Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,920 members, 7,952,698 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 09:34 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? - Travel (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? (1402768 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Aug 12, 2013
hardeymijuh:

@Bettymafy,

What if the CBP officer stamps for only one month. Will the person be able to extend while still in the US even (with the expired Visa). I know that is possible normally just wondering if this applicable in this case too.

My brother, I knoweth not oooo. I would rather not risk it too. Those CBP officers can just decide to be wicked and stamp one week on ones passport considering the visa validity.

@Dancewith and Babababy, could u guys throw more light on this?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Babababy(m): 6:46pm On Aug 12, 2013
hardeymijuh:

@Bettymafy,

What if the CBP officer stamps for only one month. Will the person be able to extend while still in the US even (with the expired Visa). I know that is possible normally just wondering if this applicable in this case too.

Ok let me give that a shot!! First all lets have in mind that visa expiration date has nothing to do with length of stay,you can have a valid visa and be denied entry into the states. The visa is not your entry permit, the only function of the visa is to allow airlines accept you as a passenger and also give you the right to talk to a CBP officer. Once you have access to a CBP officer, then the visa becomes irrelevant. The CBP officer like you said can stamp you ranging from some few days to 6 months, and in some cases a year entry has been granted . Most business travellers are usually the ones that get time specific entries stamped , for example if you claim you are here for a business dinner in two days, the CBP officer can grant you 2weeks stay. While on the other hand most tourist ad holiday makers,medical and the likes routinely get a six month stay granted without hassles. This is not to say they can't grant you less, but they only grant less in just some rare cases.

About the extension, the law states that you should fill for an extension at least 45 days before the expiry of your current status as stated on your I-94, and clearly if you are granted 30 days stay,this purpose of filing a minimum of 45!days might be defeated. However if you do file for an extension of status, and your document are received by the USCIS( United States citizens and immigration services ) ,before your status expires, you are automatically eligible to stay for 240 days until your application is responded to. Please note, individuals that have filed for extension of status, sometimes get denied visa renewals.all depends in your reason for extension.

After all being said, if the CBP officer should issue you a one month stay, it means they don't expect you to file for extension because the minimum is 45 days, to file for an extension and also if you are stamped that low number of days their is a big chance,that your card will be stamped with the annotation " 30days with no extension" . I hope I answered your question.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by hardeymijuh: 7:59pm On Aug 12, 2013
Babababy:

Ok let me give that a shot!! First all lets have in mind that visa expiration date has nothing to do with length of stay,you can have a valid visa and be denied entry into the states. The visa is not your entry permit, the only function of the visa is to allow airlines accept you as a passenger and also give you the right to talk to a CBP officer. Once you have access to a CBP officer, then the visa becomes irrelevant. The CBP officer like you said can stamp you ranging from some few days to 6 months, and in some cases a year entry has been granted . Most business travellers are usually the ones that get time specific entries stamped , for example if you claim you are here for a business dinner in two days, the CBP officer can grant you 2weeks stay. While on the other hand most tourist ad holiday makers,medical and the likes routinely get a six month stay granted without hassles. This is not to say they can't grant you less, but they only grant less in just some rare cases.

About the extension, the law states that you should fill for an extension at least 45 days before the expiry of your current status as stated on your I-94, and clearly if you are granted 30 days stay,this purpose of filing a minimum of 45!days might be defeated. However if you do file for an extension of status, and your document are received by the USCIS( United States citizens and immigration services ) ,before your status expires, you are automatically eligible to stay for 240 days until your application is responded to. Please note, individuals that have filed for extension of status, sometimes get denied visa renewals.all depends in your reason for extension.

After all being said, if the CBP officer should issue you a one month stay, it means they don't expect you to file for extension because the minimum is 45 days, to file for an extension and also if you are stamped that low number of days their is a big chance,that your card will be stamped with the annotation " 30days with no extension" . I hope I answered your question.

@Babababy,
Thanks for the clarification. Wish you the best
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 8:20pm On Aug 12, 2013
@Babababy

That was a very nice one. Thanks for breaking it down.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by hardeymijuh: 8:23pm On Aug 12, 2013
Anyone else travelling this month? EL Paso, Phoenix, New York, New Jersey, Boston, Chicago, Cali etc...

