Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,961 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:04 AM

What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? (5644 Views)

I Was Treated Like A Piece Of Used Material - Vincent Enyeama / Who Is Your Favourite To Win Ballon D'or 2019? / Neymar Unfollows Edinson Cavani On Instagram Over Set-Piece Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by pocohantas(f): 7:17pm On Oct 14, 2020
I saw this post by a Nairalander today and it struck.

EmeraldKing7:

...The male lion is similar to the King in the game of chess.Not the strongest compared to the Queen but when the King is captured the game ends. Just like when the Male of a Pride gets killed or defeated,the pride ends.

He made a very valid point. We all know without the king, there is no game, but I will really like to know the favourite piece of chess players and why you love that piece. Be you an amateur, intermediate or a professional player.

Mine used to be the queen, I loved how versatile she is, but felt very useless without her. Now I love the knight;

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12513979_792a03ec00764fb7bfcf95a09ff8477b_jpeg_jpeg03346dbbe21fc3ecdb1baebfafcba4ee

a good and unpredictable defender- thanks to its L movement, it can jump over anything cheesy cheesy.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Dididrumz(m): 7:30pm On Oct 14, 2020
If only I knew how to play Chess.
But I want to learn though.
Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Xavie(m): 7:41pm On Oct 14, 2020
Who would not say queen she is by far the strongest

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by izzou(m): 7:42pm On Oct 14, 2020
What is Chess, please?

sad
Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by pocohantas(f): 7:47pm On Oct 14, 2020
izzou:
What is Chess, please?

sad

Chess is draught 10.0 grin grin

Ogogoro people play draught.
Hennessy people play chess.

*runs out*

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Froshloaded: 7:59pm On Oct 14, 2020
pocohantas:

*runs out*

Lmao

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by izzou(m): 8:00pm On Oct 14, 2020
pocohantas:

*runs out*

grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Ugaboy: 8:27pm On Oct 14, 2020
Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Ugaboy: 8:33pm On Oct 14, 2020
pocohantas:

Ogogoro people play draught. Hennessy people play chess.
*runs out*

No...u don't know anything about draught.
u need to be more calculative and rational when playing draught.
u can under rate draught here.
though I don't how to play chess...but I wish to know if time permits.
Let's us settle this beef
Like For CHESS & Share for DRAUGHT

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Ugaboy: 8:33pm On Oct 14, 2020
pocohantas:

Ogogoro people play draught. Hennessy people play chess.
*runs out*

Like For CHESS & Share for DRAUGHT

6 Likes

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Xavie(m): 8:37pm On Oct 14, 2020
Ugaboy:

Like For CHESS &
Share for DRAUGHT
No do this comparison outside... it is an unmistakable sign of mediocrity

6 Likes

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Nobody: 8:41pm On Oct 14, 2020
Ugaboy:

Like For CHESS &
Share for DRAUGHT

There's nothing to like and share.
Draught ended where Chess just began.

In this order. Chess > Chinese checkers > Draught.

As for the favorite chess piece, it should be in this order.
Queen > Knight > Rook/Bishop > Pawn > King.
There shouldn't be any explanation for this order. It's self explanatory.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Ugaboy: 8:55pm On Oct 14, 2020
light099:

There's nothing to like and share here.
Draught is ended where chess began.

In this order. Chess > Chinese checkers > Draught.

As for the favorite chess piece, it should be in this order.
Queen > Knight > Rook/Bishop > Pawn > King.
I don't think there should be any explanation for this order.

I don't know any ruled and skill behind Chess..as for DRAUGHT, I can boast that the level of calculate, technique is no way to compare.

Draught will teach u how to be organized, watchful, attack, defend, aim for rank, sacrifice, calculative, recreate new tactics, kill many with a tile, etc

u can use the lessons from draught and apply to daily life...u will realize that draught is teacher not just a game.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Ishilove: 9:16pm On Oct 14, 2020
The only board game I know is ludo.

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Eryyy92: 7:11am On Oct 15, 2020
Ugaboy:

I don't know any ruled and skill behind Chess..as for DRAUGHT, I can boast that the level of calculate, technique is no way to compare.

Draught will teach u how to be organized, watchful, attack, defend, aim for rank, sacrifice, calculative, recreate new tactics, kill many with a tile, etc

u can use the lessons from draught and apply to daily life...u will realize that draught is teacher not just a game.
Bro no embarrass your self outside with this argument. I learnt draught very well in one day when I was 8yrs but chess, I'm still struggling I mean I'm an amateur. Chess it's very strategic, technical, and it can give you tactics on how to live your life. Experts in chess are believe to be smart.

5 Likes

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Localemperor: 10:57am On Oct 15, 2020
My favorite piece is BISHOP ( the two of them of cause ). what I normally do is to exchange my Queen with the opponent's queen and attack with both bishop and a Knight.

5 Likes

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Localemperor: 10:59am On Oct 15, 2020
Ugaboy:

Guy no talk this thing outside oo.. There was a reason Chess was rank the greatest board game of all time.

