Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,973 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:43 AM

Public Schools: Tell Me The Truth - Zulum Begs At Meeting With Borno Principals - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Public Schools: Tell Me The Truth - Zulum Begs At Meeting With Borno Principals (33629 Views)

Ministry Illegally Re-Appoints ‘Rtd’ Directors, Deputies As Unity Principals / Photos Of Kids In Public Schools In Different Countries Eating Lunch / ASUU: FG To Present Terms At Meeting Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Public Schools: Tell Me The Truth - Zulum Begs At Meeting With Borno Principals by etokhana: 2:57pm On Oct 12, 2020
Public schools: Tell me the truth, Zulum begs at meeting with Borno’s 84 principals

Governor Babagana Umara Zulum on Sunday hosted 84 principals of all public secondary schools in the State but at the beginning, Zulum conditioned them to be honest in telling him the realities of challenges in the system, rather than cover-up for fear of victimization.

The Governor, a university professor himself, gave the condition in his opening remarks at the multipurpose hall of the Government House in Maiduguri, where the meeting took place.

Zulum aimed to get a first hand, undiluted information from the principals, on problems facing public secondary school system in Borno.

“I have been to several schools, and each time I asked, some of you principals found it difficult to explain the problems in your schools. I was later made to understand that if you tell me truth, you would either be transferred somewhere you wouldn’t like, or somehow be victimized. Please I beg all of you to tell me the truth. Let us tell ourselves the truth so that we can improve Borno’s public education from where we are now. I am pleading with you to please be upright, be honest. Education is the bedrock of any development. Without functional educational system, we shall continue to experience this Boko Haram insurgency in Borno. Look at the kind of students we are graduating from our public secondary schools, most of them do not qualify for admission into universities, even those who get admitted find it very difficult to cope. I assure you that telling me the truth will not lead to anything happening to any of you by God’s grace” Zulum told the principals.

The Governor went down memory lane to remind the principals of glorious days, and the need for all stakeholders to regain quality in public school system.

“I can recall that twenty years ago, principals were not willing to even become permanent secretaries because of job satisfaction. Today, that satisfaction is longer there. There is general decline in the standard of education in public institutions all over the country. There is the lack of qualified teachers, inadequate teaching facilities, poor maintenance culture, general decay of infrastructure, Government's inability to ensure monitoring and evaluation, centralized control by the Ministry, unnecessary bureaucracy, and irregular training and retraining of teachers and other essential staff. There is poor data management and indiscipline amongst the major problems affecting the public school system” Zulum enumerated.

The Governor assured measures will continually be adopted to improve the training and welfare of teachers and administrators of public school system to motivate high performance while supervision will be drastically changed for the purpose of punishing those unready to change.

After the Governor’s remark, the principals took turns to voice out problems of the 84 secondary schools across Borno’s 27 local government areas.

Most of the principals complained about poor quality of primary school graduates who come into secondary schools without strong foundation. They urged the Governor to critically look into reintroduction of common entrance examination at primary six levels, which should be yardstick for admission into secondary schools.

... No common entrance, no JSS 1’

After listening to the 84 principals, Governor Zulum directed them to write down all the problems they listed and more if any, for submission to him within one week.

The Governor also directed the immediate reintroduction of the common entrance examination at primary six levels.

Zulum also directed the enforcement of a qualifying policy that henceforth, only pupils who pass the examination by securing a cut-off mark, should be eligible for admission into the first year of junior secondary schools (JSS 1), as against giving admissions to all pupils regardless of common entrance criteria.

Zulum also directed that school authorities must henceforth take all qualifying and promotional examinations seriously as Government will monitor all conducts.

https://www.facebook.com/355177254819159/posts/1310882752581933/

58 Likes 1 Share

Re: Public Schools: Tell Me The Truth - Zulum Begs At Meeting With Borno Principals by emillysmigael(f): 3:07pm On Oct 12, 2020
This is the only real Governor in the North

455 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Public Schools: Tell Me The Truth - Zulum Begs At Meeting With Borno Principals by Completelife: 3:12pm On Oct 12, 2020
shocked embarassed undecided undecided cool grin shocked

5 Likes

Re: Public Schools: Tell Me The Truth - Zulum Begs At Meeting With Borno Principals by chatinent: 3:22pm On Oct 12, 2020
Sometimes, the truth is better left unsaid.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Public Schools: Tell Me The Truth - Zulum Begs At Meeting With Borno Principals by DEXTROVERT: 3:32pm On Oct 12, 2020
God
Bless
Zulum

He
Is
The
Only
Hero
Nigeria
Have
Presently

219 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Public Schools: Tell Me The Truth - Zulum Begs At Meeting With Borno Principals by Nobody: 3:33pm On Oct 12, 2020
Zulum doesn't have the features of an apc governor. He has a listening ear and a human heart

291 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Public Schools: Tell Me The Truth - Zulum Begs At Meeting With Borno Principals by collum(m): 4:41pm On Oct 12, 2020
he Is my finest governor in Nigeria . calm, focus, conscience fill

170 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Public Schools: Tell Me The Truth - Zulum Begs At Meeting With Borno Principals by BennyDGreat: 5:05pm On Oct 12, 2020
Hopefully, one day the North East will be terrorism free

110 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Public Schools: Tell Me The Truth - Zulum Begs At Meeting With Borno Principals by egopersonified(f): 6:42pm On Oct 12, 2020
Meanwhile another governor sacked his aide for telling him and Nigerians the truth.

