Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,803 members, 7,817,334 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:28 AM

Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? (5979 Views)

Rivers State Is So Unfortunate / We Igbo Are So Unfortunate / Older Nigerians Have Destroyed The Gains Of The Protests. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Oct 11, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

No one fell for that audio proscription. Protest continues.
Thank DCP Frank Mba also, he is above 40 years of age.

Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by cocolacec(m): 7:31pm On Oct 11, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
Why are Nigerians above the age of 40 so unfortunate and extremely stupid. You guys were born when the British left Nigeria. They handed over a country with dreams and a bright future but you managed to ruin it and wreck it for future generations. Your mates who also took control of their countries in the same time periods have built their nations to first world status while you have generated poverty and hopelessness for Nigerians. Most millennials were born from 1985 to 1995. What did we meet? Honestly this country has been a shithole from birth and it has managed to get worst in recent years. As of last year I could cook a good meal with 1000 naira. It's impossible to do so today. How much do I make? What is the average Nigerian salary? How many jobs even exist in this useless shithole.

The most annoying thing about this failed generation is they still have mouth to talk back on the youths that the youths are the ones who ruined Nigeria. Ruined Nigeria with what. Look at the fool called myBraine. How can one person be so foolish and he thinks he's making any sense. Nigerians should be excluded from technology and embrace subsistence farming. Please name one country in the world where subsistence farming made them a trillion dollar economy which is what Nigeria desperately needs for our booming population. The endsars protest going on go and check the people against the movement are Nigerians within that age range. People that feel that you can't make any money online. They don't know the world has changed. They don't know it's possible to sit down in Nigeria and work with big companies in silicon valley and earn millions. They don't know the millions many people make monthly trading crypto and Forex. When bbnaija was showing they said the youths are distracted now it has ended and the youths are out and you are abusing them.

Nigerians above 40 why are you so unfortunate? Your mates built south Korea, Singapore, Japan, Vietnam you guys left poverty for all of us.
You should mention 60 years and above because your grandfathers are still ruling Nigeria since independence.They refused to hand over to their children’s generation.
Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by CAPSLOCKED: 8:43pm On Oct 11, 2020
Martinez39s:
It is lamentable when a grown adult male thinks chidishly like that.

SOMETIMES THEY SAY THEIR MINDS AND I'M LEFT WITH SO MUCH SHAME.
IF WE LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE AND WORK WITH THEIR OPINIONS I'M TELLING YOU, OUR STANDARD OF LIVING IN THIS NATION WILL GO BACK TO THE STONEAGE BECAUSE THEIR PRIMITIVE WAYS OF REASONING IS UNBEATABLE.

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by CAPSLOCKED: 8:46pm On Oct 11, 2020
Rugaria:
To hell with #Stupiduncles
TO HELL, AND BEYOND!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by Gerrard59(m): 10:46pm On Oct 11, 2020
imhotep:

Thank DCP Frank Mba also, he is above 40 years of age.

We're to believe a man who said people against SARS are aiming for online validation?! angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by Regex: 6:45am On Oct 12, 2020
Before reading this thread, I don tackle my mama... And she no get talk again.

Today I deh plan on go buy Sim she tell me say no, say protest deh i be like mama una don start. Those people who deh protest, no people pikin? I deh go buy my sim if I die, make I die.

Oyibo leave country for them, them no fit manage am yet they're older and wiser.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by Magnoliaa(f): 3:15pm On Oct 12, 2020
ibedun:

Person wey talk say him papa no rich, him papa no accumulate wealth, na inside life himself dey so....

Young man, tell us exactly what you are doing in life now? If you are not yet feeding yourself (at the very least, then SHUT UP!!!!)

Different realities and environment. Older generations had a lot of things we simply do not have, so you can't compare the outcomes 'cos the foundation and resources aren't same for us.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by ibedun: 3:23pm On Oct 12, 2020
Magnoliaa:

Different realities and environment. Older generations had a lot of things we simply do not have, so you can't compare the outcomes 'cos the foundation and resources aren't same for us.

They didn’t have much either but the population and human WANTS were not as many as we have today and the corruption was not as vile as we have now.

All the same please (for your own sake) don’t dwell too much on what you don’t or didn’t have, START focusing your mind on what you want to achieve or do with your life.
Trust me you will find what you focus on in life!

