Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,270 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:09 AM

Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure (50153 Views)

Masked Niger-Delta Militants Root For Tinubu, Vow To Deliver Region For APC / Restructuring. Northern Leaders Root For 12 State Structure Oct.13 / Abia APGA Collapses State Structure Into APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by lymelyte(m): 7:18pm On Oct 13, 2020
Excuses:

Well said bro..I would've love to agree with you but you see, Britain will not allow that & that includes US..US will always respect the opinions of their mother on its colonies..from which they still benefit..it's politics you know, as usual north will have upper hand and advantages..let's hope everything works perfectly for the benefit of all that's my earnest wish..
allow what? You think we are still in the 1960's?
Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by Ojiofor: 7:18pm On Oct 13, 2020
Bkayyy:

Why use fake Igbo name as moniker when you are not one.
It Speaks so much of your self esteem and how you regard your roots

Bla Bla all this new nairalanders sef.Comot for road make i see better people.

2 Likes

Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by lymelyte(m): 7:19pm On Oct 13, 2020
engrchykae:
our brothers were separated from us and sold to benue,Edo.
We want our brothers back.
The igbanke in Edo and unuezeokoha in benue must be returned to us
return to who? Na by force to be ibo? Why are you scared of been alone?

3 Likes

Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by Obodogri: 7:20pm On Oct 13, 2020
Juliusmalema:

Maybe but not back to any damn 12 states.

I totally agree
Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by Ngorbungor(m): 7:21pm On Oct 13, 2020
lymelyte:

Which you dey self, are you from the said group of people? You are the one been scared if you don't know
Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by macjireh: 7:23pm On Oct 13, 2020
Fernandeswagger:

Correct talk. 100% resource control...it's been long overdue. It's about time that happens. It will encourage creativity, ingenuity and loads of innovations. It will bring out the best in each state. I don't advocate for the regional system because it will lead to marginalization some people will be oppressed in that system. Instead maintain the current states, but let the states have 100% control of their resources. Let the states be able to develop without waiting for someone in Abuja to approve.
I beg to differ...if d restructuring is properly done,there won't be marginalization... wat I will posit is that d representation at d federal level should be collapsed into d regional structure.. dat time a Governor will be like d President,,while d governor office now will be d office of d deputies,,so one one regional Governor will have several deputies from each state,,and there would house of rep and house of Assembly structure in each region to create more representation... at d federal level there would be just one legislative chamber(d senate),,,so how would there be marginalization? dat system will just too fluid
Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by lymelyte(m): 7:24pm On Oct 13, 2020
Ngorbungor:

Which you dey self, are you from the said group of people? You are the one been scared if you don't know
I am a true-blue deltan..why don't you allow the people decided for themselves.. Must you choose for them?

2 Likes

Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by gidgiddy: 7:32pm On Oct 13, 2020
Dminister:
This narrative is baseless because the Ikwere people know their roots. You claimed Ikwere people bearing Igbo names to be Igbo when they made it clear they are from Edo. I know my root and you know your root so when I say you are not from Igbo does it justify my claim? Only you know your root and can justify your root just like the Ikwere people have done. Go and ask them, you will hear them loud and clear.

Anybody can claim to be from anywhere, some Igbos even claim to be from Israel. But no matter where one claims his ancestors are from, if the persons ancestral language and ancestral surname is Igbo, that person is Igbo

It is left for the person to explain to the world why his ancestors migrated from Edo just to abandon their language and ancestral name, and adopt that of Igbo.

3 Likes

Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by amliftedhigher: 7:36pm On Oct 13, 2020
Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by samdunzo: 7:39pm On Oct 13, 2020
macjireh:

I beg to differ...if d restructuring is properly done,there won't be marginalization... wat I will posit is that d representation at d federal level should be collapsed into d regional structure.. dat time a Governor will be like d President,,while d governor office now will be d office of d deputies,,so one one regional Governor will have several deputies from each state,,and there would house of rep and house of Assembly structure in each region to create more representation... at d federal level there would be just one legislative chamber(d senate),,,so how would there be marginalization? dat system will just too fluid
If I may add, in a properly restructured Nigeria, the current LGA's will become like mini states making up the proposed regions... which will certainly put all talks of potential marginalization to an end
Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by Misterdhee1(m): 7:41pm On Oct 13, 2020
gidgiddy:

