Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,426 members, 7,836,711 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:48 AM

Debunking Car Myths - Car Talk (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Debunking Car Myths (35557 Views)

Are Nitrogen-filled Tires Better For Your Car? Debunking The Myth / Fixing Car Yourself Will Void The Car Warranty? - 12 Car Myths Debunked / Myths Or Facts: Are Car Fires Work Of The Village People Or Just Carelessness? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Aaaaarghmed(m): 11:02am On Oct 27, 2020
obiekunie2:

i own both honda 2007 DC and a toyota camry 2007 xle and in all fairness and to the best of my experience, THAT HONDA IS WAY WAY BETTER AND SWEETER THAN THE XLE both in driving and whatever. i use the honda more than the camry but i visit the mechanic for the toyota more than the honda.

I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND THE BAD TAG ON HONDA. AND THE PARTS ARE WAY Cheaper than the xle.

the engine of the XLE is almost 370k while that of the honda is just 220k or even less!
am a honda fan but i just like the outward look of that camry muscle but the interior esp the funny looking dashboard wan make me puke.just so bland.as am talking to you now i dey make plans to get me a DC before xmas.

2 Likes

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Beorn: 11:48am On Oct 27, 2020
weyreypey:
Myth: buy a Toyota Corolla and rest easy

False!

Fact: once a Toyota Corolla is acquired you lose your rest easy... If you are not staying in a gated house... If you go out for a function... You'll notice Toyota Corolla owners pacing occasionally to check their cars....lest they become geographers like my brother up there.... "Na here I park am like this....see the key o"...

This is unlike so many other brands.... Fuel efficiency will not have any meaning once the car is stolen.... God forbid. Solutions... Local pedal locks...but thieves most of the time only loot Corolla cars... And the gbege begins...to get the correct ECU na wahala unlike other sensible cars... Well take the risk if you must but ensure you are staying in a gated house...insure the car... whatever that means in Nigeria

So, what brand of cars can you advise someone to buy which would be less troublesome and cumbersome to maintain?
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Salym(m): 11:52am On Oct 27, 2020
dadabashua1:
wow,I'm yet to see 2008 accord till date with a leg pull,not saying its not possible o,but I'm yet to see one in all my johnny walker around the country, pls send me pics of one when you have it.
I have seen one in Kano. Unfortunately, I didn't snap the car.
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Odunayaw(m): 1:12pm On Oct 27, 2020
Ishilove:

That is how they destroyed the life of my Pontiac till today. I am still seething
What is your review of the Pontiac
Re: Debunking Car Myths by dadabashua1(m): 1:51pm On Oct 27, 2020
Salym:

OK
Re: Debunking Car Myths by bilulu(m): 3:17pm On Oct 27, 2020
weyreypey:

No. Design coupled with environmental conditions plus access to original parts
I still doubt that design issue because even access to parts shouldn't stop one or cars pulling legs. I believe environment and lack of maintenance causes that.
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Kayharry(m): 4:30pm On Oct 27, 2020
Re: Debunking Car Myths by weyreypey: 4:35pm On Oct 27, 2020
Beorn:

So, what brand of cars can you advise someone to buy which would be less troublesome and cumbersome to maintain?
It depends on what you can live with
Re: Debunking Car Myths by sisqology(m): 4:36pm On Oct 27, 2020
Salym:

Evil spirit? Na him tear pass. Him own tear the whole vender. But the number is very low. I have seen quite a few
Re: Debunking Car Myths by weyreypey: 5:07pm On Oct 27, 2020
bilulu:

I still doubt that design issue because even access to parts shouldn't stop one or cars pulling legs. I believe environment and lack of maintenance causes that.
Design and Chinese clone parts
Re: Debunking Car Myths by emmyN(m): 5:15pm On Oct 27, 2020
Aaaaarghmed:
its common with accord babyboy and EOD which one be most there.do you think people would still buy it if most of their brand pull legs.do your research

EOD and DC only. Baby boy didn't have that problem.
Re: Debunking Car Myths by dicksonadams(m): 5:19pm On Oct 27, 2020
sisqology:

Evil spirit? Na him tear pass. Him own tear the whole vender. But the number is very low. I have seen quite a few

Boss what of Honda crv?
Re: Debunking Car Myths by dicksonadams(m): 5:22pm On Oct 27, 2020
Aaaaarghmed:
am a honda fan but i just like the outward look of that camry muscle but the interior esp the funny looking dashboard wan make me puke.just so bland.as am talking to you now i dey make plans to get me a DC before xmas.

But can't the dashboard be upgrade to. Say an android head unit
Re: Debunking Car Myths by emmyN(m): 5:26pm On Oct 27, 2020
Ishilove:

I dig. Unfortunately Lagos roads are terrible so it will be an uphill task avoiding gallops and potholes.

Other brands of vehicles pass through the same potholes, so why don't they pull leg like Honda?

