Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,355 members, 7,819,259 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:27 PM

Debunking Car Myths - Car Talk (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Debunking Car Myths (35454 Views)

Are Nitrogen-filled Tires Better For Your Car? Debunking The Myth / Fixing Car Yourself Will Void The Car Warranty? - 12 Car Myths Debunked / Myths Or Facts: Are Car Fires Work Of The Village People Or Just Carelessness? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Debunking Car Myths by CelestialSmash: 8:34am On Oct 28, 2020
Peppermintflav:
Myth
Bugatti is the fastest 0-60mph car in the world.

Fact
There are cars faster than Bugatti. One is even an Electric car.

(1) Dodge Challenger SRT Demon - 0-60 2.1 seconds

(2) Tesla Model S Performance w/ Ludicrous mode -0-60 2.3 seconds

I've literally never heard anyone say that. Bugatti makes grand tourers for top speed, not 0-60. With that in mind, a Chiron still does 0-60 in like 2.6 seconds and the quarter mile in less than 10s. The thing is, at that point, the Chiron is just getting started, since it'll go on to do over 270 MPH, which none of those cars you listed can even dream of.

1 Like

Re: Debunking Car Myths by CelestialSmash: 8:38am On Oct 28, 2020
Philadelphia:

This was the thread below:

Then Ishilove responded thus:

Obviously, you can clearly see here that ishilove was referencing the contemporary Pontiac that we see in Nigeria today.
Thus, the reason I affirmed and still affirm that "Pontiac is never a speed demon". Below was my exact message:

Thereafter, one omo grandpa that was born before Queen Elizabeth started quoting ancient history.

From my quote, I used the verb "is" in its present tense not "was" as past tense as in "Pontiac is never a speed demon".
That's why I referenced modern cars and affirmed that the model mentioned by the omo grandpa is no longer in production. But grandpa wan prove invalid point and werey wey dey disguise cannot understand.

Simple English grammar o.

Fair enough, mate.
Re: Debunking Car Myths by CelestialSmash: 8:51am On Oct 28, 2020
Myth: American cars like the Camaro or Mustang are expensive, exotic cars.

Fact: False.

American performance cars have traditionally been about value for money. As much horsepower for as cheap as possible. Usually this comes at the expense of chassis engineering, interior quality, build quality, etc. The current-gen Camaro and Corvette are an anomaly chassis-wise. The Camaro in particular keeps up with Porsche's offerings in the segment like the Cayman GT4 on the track. Excellent chassis. Interior is still crap, though.

Back to price, a brand new 4 cylinder Camaro actually costs about the same as a 4 cylinder Camry. So why is it that a 2018 Camry costs about 10m, but a dealers will try to sell a 2018 base Camaro for up to 15m?

In fact, a fully loaded 2012 Camry isn't more than 4.5m, but a 2012 Camaro V6 will be priced at 7m+?

It's a major scam in the Nigerian auto market.

Attached: Prices of brand new MSRP, Prices of used cars of the same year in similar condition.

Re: Debunking Car Myths by ZzZzzzzzzzzzzzz: 8:57am On Oct 28, 2020
amstamon:

Aahhhh!!dis life no balance o,so there's a moniker that's zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz?me just type am like freestyle o.abeg no vex .oya make I bribe u with one chilled bottle of plastic origin if u dey Lagos .ikotun .
hehehehhe I dey far away from Southwest o. But I no go mind to send my aza for the origin o grin

Good morning.
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Peppermintflav: 10:27am On Oct 28, 2020
CelestialSmash:

I've literally never heard anyone say that. Bugatti makes grand tourers for top speed, not 0-60. With that in mind, a Chiron still does 0-60 in like 2.6 seconds and the quarter mile in less than 10s. The thing is, at that point, the Chiron is just getting started, since it'll go on to do over 270 MPH, which none of those cars you listed can even dream of.
grin I know. That's why I chose my words carefully.
Re: Debunking Car Myths by babyboy4every1: 4:50pm On Oct 28, 2020
Philadelphia is 101% right. The size of the tyres will definitely affect the speedometer reading. Very
simple.

1 Like

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Nobody: 6:34pm On Oct 28, 2020
promotervickky:
The Car is very good, no need to run a ViNcheck grin

A Car is a Liability, I rather stick with Uber or Taxify

Sometimes owning a car and a house in Nigeria seems like liability.

Sometimes the cost of maintaining a house is costlier than paying rent in a flat.

Likewise owning a car to running taxis.

1 Like

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Odunayaw(m): 6:49pm On Oct 28, 2020
Naughtysite:

Sometimes owning a car and a house in Nigeria seems like liability.

Sometimes the cost of maintaining a house is costlier than paying rent in a flat.

Likewise owning a car to running taxis.
Farabale o. What kind of house are you maintaining that's costlier than rent?

4 Likes

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Eddee(m): 7:26pm On Oct 28, 2020
Did someone compare a Demon/Hellcat to a f*cking hypercar made by Bugatti named after a Greek Centaur known for well...

What do I know eh?