If you concentrate on the poverty in the country you will end up in that poverty. Acknowledge the realities but focus on your dreams.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by Magnoliaa(f): 3:45pm On Oct 12, 2020
ibedun:

They didn’t have much either but the population and human WANTS were not as many as we have today and the corruption was not as vile as we have now.

And so, it should have been relatively easier to build the nation then, right?
They played a part and contributed to this, that's our point. The corruption started with them and they are still the ones being recycled - yes by the youths.

I've read stories and heard about the past, seen pictures, even from my parents. So they had the 'needed'. Things were good. (A television set for 250 naira, e.g).

All the same please (for your own sake) don’t dwell too much on what you don’t or didn’t have, START focusing your mind on what you want to achieve or do with your life.

If you concentrate on the poverty in the country you will end up in that poverty. Acknowledge the realities but focus on your dreams.

I get your point and I know how the mind works. These things are easier said than done. I take care not to judge people without my outlook, environment and access to opportunities from my place.

Not every is strong, not everyone is resilient, positive-thinking and all that. Some people won't be great, don't even want to or desire much. Just to live well. What about them? Why should I not live normally unless I'm aspiring for riches and luxury? Why do I have to depend on dreams to be able to treat myself well in the future, in case I become terminally ill now? If I had an accident walking on the road - what are my chances for survival in a government/state hospital?

I may have gotten a chance from fate to have older ones who influence me, and to live in a good place, but what about people who lives in the slums? Young kids born to parents who prostitute themselves and their kids and are touts? Victims of trafficking, abuse, and in the most vile societal conditions, etc? How can you begin to tell those people to 'think positive' and self-help and see the bright side of life?

If they don't have access to education, or something as small as a book and pen -- where are the factors that'll condition them for success going to come from?

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by Aderr: 3:45pm On Oct 12, 2020
angelfallz:

the 1st bolded, i strongly disagree that respect for elders is silly or was designed to keep kids below their parents, leaders etc.

the 2nd bolded, our ancestors are achieved a lot. haven't you heard of the Benin empire? Oyo empire? but sadly with the coming of the white man,
they destroyed and buried so much of our culture and who we are as people. Do you know how many Nigeria cultural artifacts that are in museums in the UK and europe?

there is nothing wrong in respecting and listening to our elders, i'm happy you even added asia. do you know how much respect and love the asians shower on their parents and elders?

In the end you too would become an old cargo. and if at your youthful age you engineered a society that has no regard for the elderly, you must be prepared to suffer the consequence in your old age.
Gbam. He must be one of those empty pant- sagging boys. Question is: what has his generation achieved with everything given to them? Youths in Asia are on sleepless nights working hard for a better future for their society while people like him are hiding behind phones.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by Magnoliaa(f): 3:53pm On Oct 12, 2020
Aderr:
Gbam. He must be one of those empty pant- sagging boys. Question is: what has his generation achieved with everything given to them? Youths in Asia are on sleepless nights working hard for a better future for their society while people like him are hiding behind phones.

What are the things given to us? From older Nigerian generations oh. I'll like to know. Can you list them? (Do not tell me to go research, plix and plix).

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by ibedun: 4:59pm On Oct 12, 2020
Magnoliaa:

And so, it should have been relatively easier to build the nation then, right?
They played a part and contributed to this, that's our point. The corruption started with them and they are still the ones being recycled - yes by the youths.

I've read stories and heard about the past, seen pictures, even from my parents. So they had the 'needed'. Things were good. (A television set for 250 naira, e.g).

I get your point and I know how the mind works. These things are easier said than done. I take care not to judge people without my outlook, environment and access to opportunities from my place.

Not every is strong, not everyone is resilient, positive-thinking and all that. Some people won't be great, don't even want to or desire much. Just to live well. What about them? Why should I not live normally unless I'm aspiring for riches and luxury? Why do I have to depend on dreams to be able to treat myself well in the future, in case I become terminally ill now? If I had an accident walking on the road - what are my chances for survival in a government/state hospital?

I may have gotten a chance from fate to have older ones who influence me, and to live in a good place, but what about people who lives in the slums? Young kids born to parents who prostitute themselves and their kids and are touts? Victims of trafficking, abuse, and in the most vile societal conditions, etc? How can you begin to tell those people to 'think positive' and self-help and see the bright side of life?

