Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,318 members, 7,836,375 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:37 AM

Debunking Car Myths - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Debunking Car Myths (35547 Views)

Are Nitrogen-filled Tires Better For Your Car? Debunking The Myth / Fixing Car Yourself Will Void The Car Warranty? - 12 Car Myths Debunked / Myths Or Facts: Are Car Fires Work Of The Village People Or Just Carelessness? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Debunking Car Myths by pocohantas(f): 9:31pm On Oct 26, 2020
Myth: Car in excellent condition, used by beautiful female banker.

Fact: It wasn’t used by any female banker. Do all your checks, make you no buy wahala.

65 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Debunking Car Myths by weyreypey: 9:36pm On Oct 26, 2020
pocohantas:

Fact: It wasn’t used by any female banker. Do all your checks, make you no buy wahala.
Very well said

3 Likes

Re: Debunking Car Myths by weyreypey: 9:37pm On Oct 26, 2020
Myth: owner wants to relocate... Hence money needed fast

False a lot of times

Fact: mostly a firesale to escape problematic vehicles

42 Likes

Re: Debunking Car Myths by olumzzz(m): 9:39pm On Oct 26, 2020
weyreypey:
Myth: Hyundai vehicles are fuel and cost efficient.

False.

Fact: heavens help you if your Hyundai vehicles develop transmission or engine issues.... Sorry will be your middle name. Devil at work
False.
I use a 2008 elantra. The engine and transmission are far cheaper than a Toyota or Honda or same year.

1 Like

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Nobody: 9:49pm On Oct 26, 2020
revealing

2 Likes

Re: Debunking Car Myths by radautoworks: 9:50pm On Oct 26, 2020
kingreign:
Myth: Mercedes Benz produces some of the most complex cars.

Toyota & Lexus Hybrid vehicles looking at them with ancestral side eyes.
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Debunking Car Myths by radautoworks: 9:51pm On Oct 26, 2020
pocohantas:

grin

1 Like

Re: Debunking Car Myths by weyreypey: 9:51pm On Oct 26, 2020
olumzzz:

False.
I use a 2008 elantra. The engine and transmission are far cheaper than a Toyota or Honda or same year.

Kashif:
Toyotas are built to last much more than Hyundais. They are a little over-priced, yes, but you have much less failures. The price of 2007 Rav4 full option will get you a Kia Sorento 2011 fully loaded. But when the parts start falling off, and electricals malfunction, you will understand. A colleague drives a brand new ix35, and after four years, he has the phone number of most of Hyundai techs at Gbagada.

I have taken time to personally compare Toyota to many other brands that are 15 years or more. My finding is that they are more durable, compared to other Japs/Koreans. Older European cars (15 to 20 years hold together), but newer ones send their owners to the mechanic workshop more often. Compare engine, transmission, AC, body work/paint, finishing, etc. The 'brand new' in Nigeria are even worse!

Are Toyotas bland? Oh yes! But, I have seen more Bleep to Toyota switches by users than the other way. The resale value is also higher than any other brand. A friend has been trying to sell his Isuzu for months, and nobody has even priced it. angry

Toyota does not use the very latest technological innovation, because it has not been tested and proven. They wait out the teething period, and that works for me too.

3 Likes

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Nobody: 9:52pm On Oct 26, 2020
Interesting read...
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Nobody: 9:53pm On Oct 26, 2020
reading...
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Farki: 9:53pm On Oct 26, 2020
weyreypey:
Myth: Toyota Camry muscle is very reliable

Fact: Toyota Camry muscle is plagued with a factory defect of oil burning on the 4 cylinder engines...

The dashboard melts on all the models and releases a noxious gas odour that could be carcinogenic.... Toyota has refused to fix this....

Corolla 2012 model is even worse, after 5 years the car becomes a mobile torture device.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Gaggii: 9:58pm On Oct 26, 2020
weyreypey:
Myth: thermostat causes overheating.... And fans should be running at all times

Fact: all engine thermostats are designed to keep the engines at a specific temperature which from Billions of dollars spent on research specified. The cooling fans are also designed to run at specific times not at all times

This system also influences the fuel economy of the car in question.