2 Likes

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Ekakamba: 8:13pm On Oct 28, 2020
Odunayaw:
Farabale o. What kind of house are you maintaining that's costlier than rent?

Help me ask am....

cheesy tongue
Re: Debunking Car Myths by CelestialSmash: 7:35am On Oct 29, 2020
Eddee:
Did someone compare a Demon/Hellcat to a f*cking hypercar made by Bugatti named after a Greek Centaur known for well...

What do I know eh?

The insult, bruh. angry

Bugatti makes the greatest cars on this planet, no one can tell me otherwise. Wtf, who else has the guts to put an 8.0L W16 quad-turbo engine in a car? And the interior of the car is perfectly sculpted.

Pagani comes close but they don't even make their engines, so I don't count them as a proper automaker.

3 Likes

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Eddee(m): 8:03am On Oct 29, 2020
CelestialSmash:

The insult, bruh. angry

Bugatti makes the greatest cars on this planet, no one can tell me otherwise. Wtf, who else has the guts to put an 8.0L W16 quad-turbo engine in a car? And the interior of the car is perfectly sculpted.

My brother na nairaland be dis, all man must talk grin

2 Likes

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Peppermintflav: 10:26am On Oct 29, 2020
Nobody is comparing, we are debunking myths here.
Re: Debunking Car Myths by sisqology(m): 10:13pm On Nov 02, 2020
dicksonadams:

Boss what of Honda crv?

Dunno about this
Re: Debunking Car Myths by promotervickky(m): 12:25am On Nov 03, 2020
Fools
Re: Debunking Car Myths by radautoworks: 3:32am On Nov 03, 2020
Myth missing or clogged catalytic converters so not increase fuel consumption

1 Like

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Samconcepts(m): 8:02am On Dec 03, 2020
weyreypey:

Not all.... Even at that the dashboard melts all the way with carcinogenic odours....and the reflection of the dashboard meltings is capable of blinding the driver and has led to several accidents.... So much for reliability

The 2010 camry muscle is way to go. Comes with a different engine and transmission. You can always do a releather once dashboard fails. Professionals will do a perfect job.

1 Like

Re: Debunking Car Myths by sultaan(m): 9:14am On Dec 03, 2020
Ekakamba:

Help me ask am....

cheesy tongue

I guess your house is not in one of those marshes called Lekki.
It will cost a lot more to maintain than paying rent in some other areas
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Dtruthspeaker: 10:20am On Dec 03, 2020
ivandragon:

Your analysis is better suited to acceleration where one object in motion is able to gain speed faster than another object in motion.

However, once both objects reach the same speed, then neither one can be faster than the other & whatever distance that existed between them before they reached that constant speed will also remain constant.

In essence, if a car is moving at 100km/ph & a man is somehow able to run at the same 100km/ph, the speed remains the same regardless of any other factors.

Oh sweet analysis from both of you! And I think that you are both right with your combined views. For as it is observed, smaller vehicles eg kekes, okadas, Corrollas can lurch forward easier and faster than tankers and trailers because of their smaller frames and tyres.

But it is seen that for a Corrolla to overtake a tanker at 100kph, my guy Must Clock at at least 130kph to successfully and easily do so. Eg when travelling to Lagos and you are trying to overtake those empty fuel tankers and even Containers sef, men you would know that those Houses dey Run, for it is hard especially on flat terrains or going down hill.

For Me, I just jejely wait for hlll to come cos I know say dey must lose power to climb the hill, to overtake them sweetly. cool
Re: Debunking Car Myths by peeps4u: 10:48am On Dec 03, 2020
sultaan:

I guess your house is not in one of those marshes called Lekki.
It will cost a lot more to maintain than paying rent in some other areas
And do you know the cost of rent in that same Lekki?

How would you conveniently compare cost of maintaining a house in Lekki to cost of rent in other areas? Just to prove your false claim. Why not compare for same Lekki?

Ok, why not compare cost of maintaining a house in one local town in Osun or oyo state to the cost of rent in Lekki also?
Re: Debunking Car Myths by weyreypey: 11:12am On Dec 03, 2020
Samconcepts:

The 2010 camry muscle is way to go. Comes with a different engine and transmission. You can always do a releather once dashboard fails. Professionals will do a perfect job.

2010 Toyota Camry DONT Trust
MUTHUKRISHNAN SELVARAJ, 05/26/2017
LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Many of us believe that TOYOTA is a best brand and it will run atleast for 100000 miles. I also felt the same and bought the car from a dealer earlier in 2013, a 2010 Toyota Camry. Now the miles is around 84000. I used to do my oil checks, vehicle check properly. Last month also i did there were no issues reported. All of the sudden this sunday the engine started to make noise. No rains, no animals no accident it started to behave on its own. The Check engine light and VSC light started to glow, i am shocked to see this happening. I went to TOYOTA Dealer they said this is a serious problem. A car having trouble in engine within 84000 miles I was also crazy to hear it.
I called the Toyota motors they simply state the engine is out of warranty and they cannot help on this as they provided only the warranty for 5 Years or 60000 Miles. Even though I explained the situation they are not ready to listen anymore and they simply declined the request. With no other options left i have to go back to my Toyota Dealer again now he told about 6000$ after an hour talk he reduced to 4000$. The part is coming only around 1000$ but the service charge they are asking for 3000$. The problem is with the ignition coil and when i read it in the websites there are chances that the car could have been gone uncontrol and its a risk factor for anyone to drive.
Toyota is not ready to accept this as its fault. I believe they need to value the customers and their safety. They feel after 60000 miles whatever happen to the owner they wont care. Its a bad attitude.