Anybody can claim to be from anywhere, some Igbos even claim to be from Israel. But no matter where one claims his ancestors are from, if the persons ancestral language and ancestral surname is Igbo, that person is Igbo

It is left for the person to explain to the world why his ancestors migrated from Edo just to abandon their language and ancestral name, and adopt that of Igbo.
You like wahala o. Person say hin no igbo, you insist he's igbo. Na by force?

2 Likes

Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by Obamaofusa: 7:44pm On Oct 13, 2020
omenka:
"You choose which evil you will see".

Interesting. That sums up everything about you. I didnt bother reading the remaining portions of what you wrote because it would amount to a waste of precious time.

By the way, I've got an advice for you, learn to make paragraphs on what you write. It makes it more legible.

Good night.
Read to understand what he wrote. It sums up where Nigeria got it all wrong and without addressing these areas,we might be going in circles.You just don't blame your governors et al when the problem is systemic and embedded in the Northern-made constitution.
I think it is better we go back to the regional system which was growth intensive but this time mid west combined with Niger Delta can be the fourth region.There will be competition amongst the four regions which will galvanize real and positive growth.
Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by Princewell2012(m): 7:51pm On Oct 13, 2020
Rugaria:
If the north leads the so-called restructuring process to fit their grand design again, the rest of the country should object. What I have learnt from all that is going on is that the socalled north gets away with all sorts of evil , simply because the rest of the country is docile. The lopsided state and local government structures in place today were all whimsically designed by northern army officers to favour the north to the detriment of the southern part of the country especially the east. They have more states, more local governments, more allocations, more senators, more....., it's endless ! Now, they are fearful that after Buhari, with the trends of political events, a real restructuring might happen, and they want to quickly effect changes to guarantee nothern domination for another century. This is wrong! It's either everybody is treated equally going forward, or the whole country should expire..

Somebody said Buhari is going to be the last president. This might be true to an extent, going by his silence in this regard. I don't think that man would like to handover to anybody, apart from himself not even to the so called APC. Let wait and see. But God shall see us through.
Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by macjireh: 7:53pm On Oct 13, 2020
samdunzo:

If I may add, in a properly restructured Nigeria, the current LGA's will become like mini states making up the proposed regions... which will certainly put all talks of potential marginalization to an end
exactly...there will be enough representation in dat system,, no stone will be left unturned
Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by Dminister(m): 7:58pm On Oct 13, 2020
gidgiddy:

What happened when you are claiming particular people to be your tribe and they refused to accept it? Do you force it down their throat. People can only say they are not from a particular tribe because they know their root. I can't claim to be Igbo God forbid. I can only claim my ancestral root. It is well understood that the Igbo people are from Israel just like it is a well known fact that the Edo People are from Egypt. Go do your research before you start arguing unnecessary.

2 Likes

Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by macjireh: 7:59pm On Oct 13, 2020
Princewell2012:

Somebody said Buhari is going to be the last president. This might be true to an extent, going by his silence in this regard. I don't think that man would like to handover to anybody, apart from himself not even to the so called APC. Let wait and see. But God shall see us through.
datz trash talk...buhari may not even be in office till 2023 sef..after everything abacha did,,how did he end??.FYI God is very much interested in Nigeria,, BTW now and 2024 u will wonder if Nigeria can so much transform under d shortest possible time

1 Like

Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by engrchykae(m): 8:02pm On Oct 13, 2020
lymelyte:
umuezeokoha in benue are Igbo,stop being intentionally dumb.
Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by Nobody: 8:18pm On Oct 13, 2020
IGBOSON1:

Don’t know on what basis you’re calling me a parasite simply because i want all Igbo under one roof!

