Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,270 members, 7,836,220 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:37 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? - Travel (320) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? (1384169 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (317) (318) (319) (320) (321) (322) (323) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jan 18, 2015
Hawttattoo:
Congrats phema. God bless you and the lil one.i tap into that same short stay IJN. Your total bill came to how much after the discount.

$2888

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by IyawoToBe(f): 10:53pm On Jan 18, 2015
nelly2012:
OK. For those interested in Nevada birthing as I've received a lot of pm about this...
The hospital is RENOWN hospital in RENO, NEVADA. they have an OB package rate for those who want to pay cash which includes $2150 for vaginal delivery and 2 days hospital stay, an extra $450 for twin delivery. $4500 for planned CS delivery and 3 days hospital stay., an extra $850 for twin delivery via CS.
The prenatal package costs $1500 includes labs, ultrasound, newborn care at the nursery (not NICU) including baby's first paediatrician visit, first vaccines for you & baby, postnatal visit, Circumcission for extra $100. Extra cost for anaesthesia is $1200, which I presume is also same for epidural.
Let me say that all of this payments will be made before delivery.
I got to stay in a cosy private room that had extra bed for my help. They served me & my help meals at no extra costs. The staff were exceptional. I didn't need to come to hospital with anything, I mean anything, every thing was provided except my cell phone of course.
I had a planned CS and my total bill was $7300.
I hope this helps ladies.
Thanks Nelly. Please are these bills the current bill or the one you used in 2012? 2012 is about 3yrs ago; alot might have changed.

How about accommodation? Where did you stay and how much did it cost pls?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by sayoberry(f): 12:07am On Jan 19, 2015
Soutien:
@Sayoberry, please did you travel with your mum? How do you intend to manage with twins alone and which hospital are you using? Hope their bill isn't so high? I'm rooting for you because I'm drawing inspiration from you and your experiences.

I travelled alone and I'm using Dr Fagbohun. Dr fees is 2600 for twins v.d and u get a 20% discount
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Airpure(f): 3:24am On Jan 19, 2015
So I know this is not the tread for it but I need to vent. I totally hate it when people ask me intimate questions about my pregnancy n travel plans like when is my EDD, Sex of my baby in fact yesterday some asked me wen my traveling n I said d month n she asked 4 d date I had to tell her cos it's not in my nature to Lie. (Not that much a saint) I just think it's personal info n people should mind their business. Argggggggg.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Destiny4G: 4:41am On Jan 19, 2015
Hi everyone,
Let the Lords name be praised,smoothly landed in Houston, POE was Atlanta, flew Delta.
I want to thank everyone here for the information shared, knowledge is indeed power.
The experience was short....highlight of the conversation is below
Officer: why are you here
Me: holiday and child birth
Officer: where will be going from here
Me: Houston
Officer: can I see ur ticket...hands it over
Officer: how much do you have on you
Me: 10k
Officer: no other currencies, naira etc
Me:yes
Officer: you very sure...me yes
Ok proceed to secondary inspection
Officer: where will you be staying; I gave address
Officer: when are you due...
Me :April
Officer: why did you arrive this early, your alone, how will you cope
Me: to have a good time to rest and then prepare for birth
Officer: you are alone how will you cope
Me: my DH will join towards the time of birth
Officer: do you know any one in Houston, me: No
Officer: I don't believe you come this early, stay for long and you don't know anyone
Me: I dont know anyone, Ill be by myself till DH joins
Officer: I don't buy this story
Me: but why don't you believe, if I knew someone I definitely will tell you
Officer: I really don't know, people come here and lie about things
Me: smiles, well I dont know anyone
Officer: not even in the whole country
Me: I have a friend in Dallas and a sister in law in Maryland
Officer: will u visit your friend
Me: not sure til I get to my destination
Officer: does your husband have a visa
Me: yes, n I can show you
Officer: please do...I pass him a file with visa, DH payslips and ID card
Officer: why ain't you bearing the same name
Me: the process of changing name on ones passport takes a very long time, I have our marriage certificate n newspaper clip to show d change of name
Officer: alright, where again are you staying
Me: gives the address
Officer: and you think the 10k will cover the hotel n hospital bills
Me: no it wouldn't.thats why I have my card for any additional payments required
Officer: have you made for the hotel
Me: no, booked via booking.com for a month, will pay on arrival n renew as d month goes by

Stamps me in six months
I ask for directions for my connecting flight n he gracefully walks me in the direction

All in all I give God praise.
Mamas remember your having a conversation, so be bold and express yourself.
Stick to your story and have all your docs and be willingly to share it, in case needed
Above all its Baba God Noni, speak over your life, the journey and all round favor with d officers.
On the flight....drink lots of water, wear compression sock, move n elevate your legs...it will help against edema

God be forever praised...blessed week to you all

22 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by nicestlady: 6:22am On Jan 19, 2015
Hi everyone,

A friend of mine gave birth to a very healthy baby girl in newyork 3 wks ago in her home unassisted. She is experienced in childbirth so it was no biggie for her.