The review remains same.. I paid the money(4000) that I have been asked to get the car out from service shop. I stopped going to the showroom in which the service was done. Three months Later I got a compliant there is a leak in engine when I did service in another Toyota show room, I went to the dealer again who fixed my engine(ignition coil). He refused and said it is nothing to do with the service they made and said it would cost another 1000$ for fixing it. “It is worthless to spend more money on the CAMRY.”
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Dtruthspeaker: 11:21am On Dec 03, 2020
Philadelphia:

You shaa want to prove a point that is still invalid.

The Pontiac you are referring to (Firebird) is not in production and not what anyone in Nigeria ever thinks to buy. The maximum speed is even pegged at 165mph.
But even at that, the fastest Pontiac ever made; the GTO and 2009 Pontiac G8-GXP had a top speed of 175mph. Even the 2009 Pontiac G8-GXP does 0-60mph in 4.7 secs.

If you call that a speed demon, what will you call the Audi RS7 that does 0-60mph in 3.7s and gets to 202mph? Or is it the
Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat that still does 0 -60 in 3.7s and gets to 203mph?
Even the BMW M5 and Mercedes AMG continental do it slower but still faster than that Pontiac. The civic type R will chew that Pontiac and spit it out.

I still maintain that the Pontiac is never a speed demon.

Common now, we should have our own Nigerian "speed demons" in my time it was Santana/Passat, then 505 Evolution then uncle flatboot came then 190 and Vboot, then everybody kon dey speed! grin
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Dtruthspeaker: 11:32am On Dec 03, 2020
CelestialSmash:

Actually, Pontiac was an enthusiast brand and made plenty of fast cars in that time period.

Obviously a fast car in the 80's wouldn't be considered fast now.

Obviously!

But E get one jaguar wey resemble queen Eliza type when she come Lagos, wey I bin play pursue with my Audi 80 dose days because E jus enter express like dat so I bin dey plan to cuss am wen I reach E window, E b like d driver know, see take off! I no catch am, E jus dey give me road make I chop until, E reach another junction turn escape.

For my mind dis moto na my grandma mate na!
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Dtruthspeaker: 11:41am On Dec 03, 2020
CelestialSmash:
Myth: Mercedes Benz cars do not rollover in an accident.

Fact: That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

This one I confirm! 419 boys flipped their flatboots, in the 90s you would have seen them from Lagos to Owerri or Abuja to Lagos. Then, you would find all of them in ijebu-Ode Toll gate, Ore and Benin Toll gates!

Ah Benz kill people that period especially Uncle 190.

1 Like

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Dtruthspeaker: 11:48am On Dec 03, 2020
sisqology:

Dunno about this

I have seen many 1999 Crvs suffer the loss of legs but none for 2004.

But that does not mean you should abuse it!
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Peppermintflav: 9:26am On Dec 04, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

I have seen many 1999 Crvs suffer the loss of legs but none for 2004.

But that does not mean you should abuse it!
I've been driving one (1998 CRV) since 2017, the leg never pull.

1 Like

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Dtruthspeaker: 10:08am On Dec 04, 2020
Peppermintflav:

I've been driving one (1998 CRV) since 2017, the leg never pull.

That's nice and I think you must drive really well or you are not on the road with it much or both for it to have lasted this long (as if I know how long it is supposed to last grin) but I do observe that many many drivers do abuse their vehicles. I possess the 2004, 5 years running!
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Peppermintflav: 7:47pm On Dec 04, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

That's nice and I think you must drive really well or you are not on the road with it much or both for it to have lasted this long (as if I know how long it is supposed to last grin) but I do observe that many many drivers do abuse their vehicles. I possess the 2004, 5 years running!
Anytime I hear any unusual sound, I quickly run to my mechanic. That way the leg can never pull.

1 Like

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Dtruthspeaker: 10:02pm On Dec 04, 2020
Peppermintflav:

Anytime I hear any unusual sound, I quickly run to my mechanic. That way the leg can never pull.

grin that's why I said you must be taking good care of it!
Re: Debunking Car Myths by mejai(m): 10:07am On Dec 05, 2020
CelestialSmash:
Myth: Mercedes Benz cars do not rollover in an accident.

Fact: That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
https://www.nairaland.com/5221393/crash-site-jose-antonion-reyess/3#78960595
Say no more!!
A gle did wonders on that thread grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Mechanic Crushed To Death By Truck In Onitsha While Working On A Car -. Photos / How much does it cost to renew car papers in your state - 2019 / Top 7 Cars That Once Ruled Our Nigerian Roads.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.