Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,919 members, 7,821,218 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:00 AM

Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela - Music/Radio (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela (20993 Views)

Nigeria �� Vs Ghana �� Which Has Better Music? Ghana �� Vs Nigeria �� / US Naval Force Performs Fela Kuti's "Water E No Get Enemy" / Meet Nigeria's Only Female Producer Who Produced Sean Tizzle's Pempe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by Coronavirus84: 11:12am On Dec 17, 2020
Many kids here on nairaland including the OP needs psychiatric evaluation. How on earth will you compare Fela songs and lagbaja songs? Any day any time Fela Anikulapo kuti remains the best

7 Likes

Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by brio1408: 11:14am On Dec 17, 2020
QuietHammer:

What do you know about poly rhythm? What do you know about bitonality?

The Poly rhythm reminds me of the "Zombie" track. Noise lacks direction but The Zombie song get correct direction no be small.
More so, It is rare to see a musician compose a song using two "bass". Only a genius can do that and that musical genius is Fela.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by Minjim: 11:14am On Dec 17, 2020
KingAzubuike:

I still don't know what people see in that fela. He fought against the government fine but his music were just meaningless. He sang alot of beautiful nonsense very meaningless lyrics
Fela's music is only meaningless to those who can not appreciate his genre.
Play me any Fela music and I'll tell u the message.

The genre that Lagbaja is know for was created and made popular by Fela..
Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by shevy878: 11:16am On Dec 17, 2020
Judolisco:
that u invented something doesn't mean ur type is d best... If not we for still dey fly plane wey Wright brothers invent or old cars made in d 1800's

So you mean Man will one day Know More, than GOD ?

1 Like

Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by toolovely(m): 11:17am On Dec 17, 2020
Any good musician will give it to Fela. I know many Yorubas who are not musically inclined will go for lagbaja because of his use of talking drums which aligned with their kind of music
Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by Kay25(m): 11:17am On Dec 17, 2020
if u ask lagbaja he would give it to fela cos he himself is picking afrobeat from him
Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by Deepsky(m): 11:19am On Dec 17, 2020
FELA is the best jarry
... Don't even know who una dey call lagbaja
Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by Truthteller2020: 11:21am On Dec 17, 2020
sylve11:

Lucky Dube to Bob Marley. embarassed cool
Bob Marley died before I was born.Pls who is better between two of them?
Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by brio1408: 11:21am On Dec 17, 2020
[quote author=naptu2 post=97154789]Brilliance, humour and logic from beautiful madness. That's one of the things I loved about him.

From "Movement Against Second Slavery" (MASS), this is Alhaji Alhaji (Stranger).

♪I♬[/quo

The Intro was dope.

He be like Robbery
Soldiers no be president.
Armed robbers go come ur house
chop all your foods
Bleep all your wives
take all your money
Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by Liposure: 11:22am On Dec 17, 2020
shevy878:
shocked The Poster is an OLODO, perhaps an Indomine Generation .
What type of Music does Lagbaja Sings ? Ans= Afro Beat.
Who is the Originator of Afro Beat ? Ans= Fela Kuti.

Comparing Fela & Lagbaja is like You saying the Student is More brilliant than the School.
i heard its orlando owo

1 Like

Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by Jason0147: 11:23am On Dec 17, 2020
NewDelhi:
I'll give it to lagbaja. His music are more captivating, better beats and rhymes to put you in a dance mood. Even if you no dance you go dey shake head.

Give fela 10 mins to sing a song, he will use the first 5 mins for rythymless beats, 2 mins for lyrics wey no get meaning and the last 3 mins for another round of rhythmeless beats.

Lagbaja was way better in my opinion.
Op you must be high on something to have compared the legendary Fela of Africa with Lagbaja. Can you compare Lagbaja with the likes of Michael Jackson or Bob Marley? Before Fela there was no Afro beat, Fela was the inventor, discoverer, Founder and composer of Afro beat. His shoes are to big for Lagbaja to even lace. Don't know what's wrong with all this indomie children.
Even the Whites appreciates Fela music that's why they use his music in their movies.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by solonubinho(m): 11:24am On Dec 17, 2020
Don't ever compare the two abeg.
Wetin Fela sing? Fela was just a weed smoking noise maker. No lyrics, no message, just useless and unnecessary repetition of meaningless words.
Lagbaja any day anytime.

Like you're moniker, you're a Nobody.
Lagbaja gave us good music. But Fela invented a new kind of sound. It's like comparing Maradona to Mbappe.

2 Likes

Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by naptu2: 11:25am On Dec 17, 2020
One day go be one day!
One day go be one day!
Those wey dey steal the money for government,
One day go be one day!