If they don't have access to education, or something as small as a book and pen -- where are the factors that'll condition them for success going to come from?

Hmmm, how many people had the N250 to buy a telly back then? How many? May be 1% of the Nigerian population (mostly those living in Lagos). And who told you all these LIES about people having access to opportunities, environment bla bla bla? Who told you these lies? They had needed things? Are you for REAL?

All the conditions you highlighted above can be found in almost all developed countries (I was in the almighty California in January this year). Same story/conditions...RELATIVELY speaking of course but not different. A lot of Nigerians live better than Americans and Europeans but you don’t know that.

The reality of life is that most people will be poor (many Americans are very poor) regardless. The truth is no government on earth can provide its citizens the perfect conditions to thrive. It is an individual choice. Choose right bro.
The wretched poor man who chooses to have 8 children and sinks himself and his family into further poverty and misery IS NOT your headache. Those who live in slums somehow end up there as a result of the choices they made somewhere along the lines.

Nigeria has NEVER been perfect and the problems you are experiencing today were much less because the vast majority of the population were living in the villages back then.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by Aderr: 6:40pm On Oct 12, 2020
Magnoliaa:

What are the things given to us? From older Nigerian generations oh. I'll like to know. Can you list them? (Do not tell me to go research, plix and plix).
Let's go there: grin

1. Your elders/parents educated you. You might not appreciate it, but that was one powerful tool they gave you. Try to imagine what your life would be without their sacrifice. wink

2. Most of us were young or yet unborn during the bad days of the military. So we can't truly appreciate what our elders went through risking their lives to push against guns and tanks. What have we the younger generation done with their sacrifice? We now rig election for thieves for money believing that they are more powerful than us because they got money and guns. Yet our own parents braved the guns of Abacha!

3. Some people made investment in the media space that most of you abuse today. Both foreigners and local investors. Right now you can pick your phone and get whatever information you need. You can post whatever you like and galvanize people. That's power. Ask them in some Islamic countries. grin

4. You live in a society where you can start your own small business and watch it thrive. New businesses are springing up everyday started by people younger than you. Nigeria, especially, the southern part is a huge informed market due to education. Some people made it so.

5. Most of you apply to banks and other companies. Do you think these companies were founded by youths? wink

6. You live in a country with a huge rich diaspora which was established as far back as decades ago by our fathers. Bar the youths( people of your age) spoiling the country's name abroad wink ) these Diaspora across the world can actually help you find your feet if you are clean and know where to look. There is no meaningful country in the world where our elders have not put roots.

I can go on and on but if you don't know your worth, it would make no sense to you like the op who thinks his elders are unfortunate because he is being forced to hustle for himself. Take the bull by the horn.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by Karleb(m): 6:52pm On Oct 12, 2020
ibedun:

They had the greatest economy in the history of Nigeria.

Naira value was the best against Dollar. There was time N1 equals $2. I heard people sent money to their relatives abroad.

Then a government job guaranteed good standard of living.

A certificate guaranteed a job.

Did you know till today some parents don't consider a child who isn't a lawyer, doctor or engineer worthy?

Go to school, get a 9 to 5 job they say. Who would start start-ups if everyone is a 9-5ers? ...and anything other than civil service is fraud.

Religious indoctrination (and tribalism) which is largely responsible for extreme poverty and illiteracy in Nigeria is largely due to the fault of our elders.

Grand mas and Grand pas are not left out too.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:56pm On Oct 12, 2020
Karleb:

Naira value was the best against Dollar. There was time N1 equals $2. I heard people sent money to their relatives abroad.

Did you know till today some parents don't consider a child who isn't a lawyer, doctor or engineer worthy?

Go to school, get a 9 to 5 job they say. Who would start start-ups if everyone is a 9-5ers? ...and anything other than civil service is fraud.

Religious indoctrination (and tribalism) which is largely responsible for extreme poverty and illiteracy in Nigeria is largely due to the fault of our elders.