Share your plans, experience................
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by dancewith: 8:30pm On Aug 12, 2013
After all being said, if the CBP officer should issue you a one month stay, it means they don't expect you to file for extension because the minimum is 45 days, to file for an extension and also if you are stamped that low number of days their is a big chance,that your card will be stamped with the annotation " 30days with no extension" . I hope I answered your question. [/quote]

For a good number of women trying to give birth in the US, this has been a recurring problem. While most CBP officers do not send back most pregnant women seeking admission into the US, as the vast majority of them have the right visa(B2), most have been noted to issue shorter number of days for pregnant women with the no extension annotation.

There are a number of ways to handle this. The best option is usually to leave within the permitted days. Second, most expectant mums do continue to stay until delivery thereby violating their visa condition or being out of status.

A third, and hardly known option exist. Should you be pregnant and get issued with the short term permission to stay and annotated "no extention", your lawyers could be able to help you get your stay extended. I may not state the process here but do talk to your immigration lawyer. Most will be able to show you a way to remain in status and avoid voilating your visa condition while being able to complete your delivery
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by dancewith: 9:12pm On Aug 12, 2013
bettymafy:

The VO didn't ask if she will be giving birth in the US. He only asked if she will be seeking medicaid which she said no to. It's so not like she denied the pregnancy or the fact that she will be birthing there. I don't think she will be refused visa the next time she applies. Moreover, she was given a B1B2 visa and nt just B1.

Most VOs are highly trained and can add one plus one faster than the speed of sound grin

Since she said she was pregnant and was issued a short term visa, it is not rocket science to figure out that the VO was concerned about the prospect of her delivering in the US.

The smart money must be on a difficult renewal for her if she uses this visa to deliver.

I cannot say I am absolutely right on this but I strongly believe I am right

Best
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by nikkygal(f): 9:21pm On Aug 12, 2013
Hmmnn. . . interesting discourse here! Been following this thread for a while and the CBP part of the gist really got my attention. . smiley

Now let me contribute based on my experience. I am also a frequent traveller to the US (at least for the past 8yrs) & I had my baby there as well early this year. On my 1st trip to the US, I was issued a 3-month visa with an annotation stating I needed just 3-weeks for a vacation. At the POE, I was given a 1-month stay! . . . which was fine by me anyway, since I was just visiting. . . . .

Now the catch is that having a 3-month visa already kind of 'connotes' a brief stay & so normally, It might not necessarily grant you a 6-month stay pn your I-94 card. I fully agree with dancewith here as I am privy to a lot of preggy women that overstayed their I-94 period and are having issues renewing their visas now.

Infact, a friend's wife was given 2-weeks at the POE. . . Lol! Becos she said she came for a vacation, yet they could see she was heavily preggers. Well, she still waited to have her baby sha & is trying to sort out her wahala now. Others I know were even removed entirely at the POE just for not being honest with their intentions. Anyway, if you have issues with a short stay on your I-94, I suggest you either return to Naija within the specified period or use an immigration lawyer to extend it. I know pple who have used this route as well.

@Bettymafy, you said that the lady wasn't asked directly if she was going to have her baby or if was preggers. . . Well, the truth is that she should have given the info. upfront! I was also just asked by the CO if I was going to seek any medical aid while in the US & I told him NO but I am pregnant, I plan to have my baby there & have made the necessary arrangements. He didn't even ask to see my papers sef, he just smiled, thanked me for my honesty & gave me my visa. . . . Shikena!

Am mobile. . . .I don tire to type! Hope this helps someone sha. . . .

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Babababy(m): 10:07pm On Aug 12, 2013
dancewith: After all being said, if the CBP officer should issue you a one month stay, it means they don't expect you to file for extension because the minimum is 45 days, to file for an extension and also if you are stamped that low number of days their is a big chance,that your card will be stamped with the annotation " 30days with no extension" . I hope I answered your question.

For a good number of women trying to give birth in the US, this has been a recurring problem. While most CBP officers do not send back most pregnant women seeking admission into the US, as the vast majority of them have the right visa(B2), most have been noted to issue shorter number of days for pregnant women with the no extension annotation.

There are a number of ways to handle this. The best option is usually to leave within the permitted days. Second, most expectant mums do continue to stay until delivery thereby violating their visa condition or being out of status.

