Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,795 members, 7,810,068 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:54 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? - Travel (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? (1379315 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 5:34pm On Aug 06, 2013
vivianobas:

LOL @ betty. Nigerians sabi form shall! If you leave in Abuja without family members around you, won't you take care of your child? I took care of my baby myself without the help of a nanny though I stayed with my brother. I decided to contribute to this thread on nairaland after my experience in Phoenix and would continue to give support and advice to anyone willing to deliver in the US. I wish aspiring mothers goodluck with visa processing, smooth entry into America and safe delivery IJN. Amen

Lol @ forming. Nothing close to that at all oooo.
Thanks again for all the info.
May God help us all in our quest.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Aug 06, 2013
hardeymijuh: @ All,

another advise espescially for those of us that cannot cope with cold, please check what the temperature will look like during your stay.

i intend travellng in December, just compared both temperatures (Phonix and El-Paso)...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....i comment my reserve...... shocked shocked shocked

http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/united-states/arizona/phoenix/index_centigrade.htm for Phoenix

http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/united-states/texas/el-paso/index_centigrade.htm for El Paso

It is well ooooo

Your Head dey there my Sister! smiley Didn't even think about that. Will surely put that into consideration. Thanks.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Aug 06, 2013
hardeymijuh:

we are Leading!!!!!

Who is on our side....PDP....FROGRESSSSSS

cheesy . . . . Just checked the temperature for both cities in December. . . shocked
The one for Elpaso no be child's play oooooo. angry
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by hardeymijuh: 6:14pm On Aug 06, 2013
bettymafy:

Your Head dey there my Sister! smiley Didn't even think about that. Will surely put that into consideration. Thanks.

@bettymafy,

I no b sister oooooo....doing d research for my wife oooooo...lollll
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Aug 06, 2013
hardeymijuh:

@bettymafy,

I no b sister oooooo....doing d research for my wife oooooo...lollll

Abeg, bros no vex. You know say na women full here. . . tongue
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by hardeymijuh: 11:02pm On Aug 06, 2013
bettymafy:

Abeg, bros no vex. You know say na women full here. . . tongue

@bettymafy,

vex kee....na one team one goal oooooo
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by ringofGod: 12:32pm On Aug 07, 2013
smileyHey guys... for those who have given birth in the US... what kind of immunization/vaccines did they give your baby and how much? also how much on average does it cost to get the babys american and nigerian passport over there in america.??
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by fabulousmom: 10:30am On Aug 08, 2013
vivianobas:

I do not need to convince anybody as we are all entitled to our beliefs and options. I was originally meant to have delivered in San Diego, California but changed my mind when I visited MIHS and thank God I was not disappointed. I have over 5 personal friends who delivered in MIHS without any complaints of any kind, so why worry myself over some people coming to nairaland to procrastinate over where to deliver and where not to. I delivered March 8th and got all my baby's documents in 3 weeks - Birth certificate after 3 days, American Passport after 9 working days of submission at the court, and Social Security card after 3 weeks of delivery. What more can I ask from an hospital who made my delivery exceptional, a City that provided afordability and a State laying claim to my son for life? No one can convince me otherwise cos if I have to go through it all, I will still choose MIHS. Finito!

@vivianobas,
Now you've confused me. You said you got your baby's US passport before you got the social security number. Does that mean you didnt need the social security number to apply for your baby's US passport?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by vivianobas: 10:42am On Aug 08, 2013
fabulousmom:

@vivianobas,
Now you've confused me. You said you got your baby's US passport before you got the social security number. Does that mean you didnt need the social security number to apply for your baby's US passport?

Hi Fabulousmum,

You do not need SSN to process your baby's US passport. When they come to take the baby's details at the hospital after delivery, there is a column for you to indicate whether you want a social security card for the baby or not. Once the birth certificate is ready, then you can go ahead to process your baby's passport while the social security card would be sent to your residential address via mail.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by fabulousmom: 11:22am On Aug 08, 2013
vivianobas:

Hi Fabulousmum,

You do not need SSN to process your baby's US passport. When they come to take the baby's details at the hospital after delivery, there is a column for you to indicate whether you want a social security card for the baby or not. Once the birth certificate is ready, then you can go ahead to process your baby's passport while the social security card would be sent to your residential address via mail.