Bros why are you even replying to the guy. They killed protesters today at surulere. See Nigeria is doomed. Any youth who doesn't have leaving Nigeria at the top of his bucket list anything you see take am like that o. See how police behaved today like animals. Terrible devils.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by Karleb(m): 6:57pm On Oct 12, 2020
https://www.nairaland.com/6176309/vandefan-tersugh-it-raises-suspicion

Just look at our extremely wise elders speaking thrash. Just click the link.
Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by DelilahMakinde(f): 7:22pm On Oct 12, 2020
The generation you're talking about were held captive by 4 successive military governments. There was very little they could do, except flee the country at any given opportunity.
Mind you Sowore who organised the IBB step aside protests is from that same generation.

Our generation is at a crucial turning point, we can be free only if we fight hard and fight smart.
Otherwise, I tell u... another captivity is just around the corner.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by Karleb(m): 7:39pm On Oct 12, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Bros why are you even replying to the guy. They killed protesters today at surulere. See Nigeria is doomed. Any youth who doesn't have leaving Nigeria at the top of his bucket list anything you see take am like that o. See how police behaved today like animals. Terrible devils.

I still dey confuse.

You shoot at protesters carrying placards.

Where is the sense in that?

No accountability. Absolutely no sense.

You just seat in your offices and do things the way they have been since the 60s, no innovative thinking.

Anyone who dare you is an enemy.

I no go lie at this point I no even understand wetin dey happen again.
Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by ThatFairGuy1: 7:44pm On Oct 12, 2020
ethicallyright:

Just like Nigeria , oil contributes to the rest of Norway's GDP.

Norway, Saudi Arabia and UAE all have a population of less than 30 million combined , while Nigeria has a population of 200 million.

Blame population outburst (Malthusian Theory of population is visible in Nigeria).

Blame the over reliance of the populace on oil.

Blame the outrageous and unproductive civil service.

Blame the lack of innovation of the youths as it will only get worse in a generation where # school na scam once topped Twitter trends.

Emboldened, I disagree with you on that. As we have school nah scam crooners so we have very innovative youths who Government would ignore to hail and abbet stupidity.
Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by ibedun: 8:25pm On Oct 12, 2020
Karleb:

I only fault the elders for FOOLISHLY having too many children knowing fully well they haven’t got the means to look after them.

God will punish whoever told you the above rubbish! without proper context! Did the person explained the country was hijacked by inexperienced, illiterate, unexposed and stupid young military officers? Just look at what the stupid Nronsi did.......and how ojukwu sent his people to the slaughter?
Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by Etinosa1234: 8:30pm On Oct 12, 2020
This thread is just full of blames and no solution

If u continue like this, ur children will also come and blame u

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by Karleb(m): 8:31pm On Oct 12, 2020
ibedun:

I only fault the elders for FOOLISHLY having too many children knowing fully well they haven’t got the means to look after them.

God will punish whoever told you the above rubbish! without proper context! Did the person explained the country was hijacked by inexperienced, illiterate, unexposed and stupid young military officers? Just look at what the stupid Nronsi did.......and how ojukwu sent his people to the slaughter?

Kindly point out the rubbish in the post.
Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by Etinosa1234: 8:34pm On Oct 12, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

In America , when Martin Luther king junior was fighting for the rights of blacks, black protesters were also killed. If they didn’t protest for their rights, they’d have still be where they were then

They fought for their rights and got it

If after complaining abt Nigeria, ur only solution is to leave hmm

1 Like

Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by AustineJohn908(m): 8:51pm On Oct 12, 2020
Op I agreed with all you have said. the older generations above 50 spoilt Nigeria, our generation will fix it.
No mind wetin that guy dey talk..na asslicker him be
Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by freeborn02: 9:03pm On Oct 12, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
Why are Nigerians above the age of 40 so unfortunate and extremely stupid. You guys were born when the British left Nigeria. They handed over a country with dreams and a bright future but you managed to ruin it and wreck it for future generations. Your mates who also took control of their countries in the same time periods have built their nations to first world status while you have generated poverty and hopelessness for Nigerians. Most millennials were born from 1985 to 1995. What did we meet? Honestly this country has been a shithole from birth and it has managed to get worst in recent years. As of last year I could cook a good meal with 1000 naira. It's impossible to do so today. How much do I make? What is the average Nigerian salary? How many jobs even exist in this useless shithole.