217 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Public Schools: Tell Me The Truth - Zulum Begs At Meeting With Borno Principals by ChemicalReaction(f): 7:00pm On Oct 12, 2020
Gov Zulum is the real definition of an educated Nigerian Politician.

174 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Public Schools: Tell Me The Truth - Zulum Begs At Meeting With Borno Principals by sinkhole: 7:18pm On Oct 12, 2020
Comparing the thinking of a Professor to the one who could not even locate his primary school certificate again is unjustifiable and pure wickedness.
Next time we want to elect leaders, we should very clearly consider their educational level.

112 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Public Schools: Tell Me The Truth - Zulum Begs At Meeting With Borno Principals by Abdulhakeem78(m): 7:20pm On Oct 12, 2020
The centre of learning people should please beg Gov. Zulum to govern their state even if it would just be six months. Maybe our Uncle could learn one or two things from his style of good governance and exceptional attributes of leadership. Centre of learning needs someone like Gov. Zulum. I have phobia for a short man.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Public Schools: Tell Me The Truth - Zulum Begs At Meeting With Borno Principals by osamz007: 9:51pm On Oct 12, 2020
NA GOVERNOR BE THIS, BUHARI BORROW SENSE FROM HIM

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Public Schools: Tell Me The Truth - Zulum Begs At Meeting With Borno Principals by auuduuu: 10:25pm On Oct 12, 2020
I nearly cry zulum may God bless you :

89 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Public Schools: Tell Me The Truth - Zulum Begs At Meeting With Borno Principals by Dayoebe(m): 12:06am On Oct 13, 2020
Gov Zulum is a blessing to northern Nigerian citizens. I wonder how he is an APC member

81 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Public Schools: Tell Me The Truth - Zulum Begs At Meeting With Borno Principals by Ereolamide: 12:37am On Oct 13, 2020
There are 84 secondary schools in borno state?

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Public Schools: Tell Me The Truth - Zulum Begs At Meeting With Borno Principals by ArticleBeast: 6:12am On Oct 13, 2020
Ereolamide:
There are 84 secondary schools in borno state?
Public schools not private schools

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Public Schools: Tell Me The Truth - Zulum Begs At Meeting With Borno Principals by 4t4th(m): 8:45am On Oct 13, 2020
gov zulum my hero

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Public Schools: Tell Me The Truth - Zulum Begs At Meeting With Borno Principals by ILoveDemMANNA: 9:22am On Oct 13, 2020
This is the GOVERNOR OF THE YEAR .......atleast for me.
May God continue to guide and guard you forever Your Excellency.

Dayoebe:
Gov Zulum is a blessing to northern Nigerian citizens.
I wonder how he is an APC member
plusfield:
Zulum doesn't have the features of an APC governor.

But you would have loved him to have the ONLY FEATURE of a PDP governor and loot all the money in Borno state like James Ibori did to your state before he was jailed in UK for his atrocities?

Dis wailers sef, una be comedians for dis forum.
Keep giving us the jokes abeg.
Politics don turn some people to something else.
You should all keep rubbing your bruised egos anyways.
Hehehehe grin grin grin
Una funny oooo grin cheesy

28 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Public Schools: Tell Me The Truth - Zulum Begs At Meeting With Borno Principals by Ustec: 9:22am On Oct 13, 2020
Maybe the general truth,
Not your own personal truth,e get why.
Re: Public Schools: Tell Me The Truth - Zulum Begs At Meeting With Borno Principals by Nobody: 9:22am On Oct 13, 2020
Zulum is good.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Public Schools: Tell Me The Truth - Zulum Begs At Meeting With Borno Principals by protests: 9:22am On Oct 13, 2020
Now you are ready to hear...
Sir, can you please swap brains with Pa Buhari just till weekend? Please.
#BuharHasBeenABadBoy is the new trending tag, please help Pa Buhari. Thank you.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Public Schools: Tell Me The Truth - Zulum Begs At Meeting With Borno Principals by ILoveDemMANNA: 9:23am On Oct 13, 2020
Dayoebe:
Gov Zulum is a blessing to northern Nigerian citizens.
I wonder how he is an APC member
You would have been happy if he his a PDP member?
Dis wailers sef, una be comedians for dis forum.
Keep giving us the jokes abeg.
Heheheh grin grin grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Public Schools: Tell Me The Truth - Zulum Begs At Meeting With Borno Principals by YorubaKinging: 9:23am On Oct 13, 2020
The end is near
Re: Public Schools: Tell Me The Truth - Zulum Begs At Meeting With Borno Principals by jericco1(m): 9:24am On Oct 13, 2020
I believe he is not blind
Maybe he should remove the sunshade he is wearing
Re: Public Schools: Tell Me The Truth - Zulum Begs At Meeting With Borno Principals by Princerichi0(m): 9:24am On Oct 13, 2020
Brb
Re: Public Schools: Tell Me The Truth - Zulum Begs At Meeting With Borno Principals by October13: 9:24am On Oct 13, 2020
cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Words And Acronyms That Gained Popularity In Year 2020. / NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree / 38 Nigerian Universities Increase Tuition Fees – ASUU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.