On this note, you have given me every reason to doubt everything you have said so far, Vivianobas. I have been believing every of your post so far, but now I have cause to re-think. I had my baby in the United States on the 30th April, 2013, and I couldn't do anything without a social secuirty number for my baby. Apparently, a social security number is the most vital identity of a U.S citizen.
To process the USpassport, the first step is visiting http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html and filling out an online application form (form DS-11). Your online application form cannot be completed if you do not provide your baby's social security number. The only passport you can acquire without the need of a social security number is the Nigerian passport.
To those of us who have gone to the US to give birth, pls, let us endeavour to provide genuine first-hand information to those that need it. It is not fair when we provide misleading info. Be your brother's keeper ooo.
To those of you who want to go to the US to have your baby, pls make sure you affirm every information given to you on this forum before you take to it. That's why you have the all-knowing google. To be fore-warned, is to be fore-armed.
Good luck to you all.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by labella12: 11:42am On Aug 08, 2013
fabulousmom:

On this note, you have given me every reason to doubt everything you have said so far, Vivianobas. I have been believing every of your post so far, but now I have cause to re-think. I had my baby in the United States on the 30th April, 2013, and I couldn't do anything without a social secuirty number for my baby. Apparently, a social security number is the most vital identity of a U.S citizen.
To process the USpassport, the first step is visiting http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html and filling out an online application form (form DS-11). Your online application form cannot be completed if you do not provide your baby's social security number. The only passport you can acquire without the need of a social security number is the Nigerian passport.
To those of us who have gone to the US to give birth, pls, let us endeavour to provide genuine first-hand information to those that need it. It is not fair when we provide misleading info. Be your brother's keeper ooo.
To those of you who want to go to the US to have your baby, pls make sure you affirm every information given to you on this forum before you take to it. That's why you have the all-knowing google. To be fore-warned, is to be fore-armed.
Good luck to you all.

@fabulousmom it is very unfair for you to discredit Vivian without doing proper research I had my baby in the US in Massachusetts last year and got her US passport without SSN in fact it didn't come before we returned. I called to make an appointment and was told to put 0000 if her SSN was not ready. I got an appointment and picked up passport next day. Kindly render an apology to her or edit it before she reads it. The info on this thread has been beneficial to many people and this can make people keep info to themselves. One tip I should add is for people to always ask for discounts cos they have discounts for uninsured patients I got 40% discount in my own and that was some great relief.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by fabulousmom: 11:58am On Aug 08, 2013
labella12:

@fabulousmom it is very unfair for you to discredit Vivian without doing proper research I had my baby in the US in Massachusetts last year and got her US passport without SSN in fact it didn't come before we returned. I called to make an appointment and was told to put 0000 if her SSN was not ready. I got an appointment and picked up passport next day. Kindly render an apology to her or edit it before she reads it. The info on this thread has been beneficial to many people and this can make people keep info to themselves. One tip I should add is for people to always ask for discounts cos they have discounts for uninsured patients I got 40% discount in my own and that was some great relief.
@Labella, discredit? It is not my intention to discredit anyone. Why do I have to? All I advice is that everyone should do proper research before holding on to information. It is obvious in what you said that you were asked to provide a social security for your baby, wherein you entered the digits 0000 after complaining that your baby's social security number hadn't arrived. This is what I think vivian should have told everyone, instead of making everyone believe that a social security number is not required to process the US passport. Clarity is neede whenever you are providing sensitive and vital information such as this. I still insist that people should clarify everything stated on this forum before taking to it, even this 0000 digit social security number that you said you entered as your child's social security number. Do you now understand where I am coming from, Labella?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by labella12: 1:20pm On Aug 08, 2013
fabulousmom:

Good luck to you all.

I do understand where you are coming from.The bold lines do discredit her like you said you doubt all she has said and as she is right that you can get it without a SSN even if she didn't explain details.I totally agree with you that doing research is very important before taking any information. Well thats just my two cents. This info below is from the FAQs on the link you provided

Do I need SSN?
a:Failure to provide your Social Security Number may result in significant processing delays and/or the denial of your application.
Section 6039E of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. 6039E) requires you to provide your Social Security Number (SSN), if you have one, when you apply for a U.S. passport or renewal of a U.S. passport. If you have not been issued a SSN, enter zeros in box #5 of the passport application form you are completing. Contact the Social Security Administration to request a Number. If you are residing abroad, you must also provide the name of the foreign country in which you are residing. The U.S. Department of State must provide your SSN and foreign residence information to the Department of Treasury. If you fail to provide the information, you are subject to a $500 penalty enforced by the IRS. All questions on this matter should be directed to the nearest IRS office.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by fabulousmom: 1:31pm On Aug 08, 2013
labella12:

I do understand where you are coming from.The bold lines do discredit her like you said you doubt all she has said and as she is right that you can get it without a SSN even if she didn't explain details.I totally agree with you that doing research is very important before taking any information. Well that's just my two cents

@Labella, doubting the information she has given thus far is allowed, taking into consideration the fact that she gave a not-so-genuine information. To get your point straight, you said you used 0000 as the last 4 digits of your baby's social security number. How did you get that information, because it is not listed in the official website where one is to apply for the U.S passport? Just asking, because I'm getting all the more confused. More explanation, please.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by labella12: 1:34pm On Aug 08, 2013
I modified my post and attached it from the website FAQs

a:Failure to provide your Social Security Number may result in significant processing delays and/or the denial of your application.
Section 6039E of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. 6039E) requires you to provide your Social Security Number (SSN), if you have one, when you apply for a U.S. passport or renewal of a U.S. passport. If you have not been issued a SSN, enter zeros in box #5 of the passport application form you are completing. Contact the Social Security Administration to request a Number. If you are residing abroad, you must also provide the name of the foreign country in which you are residing. The U.S. Department of State must provide your SSN and foreign residence information to the Department of Treasury. If you fail to provide the information, you are subject to a $500 penalty enforced by the IRS. All questions on this matter should be directed to the nearest IRS office.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by fabulousmom: 1:43pm On Aug 08, 2013
labella12:

I do understand where you are coming from.The bold lines do discredit her like you said you doubt all she has said and as she is right that you can get it without a SSN even if she didn't explain details.I totally agree with you that doing research is very important before taking any information. Well thats just my two cents. This info below is from the FAQs on the link you provided

Do I need SSN?

@Labella, oh great! Now, you're talking. This is what is expected. If you did not pull out this information, I would have never known it is possible to process before the social security number gets to you. Thumbs up. Good job. No discrediting intended oooo, please note. Just needed clarification. Now, I am better informed.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by labella12: 1:49pm On Aug 08, 2013
It's always best to ask for clarification before jumping into conclusion wink so now you know you don't have to wait you can return home in 2weeks in some states if you know your way. you welcome cool
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by hardeymijuh: 2:04pm On Aug 08, 2013
labella12: It's always best to ask for clarification before jumping into conclusion wink so now you know you don't have to wait you can return home in 2weeks in some states if you know your way. you welcome cool

@ Labella, Supported.... smiley

@ Fabulousmom,
Vivianobas has shared a lot of information on this trend and has been very supportive more than you have (am sorry to say this but it's true). If you were not sure of her information or you needed her to shed more light on the issue, there are better ways of doing that than just discrediting what someone has said. Well for me, you really sounded so rude and harsh and i dont think that is what this trend is designed for.

Good you have learnt something new, that shows that research never ends...whenever anyone thinks he/she knows too much, there's someone there that knows more....

We are all here to share experience and learn from each other and we need to be very matured about it... smiley

Just my thots...Thanks all for the info so far and i wish us all well....

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by fabulousmom: 2:44pm On Aug 08, 2013
hardeymijuh:

@ Labella, Supported.... smiley

@ Fabulousmom,
Vivianobas has shared a lot of information on this trend and has been very supportive more than you have (am sorry to say this but it's true). If you were not sure of her information or you needed her to shed more light on the issue, there are better ways of doing that than just discrediting what someone has said. Well for me, you really sounded so rude and harsh and i dont think that is what this trend is designed for.

Good you have learnt something new, that shows that research never ends...whenever anyone thinks he/she knows too much, there's someone there that knows more....

We are all here to share experience and learn from each other and we need to be very matured about it... smiley

Just my thots...Thanks all for the info so far and i wish us all well....