She only went to the hospital that she filled in her visa application to see the paediatrician for baby checkup and vaccines.

She got her baby's birth certificate. Just stated her baby came too fast for her to make it to the hospital. Also got the SSN, US & Naija passports.

I had to ask her what receipts she would show when she has to renew her visa since she only paid about $600 in paediatric fees. She says she'll get the hospital to give her a zero balance report stating that she is not owing them and that should be enough during renewal of visa since she didn't use any medicaid.

I was thinking maybe she should just pay the childbirth fee even if she didn't use the service just for the sake of renewal and she thinks that's just crazy. She'll rather shop after saving herself such a huge bill. About $6000.

Gurus in the house, what do you all think? She is planning to return to Naija soon.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by anonymousmum: 6:44am On Jan 19, 2015
Airpure:
So I know this is not the tread for it but I need to vent. I totally hate it when people ask me intimate questions about my pregnancy n travel plans like when is my EDD, Sex of my baby in fact yesterday some asked me wen my traveling n I said d month n she asked 4 d date I had to tell her cos it's not in my nature to Lie. (Not that much a saint) I just think it's personal info n people should mind their business. Argggggggg.

OMG I thought I was the only one. Its so bloody annoying, whats the sex, when is your EDD, how fr, you never drop, some people even ask questions like are u still having *** I swear I just want to slap them angry angry angry

I am usually very tactful when it comes to stuff like that and I expect the same from others. But no, everyone wants to know whats going on. i am tempted to switch off my BBM self.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by zeezahbee(f): 6:52am On Jan 19, 2015
anonymousmum:

OMG I thought I was the only one. Its so bloody annoying, whats the sex, when is your EDD, how fr, you never drop, some people even ask questions like are u still having *** I swear I just want to slap them angry angry angry

I am usually very tactful when it comes to stuff like that and I expect the same from others. But no, everyone wants to know whats going on. i am tempted to switch off my BBM self.
Those people asking you that question, do they live in USA or Nigeria ? I need to be sure before I say anything.

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by customised87: 7:27am On Jan 19, 2015
Airpure:

I feel u on that ma'am...lol. But u ll get alot of that when u get to the US,everywhere u go, these white ppl be asking u such questions and even requesting to touch ur bump.LOL. Its so crazy. Be prepared cos u ll get lots of it.

NB: U may add "Are you excited?"to the questions.lol

8 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by bolexy1: 7:59am On Jan 19, 2015
[quote author=Phema post=29898850]

Congratulations, welcome back home

Regards
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Adiahabasi: 8:54am On Jan 19, 2015
nelly2012:
OK. For those interested in Nevada birthing as I've received a lot of pm about this...
The hospital is RENOWN hospital in RENO, NEVADA. they have an OB package rate for those who want to pay cash which includes $2150 for vaginal delivery and 2 days hospital stay, an extra $450 for twin delivery. $4500 for planned CS delivery and 3 days hospital stay., an extra $850 for twin delivery via CS.
The prenatal package costs $1500 includes labs, ultrasound, newborn care at the nursery (not NICU) including baby's first paediatrician visit, first vaccines for you & baby, postnatal visit, Circumcission for extra $100. Extra cost for anaesthesia is $1200, which I presume is also same for epidural.
Let me say that all of this payments will be made before delivery.
I got to stay in a cosy private room that had extra bed for my help. They served me & my help meals at no extra costs. The staff were exceptional. I didn't need to come to hospital with anything, I mean anything, every thing was provided except my cell phone of course.
I had a planned CS and my total bill was $7300.
I hope this helps ladies.
congrats Nelly,pls how did you go about accomodation in Reno?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by bbaby84(f): 9:17am On Jan 19, 2015
nicestlady:
Hi everyone,

A friend of mine gave birth to a very healthy baby girl in newyork 3 wks ago in her home unassisted. She is experienced in childbirth so it was no biggie for her.

She only went to the hospital that she filled in her visa application to see the paediatrician for baby checkup and vaccines.

She got her baby's birth certificate. Just stated her baby came too fast for her to make it to the hospital. Also got the SSN, US & Naija passports.