Your problem is that you’re such a calculating, greedy muthafucker that you see everything through the prism of pecuniary and monetary gain! You can’t seem to wrap your head around the fact that for some, family; brotherhood; kinship; and sharing all mean more than plotting who the next victim for exploitation would be!
Is that all?
Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by Foookaaa: 8:20pm On Oct 13, 2020
omenka:
This attitude of us blaming EVERYTHING on the NORTH is the reason our respective states government get away with all manner of crimes against our people. They feel they owe us no responsibility whatsoever, because regardless of what they do, we will BLAME THE NORTH.

I am not sold to this nonsense of blaming the north over everything. I prefer to ask, first of all, what has my successive state governments got to show for the allocations they've received over the years? Ditto local government chairmen, Senators and Representatives. What is there to show?

Is the North the reason why a Southern governor's brother who has no visible source of income, drive the most exotic cars and build the most luxurious houses and buy the choicest properties?

Is the North the reason Southern government officials populate employment vacancies with their family members?

Is the North the reason a Southern state governor owing aged pensioners go on to collect billions in "security votes"?

Are they the reason we have comatose public health and educational systems in the South?

Are they the reason why our state houses of assemblies have become rubber stamps for the executive and the speakers exalted houseboys of the governors?

Are they the reason Southern Senators and Reps collect constituency allowance and pocket same without executing a single project?

The questions are endless!

We should stop blaming the North and hold our very own leaders to account for once. That is what an educated man would do.

This attitude of seeing everything North as bad blinds us to accepting progress. But for the 12 states proposal, there is not much for me to disagree with, and if I was being honest, Gowon's 12 state structure is probably one of the better compromises between our unworkable structure and the unbalanced federal structure from the First Republic. The two things the structure had going for it was the balance between North and South (South had Lagos, Western, Midwest, East Central, South East and Rivers while North had Kwara, Kano, Benue-Plateau, North Central, North West and North East), and that a lot of the states were responsive to minority agitations (Rivers, Benue-Plateau, South East, North East) or regional separatism (Kwara wanted to join the West, Kano vexed after Bello dethroned their Emir and Lagos was proud of its independent status as capital).

Obviously, I think the motives of the 12 states were suspicious, and provinces like Rivers and Kano got their states, provinces like Sokoto, Bauchi, Borno, Oyo, Niger all started asking for their own states too. Also, Lagos and Kano as standalone states in this arrangement may have made sense in 1967 but not so much in 2020

I don't necessarily think I want Nigeria to revert back to the Gowon's 12 states but I think we need a balance between returning to autonomous regions for economic viability reasons, and ensuring that the minorities and ethnic nationalities are not marginalized like they were in the First Republic.

I prefer the proposal that turns the 6 geopolitical zones into regions, although I think the eight zones or region makes equitable sense. The regions can modify the current states and LGs how they deem fit, although if it were up to me I would ensure each nationality in my region has a state or province, and then I would basically merge LGs with autonomous communities.

1 Like

Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by gidgiddy: 8:21pm On Oct 13, 2020
Kirigidi:
What if those places you mentioned refused to be merged to Eastern Region saying they are not Igbos, will you force them to join your region?

Then they stay in whatever Region they have chosen. Thats what referendum is for, to allow everyone to choose

1 Like

Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by Misterdhee1(m): 8:25pm On Oct 13, 2020
gidgiddy:

Then they stay in whatever Region they have chosen. Thats what referendum is for, to allow everyone to choose
Why should they undergo a referendum when their identity is never in doubt within themselves? Will you ask Hausas, Yorubas, Igalas, Kanuris and Edos to do referendum too to decide which region they want to go?

1 Like

Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by Ngorbungor(m): 8:26pm On Oct 13, 2020
Dminister:

What happened when you are claiming particular people to be your tribe and they refused to accept it? Do you force it down their throat. People can only say they are not from a particular tribe because they know their root. [b]I can't claim to be Igbo God forbid. [/b]I can only claim my ancestral root. It is well understood that the Igbo people are from Israel just like it is a well known fact that the Edo People are from Egypt. Go do your research before you start arguing unnecessary.