Wow, you see the issues I have with Nigerians. Who is sounding rude now? I know you are all "teamvivian", which is okay by the way, but it's a forum where people should be well enlightened, and not one where misleading information should be given. Labella was the only one who shed proper light on this SSN info, not Vivian, and that was because I asked. So you do not have to be rude, hardemijuh. Don't take things personal. I do not have intentions of discrediting anyone's info. Just look before you leap is all I'm saying. That's all.
wink
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by SisiOlu: 3:14pm On Aug 08, 2013
Hi guys,

10ks 4 d info so far, ts bn very enlightening. However, how does the non applying father who is not present in the US sign the form in the presence of a certified notary public. For instance if the father is in Nigeria, how does he go about section 4b of the form?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by vivianobas: 3:52pm On Aug 08, 2013
fabulousmom:

Good luck to you all.

hi fabulousmom or whatever your name is, permit me to enlighten you that some people do not even request for social security card until later or when their babies are old enough to do that themselves. Are you telling me such people cannot bring their babies back to Nigeria? Requesting for your baby's social security number at birth is a thing of choice that is why there is an option for you to say yes or no. In some cities in the US it takes up to 1 month to get your social security card mailed to you and even the authority knows this. For you to come up here and say I am misleading people is so disheartening as I have tried in my little way to help everyone that seek information from me.

If I may ask, how many people have you provided the so called genuine first hand information at your disposal to? Your ranting is the least of my problem now. Direct your energy at helping all those needing help and not coming here to antagonize people who try to help. If you think or ever believed it is only Nigerian passport you can acquire without social security number, then you have been wrong all along as I got my baby's US passport without a social security number.

Thanks so much Labella12 and Hardeymijuh for coming to my rescue from the so called guru on US delivery matters LOL. I am still available for enquiries 24/7.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by vivianobas: 4:00pm On Aug 08, 2013
fabulousmom:

Good luck to you all.

Fabulous mom! How can you say you couldn't do anything without your baby's social security number? It means you were not properly educated on how to get your baby's documents. The birth certificate is enough for you to process your baby's passport and don't tell me you needed the social security card to purchase formula or groceries from the store grin. Anyway sha, follow who know road make you for nor fall for inside gutter. I have been greatly blessed by this forum and helping is my little way of paying back. I advice you do same too. I nor get issues with you at all.......signing out...Peace.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by fabulousmom: 4:17pm On Aug 08, 2013
Sisi Olu: Hi guys,

10ks 4 d info so far, ts bn very enlightening. However, how does the non applying father who is not present in the US sign the form in the presence of a certified notary public. For instance if the father is in Nigeria, how does he go about section 4b of the form?

@Sisi Olu,
There are certified notary publics in nigeria. The father of your child can visit any notary public in the state where you are resident to notarize the statement of consent. The public notaries are mostly lawyers. Try to find out about notary publics in the state where you reside. I wish you goodluck.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by RightObgyn: 4:44pm On Aug 08, 2013
If any one is going to be Houston, Texas to deliver their child and is in need of a doctor please contact our office, www.rightobgyn.com. We have many international patients and will do all we can to help with payments. Our doctors deliver at St. Joseph Medical Center in downtown Houston, www.sjmctx.com.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by fabulousmom: 5:08pm On Aug 08, 2013
vivianobas:

hi fabulousmom or whatever your name is, permit me to enlighten you that some people do not even request for social security card until later or when their babies are old enough to do that themselves. Are you telling me such people cannot bring their babies back to Nigeria? Requesting for your baby's social security number at birth is a thing of choice that is why there is an option for you to say yes or no. In some cities in the US it takes up to 1 month to get your social security card mailed to you and even the authority knows this. For you to come up here and say I am misleading people is so disheartening as I have tried in my little way to help everyone that seek information from me.

If I may ask, how many people have you provided the so called genuine first hand information at your disposal to? Your ranting is the least of my problem now. Direct your energy at helping all those needing help and not coming here to antagonize people who try to help. If you think or ever believed it is only Nigerian passport you can acquire without social security number, then you have been wrong all along as I got my baby's US passport without a social security number.

Thanks so much Labella12 and Hardeymijuh for coming to my rescue from the so called guru on US delivery matters LOL. I am still available for enquiries 24/7.

@vivianobas, don't take it personal. Una no sabi as dem dey take explain matter. Simple! So don't hide under Labella's explanation. Shikena! grin wink
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by nkutet: 5:24pm On Aug 08, 2013
@fabulousmom you have wronged @vivianobas so just aplologies so we can all move on. Ur initial comment discredited her k. Aplogy is no big deal.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by fabulousmom: 5:33pm On Aug 08, 2013
nkutet: @fabulousmom you have wronged @vivianobas so just aplologies so we can all move on. Ur initial comment discredited her k. Aplogy is no big deal.

