Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,640 members, 7,813,143 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:45 AM

Muslims Attacked In Nsukka, Mosques Burnt By Mob In Enugu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Muslims Attacked In Nsukka, Mosques Burnt By Mob In Enugu (48814 Views)

Sit-At-Home Enforcer Burnt Alive By Mob In Anambra (Graphic Photos) / Airman Killed By Mob In Oshodi. Many Stranded As Soldiers ‘Take Over’ / ENDSARS: Muslims Attacked, Mosque Burnt Down In The Southeast & South South (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Muslims Attacked In Nsukka, Mosques Burnt By Mob In Enugu by Yaronkirki: 2:10pm On Nov 02, 2020
Mosques Destroyed, Shops Burgled As Mob Attacks Nsukka Muslim Communities

The altercation is said to have started when a Muslim woman selling tomato took Keke Napep from a village market to her shop in the town and argument ensued between her and the driver over her transport fare.

The disagreement is reported to have generated to destruction and burning of properties belonging to Muslims in the area by the host communities that later deteriorated to burning of two mosques in the town.

Speaking to BBC Hausa on Monday, one of the leaders of northerners in the area, Muhammad Adam Yusuf said, “Most of us northerners are now in hiding in police custody, while many have already travelled to their states.

“Most shops belonging to our people including mine have been burgled and our wares carted away. Many have been wounded though none is reported dead so far.

“In fact, more than 90% of Hausas have emigrated, the few of us are now hiding in police custody,” Yusuf said.

The leader of Nsukka Muslim community, Alhaji Sani Ugwuanyi also told BBC Hausa that, “The two mosques, one for daily congregational prayers and the other one which is the central mosque here have both been destroyed.

“The entire structure of the first mosque has been completely destructed while the central mosque has been burnt down.

“There is also another Islamiyyah and Primary School that was also destructed,” he lamented.

When contacted, the state’s Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Daniel Ndukwe said the force was not aware of the attacks but promised to investigate it.

Meanwhile, the Nigerian Islamic human rights group, Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC), has condemned the attacks on Muslims in Igboland.

MURIC in a statement issued on Monday by its Director, Professor Ishaq Akintola called for a halt to the burning of mosques in the South East and South South.

The organization also appealed to the Inspector General of Police to protect Muslims as well as their corporate and individual properties in the region.

The statement said, “Two mosques were set ablaze by the Igbo in Enugu on Saturday, 31st October, 2020.

“The Islamic School, Afikpo, Ebonyi State has also received threats of impending invasion. It will be recalled that 11 (eleven) Muslims were killed during the #EndSARS protests in Port Harcourt and Orlu while the Orlu Central Mosque was completely destroyed barely two weeks ago.

“Markets belonging to Muslims in the region were also attacked and properties worth millions of naira were destroyed, including whole trailers with the goods.

MURIC also alleged that the only Islamic school in the whole Eastern Nigeria located in Afikpo, Ebonyi State, is under palpable and severe threat of attack.

“The school management has received about three threat messages in the past one week alone. Attack on the school is imminent and the state government has not uttered a word.”

The Muslim rights group also remind the governors of Eastern and South-South states as the chief security officers in their respective states of their responsibility to protect all citizens under them.

Daily Trust reports that the Muslim community in the region who are mostly northerners alleged that more than 40 of them have been killed and property worth billions of naira have been lost including burning of over 30 trucks and 12 other vehicles in the aftermath of #EndSARS protest in various parts of South-South and South-Eastern Nigeria.

https://dailytrust.com/2-mosques-destroyed-shops-burgled-as-in-mob-attacks-on-nsukka-muslim-communities

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Muslims Attacked In Nsukka, Mosques Burnt By Mob In Enugu by limeta(f): 2:14pm On Nov 02, 2020
Watin make we do

24 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Muslims Attacked In Nsukka, Mosques Burnt By Mob In Enugu by TossTos: 2:16pm On Nov 02, 2020
See as small matter turned big
Wey one for calm and let peace reign .
Ontop of how much self

what I was told caused it

an hausa man stabbed the innocent Keke driver first, leaving him in the pool of his blood. This propagated the reprisal anger in the neighborhood which eventually escalated the issue. Igbos are not wild to start mayhem for an unjust cause as BBC Hausa is trying to portray.
Let the police set in and arrest both the Hausa man that stabbed someone and the igbos that resorted to destruction of properties. Let everywhere be tamed. We should always try not to be overwhelmed by unnecessary anger.

AND THIS ....

The hausa woman called her kinsmen
They came and stabbed the keke driver.
Thats when violence started.

238 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Muslims Attacked In Nsukka, Mosques Burnt By Mob In Enugu by Fulmigati: 2:21pm On Nov 02, 2020
Northerners just dey patient, dey wait make Buhari comot power to start their own craze. grin

97 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Muslims Attacked In Nsukka, Mosques Burnt By Mob In Enugu by Xscape1993(m): 2:21pm On Nov 02, 2020
Why are we always looking for tribal war in Nigeria? Can we preach for peace?

47 Likes

Re: Muslims Attacked In Nsukka, Mosques Burnt By Mob In Enugu by Seerade029: 2:22pm On Nov 02, 2020
Fulmigati:
Northerners just dey patient, dey wait make Buhari comot power to start their own craze. grin

I observed it also, but we shouldn't encourage violence

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Muslims Attacked In Nsukka, Mosques Burnt By Mob In Enugu by Seerade029: 2:23pm On Nov 02, 2020
Arrewa:
Ok

I know as you typed OK, your blood is already hot.
You see we shouldn't encourage violence.
Either from your side or in the south.

