Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,530 members, 7,819,906 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:16 AM

Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses (67845 Views)

Traders Count Losses As Police Demolish Computer Village POWA Complex / Naira Scarcity: Commercial Sex Workers Count Losses, Decry Low Patronage / Water Entered Shops At The Jankara Market, Lagos, Damaged Goods. PHOTOS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by Tedpgrass: 3:44pm On Oct 23, 2020
Kizyte:
Very bad! I strongly condemn this! This does not conform with the #EndSARS protest!

Please stop the looting and destruction of private properties!

The thugs and thieves will be local.. In many of the areas..

Neighbourhood watch ops may be able to help

An opportunistic thief steals in his comfort zone. I hope some will return the loot once there's a deep change of heart

That should be the message from SM influencers, actors, musicians for Now...

#returntheloot

Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by KfashionHubb: 3:44pm On Oct 23, 2020
With the intensity of looting that transpired throughout Lagos State , be sure to see less hoodlums on the street .
Because they will definitely have become millionaires .

Only 3 apple laptops in that shoprite mall can fetch you 7m

1 Like

Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by managingpartner(f): 3:44pm On Oct 23, 2020
These looting were clearly done by thieves, agberos and what have you! Since the protest started, we never recorded any theft until the government started using thugs to fight protesters and it gave way to where we are currently.

If the government had not brought in their thugs to fight the peaceful and unharmed protesters, reverse would have been the case now.

My heart goes to all the affected shop owners, may divine help come your way in Jesus name! Amen.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by Nobody: 3:44pm On Oct 23, 2020
texazzpete:

People were probably calling you out for the folly of tying these looters to the #ENDSARS protests.

And what do you mean by ‘now have the momentum’? They looted during the Anti-SA protests. They looted during the first few days of the COVID lockdown.
They loot when they see an opportunity.

Essentially you have a huge number of poor and angry people who see lagosians that are better off than them as being part of their problem. All this because of the shameful mismanagement of state resources that could have been used to better the lives of the people.

Leave state resources abeg and don't find excuses for criminals and thieves. Even in Minnesota, U.S., during the a protest that broke out, stores were looted. Took the intervention of the national guard, that's a department of their military, to restore sanity.

When hoodlums loot, don't digress. Call a spade a spade.

Many Nigerians don't take responsibility. They blame all their failures on others.

4 Likes

Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by Bashirjaja01(m): 3:45pm On Oct 23, 2020
Shameless continue calling Buhari name time immemorial
PraiselyPraise:
I sympathize with them. It's well. Had there been Buhari daft government took the protest seriously and tackled squarely, it wouldn't have aggravated to what it has become. .

2 Likes

Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by jaxxy(m): 3:45pm On Oct 23, 2020
samunaka:

you people took Buhari for granted because he quickly succumb to your demand and proscribed SARS, you were thinking that you can intimidate him to resign, all of you are living in fool's paradise

People have always demanded Buhari resigns that’s not news. This was about endsars and maybe better governance. Endsars protests was not about Buhari resigning or regime change like the government always thinks once there’s little agitation.

Was proscribing of sars not the right thing?? Where they not a menace and disgrace to the people, society and police service?? Protesters only demanded for action beyond words and usual speeches bt ur mind and conscience listens more to the voices asking him to resign instead.

1 Like

Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by Chioma1989: 3:47pm On Oct 23, 2020
UDUJ:

Exactly.

We live in a country where if you are lucky to attain some amount of success in life like having a good job, house, cars et al you automatically attract hatred from people for no just reason.

I always advise people to pipe low once they attain certain heights in their careers and businesses. Some Nigerians are wicked and easily vent their anger and wickedness on innocent successful citizens.

1 Like

Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by Happy2020: 3:47pm On Oct 23, 2020
This whole thing will take many years for Nigeria to repair itself. I pray, I pray. Now the lives that were already hard will be harder.
People can’t work, it will now be Nigerians turning on each other to eat and for basic necessities.

2 Likes

Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by Nobody: 3:47pm On Oct 23, 2020
CookieBrown:

Nigerians never ever take responsibility for anything. It is always someone else to blame. This is what happens when you ask to disband the police. You see, just because some members of SARS are bad doesn't mean all its officers are bad. So, this is what you all have now. Total chaos!

Own up to your s*it for once. It's not the police looting and destroying, it's Nigerians. And before you switch to blame the Government ask yourself, who are the Government and what nationality are they?

The Nigerian government is total scum , from the federal, state, legislative arm's.