@nkutet, move on to where? So you cannot move on without me rendering an apology? You are seriously on your own o, if you're waiting for one. If you like, move on, if you like, stay put where u are, na una ppl sabi, you nigerians don't like it when people tell you the truth, and the truth is bitter. She gave misleading information, so why do I need to apologise for demanding clarification?
tongue
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by jt2010: 5:41pm On Aug 08, 2013
fabulousmom:

@nkutet, move on to where? So you cannot move on without me rendering an apology? You are seriously on your own o, if you're waiting for one. If you like, move on, if you like, stay put where u are, na una ppl sabi, you nigerians don't like it when people tell you the truth, and the truth is bitter. She gave misleading information, so why do I need to apologise for demanding clarification?
tongue

U cannot be a judge in ur own case. In one bit u are claming to be seeking clarification but at d same time emphasising dat her statement are misleading?

Aba madam.... Dat statement make u looking like student working from answer to question...
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by bamakoe(f): 5:47pm On Aug 08, 2013
vivianobas:

Hello all,
First of all let me take this opportunity to say this forum has been of immense help to many of us and to me in particular . Fabulousmom, Vivianobas, labella12 and the rest, your contributions and advice on this thread has been undoubtedly useful in one way or the other. And even though the altercations has not been anticipated amongst such a 'family' as ours, it has happened to bring out even the best for us all.
I have been in personal contact with a few contributors on this thread and can say that they are indeed great personalities. Please let's look beyond our differences - what someone say and how it was said- and look at the greater benefit for us all. Even if these information are irrelevant to some people, it could be a life saver for others. And it's indeed a small world and you never know who you are talking to on the other side of the thread wink.
I'd like all parties to say to make a solidarity post in order to further strengthen the discussions here. One love grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by fabulousmom: 6:01pm On Aug 08, 2013
bamakoe:

Hello all,
First of all let me take this opportunity to say this forum has been of immense help to many of us and to me in particular . Fabulousmom, Vivianobas, labella12 and the rest, your contributions and advice on this thread has been undoubtedly useful in one way or the other. And even though the altercations has not been anticipated amongst such a 'family' as ours, it has happened to bring out even the best for us all.
I have been in personal contact with a few contributors on this thread and can say that they are indeed great personalities. Please let's look beyond our differences - what someone say and how it was said- and look at the greater benefit for us all. Even if these information are irrelevant to some people, it could be a life saver for others. And it's indeed a small world and you never know who you are talking to on the other side of the thread wink.
I'd like all parties to say to make a solidarity post in order to further strengthen the discussions here. One love grin grin grin

@Bamakoe, thank you o.

Lol, on a lighter note, I was actually enjoying the altercations, but we're already taking it to another level. Please note, BY NO MEANS did I INTEND discrediting Vivian, you all's jewel of inestimable value.

We're already losing focus here. This forum was created for sharing purposes, not to throw cheap insults at one another. I'll make a truce and tender an apology to Vivian. VIVIANOBAS, I didnt intend discrediting you ooooooo. So don't take it that way. I'm sorry if you feel discredited though.

Labella, hardeymijuh and co, we are all mommies, or intending mommies in the house, so let's stop acting the way our children will act. Sorry, biko. E dan do. I'm no longer enjoying this forum, with the way you ladies are acting up.

Still, let's endeavour to share beneficial info to others,and be as explicit as possible. You hear?

Solidarity forever! Chai! Naija women!
cheesy

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by hardeymijuh: 6:02pm On Aug 08, 2013
bamakoe:

Hello all,

@Bamboke,
Thanks. You are really right about it. The person may be a family member, a friend, colleague, or even your BOSS.... grin cheesy smiley

@All
Please let's forget about what statement was rude or wrong or ....... and let's move.This trend has been of immense assistance to a lot of people and it will continue to be.

In few months, it'll all be good stories and memories......
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by hardeymijuh: 6:09pm On Aug 08, 2013
@ All,

Has anyone checked on flight fees to EL Paso & Phoenix for Nov/Dec? abi na my system?

Last week, i checked for both El Paso and Phoenix and the fees were $2000+, i just checked now and am seeing $1500+.

Anyway i was expecting that as those periods are already getting to winter and less people travel to the US during that periods.

I no go mind if this price go still go down, trust naija na........

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (402)

Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.