There was a defect in the stock ball joint that makes it pack up when it gets to a particular mileage. The reason we have so many cases of "leg pull" with the Honda Accord EOD and DC is that we replace the stock with substandard aftermarket parts. If most people will use OEM parts, we will have less reports of ball joint failure with those model years.
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Ishilove: 6:03pm On Oct 27, 2020
emmyN:

There was a defect in the stock ball joint that makes it pack up when it gets to a particular mileage. The reason we have so many cases of "leg pull" with the Honda Accord EOD and DC is that we replace the stock with substandard aftermarket parts. If most people will use OEM parts, we will have less reports of ball joint failure with those model years.
And it's the consumers that pay for the defect.
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Ishilove: 6:04pm On Oct 27, 2020
Odunayaw:
What is your review of the Pontiac
Speed demon. Unfortunately the parts are very scarce in Nigeria and good workmen, even more scarce.
Re: Debunking Car Myths by emmyN(m): 6:11pm On Oct 27, 2020
Ishilove:

And it's the consumers that pay for the defect.

Indeedy. Though it's supposed to be a one-off thing. Do the right thing once and enjoy the other amazing benefits that comes with the car.
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Ibk2020: 6:39pm On Oct 27, 2020
Cupidkc:

But there are less civic on the road, any reasons for that please??

Pls I also need answer to this
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Philadelphia: 7:02pm On Oct 27, 2020
chival:

Your condescending tone is insulting. Given what I do for a living, I could school you on brands and branding. I am not in the mood for an altercation though, so I'll just wish you a good day instead.

Do you know what I do for a living?
Who asked you what you do for a living?

Before you school me, learn this first:

Brand and Model are different terms. To make it easier, I'd just let you know that Toyota and Honda are brand names while Camry and Accord are model names.
In the automotive industry, there are 3 key terms used to describe or identify a car:

1. Brand
2. Model/ model year
3. Class.

I'd school you more but first, go to the auto thread and ask about Philadelphia before you come back here to tell me what you do for a living

3 Likes

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Babadee1900(m): 7:15pm On Oct 27, 2020
emmyN:

EOD and DC only. Baby boy didn't have that problem.
Babyboy has it too.

1 Like

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Mokelu: 7:16pm On Oct 27, 2020
Philadelphia:

Do you know what I do for a living?
Who asked you what you do for a living?

Before you school me, learn this first:

Brand and Model are different terms. To make it easier, I'd just let you know that Toyota and Honda are brand names while Camry and Accord are model names.
In the automotive industry, there are 3 key terms used to describe or identify a car:

1. Brand
2. Model/ model year
3. Class.

I'd school you more but first, go to the auto thread and ask about Philadelphia before you come back here to tell me what you do for a living

E don do na
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Philadelphia: 7:26pm On Oct 27, 2020
ivandragon:

Your analysis is better suited to acceleration where one object in motion is able to gain speed faster than another object in motion.

However, once both objects reach the same speed, then neither one can be faster than the other & whatever distance that existed between them before they reached that constant speed will also remain constant.

In essence, if a car is moving at 100km/ph & a man is somehow able to run at the same 100km/ph, the speed remains the same regardless of any other factors.

I'm tired of explaining to that guy.

He will believe that a skyscraper that is 50m tall is taller than a banana tree that is 50m tall.
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Philadelphia: 7:32pm On Oct 27, 2020
Ishilove:

Speed demon. Unfortunately the parts are very scarce in Nigeria and good workmen, even more scarce.

Pontiac is never a speed demon.

Infact, it's only body-wise that it differs from Toyota.

Parts are very similar.

5 Likes

Re: Debunking Car Myths by THEGALADIMA(m): 7:37pm On Oct 27, 2020
justiniyke29:
Myth: All toyota car are cheap to maintain and fuel efficient.

Fact: Toyota has some fuel efficient cars eg corolla, yaris and some fuel guzzlers eg sequioa and v8 4runner
Also the Hilux v8 is a fuel guzzler.
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Grupo(m): 7:44pm On Oct 27, 2020
Philadelphia:

Parts are very similar.

I was surprised to hear him call Pontiac speed demon.

Pontiac vibe, for instance, is just a Toyota matrix with a different badge. Everything is the same in the two cars.

And Toyota matrix is definitely not a speed demon.

1 Like

Re: Debunking Car Myths by weyreypey: 7:47pm On Oct 27, 2020
Philadelphia:

Parts are very similar.
That's a female...

1 Like

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Ishilove: 8:39pm On Oct 27, 2020
Philadelphia:

Parts are very similar.
My vehicle is a Pontiac Bonneville, not Vibe. It is a speed demon with the nose low to the ground and the back raised. It is built for speed.

As for the parts, go to the market and ask for them, then come back and give me feed back. I am changing the ignition box and I had to import it from US because it is nowhere to be found.

I know wetin I dey talk

4 Likes

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Ishilove: 8:40pm On Oct 27, 2020
weyreypey:

That's a female...
And pray tell, what does being a female have to do with anything?
Re: Debunking Car Myths by emmyN(m): 8:42pm On Oct 27, 2020
Babadee1900:
Babyboy has it too.

Noted.
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Ishilove: 8:48pm On Oct 27, 2020
Grupo:

I was surprised to hear him call Pontiac speed demon.

Pontiac vibe, for instance, is just a Toyota matrix with a different badge. Everything is the same in the two cars.

And Toyota matrix is definitely not a speed demon.
Pontiac Vibe is not the only Pontiac product in the market. The most common in Nigeria, perhaps, but not the only product.
Re: Debunking Car Myths by weyreypey: 8:52pm On Oct 27, 2020
Ishilove:

And pray tell, what does being a female have to do with anything?
Treat with respect.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Toyota Corolla For Uber Was Vandalized Yesterday / Help Radiator Fan Not Working ( Problem Solved ) / Top 8 Most Fuel Efficient Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.