The most annoying thing about this failed generation is they still have mouth to talk back on the youths that the youths are the ones who ruined Nigeria. Ruined Nigeria with what. Look at the fool called myBraine. How can one person be so foolish and he thinks he's making any sense. Nigerians should be excluded from technology and embrace subsistence farming. Please name one country in the world where subsistence farming made them a trillion dollar economy which is what Nigeria desperately needs for our booming population. The endsars protest going on go and check the people against the movement are Nigerians within that age range. People that feel that you can't make any money online. They don't know the world has changed. They don't know it's possible to sit down in Nigeria and work with big companies in silicon valley and earn millions. They don't know the millions many people make monthly trading crypto and Forex. When bbnaija was showing they said the youths are distracted now it has ended and the youths are out and you are abusing them.

Nigerians above 40 why are you so unfortunate? Your mates built south Korea, Singapore, Japan, Vietnam you guys left poverty for all of us.

You are even more stupid. Ask your head if it is all those who are above 40 that are in government, then you will realise how very stupid you are yourself

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by Aderr: 4:10am On Oct 13, 2020
freeborn02:

You are even more stupid. Ask your head if it is all those who are above 40 that are in government, then you will realise how very stupid you are yourself
Don't blame him too much. He lacks critical thinking and the sad part is that there are many like him. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by Magnoliaa(f): 12:46pm On Oct 13, 2020
Aderr:
Let's go there: grin

1. Your elders/parents educated you. You might not appreciate it, but that was one powerful tool they gave you. Try to imagine what your life would be without their sacrifice. wink

Uhn uhh. Most of what you wrote doesn't cut it. At least in relation to my question. Maybe, I didn't specify enough... I'm talking about a structured, collective, economical whole or good or gain, AS LEGACIES, our parents left...

My parents? This ain't subjective. Otherwise, we shouldn't have undereducated youths, with proof of statistics showing the deplorable state of education in Africa/Nigeria (and in contrast to the past).

2. Most of us were young or yet unborn during the bad days of the military. So we can't truly appreciate what our elders went through risking their lives to push against guns and tanks. What have we the younger generation done with their sacrifice? We now rig election for thieves for money believing that they are more powerful than us because they got money and guns. Yet our own parents braved the guns of Abacha!

Sah, my question was what YOU LEFT FOR US. That we can do something with... During the military rule, the economy was good. As in, while, and in the reign of soldiers. Both coexisted, not so? I understand they abused human rights, that's not my point. From the point of independence, all through 2 republics and the beginnings of the fourth -- was Nigeria stable or not?

3. Some people made investment in the media space that most of you abuse today. Both foreigners and local investors. Right now you can pick your phone and get whatever information you need. You can post whatever you like and galvanize people. That's power. Ask them in some Islamic countries. grin

4. You live in a society where you can start your own small business and watch it thrive. New businesses are springing up everyday started by people younger than you. Nigeria, especially, the southern part is a huge informed market due to education. Some people made it so.

Don't hijack, our recent achievements, plix. grin

No be we be hustlers, doing start up businesses here and there? The 21st Century, technology-addicted kids? Our older Nigerian elders made it so?

5. Most of you apply to banks and other companies. Do you think these companies were founded by youths? wink

Something our elders left for us to work with, again, as you said. This is not it.

How many of us are actively into banking, benefitting from it? How many applications get rejected due to a lack of qualifications and working experiences they ask for? Yeah, y'all founded it. But, are we in them, running things?

6. You live in a country with a huge rich diaspora which was established as far back as decades ago by our fathers. Bar the youths( people of your age) spoiling the country's name abroad wink ) these Diaspora across the world can actually help you find your feet if you are clean and know where to look. There is no meaningful country in the world where our elders have not put roots.

I'm not contending the ills of the youth. Same, so how many of us clean ones have been helped by diaspora? Should this not be evident everywhere?

I can go on and on but if you don't know your worth, it would make no sense to you like the op who thinks his elders are unfortunate because he is being forced to hustle for himself. Take the bull by the horn.

Hustling is not the issue. It is an enabling and fertile environment suitable to make one blossom.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by Magnoliaa(f): 12:56pm On Oct 13, 2020
@Aderr

It might seem like I'm trying to excuse or take away personal responsibility from the youths, but no. That's not so. I am simply stressing that there are causes, beyond an individual control (social facts, institutions, etc) that are linked and like a chain reaction. And we have to talk about them to deal with them.

If someone doesn't have a required professional certification to apply for a specific job- there could be objective reasons for that...Unavailability of loans, etc or an income to pool together (in addition to other expenses the country brings + interests on loan); lack of standard professional bodies or colleges to transfer the knowledge a person needs for getting the qualification...

