Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,484 members, 7,816,145 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:34 AM

What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? (5651 Views)

I Was Treated Like A Piece Of Used Material - Vincent Enyeama / Who Is Your Favourite To Win Ballon D'or 2019? / Neymar Unfollows Edinson Cavani On Instagram Over Set-Piece Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by DonX001: 11:03pm On Oct 24, 2020
@Topic,

The queen is obviously the strongest,

But I really love my knights, because of their ability to mount attacks that are not anticipated due to their "k-legged" movements.

A knight's fork attack on the king and rook is always sweet when unanticipated, and can be the beginning of the dismantling of the opponent's defence.
A knight can attack many pieces at the same time, more so than most other officers, cos it can jump over pieces.
Even sweeter is when the knight manages to fork the king and a queen lying carelessly around, the look on the opponent's face when he realizes his queen is gone is always fantastic.

Knights are also good for discovered check attacks, especially in combination with a well placed bishop hidden in one corner.
Before you know it you've harvested one queen or one rook, or one nice free piece, while the king has to move to safety.

Chess is a sweet game sha.

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Nobody: 5:31am On Oct 25, 2020
DonX001:
@Topic,

The queen is obviously the strongest,

But I really love my knights, because of their ability to mount attacks that are not anticipated due to their "k-legged" movements.

A knight's fork attack on the king and rook is always sweet when unanticipated, and can be the beginning of the dismantling of the opponent's defence.
A knight can attack many pieces at the same time, more so than most other officers, cos it can jump over pieces.
Even sweeter is when the knight manages to fork the king and a queen lying carelessly around, the look on the opponent's face when he realizes his queen is gone is always fantastic.

Knights are also good for discovered check attacks, especially in combination with a well placed bishop hidden in one corner.
Before you know it you've harvested one queen or one rook, or one nice free piece, while the king has to move to safety.

Chess is a sweet game sha.
there's a chess player WhatsApp group,do you want in?

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Kaycee7(m): 6:17am On Oct 25, 2020
DonX001:

grin grin grin grin grin
Now this got me laughing out loud.
You've obviously met some good bad guys on the board.
You know it, bro. grin

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by XRJP: 12:06pm On Oct 25, 2020
Igbosmoker:

How active is the group?
Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by joygiver1: 12:50pm On Oct 25, 2020
pocohantas:
I saw this post by a Nairalander today and it struck.

My favorite piece is the knight... Could be used for "Fox" and unexpected attacks... After the queen it's the most powerful piece for me!!
Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by DICKstractor: 2:01pm On Oct 25, 2020
How much does a chess board called
Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by devilmaycry: 2:02pm On Oct 25, 2020
y'all underrating rook tho

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Localemperor: 2:35pm On Oct 25, 2020
DICKstractor:
How much does a chess board cost
Its depends on the size and class you want, a chess board could cost as high as 30k but there are some for as low as 2500. design and class matters
Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Localemperor: 2:39pm On Oct 25, 2020
devilmaycry:
y'all underrating rook tho
guy forget rook no get levels when the crisis is still on. na when game done dey end na him rook dey show him self.
Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Oct 25, 2020
XRJP:

How active is the group?
a new group, we play tournaments regularly. I think we are 15 currently,you can also add anyone interested
Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by XRJP: 3:41pm On Oct 25, 2020
Igbosmoker:
a new group, we play tournaments regularly. I think we are 15 currently,you can also add anyone interested

Alright, I'd like to join the group...

How do I become a member?
Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by DonX001: 4:34pm On Oct 25, 2020
Igbosmoker:
Thanks man, would have loved to join, but got too many things on my plate right at the moment, so have next to no time for chess this period.
Maybe soon when my workload/schedule lightens up, I'll quote you and request to be added.
Thanks.
Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Oct 25, 2020
XRJP:

send me your phone number. I'll send you the link on whatsapp
Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Oct 25, 2020
DonX001:

Thanks man, would have loved to join, but got too many things on my plate right at the moment, so have next to no time for chess this period.
Maybe soon when my workload/schedule lightens up, I'll quote you and request to be added.
Thanks.
Alright
Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by DICKstractor: 4:59pm On Oct 25, 2020
Localemperor:
Its depends on the size and class you want, a chess board could cost as high as 30k but there are some for as low as 2500. design and class matters
All with the same features.... Right?
Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by iObEy(m): 5:02pm On Oct 25, 2020
For those of you comparing draught and chess, they're both for thinkers.

Draught might be a little easier to learn but when you play someone more skilled, you'll understand why draught is for smart brains.

In draughts, all pieces are of equal strength unless you have a piece promoted to king.

Draught is either won if you have any of these advantage over the other player.
1. Your ability to calculate long range chain movements.
2. Your piece positioning ability.
3. Your conditioning ability.
4. Crowned piece(s).
5. You have more piece on the board compared to your opponent.
6. Your mouth sharp grin

Chess is also a strategic game, probably more strategic because of the numerous books and heirachy of officers (it is more realistic).

Chess have too many strategies Sha. Chess is famous and more recognized internationally.

Chess rules are uniform almost all parts of the world But draught rules are not the same. E.g. American checkers is different from British draughts, Australia etc.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Oct 25, 2020
XRJP:

I see you tried sending me an email . I lost that account.

You can email me with

postermedra2@gmail.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Localemperor: 7:06pm On Oct 25, 2020
DICKstractor:
All with the same features.... Right?
yeah!!
Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by DICKstractor: 7:23pm On Oct 25, 2020
Localemperor:
yeah!!
Cool... I'm getting one soon but don't know how to play
Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by XRJP: 7:24pm On Oct 25, 2020
iObEy:
For those of you comparing draught and chess, they're both for thinkers.