I had to ask her what receipts she would show when she has to renew her visa since she only paid about $600 in paediatric fees. She says she'll get the hospital to give her a zero balance report stating that she is not owing them and that should be enough during renewal of visa since she didn't use any medicaid.

I was thinking maybe she should just pay the childbirth fee even if she didn't use the service just for the sake of renewal and she thinks that's just crazy. She'll rather shop after saving herself such a huge bill. About $6000.

Gurus in the house, what do you all think? She is planning to return to Naija soon.

I don't quite understand why she should pay for a service she never received. On the BC it would state where she had the baby and I'm guessing it won't be the hospital. I don't think she should have a problem renewing so far she tells the truth and has proof. She should have at least gotten a midwife/ doula what she did was quite risky in my opinion.
All the best.

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by MamaTobenna: 9:32am On Jan 19, 2015
Please house. I am scared of something I. What happens if baby has jaundice. I am seriously praying that my child won't have big my first child had jaundice when he was born. That's some serious extra money. Docs said there is nothing I can do to avoid it than to pray that my child does not have it. I know someone mentioned it sometime ago and how they called the social worker when she insisted on leaving withe her baby. Biko who else has any experience with this to share as per implication on costs and all
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by anonymousmum: 9:50am On Jan 19, 2015
zeezahbee:
Those people asking you that question, do they live in USA or Nigeria ? I need to be sure before I say anything.

I think I get where you are going, these are Naija folks oh I am talking about. I am not sure if they are asking for gist purposes or they actually care. maybe I am just being paranoid sha but abeg, there are limits.

what is my own with Americans, they are always asking questions in taxi, in the shops etc but I dont know them so I don't send...
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 9:56am On Jan 19, 2015
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Airpure(f): 10:00am On Jan 19, 2015
anonymousmum:

I think I get where you are going, these are Naija folks oh I am talking about. I am not sure if they are asking for gist purposes or they actually care. maybe I am just being paranoid sha but abeg, there are limits.

what is my own with Americans, they are always asking questions in taxi, in the shops etc but I dont know them so I don't send...

My Dear I call it Monitoring Spirit and its disgusting.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by anonymousmum: 10:01am On Jan 19, 2015
MamaTobenna:
Please house. I am scared of something I. What happens if baby has jaundice. I am seriously praying that my child won't have big my first child had jaundice when he was born. That's some serious extra money. Docs said there is nothing I can do to avoid it than to pray that my child does not have it. I know someone mentioned it sometime ago and how they called the social worker when she insisted on leaving withe her baby. Biko who else has any experience with this to share as per implication on costs and all

Hi Mama T,

There are 2 types of jaundice, the physiological type ( i.e "normal" ) type which typically shows up on the 2nd day and usually clears without any issues within 2 days or so.

The 2nd type is pathological (abnormal) jaundice - which is usually a sign of an underlying problem with the baby's liver/bile clearance mechanism, however there are many causes.

There is not much that you can do before birth really, like your doctor said. All you can do is pray about it...

Also because your first child had it does not mean that your second child is likely to develop it.

Hope this helps smiley

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by ajobi21: 10:13am On Jan 19, 2015
favouredB:

For Hackensack the quote I got from my doctor is 2k for normal delivery while hospital is 3,800k. Giving a total of 5,800k. This is exclusive of the fees from other professionals. I ran all their tests with a total bill of 650 but I paid 220, discounted bill. You are right. It's about the cheapest in NJ.

@FavouredB, which of the doctors are you using in Hackensack plus can i have his email address. Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by 9jabiggurl: 10:16am On Jan 19, 2015
MamaTobenna:

Nothing to worry about mamaT...my son 2nd son had jaundice and was kept in d incubator for 24hrs thereabt and only paid extra $500....it wont cost so much but its best treated....but pray....all the best

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by betty1983(f): 10:24am On Jan 19, 2015
@sayoberry. Congrats on your successful entry. Please a quick question here, I'm flying BA, Lagos - London - Dallas - El Paso. My flight from Dallas to El Paso will be operated by American Airlines. Please can you confirm that I won't be charged for check in baggages on American Airlines. I just need to be double sure, I'll be travelling with my mom and we'll be carrying 4 boxes (2 empty though) for baby shopping. Kindly advise. Thank you.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by PetMe13: 10:25am On Jan 19, 2015
weaseloo:
I need to hire a car in Houston. Does anyone have a contact or phone number I can call? I am thinking of the Nigerians that run a car hire service which is more affordable. Thanks.