I hope you get my point?
Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by Magnoliaa(f): 1:31pm On Oct 13, 2020
ibedun:

Hmmm, how many people had the N250 to buy a telly back then? How many? May be 1% of the Nigerian population (mostly those living in Lagos). And who told you all these LIES about people having access to opportunities, environment bla bla bla? Who told you these lies? They had needed things? Are you for REAL?

C'mon though. Post-independence Nigeria?? The economy wasn't stable and striving and fresh, and growing?

I just can't give you specific examples, sorry. (Wish someone could help, lol...) But good roads, education, security, light? Investment opportunities?

So, say not all could afford the T.V. But people lived comfortably, could meet their needs (needs oh.) (And a reason for that could owe to the "un-complex" ways of life then sha. Lesser distractions, indulgences, pollution, and do on).

All the conditions you highlighted above can be found in almost all developed countries (I was in the almighty California in January this year). Same story/conditions...RELATIVELY speaking of course but not different. A lot of Nigerians live better than Americans and Europeans but you don’t know that.

How will you explain the stark disparity in/of world economies (say Nigeria vs. Sweden) If you think our societies are relatively similar in most respect?

The reality of life is that most people will be poor

But for things like human dignity, fundamental human rights, and humane beliefs - should or can they not live the best life possible? Poor (in wealth, yes) but not in basic amenities. That's what I'm saying... Some people's poverties are even poor in addition, if that makes sense.

(many Americans are very poor) regardless. The truth is no government on earth can provide its citizens the perfect conditions to thrive. It is an individual choice. Choose right bro.
The wretched poor man who chooses to have 8 children and sinks himself and his family into further poverty and misery IS NOT your headache. Those who live in slums somehow end up there as a result of the choices they made somewhere along the lines.

Seriously?? So governmental policies, corruption, war and its like, 'stealing' from the citizens, forcefully ejected them from where they stay, mass laying of of people, diseases, natural disasters, and sooo many others are not responsible for creating urban slums? (Choices are just a facet...)

Nigeria has NEVER been perfect and the problems you are experiencing today were much less because the vast majority of the population were living in the villages back then.

Not disputing.
Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by ibedun: 2:45pm On Oct 13, 2020
Magnoliaa:

C'mon though. Post-independence Nigeria?? The economy wasn't stable and striving and fresh, and growing? [color=#000099]

AND THE POPULATION WAS WHAT? AND 95% OF THE POPULATION WERE ON THEIR FARM IN THEIR RESPECTIVE REGIONS AND VILLAGES. How is it today? Lagos state alone 22m....who is on the farm producing the food for the population to eat??

I just can't give you specific examples, sorry. (Wish someone could help, lol...) But good roads, education, security, light? Investment opportunities? I WAS THERE, I SAW THINGS MYSELF SO NO NEED TO GIVE ME EXAMPLES! Ok how many cars were on the roads? How many homes were connected to the National Grid - very tiny few! Today millions!!!!!

So, say not all could afford the T.V. But people lived comfortably, could meet their needs (needs oh.) (And a reason for that could owe to the "un-complex" ways of life then sha. Lesser distractions, indulgences, pollution, and do on).[/color]
THEY WERE EATING BETTER - 3 SQUARE MEALS WAS NOT A PROBLEM BECAUSE WE HAD MILLIONS OF PRODUCTIVE PEOPLE ON THE FARM. Today everybody dey Lagos, UNPRODUCTIVE, nobody on the farm so naturally Hunger go kee all of una! And on top you continue to born like rats and the population keeps swelling, for what purpose?

How will you explain the stark disparity in/of world economies (say Nigeria vs. Sweden) If you think our societies are relatively similar in most respect?
NIGERIA IS A FORMER COLONY OF DISADVANTAGED BLACK PEOPLE OF AFRICA. The white colonialist created a world economic system that practically exclude black African countries. Our useless show off life and irresponsible leadership also meant the small money we are making from oil disappeared. We have a lot of millionaires and billionaires whose source of wealth or means of livelihood are not known! So where and how did they make their money (Atiku is an example)

But for things like human dignity, fundamental human rights, and humane beliefs - should or can they not live the best life possible? Poor (in wealth, yes) but not in basic amenities. That's what I'm saying... Some people's poverties are even poor in addition, if that makes sense. THE NIGERIAN STATE CANNOT AFFORD TO GIVE ALL ITS PEOPLE THE AMENITIES MENTIONED! Also the poliosteal the little money available!