Theirs is the story of litter.
Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by MajohBankz: 3:48pm On Oct 23, 2020
EhisChelsea1:

It’s disheartening. In Benin on Tuesday, when Customs office was broken into, and people were helping themselves to all sort of goods. I told my friend, I can’t do this. Yes, it belongs to government but it doesn’t change the fact that this is looting. It is wrong and my conscience won’t allow me...

Right in my presence, my guy carried two bags of rice, some plastic chairs and a car battery. People were packing things with wheelbarrow, keke napep among others. Few were able to move cars... saying, “na our share of govt money”

That was when I realize that Nigeria go change for the better na future impossible tense... the mindset of the average Nigerian is messed up
That's y the country is messed up. Those in power know that poverty is the people's Achilles heel, that's y they give things out during election and people see it as their own share of spoils from government.
Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by pocohantas(f): 3:48pm On Oct 23, 2020
ThreeBlackBird:

There is nothing in the world Sanwo Olu did not do as a leader. He danced, joined protest, flew to Abuja on the behalf of protesters, set up committee. There was absolutely nothing this guy didn't do.

Eventually, protesters turned hoodlums and started setting stations on fire, robbing, extorting and carting away guns. Even if they aren't protesters, the protest was giving them the field day. He declared curfew to bring the situation under control but some idiots who thought his gestures at the beginning was wickness decided to dare the law. They smelled it that night. And guess what! They lost everything.

Sanwo Olu guy is never to be blamed for anything. Hold your influencers responsible.

Thank you!!! I get angry when I see people blaming Sanwo Olu for doing nothing or not doing enough. I have never been his fan, but that man tried!!! What else did they want from him? His head on a plate??

4 Likes

Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by chaloskyx: 3:49pm On Oct 23, 2020
WELL THAT WAS WHAT THE CURFEW WAS FOR WASNT IT OR WAS THE CURFEW TO PROTECT LIVES AND PROPERTIES CAUSE AS WE CAN SEE THAT WAS NOT AND YOU CAN THROW INSULTS ALL YOU WANT I DONT CARE
snowat:
How does curfew relates to killing protesters!!! Are you dumb

1 Like

Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by Rugaria: 3:49pm On Oct 23, 2020
snowat:
what are you saying They've being ordered not to shoot, if they now shoot at the protesters burnit their station, you guys will say they killed innocent protesters, and now that they did nothing, you said they should be there to shoot at the protesters, why are some people so daft. Hundred of people are ready to burn you alive, together with your office, you can't do anything about it, even if you are permitted to shoot, you can't kill all of them with your few bullets. After burning the station there is nothing you can do to turn off the fire. As a reasonable Human being, the only thing you can do is to leave them, you can't calm them down, just go to your children, and make sure they still have a father
Security doesn't work that way, Mr man and try to make your point without insults! Protect your barracks at all cost is different from don't shoot at protesters matching peacefully in the road or at lekki tole gate! Don't shoot organized protesters doesn't mean don't shoot at theives and hoodlums ransacking banks! Unless you are trying to find all sorts of excuses for the government

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by Oluwaseun2020(m): 3:51pm On Oct 23, 2020
Good for you all...the same rich people that have neglected the poor.. Ooin!!
Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by Nobody: 3:51pm On Oct 23, 2020

3 Likes

Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by FuckOsuPigs: 3:52pm On Oct 23, 2020
PraiselyPraise:
I sympathize with them. It's well. Had there been Buhari daft government took the protest seriously and tackled squarely, it wouldn't have aggravated to what it has become. .

So, Buhari looted their shops? Why are we like this? Y'all think anarchy breeds anything good? Hear this, after this, those people will start visiting private residences of wealthy people whether they are associated to government or not. That's what we call class conflict. The have-nots see the haves as their source of problem even when the latter worked legimately hard for their wealth.

When we were shouting for the madness to stop, y'all called us names and glaring and grunting like someone wey dey popoo for toilet.

Now ya'll can see the outcome. That's what anarchy breeds.