A third, and hardly known option exist. Should you be pregnant and get issued with the short term permission to stay and annotated "no extention", your lawyers could be able to help you get your stay extended. I may not state the process here but do talk to your immigration lawyer. Most will be able to show you a way to remain in status and avoid voilating your visa condition while being able to complete your delivery

Whoa,I did not know that option existed,we learn every day.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Babababy(m): 10:22pm On Aug 12, 2013
nikkygal: Hmmnn. . . interesting discourse here! Been following this thread for a while and the CBP part of the gist really got my attention. . smiley

Now let me contribute based on my experience. I am also a frequent traveller to the US (at least for the past 8yrs) & I had my baby there as well early this year. On my 1st trip to the US, I was issued a 3-month visa with an annotation stating I needed just 3-weeks for a vacation. At the POE, I was given a 1-month stay! . . . which was fine by me anyway, since I was just visiting. . . . .

Now the catch is that having a 3-month visa already kind of 'connotes' a brief stay & so normally, It might not necessarily grant you a 6-month stay pn your I-94 card. I fully agree with dancewith here as I am privy to a lot of preggy women that overstayed their I-94 period and are having issues renewing their visas now.

Infact, a friend's wife was given 2-weeks at the POE. . . Lol! Becos she said she came for a vacation, yet they could see she was heavily preggers. Well, she still waited to have her baby sha & is trying to sort out her wahala now. Others I know were even removed entirely at the POE just for not being honest with their intentions. Anyway, if you have issues with a short stay on your I-94, I suggest you either return to Naija within the specified period or use an immigration lawyer to extend it. I know pple who have used this route as well.

@Bettymafy, you said that the lady wasn't asked directly if she was going to have her baby or if was preggers. . . Well, the truth is that she should have given the info. upfront! I was also just asked by the CO if I was going to seek any medical aid while in the US & I told him NO but I am pregnant, I plan to have my baby there & have made the necessary arrangements. He didn't even ask to see my papers sef, he just smiled, thanked me for my honesty & gave me my visa. . . . Shikena!

We all have valid points I believe, but the interesting thing is their are no set rules for this things. A six mont stay has been granted to dozens of 3 months visa holders as well. So many factors are put Ito consideration. And a 2 weeks stay has also been granted to a 5 year visa holder has well. Some of those CBP guys are simply over zealous in trying to protect their country. To each is own.

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Babababy(m): 7:15am On Aug 13, 2013
[quote author=Babababy][/quote]

Morning I would also like to add ,a carrier of any type of visa can request for a specific stay period regardless of whether you carrying a 3month visa or 10 year visa. The CBP officer will do his/her job by asking you what you are in the US for? You as an individual can request how long you would like to stay for .the officer would then use his/her discretion. The most common 6 month stamp is almost certain for people that claim they are in the US to visit family. No CBP officer expects you to stay in a hotel for 6 months, and that is a major factor in giving people that claim they are here on tourism, warranting a one month stay.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 8:56am On Aug 13, 2013
Babababy:

Morning I would also like to add ,a carrier of any type of visa can request for a specific stay period regardless of whether you carrying a 3month visa or 10 year visa. The CBP officer will do his/her job by asking you what you are in the US for? You as an individual can request how long you would like to stay for .the officer would then use his/her discretion. The most common 6 month stamp is almost certain for people that claim they are in the US to visit family. No CBP officer expects you to stay in a hotel for 6 months, and that is a major factor in giving people that claim they are here on tourism, warranting a one month stay.

I would advice you declare your birthing intentions and show funds to the CBP officer. That way, he knows what you are there for and give adequate time.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Whites: 11:03am On Aug 13, 2013
Babababy:

I think the reverse is the case ,you are the one that needs to actually do more research. Information is vital in life, always be Hungry for it. Go and verify my claims properly, you schooling in the US amours to nothing in regards the topic of discussion.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by POPSTAR: 11:10am On Aug 13, 2013
It's so nice to be a part of u wonderful peeps, I pray God almighty be with u n Ur family.... Fulfill d purpose @ which u guys hv decided to hv D birth of ur child abroad n give us all a wonderful child dt will appreciate d plans n hardwork we all r trying to give them as well as a good n valuable future... It is well with u all... 1 love... I'm proud of u all... Uve all shown urself to be a wonderful mothers n future mother dt will go all d way 4 d well being of Ur child n I pray may God bless us all... Lets hv Faith along side, n it be well with us all IJN
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 11:37am On Aug 13, 2013
POPSTAR: It's so nice to be a part of u wonderful peeps, I pray God almighty be with u n Ur family.... Fulfill d purpose @ which u guys hv decided to hv D birth of ur child abroad n give us all a wonderful child dt will appreciate d plans n hardwork we all r trying to give them as well as a good n valuable future... It is well with u all... 1 love... I'm proud of u all... Uve all shown urself to be a wonderful mothers n future mother dt will go all d way 4 d well being of Ur child n I pray may God bless us all... Lets hv Faith along side, n it be well with us all IJN