Please enlighten me more on this, my rewire adviced that my fan should run at all time because the weather abroad is cold. While here is hot. But I want to know if the running of fan all time gulps more fuel. Because I observed that my corrola consumes fuel than expected
Re: Debunking Car Myths by weyreypey: 9:59pm On Oct 26, 2020
Gaggii:

Please enlighten me more on this, my rewire adviced that my fan should run at all time because the weather abroad is cold. While here is hot. But I want to know if the running of fan all time gulps more fuel. Because I observed that my corrola consumes fuel than expected

He's useless. The car's factory settings should be retained. If thermostat is bad..buy a new one for replacement.
Cc sultaan kingreign...nurey

5 Likes

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Gaggii: 10:01pm On Oct 26, 2020
weyreypey:

He's useless. The car's factory settings should be retained. If thermostat is bad..buy a new one for replacement.
Cc sultaan kingreign...nurey

Does it affect the fuel consumption?
Re: Debunking Car Myths by KingAzubuike(f): 10:02pm On Oct 26, 2020
Someone was arguing with me the other day that Mercedes Benz is a better brand than Audi and BMW. I just couldn't bring myself low to argue with such fellow.

Model for model, year for year, I'll pick a Hyundai Genesis over a Mercedes Benz ( S klasse, A klasse and other sedan category).

Hyundai try for their Genesis Series abeg. Damn!
Re: Debunking Car Myths by birdgo: 10:03pm On Oct 26, 2020
weyreypey:
Myth: The landrover Freelander....is a reliable off-roader.... False!!

Fact: The Land Rover Freelander was released
onto the market with over 132 serious faults, all
of which were known to management as the vehicles rolled out the door.

You’d think that the people who produced this car
would be in prison. But that’s not how it works in
the motor industry.

In fact Rover 1.8 and 2.5 V6 petrol engines were
designed by Satan and assembled by monkeys.
Many Freelander owners needed new petrol en-
gines from as little as 10,000km from new. Few
engines made it to 50,000km; almost none made
it to 70,000km.

DAMN !!

4 Likes

Re: Debunking Car Myths by weyreypey: 10:04pm On Oct 26, 2020
Gaggii:

Does it affect the fuel consumption?

Yes it does both positively and negatively.... Engines are designed to operate at particular temperatures

You should never, ever remove the thermostat.

RAY: Everybody knows that it's not good for a car to run too hot. But you may not know that it's also bad for a car to run too cool.

TOM: The thermostat is just a valve that goes between the engine and the radiator. It's purpose is to keep the engine at the proper operating temperature. When the engine gets too hot, the thermostat opens up and lets the engine coolant flow through the radiator, where it cools off. When the engine is too cool, the thermostat closes and stops the coolant from flowing through the radiator, so the engine heats back up.

RAY: In the old days, shade-tree mechanics used to remove thermostats as a remedy of last resort for overheating cars. But that just covered up the problem rather than fixing it. It's sort of like taking aspirin for a broken arm. It makes the pain go away, but it doesn't solve the problem.

TOM: But taking out the thermostat can actually do quite a bit of damage on a modern car. Most cars now have computers, which constantly monitor the engine temperature and adjust things accordingly. If the computer thinks the engine is cold--and it WILL be cold without a thermostat--it'll richen the fuel mixture (increased fuel consumption). That will lead to poor mileage, carbon buildup, and eventually, a $400 repair bill for a new catalytic converter.

RAY: So leave the thermostat where it is, Lee, and find out what's really making your car overheat. Unless of course, you just want it to stay cool long enough for one last trip...to the junk yard.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Debunking Car Myths by maxiuc(m): 10:05pm On Oct 26, 2020
justiniyke29:
Myth: All toyota car are cheap to maintain and fuel efficient.

Fact: Toyota has some fuel efficient cars eg corolla, yaris and some fuel guzzlers eg sequioa and v8 4runner
sienna should be among

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Gaggii: 10:07pm On Oct 26, 2020
weyreypey:

Yes it does both positively and negatively

How do you mean positively and negatively, does make it consume more or it reduces the consumption
Re: Debunking Car Myths by weyreypey: 10:08pm On Oct 26, 2020
Gaggii:

How do you mean positively and negatively, does make it consume more or it reduces the consumption
If in factory settings...it reduces fuel consumption to ....if otherwise fuel economy reduces
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Bestinstinct(m): 10:09pm On Oct 26, 2020
pocohantas:

Once fell for this.

