doesn't tell you that you shouldn't stand aloof because you think you are over righteous than others, then nothing will purge you of your self deception.
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Froshloaded: 2:52pm On Oct 11, 2020
Alexaonfleek:
grin grin grin grin grin grin

Wait.

Your Ex is a Sars officer? tongue
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Alexaonfleek: 2:55pm On Oct 11, 2020
Froshloaded:

Wait.

Your Ex is a Sars officer? tongue
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Lmao!!!!
I don't have any ex that is a police officer.
I just really hate these sars officials.
The horrible things they've done to people I know.
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by AududuNine11: 2:55pm On Oct 11, 2020
freeborn02:

If you are a true Christian, you will not act unbothered about the decays going on around you.

You think you are more bothered than I am? My not joining the protest on the street is an act that connotes not being bothered by police brutality?

Have you ever been grieved or burdened about the lost souls and sinners of recent?

Have you ever grieved about the sad reality of the eternal destination of many still living recklessly?
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by freeborn02: 2:57pm On Oct 11, 2020
AududuNine11:

You think you are more bothered than I am? My not joining the protest on the street is an act that connotes not being bothered by police brutality?

Have you ever been grieved or burdened about the lost souls and sinners of recent?

Have you ever grieved about the sad reality of the eternal destination of many still living recklessly?

How does your above ranting now mens's Christians shouldn't join protest?

If you are truly concerned about souls as you are boasting like an unbeliver above, you will know that joining the protest is a way of being something to everyone, which you should know if you are really concerned about souls according to your ungodly boast.
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Froshloaded: 2:58pm On Oct 11, 2020
Alexaonfleek:
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Lmao!!!!
I don't have any ex that is a police officer.
I just really hate these sars officials.
The horrible things they've done to people I know.

Okay nah..

What's good nah??

How are you making the dough nah
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Alexaonfleek: 3:01pm On Oct 11, 2020
Froshloaded:

Okay nah..

What's good nah??

How are you making the dough nah
lol I just dey jare.
Nothing much...
I just want make dem #endASSU too angry
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Froshloaded: 3:02pm On Oct 11, 2020
Alexaonfleek:
lol I just dey jare.
Nothing much...

Make we enter next year abeg cheesy

How you dey make this dough, show me the way nah.
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by AududuNine11: 3:03pm On Oct 11, 2020
freeborn02:

How does your above ranting now mens's Christians shouldn't join protest?

If you are truly concerned about souls as you are boasting like an unbeliver above, you will know that joining the protest is a way of being something to everyone, which you should know if you are really concerned about souls according to your ungodly boast.

Have a nice day
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by AududuNine11: 3:05pm On Oct 11, 2020
Alexaonfleek:
lol I just dey jare.
Nothing much...

Make God #EndThisWorld tongue

1 Like

Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by AkinwaleJJ(f): 3:06pm On Oct 11, 2020
Alexaonfleek:
Rubbish!
That same Bible tells you to give to ceasar what belongs to ceasar and what belongs to God,give it to him.
Since you're not part of this world,why pay taxes?
Why use what people who are of world invented eg bus?

Seeing evil and not speaking out makes you as bad as those who commit evil.
Which church is this sef?
Oh,jehovah witness.
Mtchewww.

The agitation is what we must avoid.
The government of the day is not our own, we are living as strangers in this world, so whatever law you know that binds citizens also affects us.
But when the people are protesting against their government, we are to remain neutral as strangers! smiley
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Alexaonfleek: 3:07pm On Oct 11, 2020
Froshloaded:

Make we enter next year abeg cheesy

How you dey make this dough, show me the way nah.

Noo
So I will spend 10 years in school abi angry

Lols I'm not really doing anything at all now. smiley
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Alexaonfleek: 3:07pm On Oct 11, 2020
AududuNine11:

Make God #EndThisWorld tongue
grin grin
Abi
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by AkinwaleJJ(f): 3:11pm On Oct 11, 2020
engrchykae:
I guess if Abraham the patriarch was a member of your church or congregation,he wouldn't have rescued lot his nephew because his kingdom is not of this world.
The heroes of faith are mostly rugged and militant.
The servant mentality of the Jehovah witnesses will never let them inherit the Earth.
Servants don't rule, Kings and soldiers do.

We will surely inherit the earth when all unbelievers are gone for good.
Our government is in heaven and they'll soon remember their family members on earth but it is not going to be a joyous moment for unbelievers because our government will wipe them out! smiley
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Froshloaded: 3:12pm On Oct 11, 2020
Alexaonfleek:
Noo
So I will spend 10 years in school abi angry

Lols I'm not really doing anything at all now. smiley

You are in what year?

Hmm..

That stuff you did nko?
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by freeborn02: 3:12pm On Oct 11, 2020
AududuNine11:

Have a nice day

Fake Christian.

Empty boasting just like a Pharisee.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Former Jehovah's Witnesses On NL? / ''Jesus' Holiness, Saint Daniel MyeriJesu'' (A Reverend's Change Of Name) / Bible Said Jesus Prayed Like Muslims ( 5 Daily Prayer (salat)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.