Amen!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 11:44am On Aug 13, 2013
Whites:

Babababy, I do not appreciate your rudeness, but if that makes you feel who you are then it's the least of my cares. I do not need to do any more research. I already stated here that I know someone who was turned away because their visa was expiring. So what you think or don't think doesn't matter to me because it doesn't change the fact that this happened. Also, you need to note that I am not the one taking my wife to the US on an almost expiring visa- I would have enough class not to do that and leave her at the mercy of the customs officer. Lastly, I do not need to verify any claims, and neither do I need any more information on visa, I am a permanent resident and do not need to apply for a visa.

Please you guys, let go. This thread has been helpful, wonderful and full of mature contributions. Let it remain so please. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Babababy(m): 2:55pm On Aug 13, 2013
Whites:

Babababy, I do not appreciate your rudeness, but if that makes you feel who you are then it's the least of my cares. I do not need to do any more research. I already stated here that I know someone who was turned away because their visa was expiring. So what you think or don't think doesn't matter to me because it doesn't change the fact that this happened. Also, you need to note that I am not the one taking my wife to the US on an almost expiring visa- I would have enough class not to do that and leave her at the mercy of the customs officer. Lastly, I do not need to verify any claims, and neither do I need any more information on visa, I am a permanent resident and do not need to apply for a visa.

It takes a matured mind to appreciate a mistake, it takes a lesser mind to clearly not admit a mistake!! Try keeping quiet and stop embarrassing yourself . You clearly know nothing about what a visa is, green card my foot. Ignorance is a curable disease only if you Want to cured. I clearly told you to do more research after you initially told me same,and then you call me rude . I just cant phantom the way you are reasoning, if only you knew me,you wont be telling me about any green card bull. I repeat , go and get educated about the difference between a visa and duration of stay. Thanks @bettymafy and @popstar.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Babababy(m): 3:49pm On Aug 13, 2013
Babababy:

It takes a matured mind to appreciate a mistake, it takes a lesser mind to clearly not admit a mistake!! Try keeping quiet and stop embarrassing yourself . You clearly know nothing about what a visa is, green card my foot. Ignorance is a curable disease only if you Want to cured. I clearly told you to do more research after you initially told me same,and then you call me rude . I just cant phantom the way you are reasoning, if only you knew me,you wont be telling me about any green card bull. I repeat , go and get educated about the difference between a visa and duration of stay. Thanks @bettymafy and @popstar.

I uploaded a page from the United States department of states,@bettymafy also uploaded from the same department of states but you are insisting it happened to someone. Why don't you educate us and give us concrete links to your claims? Instead you telling me you have a green card, does a green card excuse ignorance ? Because you have a green card you are a genius right? Clown
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Aug 13, 2013
Enough already ooo! There is no right or wrong in this. We are all learning.

Can we move forward now? Thank you.

By the way, where is MrsB?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by bamakoe(f): 3:58pm On Aug 13, 2013
bettymafy: Enough already ooo! There is no right or wrong in this. We are all learning.

Can we move forward now? Thank you.

By the way, where is MrsB?

Yea Mrs Bee we miss you oooo. What's the update...

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by POPSTAR: 5:34pm On Aug 13, 2013
I uploaded a page from the United States department of states,@bettymafy also uploaded from the same department of states but you are insisting it happened to someone. Why don't you educate us and give us concrete links to your claims? Instead you telling me you have a green card, does a green card excuse ignorance ? Because you have a green card you are a genius right? Clown [/quote][quote author=Babababy]

I uploaded a page from the United States department of states,@bettymafy also uploaded from the same department of states but you are insisting it happened to someone. Why don't you educate us and give us concrete links to your claims? Instead you telling me you have a green card, does a green card excuse ignorance ? Because you have a green card you are a genius right? Clown

Pls let take it easy 4 christ sake[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by hardeymijuh: 5:52pm On Aug 13, 2013
bamakoe:

That's true.
Mrs Bee, where you day? Naija, El Paso, Phoenix, Boston, New York......... cool