5 Likes

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by phr0nesis(m): 12:57pm On Oct 15, 2020
Why should it no be the Queen
Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Kaycee7(m): 2:09pm On Oct 15, 2020
The Queen. But that's probably because I've been sleeping at beginner level for years. grin grin

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by ThierryJay: 3:58pm On Oct 15, 2020
The Knight is the most frustrating piece for an opponent, and my favorite as a result. Due to it's not so straightforward movement, it can stealthily capture the opponents best officers without them seeing it coming.

Also a very good faithful protector of other pieces. And when two knights are working in tandem, it's Checkmate!

6 Likes

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Enceladus(m): 7:11pm On Oct 15, 2020
The pawn. They are very underated, meaning stealth attacking my opponent with the pawns without him knowing whatsup until too late. Also, its the only piece that can evolve into any other piece except the king.

4 Likes

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Kaycee7(m): 7:43pm On Oct 15, 2020
ThierryJay:
The Knight is the most frustrating piece for an opponent, and my favorite as a result. Due to it's not so straightforward movement, it can stealthily capture the opponents best officers without them seeing it coming.

Also a very good faithful protector of other pieces. And when two knights are working in tandem, it's Checkmate!
See them. Set awon "I'm not really that good". Boom! Them don chop your queen with one rook and one bishop.

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Localemperor: 8:09pm On Oct 15, 2020
Kaycee7:
See them. Set awon "I'm not really that good". Boom! Them don chop your queen with one rook and one bishop.
grin grin
Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Xavie(m): 8:56pm On Oct 15, 2020
Kaycee7:
The Queen. But that's probably because I've been sleeping at beginner level for years. grin grin
omo forget the queen is the strongest whether you be beginner or not, the only thing be sey everybody is wary of it thereby limiting its brutality

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Localemperor: 6:28am On Oct 16, 2020
Xavie:
omo forget the queen is the strongest whether you be beginner or not, the only thing be sey everybody is wary of it thereby limiting its brutality
The queen is the most powerful peace no doubt, but it brutality could be tamed when there was consistent threat to her life.. ( Everybody dey fear for this life especially when small or low ranking officers wan use you shine grin )

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by XRJP: 2:23pm On Oct 23, 2020
pocohantas:

*runs out*

����

This is by far the funniest comment I've read on Nairaland in a long time

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by XRJP: 2:30pm On Oct 23, 2020
Well, my favourite piece is the knight, for it's unconventional movement and it's quick ability switch from defense to attack... Although it's quite hard to learn to use it to it's full potential

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by XRJP: 2:57pm On Oct 23, 2020
Eryyy92:
Bro no embarrass your self outside with this argument. I learnt draught very well in one day when I was 8yrs but chess, I'm still struggling I mean I'm an amateur. Chess it's very strategic, technical, and it can give you tactics on how to live your life. Experts in chess are believe to be smart.

To the best of my knowledge, draught is just as technical and strategic as chess... It may be easier to learn but then, it's strategies, techniques and tricks are not as easy as you think... It also requires deep thinking, especially if you're playing against a very experienced player who knows what he's doing... Alluding to the bolded part of your comment, it took me less than 2 hours to learn the basics of chess (movement, starting arrangement and game tracking) when I was 12, doesn't mean chess is an easy game... I believe both games are for thinkerers with one more classy than the other for obvious reasons grin grin

-Chess also has more possible combinations due to the flexible movement of some of its piece and as a result of this it's play time tend to be longer

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Najdorf: 3:31pm On Oct 23, 2020
The more you study the game the harder it gets to answer this question.

Pawns are literally the soul of the game. Having the bishop pair in an open position can lead to devastating attacks. A well placed knight can be worth more than a rook. Queen's and rooks are already inherently powerful and important but your ability to make use of the other pieces imo is more important.

If I had to pick sha maybe a knight or pawn.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by DonX001: 10:13pm On Oct 24, 2020
Ugaboy:

Like For CHESS &
Share for DRAUGHT
Bros, no fall your hand abeg.
If you learn chess and come and look at this your comment in like 3 years time, e go be like say make you slap yourself by yourself walahi. grin

I play both reasonably well, and there's no comparison.
There is a reason one is played by top military strategists, royalty and top thinkers worldwide, and the other is not so much.
There is a reason one is celebrated globally and respected, and the other one is not so much so.
(Compare if you're known as a chess grandmaster to if you're known as a draughts grandmaster).

There is a reason chess is used to measure AI (artificial intelligence) ability of supercomputers, and the other is not.

The degrees of complexity, possible moves and strategy required are worlds apart, at all levels of the game.

Abeg, try go learn chess and advance in it well.
You go come back come delete your comment. grin

4 Likes

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by DonX001: 10:16pm On Oct 24, 2020
Kaycee7:
grin grin grin grin grin
Now this got me laughing out loud.
You've obviously met some good bad guys on the board.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Odemwingie Desperate For Nations Cup / "We Are Not Neglecting The Super Falcons" - Amaju Pinnick / Where In The World Is Reuben Agboola?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.