81 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Muslims Attacked In Nsukka, Mosques Burnt By Mob In Enugu by Fulmigati: 2:24pm On Nov 02, 2020
Seerade029:

I observed it also, but we shouldn't encourage violence

Not encouraging violence, it is a statement of fact.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Muslims Attacked In Nsukka, Mosques Burnt By Mob In Enugu by KoleDgreat2020(m): 2:26pm On Nov 02, 2020
This is very bad...

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Muslims Attacked In Nsukka, Mosques Burnt By Mob In Enugu by positivelord: 2:26pm On Nov 02, 2020
Re: Muslims Attacked In Nsukka, Mosques Burnt By Mob In Enugu by Waitforit: 2:27pm On Nov 02, 2020
The end is here

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Muslims Attacked In Nsukka, Mosques Burnt By Mob In Enugu by Uteghe(m): 2:33pm On Nov 02, 2020
Nnamdi Kanu is doing his level best to instigate killing of Igbos in the north.

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Muslims Attacked In Nsukka, Mosques Burnt By Mob In Enugu by xtgozie(m): 2:33pm On Nov 02, 2020
I went two a unity school, diverse culture, religion, tribes were blended in us. I'm Igbo a Christian, my best friends that I can trust were friends I made in secondary school, the are Muslims, Christians, Eckists, Yoruba ijaw, igbo, Muslims.

the problem from the beginning wasn't any of the above mentioned, the problem is the greed and selfish ambitions of our politicians

102 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Muslims Attacked In Nsukka, Mosques Burnt By Mob In Enugu by raymexx: 2:35pm On Nov 02, 2020
Idiotic Op
you narrated the one that suites your biased mind.
you failed to mention what triggered the whole matter.
you also failed to tell us that a Hausa/Fulani man brutally stabbed a keke driver in a mere argument.

240 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Muslims Attacked In Nsukka, Mosques Burnt By Mob In Enugu by Nobody: 2:41pm On Nov 02, 2020
2020 should just end already undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Muslims Attacked In Nsukka, Mosques Burnt By Mob In Enugu by Dext13: 2:41pm On Nov 02, 2020
TossTos:
Ontop of how much self

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Muslims Attacked In Nsukka, Mosques Burnt By Mob In Enugu by Xisnin(m): 2:41pm On Nov 02, 2020
This is sad. The perpetrators should have been arrested but the police are on partial strike.

1 Like

Re: Muslims Attacked In Nsukka, Mosques Burnt By Mob In Enugu by ishowdotgmail(m): 2:41pm On Nov 02, 2020
Just like the Arewa, Igbos are criminal minded too and brutal. Burning and looting wares.

Hungry mofos

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Muslims Attacked In Nsukka, Mosques Burnt By Mob In Enugu by sofiscatedmoron: 2:41pm On Nov 02, 2020
Live and let live, be your brothers keeper

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Muslims Attacked In Nsukka, Mosques Burnt By Mob In Enugu by flejnr(f): 2:42pm On Nov 02, 2020
That ophius boy will not report this kind one, if it is to promote that stall governor he will rush

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Muslims Attacked In Nsukka, Mosques Burnt By Mob In Enugu by Depressed101: 2:42pm On Nov 02, 2020
TossTos:
Ontop of how much self
i swear. Violence is a silly reply to violence. History has taught us that violence doesn't solve problems, it creates it. When my people go learn

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Muslims Attacked In Nsukka, Mosques Burnt By Mob In Enugu by JoeEeL(m): 2:42pm On Nov 02, 2020
Sh*t taking another dimension.

Let this country divide pls. Unity between Islamic extremists and Christian extremists is a ticking timebomb. It's like saying Pakistan and China should share the same country. IT WILL NEVER WORK

But think about it, churches have been destroyed in the North for so long but everyone keeps silent, making it seem that only Northern muslims have the monopoly of sense-craze. Now SE xtians are paying in the same coin, expect another round of soldiers to be invited to kill their own people.

Like a crater, a spectacular collapse of this zoo is at hand but lemme quickly chip in this, South Eastern governors are the most useless. Followed by my SW.

(Edited: SS governors are more useless than SW governors)

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Muslims Attacked In Nsukka, Mosques Burnt By Mob In Enugu by SenatePresdo(m): 2:43pm On Nov 02, 2020
The hatred and tension have always been there Since 1914.
It shows that we can never be one after staying together for over 100 years and counting.

Nigeria should be divided for peace to regin, a failed marriage is a failed marriage.
Staying together would only result to more violence from both sides.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Muslims Attacked In Nsukka, Mosques Burnt By Mob In Enugu by Patrickyemi: 2:43pm On Nov 02, 2020
Just look at what u ppl are doing here nd later u will say u are a graduate..
Re: Muslims Attacked In Nsukka, Mosques Burnt By Mob In Enugu by HAPPINESSSS(f): 2:43pm On Nov 02, 2020
HAPPINESS IS HERE grin

I HOPE ROOMS WILL BE GIVEN FOR THOROUGH INVESTIGATION,

THE HAUSA'S HAVE SPOKEN, LETS HEAR FROM IGBOS,

THE IGBOS ARE NOT THAT DUMP TO JUST START BURNING SHOPS AND MOSQUES BECAUSE OF FARE ARGUMENT.

ALSO LETS EMBRACE PEACE VOILENCE IS NEVER THE BEST WAY TO SOLVE ANY ISSUES.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Muslims Attacked In Nsukka, Mosques Burnt By Mob In Enugu by AuntyAda1(f): 2:43pm On Nov 02, 2020
I just hope Nigeria' will not slip into war soon with all Tue recent happenings. angry

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Jonathan To Buhari, I Am Ready For Probe. / 10 Nigerian Governors At War With Their Predecessors / Atiku Narrowly Wins Edo State With 7849 Votes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.