Fela Anikulapo-Kuti - Army Arrangement (1984).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ouQTAaxHc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by naptu2: 11:27am On Dec 17, 2020
naptu2:
I always listened to this song in full in the 1970s and '80s, but in the 2000s many people often chopped up the song into bits. Thankfully, with YouTube's new licensing system, there's an official Fela page and I can show you what I want you to hear.

You don't even need to listen to the whole song. I would like you to listen from the beginning, but my main aim is to get you to listen to the drum solo at the 2:05 minute mark. Please listen to that drum solo. Please, please listen to that drum solo. It'll also be nice if you listen from the beginning, so that you can get the context, but please listen to the drum solo.

Fela Anikulapo-Kuti - Open and Close (1971).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en88_IEcQwU

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by brio1408: 11:28am On Dec 17, 2020
Liposure:
i heard its orlando owo
I heard it was Orlando Julius. He was the Original composer of I feel good by James Brown.
Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by xjiggy: 11:28am On Dec 17, 2020
Dem born Lizard for water no make am Crocodile. Why compare Abami eda with Lagbaja
Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by yesloaded: 11:28am On Dec 17, 2020
NewDelhi:
I'll give it to lagbaja. His music are more captivating, better beats and rhymes to put you in a dance mood. Even if you no dance you go dey shake head.

Give fela 10 mins to sing a song, he will use the first 5 mins for rythymless beats, 2 mins for lyrics wey no get meaning and the last 3 mins for another round of rhythmeless beats.

Lagbaja is a good musician anytime any day but comparing fela with lagbaja is nothing but huge joke

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by jsnow(m): 11:29am On Dec 17, 2020
Fela all d way. Fela music get meaning pass lagbaja, they no b mate.fela nonsense dey make sense if u open ur ear well

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by yesloaded: 11:30am On Dec 17, 2020
Jason0147:

Op you must be high on something to have compared the legendary Fela of Africa with Lagbaja. Can you compare Lagbaja with the likes of Michael Jackson or Bob Marley? Before Fela there was no Afro beat, Fela was the inventor, discoverer, Founder and composer of Afro beat. His shoes are to big for Lagbaja to even lace. Don't know what's wrong with all this indomie children.
Even the Whites appreciates Fela music that's why they use his music in their movies.

Forgive op, maybe he's in his early 20s

Who knows grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by Ihatemumu: 11:32am On Dec 17, 2020
Wetin Fela sing? Fela was just a weed smoking noise maker. No lyrics, no message, just useless and unnecessary repetition of meaningless words.
Lagbaja any day anytime.
Mr Nobody
Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by naptu2: 11:34am On Dec 17, 2020
naptu2:
Poem by Maya Angelou, chords, singing and beats by Fela Anikulapo-Kuti and beats and horns by Buckshot LeFonque.

Buckshot LeFonque - I Know Why The Cage Bird Sings (1994).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlyv9CobmA8

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by Liposure: 11:39am On Dec 17, 2020
brio1408:

I heard it was Orlando Julius.
He was the Original composer of I feel good by James Brown.
my mistake. That james brown song was da bomb. I listen to it growing up
Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by Chukwudubem0: 11:40am On Dec 17, 2020
Non
Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by naptu2: 11:40am On Dec 17, 2020
naptu2:
Lauryn Hill just sampled Fela. The guitar riff was from Army Arrangement. The trumpet was from another of Fela's songs, but I can't remember which right now. The dancing girls are DEFINITELY Fela.

naptu2:
Lauryn Hill on stage. Mashup of her song Lost One and Fela Anikulapo-Kuti's Zombie. (This isn't the award show that I watched last year. It's another performance).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeG4o5x4B2Y

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by benji93: 11:40am On Dec 17, 2020
You no get sense. cheesy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIRXNA3Eofs
You better stick to your Davido with the frog voice. Meanwhile enjoy correct music above. Even without the song itself, the arrangement no be small thing.
NewDelhi:

2 Likes

Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by zcee: 11:41am On Dec 17, 2020
God!!,Do you really know fela very well
You can't compare the duo abeg..
Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by naptu2: 11:42am On Dec 17, 2020
naptu2:

17) Fela Anikulapo-Kuti ft Ginger Baker – Live! (1971)

Ginger Baker is an English drummer and founder of the rock band Cream. He spent a lot of time in Nigeria in the 1970s, recording and studying African music and he became a good friend of Fela Anikulapo-Kuti. You can see some videos of his interactions with Fela on YouTube. They are taken from his documentary Ginger Baker in Africa.
He was instrumental in settling the rift between Fela Anikulapo-Kuti and Paul McCartney. Paul McCartney was bored with recording in the UK and so he decided to record his album “Band On The Run” at EMI studios in Apapa, Lagos in 1973. (You can read about everything that happened during McCartney’s visit on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/1387857/foreign-local-musical-tributes-nigeria ) . McCartney went to watch Fela play at the Shrine, but Fela confronted him and accused him of coming to exploit and steal African music.