Seriously?? So governmental policies, corruption, war and its like, 'stealing' from the citizens, forcefully ejected them from where they stay, mass laying of of people, diseases, natural disasters, and sooo many others are not responsible for creating urban slums? (Choices are just a facet...)
THEY CAN GO BACK TO THEIR VILLAGES TO FARM!

Not disputing.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by Aderr: 8:51pm On Oct 13, 2020
Magnoliaa:

Uhn uhh. Most of what you wrote doesn't cut it. At least in relation to my question. Maybe, I didn't specify enough... I'm talking about a structured, collective, economical whole or good or gain, AS LEGACIES, our parents left...
They left a lot if you know what to do with it. Maybe you should pick my listed point one by one and analyse them and let's see how easy you can do that. Apart from the northern enclave, Nigeria's education is not as bad as some of you claim. University of Ibadan and Covenant University for example are still among top 6 in Africa. wink
Magnoliaa:

My parents? This ain't subjective. Otherwise, we shouldn't have undereducated youths, with proof of statistics showing the deplorable state of education in Africa/Nigeria (and in contrast to the past).
Check Nigeria's literacy rate in the 60s and today and see that Nigeria has come a long way. Start from there. What the British handed over was very bad. The past that you mentioned was worse. Then you had teachers who didn't know more than a 12 year old today. grin What past?

Magnoliaa:

Sah, my question was what YOU LEFT FOR US. That we can do something with... During the military rule, the economy was good. As in, while, and in the reign of soldiers. Both coexisted, not so? I understand they abused human rights, that's not my point. From the point of independence, all through 2 republics and the beginnings of the fourth -- was Nigeria stable or not?
The economy was bad during the military rule. Money was hard to come by as we learnt. Car ownership was far lower than what we have today. We imported almost everything from rice to frozen chicken to ordinary tomato paste. grin Remember it was the military who ruined the refineries. And at independence and after, Nigeria was not stable! Who is telling you these lies? Just six years after independence, we had a coup followed by war. There was little that generation of Nigerians could do. They had it tough. But they fought the military to a standstill. What have you done with the democracy they won for you? You are now rigging elections for the politicians and shouting about frivolous things like reality shows. grin This generation is more unfortunate than the ones before it. Read comments on this very thread and see how shallow your generation is.

Magnoliaa:

Don't hijack, our recent achievements, plix. grin

No be we be hustlers, doing start up businesses here and there? The 21st Century, technology-addicted kids? Our older Nigerian elders made it so?
What achievement? You for no do anything. Those technology addicted kids got their funding and direction from the older generation you love to blame. Software writing and hardware stuff didn't start today in Nigeria. Abeg talk another thing.

Magnoliaa:

Something our elders left for us to work with, again, as you said. This is not it.

How many of us are actively into banking, benefitting from it? How many applications get rejected due to a lack of qualifications and working experiences they ask for? Yeah, y'all founded it. But, are we in them, running things?
Most of those running the banks today heading one division or another are your age mates. Innoson that started a car company belongs to the older generation you love to disparage. What is your generation doing? Twerking and social media. grin
Many youths have gotten loans from banks in recent times. Remove banking from a nation's economy and all is gone. Most of those banks were started by people as young as you in the 80s. They didn't waste their lives abusing past generations.

Magnoliaa:

I'm not contending the ills of the youth. Same, so how many of us clean ones have been helped by diaspora? Should this not be evident everywhere?

Hustling is not the issue. It is an enabling and fertile environment suitable to make one blossom.

Life is not served al lacarte. You fight for what you want. The Jews never had an enabling environment anywhere but those guys are fighters. Black youths should emulate that. The question is, what are YOU doing!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Older Nigerians So Unfortunate? by NofiuFade(m): 9:23pm On Oct 13, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Gunmen Hijack 4 Boats In Warri / Baraje, Oyinlola, Others Sue PDP, INEC Over Suspension / BOMBSHELL: Gov Obiano’s Aides Fights Dirty Over Alleged $5 Million Ugu Export

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.