And if I may ask are you better then Igbo? What a stu:pid statement
Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by gidgiddy: 8:27pm On Oct 13, 2020
Dminister:

What happened when you are claiming particular people to be your tribe and they refused to accept it? Do you force it down their throat. People can only say they are not from a particular tribe because they know their root. I can't claim to be Igbo God forbid. I can only claim my ancestral root. It is well understood that the Igbo people are from Israel just like it is a well known fact that the Edo People are from Egypt. Go do your research before you start arguing unnecessary.

Someday, Efik people will also tell you they are from Japan. May be then you will ask them why their ancestors forgot their Japanese language and surname to adopt that of Efik
Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by Ngorbungor(m): 8:30pm On Oct 13, 2020
Misterdhee1:

Why should they undergo a referendum when their identity is never in doubt within themselves? Will you ask Hausas, Yorubas, Igalas, Kanuris and Edos to do referendum too to decide which region they want to go?

Why won't the Igbos in SS undergo referendum, let them choose where they want to belong, beside not all of them will go with the SE, but at least more than half will
Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by Jamesbiodun(m): 8:33pm On Oct 13, 2020
12 state structure? the north is trying to merge with the south for resource control, I don't trust them, but south politicians won't say shit
Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by gidgiddy: 8:33pm On Oct 13, 2020
Misterdhee1:

Of course. A Region should only be created by referendum.
Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by gidgiddy: 8:34pm On Oct 13, 2020
Misterdhee1:

Of course. A Region should only be created by referendum. Only those who have chosen to be together should be together.
Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by sweetilicious(f): 8:34pm On Oct 13, 2020
Rugaria:
If the north leads the so-called restructuring process to fit their grand design again, the rest of the country should object. What I have learnt from all that is going on is that the socalled north gets away with all sorts of evil , simply because the rest of the country is docile. The lopsided state and local government structures in place today were all whimsically designed by northern army officers to favour the north to the detriment of the southern part of the country especially the east. They have more states, more local governments, more allocations, more senators, more....., it's endless ! Now, they are fearful that after Buhari, with the trends of political events, a real restructuring might happen, and they want to quickly effect changes to guarantee nothern domination for another century. This is wrong! It's either everybody is treated equally going forward, or the whole country should expire..
So right
Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by awgumayor: 8:39pm On Oct 13, 2020
Redcrafton:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/10/restructuring-northern-leaders-root-for-12-state-structure/
Only a fool will call northerners fools. They proffered 12 states to weaken the voices of self-determination and secession. They know that if allows the six geopolitical zones as a federating states voice of secession will still be heared. The way north fears breakup I don't think they will settle for anything less than their 12-states proposal. But that won't be acceptable by the Igbos, unless they start sounding political correct as usual. The 12 states was created to weaken the Igbos and diminish their land and that must be corrected.
If Nigeria should restructure let it be done along ethnic and cultural line so that the issue of "we" south south will stop, everyone will mind their own people.

1 Like

Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by Misterdhee1(m): 8:40pm On Oct 13, 2020
Ngorbungor:

Why won't the Igbos in SS undergo referendum, let them choose where they want to belong, beside not all of them will go with the SE, but at least more than half will
But most don't identify as igbos in the first place. So why should they have to undergo a process that their natural stance is known?

1 Like

Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by awgumayor: 8:48pm On Oct 13, 2020
Rugaria:

Western minorities should have their own region too. Let all be free to be represented.. I mean the Aworis, the Eguns et all..

According to bubu's mind, all of you are talking shit.
Re: Restructuring: Northern Leaders Root For 12-State Structure by Ngorbungor(m): 8:53pm On Oct 13, 2020
Misterdhee1:

But most don't identify as igbos in the first place. So why should they have to undergo a process that their natural stance is known?

Who said that ? You? Please don't just argue what you don't know, it's only ikwerre people that I know of, even at that they are divided on the matter, and we are not even bother about them, just two local government!!!, they should be worry about the Ijaw. But for others groups they have higher chance of joining the main stream Igbo and it will be better for them than becoming a useless minority group in the new proposed region.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

President Buhari's Incredible Come Back Journey In one Picture / Femi Fani-Kayode In Green White Green With Yerima In Zamfara (Pictures) / APC Youths Hold Rally For Tinubu In Abuja (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.