Fela had good reason to be concerned. James Brown toured Nigeria in 1970. Fela’s legendary drummer, Tony Allen claims that James Brown sent his arranger, David Mathews, to check him out and that David Mathews took notes about how he played. James Brown’s bassist, William “Bootsy” Collins said that they went to Fela’s club (the Shrine) in Lagos and they were amazed by what they saw.
“I mean, this is the James Brown band, but we were totally wiped out! That is one trip I wouldn’t trade for anything in the world”.
In another interview he said, “I thought THEY were the greatest, period. Even before I got into the James Brown band, the James Brown band was number one to me. But once I got there and saw Fela and them, then I had second thoughts about it. . .when I heard these cats, it was like another dimension. . .a deeper feel to me. . .it was like, ‘Man, this is IT. We gotta try to be like this!” [laughs] (read more here http://afrofunkforum..com.ng/2006/04/felajames-brown-connection.html?m=1)

So Fela thought that Paul McCartney had also come to steal African music without giving anything back or crediting the source of the music. Fela also went to EMI studios to confront McCartney. Everything was resolved when McCartney and his group played their music for Fela so that he could hear that there wasn’t any African influence in it. Ginger Baker was also able to bring them together and he also invited McCartney to record at his studio in Ikeja.

Tony Allen is probably the most famous former member of Fela’s band. Fela writes the music for his band and all the members of the band must play what he has written. Dele Sosimi (former keyboardist for both Fela and Femi) gave an example in a BBC interview in the early 2000s. He said that they would be rehearsing and Fela would suddenly stop the band. “Who’s that?” he would shout and when he has identified the person that played the offending note, he would order the manager to deduct two weeks wages from the person’s salary. They must always play what Fela has written.

However, it was very different with Tony Allen. Fela would compose the melody and bring it to Tony Allen and ask him, “What can you play to this melody?” and Tony Allen would play something and Fela would go, “Yeah! Yeah! That’s it!” Tony Allen was not just the drummer of Africa 70, he was also the musical director of the band.

Some of my friends who were drummers have nicknamed Tony Allen “the Octopus” because they say that he drums with his hands, elbows and feet, as if he has eight limbs.

In 1978 Fela married 27 women at a go. He also set up a political party called Movement of The People, in order to contest in the 1979 Nigerian presidential elections. Tony Allen said that he also noticed that a lot of strange people started hanging around Fela. He decided that Fela was no longer serious and left the band. Fela had to hire two drummers to play the rhythms that Tony Allen singlehandedly played. Tony Allen has lived in Paris, France for a long time and he records and plays music over there.

There is a track on this album called Drum Solo. It is like a drum battle between Ginger Baker and Tony Allen. Ginger Baker is drumming in the European style while Tony Allen is drumming in the African style. It’s my favourite track on the album.

The first video is of the whole album, so only watch it if you have enough data. The second video is of Drum Solo, the battle between Tony Allen and Ginger Baker.

Fela Anikulapo-Kuti and Ginger Baker – Live! (full album)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20UbO62UJUg

Tony Allen vs. Ginger Baker (Drum Solo) part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIawMBojgvI

Tony Allen vs. Ginger Baker (Drum Solo) part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAeu9LJQDr4

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by Innomama7(m): 11:47am On Dec 17, 2020
Lagbaja any day anytime.
small boy you know nothing

2 Likes

Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by naptu2: 11:49am On Dec 17, 2020
naptu2:
I was looking for a very famous old video of Fela addressing people on the streets of Lagos, but I haven't been able to find it yet. Guess what I found instead?

I have been searching for this song for a long time and I resumed searching for it earlier this year but I had no luck.

She actually personally got permission from Fela in order to do this song and this was her very first hit.

You can (of course) here the bass and horns of Fela's "Look and Laugh" on the track. There's a part of the song in which she complained that the exchange rate was 120 naira to a pound.

Weird MC - Allen Avenue (1996).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0k4zzC0xE4

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by stayclearofme: 11:50am On Dec 17, 2020
KingAzubuike:

I still don't know what people see in that fela. He fought against the government fine but his music were just meaningless. He sang alot of beautiful nonsense very meaningless lyrics
Really? I can't imagine this comment! Felas music meaningless shocked shocked... Anyway Fela's music is for the matured mind.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by Yankee101: 11:51am On Dec 17, 2020
It's like asking if the best student in a university is more important than the founder of the university.

There is no basis for comparison

You can, maybe oh, compare Lagbaja and Burna boy. Even that is a maybe. Because Lagbaja will become the best student and burna boy the current most popular student by category.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Nigerian Funk And Pop Songs Of The 1970s, '80s and 1990s / Tonto Dikeh Ft Dbanj - Sugar Rush (official Video) / Burna Boy, Tems And Rema To Headline NBA All-Star Game Half Time Show

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.