Draught might be a little easier to learn but when you play someone more skilled, you'll understand why draught is for smart brains.

In draughts, all pieces are of equal strength unless you have a piece promoted to king.

Draught is either won if you have any of these advantage over the other player.
1. Your ability to calculate long range chain movements.
2. Your piece positioning ability.
3. Your conditioning ability.
4. Crowned piece(s).
5. You have more piece on the board compared to your opponent.
6. Your mouth sharp grin

Chess is also a strategic game, probably more strategic because of the numerous books and heirachy of officers (it is more realistic).

Chess have too many strategies Sha. Chess is famous and more recognized internationally.

Chess rules are uniform almost all parts of the world But draught rules are not the same. E.g. American checkers is different from British draughts, Australia etc.

I totally agree with you sir grin
Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Localemperor: 8:14pm On Oct 25, 2020
DICKstractor:

Cool... I'm getting one soon but don't know how to play
learning the moves is not the problem, the problem is the technicality involved, attacking and defending your territories, making sacrifices,making choices and decision. wrong decision might lead to the death of a lot of people... Just imagine making decisions for a lot people which lead to their death when you make the wrong choice.

Without Timer, a single game might take the whole day. the game will drain you grin
Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by DICKstractor: 10:50pm On Oct 25, 2020
Localemperor:
learning the moves is not the problem, the problem is the technicality involved, attacking and defending your territories, making sacrifices,making choices and decision. wrong decision might lead to the death of a lot of people... Just imagine making decisions for a lot people which lead to their death when you make the wrong choice.

Without Timer, a single game might take the whole day. the game will drain you grin
Lol... I love technical game. I know I'll get it later on
Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Localemperor: 7:31am On Oct 26, 2020
DICKstractor:
Lol... I love technical game. I know I'll get it later on
OK Good luck
Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Kobicove(m): 6:49pm On Oct 26, 2020
pocohantas:

Chess is draught 10.0 grin grin

Ogogoro people play draught.
Hennessy people play chess.

*runs out*

grin
Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by SpeciMental: 8:57am On Nov 02, 2020
@pocohantas(thought that was Pocahontas?), whoever made that statement made a very baseless and ignorant comment. Like wtf, how can you even compare the strength of a male lion to that of a female? He's twice as strong. He alone would bring down prey five females would work together to do. He just leaves hunting to the females except greater strength is needed and lazes around a lot. You must have heard of the lion's share. Well that's because when they bring in game, He gets his portion first before any of the females or else whoever stands in his way could get killed. Tell your friend to get his facts right.
And the pride doesn't end when the male is killed, it's simply the end of that male's dynasty and the beginning of the new male's. No animal hunts lions.

As for y'all on this thread who like the knight, y'all obviously haven't played very advanced chess. A knight though able to jump over pieces can be so easily caged by a good player. Asides the queen, the next strongest piece on the board is the rook. Two rooks in tandem, can do what no other two pieces can do, they can all by themselves and from way across board, paralyse, hunt and kill a queen while defending each other but then again that's by a very good player as well as easily checkmate a king when all other pieces are out. Knight and bishop can compete for next.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Ibunkun1(m): 1:05pm On Nov 02, 2020
Igbosmoker:

Yes o
Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Najdorf: 2:47pm On Nov 02, 2020
SpeciMental:
@pocohantas(thought that was Pocahontas?), whoever made that statement made a very baseless and ignorant comment. Like wtf, how can you even compare the strength of a male lion to that of a female? He's twice as strong. He alone would bring down prey five females would work together to do. He just leaves hunting to the females except greater strength is needed and lazes around a lot. You must have heard of the lion's share. Well that's because when they bring in game, He gets his portion first before any of the females or else whoever stands in his way could get killed. Tell your friend to get his facts right.
And the pride doesn't end when the male is killed, it's simply the end of that male's dynasty and the beginning of the new male's. No animal hunts lions.

As for y'all on this thread who like the knight, y'all obviously haven't played very advanced chess. A knight though able to jump over pieces can be so easily caged by a good player. Asides the queen, the next strongest piece on the board is the rook. Two rooks in tandem, can do what no other two pieces can do, they can all by themselves and from way across board, paralyse, hunt and kill a queen while defending each other but then again that's by a very good player as well as easily checkmate a king when all other pieces are out. Knight and bishop can compete for next.

Read the title again. It says favorite piece not the most powerful.

Besides that, how I know good players is when they appreciate and can maximize the potential of all their pieces on the board. Not just rook and queen lol.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by Nobody: 3:01pm On Nov 02, 2020
Ibunkun1:

Yes o
send your number
Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by RuggedSniper: 1:50pm On Nov 08, 2020
pocohantas:

Chess is draught 10.0 grin grin

Ogogoro people play draught.
Hennessy people play chess.

*runs out*
OMG!... These are below the belt jabs my querida. What an analogy!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by addictiv(m): 8:12pm On Nov 08, 2020
My favorite are Knight > Queen > Rook> Pawn

knight : you never see him coming,
Queen: A beauty to behold , ruthless and leaves destruction in her wake
Rook: A friend you can always count on to hold the fort .
Pawn: I also love my pawns , they may be easily dispensible on the frontlines but have so much potential when used strategically.

One thing i love about chess is it tells you a lot about your opponents personality. Their character, attitudes, antecedents, temperament etc all can be deduced from a game of chess.

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Favourite Chess Piece And Why? by xxxXXXxxx: 4:11pm On Nov 09, 2020
Interesting!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Super Eagles In The African Cup Of Nations (Egypt 2006) / 95% Income | Free $100 To Stake | BBM Channel C00465A92 / Coronavirus: Nigeria Women League Cancelled

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.