When Tinubu's properties and businesses were being touched, y'all hailed them and saying it serves Tinubu right. What is good for Greece is also good for Uganda.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by airoport: 3:53pm On Oct 23, 2020
snowat:
If you think the government started this or have hands in this, you are absolutely wrong.
Relax, think deeper (agreement, deception and betrayal in power play) and you will figure it out. If I spell it out for you, you won't fully appreciate what's go on!
Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by Nobody: 3:53pm On Oct 23, 2020

1 Like

Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by Queseda: 3:55pm On Oct 23, 2020
Rugaria:

They are trained to stand their ground! That's part of their training! Don't know where you guys got this impressionn that's it's right for the police to take to their heals at the slightest attack..
They should stand to get killed or open fire and get charged for extrajudicial killings? Those abroad are adequately equipped with other weapons asides live arm to withstand such attacks

1 Like

Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by Nobody: 3:56pm On Oct 23, 2020
Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by igbowoman: 3:56pm On Oct 23, 2020
Miscreants are using this opportunity to cause mayhem and that is quite unfortunate
Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by Bhol28: 3:57pm On Oct 23, 2020
Imagine,all in d name of #Endsars.
Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by Obierika(m): 3:57pm On Oct 23, 2020
Brandonx:
We live in a country where the poor sees the rich and they are reminded of their failure and would look a for a way to either defraud that rich person or bring them down.

Poor people are very malicious!

3 Likes

Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by FuckOsuPigs: 4:00pm On Oct 23, 2020
Rugaria:
The police failed this society in so many ways! They re paid to secure lives and property and not to start check points to collect toles. In moments like this, the police should never have collapsed totally! The disappearance of the police was deliberate and should be investigated. It was as if the police wanted to use such actions to teach the people some rare lessons forgetting that not everyone was even in support of the mass actions! This should be investigated!

We have seen many countries that witnessed such uprisings, the police did their job, arresting hoodlums while protecting both properties and civil protesters. But here, it seems like protests have been criminalized. Once you say no and match, you become the new enemy of the state... If the policeman can not stand firm and enforce the law during jumpy periods, such characters should not be in the police force! The Nigerian Police Force failed woefully yet again.. period!

Bros, abeg make we hear word biko. If you have a brother in the police, you would advise him to go out abi? To go and die? Haven't you seen so many police officers lynched? You want them to keep coming out to defend what exactly?

Let the owners of the mall also feel the pains of the people of Tinubu and the banks burnt to the ground. After all, we were all urging the protesters on and calling for the death of the police officers.

What is good for Greece is also good for Uganda.

3 Likes

Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by lanreSamson: 4:02pm On Oct 23, 2020
Rugaria:
The police failed this society in so many ways! They re paid to secure lives and property and not to start check points to collect toles. In moments like this, the police should never have collapsed totally! The disappearance of the police was deliberate and should be investigated. It was as if the police wanted to use such actions to teach the people some rare lessons forgetting that not everyone was even in support of the mass actions! This should be investigated!

We have seen many countries that witnessed such uprisings, the police did their job, arresting hoodlums while protecting both properties and civil protesters. But here, it seems like protests have been criminalized. Once you say no and match, you become the new enemy of the state... If the policeman can not stand firm and enforce the law during jumpy periods, such characters should not be in the police force! The Nigerian Police Force failed woefully yet again.. period!

The same police you are calling to protect you and your properties, are they not the same police you are burning their stations and beheading?

2 Likes

Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by Bhol28: 4:02pm On Oct 23, 2020
Those hailing breaking of prisons and releasing hardened criminals.The results are coming out.

2 Likes

Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by Starz825(m): 4:04pm On Oct 23, 2020
PraiselyPraise:
You are a man with wisdom...
It's pitiful but they should blame the government..

Hoodlums will be hoodlums any day any time..even if it's overseas hoodlums will do the same it's everywhere in the world...that's why we have a government but a responsible government is expected to take charge at a sensitive time like this....
The looting you see for the past few days are clearer picture of when there is no government in place

They should sue the Lagos State government for failing to protect lives and property as it's their duty to protect tax payers lives and property..
Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by Adakintroy: 4:04pm On Oct 23, 2020
If to say we put mind say him go happen to us we for no support this protest.

But because we believe say na other people and it's not our potion that's why we all were cheerimg on. Good to know it's everyone portion.

1 Like

Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by Sleekfingers: 4:07pm On Oct 23, 2020
What a pity......if na me be dem na to carry their matter give esu.....they go all die horrifically within 7days......
Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by niceadebola: 4:07pm On Oct 23, 2020
Some of us were indifferent to the #ENDSARS protest from onset not because we are blind to the astrocities of SARS or not sympathetic to the victims of their horrors. One of the few people that I support their stand on this is Seun Kuti. #Endsars is more or less like a fight between political elites and social elites - Seun was right in my opinion.We are here today because of one attitude that is common to all Nigerians - E no concern me. And in many cases we stupidly complain about a particular thing knowing fully well that nothing is working in the country. Why do we always complain about a particular thing since we know nothing is working in the country?Tell me one thing that is working in this country please?
Look at the Okada riders, bus drivers, market women etc will all patronize one way or the other. The govt sponsored thugs frustrate them and some don't seem to know their right. Why can't we include everyone in this fight I am not saying Sars affect the middle class alone but from the protest one can deduce that they are probably the major victims because of what SARS can get from them.Why not go back to the foundation of our problems why not protest against bad roads and bad governance in general? I am indifferent to the SARS protest with the following reasons:
- Sars atrocities is a product of bad governance let us end bad governance instead of SARS alone.I know we can start from somewhere and Endsars is not a bad idea. But if SARS is disbanded police atrocities wont stop just give it1 or 2 two years it will resurface again- It is a product of bad governance and there is nothing you can do if you don't stop the root causes of it.Wise people solve problem from the root cause of the problem.