Got a number u can call. PM please. Dnt want to b banned
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Amazing85: 10:32am On Jan 19, 2015
@Malory84...Kindly send me a line haweedot@yahoo.com...Need to ask a few Elpaso questions.Many thanks...xx
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by MamaTobenna: 11:44am On Jan 19, 2015
anonymousmum:

Hi Mama T,

There are 2 types of jaundice, the physiological type ( i.e "normal" ) type which typically shows up on the 2nd day and usually clears without any issues within 2 days or so.

The 2nd type is pathological (abnormal) jaundice - which is usually a sign of an underlying problem with the baby's liver/bile clearance mechanism, however there are many causes.

There is not much that you can do before birth really, like your doctor said. All you can do is pray about it...

Also because your first child had it does not mean that your second child is likely to develop it.

Hope this helps smiley
thanks anonymous mum. Na to keep praying remain. It is well.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by MamaTobenna: 11:46am On Jan 19, 2015
9jabiggurl:

Nothing to worry about mamaT...my son 2nd son had jaundice and was kept in d incubator for 24hrs thereabt and only paid extra $500....it wont cost so much but its best treated....but pray....all the best
prayer Na the way jare my sister. Thanks. Na Los Angeles I dey go and do I no want any extra on top that their package. God dey sha. It will all end in praises
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Flowers: 1:07pm On Jan 19, 2015
MamaTobenna:

I had my baby last week and she had jaundice. Bill was okay just budget from $ 800 to $1000 for neonatal ICU and laboratory if baby stays there a night. The number of days will determine how much you'll pay. A healthy baby is better than worrying about the money my sister. You will need to see a pediatrician immediately after discharge for check up next day so pediatrician visit cost should be budgeted for.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by IyawoToBe(f): 1:13pm On Jan 19, 2015
Airpure:

My Dear I call it Monitoring Spirit and its disgusting.
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy Do you attend mountain of fire?

Me I really don't see anything bad in it so far the person asking is within my inner circle. If it's someone am not close to or someone who naturally pokes her mouth where it doesn't belong, I simply just avoid the question with a stylish smile and if the nosy person asks again (some people are that shameless) I would just jokingling say "God is the alpha and omega jare" wink

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Flowers: 1:19pm On Jan 19, 2015
@ Weaseloo

PM me I will give you the number of the person that we got a car from. Affordable. I don't want justwise wahala.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by MamaTobenna: 1:37pm On Jan 19, 2015
Flowers:

I had my baby last week and she had jaundice. Bilirubin level was 7 and we were asked to go home first day if we wanted but husband said we should stay till next day. Next morning bilirubin lthy baby is better than worrying about the money my sister. I was scared too at first. You will need to see a pediatrician immediately after discharge for check up next day so pediatrician visit cost should be budgeted for. First child too had it.
Thanks. Will just pray very well and hope for the best. Hope your baby is fine now.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Flowers: 1:58pm On Jan 19, 2015
MamaTobenna:
Thanks. Will just pray very well and hope for the best. Hope your baby is fine now.

Yeah she's fine now. Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by sayoberry(f): 2:08pm On Jan 19, 2015
betty1983:
@sayoberry. Congrats on your successful entry. Please a quick question here, I'm flying BA, Lagos - London - Dallas - El Paso. My flight from Dallas to El Paso will be operated by American Airlines. Please can you confirm that I won't be charged for check in baggages on American Airlines. I just need to be double sure, I'll be travelling with my mom and we'll be carrying 4 boxes (2 empty though) for baby shopping. Kindly advise. Thank you.

No u won't pay for extra luggage. I used American airlines too. Thing is when u get to dallas, u go to customs first, dey stamp u in, u get Ur bags and go thru ccustoms 2 where they check Ur passport and u go. Pray u re not like me who went thru four customs table before I was let go. Ull see the american airline people after customs then u check Ur bag in..then u go to Ur terminal (ask around cos u might need a train to get there. I used one) and it was like 10 minutes on it before I got to my terminal.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by sayoberry(f): 2:18pm On Jan 19, 2015
Airpure:

When u get here u will want to slap some people. There is no question I've not answered from anybody. From waiters to bank manager, people in the park, over concerned Granny's, people in the mall, even passer bys.... One Granny even asked if I was sexually active? Imagine. Someone whom does not know u will just come over an be like "wow that's a huge belly. What re u having, wen re u due, u getting a c-section or normal, u wanted a boy or a girl, when did u find out"
That's from someone uve never ever met

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (317) (318) (319) (320) (321) (322) (323) ... (402)

General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.