We've missed not hearing from you....abi you don born...... shocked shocked shocked
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 6:14pm On Aug 13, 2013
hardeymijuh:

That's true.
Mrs Bee, where you day? Naija, El Paso, Phoenix, Boston, New York......... cool

We've missed not hearing from you....abi you don born...... shocked shocked shocked

I sure say the babe don reach Phoenix tey tey. . . grin
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by bamakoe(f): 7:15pm On Aug 13, 2013
bettymafy:

I sure say the babe don reach Phoenix tey tey. . . grin

Phoenix all the way wink
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by tteam(f): 12:39pm On Aug 15, 2013
hello everyone.
this thread has been the most informative ever. I commend you all.
about MHIS, i just confirmed that the cost on the site is exactly all that is required and i would be travelling there in october to have my baby. Any to-be-mums travelling there around this time should signify so we form our own forum and if possible meet there, shop together and hang out.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by bamakoe(f): 1:19pm On Aug 15, 2013
tteam: hello everyone.
this thread has been the most informative ever. I commend you all.
about MHIS, i just confirmed that the cost on the site is exactly all that is required and i would be travelling there in october to have my baby. Any to-be-mums travelling there around this time should signify so we form our own forum and if possible meet there, shop together and hang out.

Nice idea. Let another forum for people going to El Paso be formed too o.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by MrsBee1: 3:35pm On Aug 15, 2013
bamakoe:

Hi everyone, can't stop laughing at all d comments. Me am fine oh still in nigeria in fact I dey hospital bed had some crazy premature contractions coupled with malaria but The Lord is in control I have warned dis baby not to port in Nigeria oh abeg after all my efforts. BT I leave sept4 by the special grace of God. All d comments here ehn got me seriously laffing at least it has lifted my spirit abit.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by hardeymijuh: 4:06pm On Aug 15, 2013
Mrs Bee:
Hi everyone, can't stop laughing at all d comments. Me am fine oh still in nigeria in fact I dey hospital bed had some crazy premature contractions coupled with malaria but The Lord is in control I have warned dis baby not to port in Nigeria oh abeg after all my efforts. BT I leave sept4 by the special grace of God. All d comments here ehn got me seriously laffing at least it has lifted my spirit abit.

Mrs Bee, The Lord is your strength oooo. It is well with you and the baby. Good to hear from you and to know you are better now.

The baby must cooperate ooooo. A lot of people are anxiously waiting.....make he/she no port for Naija ooooooooo....lol cheesy
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by MsOyin: 4:25pm On Aug 15, 2013
Hello everyone ,
Please does anyone know any good and affordable hospital / birthing center in Newyork and newjersey ?
I would really appreciate your responses please I am a Ist timer here . Thank you
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by bamakoe(f): 4:43pm On Aug 15, 2013
Mrs Bee:

Thank God oo . No naija porting IJN. It is well with you.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by tobiojo2002: 10:05pm On Aug 15, 2013
[quote author=MsOyin]Hello everyone ,
Please does anyone know any good and affordable hospital / birthing center in Newyork and newjersey ?
I would really appreciate your responses please I am a Ist timer here . Thank you [/quot

Hi Msoyin,
I'm currently in Newyork, i found a hospital in queens , that says the bill is abt 8k, i've registered there today, i'm over 39 wks and for me i just want the baby to pop and all should go well, i know. i spoke to a financial counselor and she says i can negotiate the bill after i get it which will be after delivery, all will go well by God's grace and i hope to negotiate to abt 5k since i will be paying cash. i'll keep u posted.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Babababy(m): 11:36pm On Aug 15, 2013
[quote author=tobiojo2002][/quote]

Whoa, wish you the best. I was in New York last march to check out wyckoff heights medical center in Brooklyn . Used to be a prestigious hospital but they have been having some financial slow down, but in my assessment it is still 8 times better by far than your average hospital in Nigeria . Out of all the ones I saw ,that was about the cheapest I got in New York. New York is really expensive, one hospital gave me a quote of 23k for normal delivery, I didn't even bother to ask about CS!! I am due back their with wifey pretty soon and it looks like we will settle for wyckoff. They gave me a bill of $9745 for a three day stay mother and child at hospital ,normal delivery and they also said it was fully negotiable. I am also talking to two other relatively affordable hospitals but nothing concrete yet, so if anything changes I will keep you guys posted. All the best with you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (402)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.