3 Likes

Re: Debunking Car Myths by KnightsTemplar(m): 10:10pm On Oct 26, 2020
weyreypey:

Yes it does both positively and negatively

Which one is positively and negatively, you need to be specific and try to elaborate, because alot of people are learning from this your thread.

1 Like

Re: Debunking Car Myths by weyreypey: 10:12pm On Oct 26, 2020
KnightsTemplar:

Which one is positively and negatively, you need to be specific and try to elaborate, because alot of people are learning from this your thread.
Ok.. I have answered appropriately.

1 Like

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Nobody: 10:12pm On Oct 26, 2020
weyreypey:
Mercedes Benz are fuel guzzlers....

There are versions of Mercedes Benz cars that'll beat even the Toyota Corolla in fuel efficiency.... One of them is the Mercedes Benz A klasse...

Cla250 conserves fuel better than Corolla
Re: Debunking Car Myths by emmaak2(m): 10:19pm On Oct 26, 2020
KnightsTemplar:

RUNNING YOUR FANS DIRECT WILL CONSUME MORE FUEL..
HAVE YOUR CAR CHECK,EITHER UR THERMOSTART IS BAD OR UR FAN NT BLOWING..GO TO THE ROOT CAUSE OF THE OVERHEATING RATHER THAN CUTTING CORNERS BY PULLING OUT THE THERMOSTAT

6 Likes

Re: Debunking Car Myths by WhatCanIsay(m): 10:26pm On Oct 26, 2020
This would have been more interesting and educative if it was balanced.

It's just a diss track against Toyota.

9 Likes

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Nobody: 10:31pm On Oct 26, 2020
weyreypey:

Ok.. I have answered appropriately.
You called the thermostat a valve. And talked about coolant without mentioning how thermostat works with the fan even once. This confusion is why some of us just let kazeem remove the damn thing if he wants. At least it works. We move.
Re: Debunking Car Myths by jesmond3945: 10:35pm On Oct 26, 2020
weyreypey:
Myth Camry pencillight is the next best thing you can buy with your money as a daily driver

False!

Fact: no one tells you that owning it predisposes you to serious accidents due to factory defects on the headlights like vespa light.

No one tells you that carrying three adults at the back ruins the back suspension with the krokrokro sound.

No one tells you that it has an exhaust that is always hitting the ground....

If you can live with the uninspiring interior.... can you live with others
my brother if I want to buy a car which do you suggest
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Cutiekatty: 10:35pm On Oct 26, 2020
KingAzubuike:
Someone was arguing with me the other day that Mercedes Benz is a better brand than Audi and BMW. I just couldn't bring myself low to argue with such fellow.

Fact: same owner different names

Model for model, year for year, I'll pick a Hyundai Genesis over a Mercedes Benz ( S klasse, A klasse and other sedan category).

Hyundai try for their Genesis Series abeg. Damn!
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Conner44: 10:36pm On Oct 26, 2020
maxiuc:
sienna should be among

Sienna 3.3L 3MZ-FE does not guzzle fuel.
Re: Debunking Car Myths by lexini: 10:38pm On Oct 26, 2020
isnt that motion?

weyreypey:

Yes... when you have slowed down...
Re: Debunking Car Myths by code9(m): 10:43pm On Oct 26, 2020
Myth: Volkswagen Touareg is a very problematic car. Parts are very expensive.

Fact: VW Touareg (esp 2011 upwards) is built on the same platform as Audi Q7 and Porsche Cayenne. Engine and transmission are extremely reliable and one of the best in the world (8-speed tranny). compared to cars of the same grade, parts are relatively equitable and also very durable. Note parts are shared between VW and Audi.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Toyota Corolla For Uber Was Vandalized Yesterday / Help Radiator Fan Not Working ( Problem Solved ) / Top 8 Most Fuel Efficient Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.