I witnessed live how a very big mall was looted for more than 24 hours and no one to stop them.I smiled and cry for the owner of the mall and for the future of my country. I was seeing looting and robbery but the looters were seeing an opportunity to take what belongs to them from the corrupt system irrespective of who owns them.A neighbor heard the looters as they are walking by with looted items saying this is where people that steal our money live which is totally wrong everybody is only trying to survive here as well.I saw people of all ages both males and females looting confidently. But it is not looting to them it is taken what belongs to them using the opportunity of the curfew.

The protest has turned into a clash between the poor and the middle class/upperclass.People have been made so poor to the extent that they have lost their social values. THIS WHOLE LOOTING IS ABOUT POVERT FIGHTING BACK. THIS IS INEVITABLE LIKE I SAID TO MY FRIEND.

Let's hope things returned back to normal but poverty will surely strike back if we don't end bad governance.There is too much poverty in the land all because of bad governance. Nigeria is hopeless and helpless.

2 Likes

Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by NaMeAboki: 4:07pm On Oct 23, 2020
Now they will begin to appreciate the value of police they were chasing and killing just because of the excesses of the bad eggs among them.

The solution had always been REFORM of the police and their brutality not EndSars; you just can't throw away the baby along with the bath water - now the same youths they incited into this wanton destruction would eventually be the ones paying for this mess, through loss of direct foreign & local investments and therefore job opportunities for them.

2 Likes

Re: Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses by Nobody: 4:08pm On Oct 23, 2020
texazzpete:

Hold people like YOU responsible. You people are part of those who have held this country back.
Imagine joining to push fake news that this was caused by peaceful protesters.
Imagine you celebrating that innocent people were shot. Shooting that started at 7:30 pm as against an extended curfew time of 9pm.

I'm not celebrating and even if the curfew was 9pm, we all know protesters were never leaving before then. Would you have rather preferred the shooting at 9pm. Let me be sure if you condemn the act or the time it was perpetrated.

People like you got us into this mess and will pay dearly for it. This time, not to the government, but the peaceful people you cheer while they perpetrate crimes and cart away guns. You think you're helping Nigeria but you are part of the problem.

There is no where in the world where you can vouch for the sanity and sanctity of all protesters so spare me the emotional blackmail. I joined the protests actively for days before I couldn't take the nuisance of some of us who later joined again. They smoked even among the crowd and drank alcohol and fought. I knew it wouldn't be long before the real beast in these people is let out. I stopped going majorly because I'm allergic to smoke and almost everywhere you turned, someone was smoking. We shutdown OYSG House.

At that point, we got the government but some idiots kept pushing their luck too far and I don't want to believe you're one of them. Emotions were running and suddenly, we thought our fathers who fought but not this long and loud are fools. I was begging and engaging my colleagues and those I could that we needed to negotiate. These idiots no gree, they lost it and weren't sure what they were fighting for anymore.

Thugs hijacked the protest and I was 100% happy Sanwo Olu declared a curfew. I was all in for sanity and dialogue. You want to prove to me that all those at Lekki were non-violent people but before dawn, everywhere was on fire even as you calm soldier shoot through the night. Give us list of our heroes who died there so that we can immortalize them but no one could provide.

Don't ever tell me protesters don't get violent. When the attack police stations, they are hoodlums, when they are killed there, they are peaceful protesters. Just don't get me trigger on many things we did wrong. I'm done with the movement. We are not ready. The people aiming for destabilization far outnumber those who want a change. I'm fvcking done.

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Highest Paid MD/CEOs In Nigeria In 2021 (Photos) / Bet9ja’s Website Hacked By Russian Blackcat Group, LASG Responds / Egina FPSO: Nigeria's Biggest Oil Producing Vessel Arrives Lagos From South Kore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.