Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,785 members, 7,820,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:53 PM

Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) (14697 Views)

Aerial View Of Peter Obi Presidential Campaign Rally In Lagos (Pics, Video) / Borno State Catching Up With Fantastically Corrupt Oil Rich Delta And Bayelsa / Nemesis Catching Up With Tinubu – Bode George (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by Mayehunta991: 5:20pm On Nov 09, 2020
Fabulousl0l:

There is so much hate in you
You sure you're Igbo?

Yes I'm Igbo and schooled in Igboland. I hate when my people feel like there's anything in the east.
Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by XANDERO85: 8:39pm On Nov 09, 2020
ChimaAdeoye:

Thank you my brother! Please continue to point it out. It is so heartbreaking that our people are so determined to remain in stone-age and continue building sh*thole cities, instead of copying proper functional cities outside Nigeria.

It is often so shocking when i hear Nigerians copying crap within Nigeria, especially Lagos ! ....instead of trying to improve Nigeria.

In this generation, i have observed even Accra modernize itself and they are copying standard cities in the world not Nigeria or Lagos.

I wonder if things will ever improve in this generation when even the mistakes of the past are being copied by the present generation as "standard". Abuja is the only decent city in Nigeria. Instead of Nigerians thinking how to replicate the standard elsewhere, it is the chaos, slums, poor sanitation that they'd prefer to copy as "development".

In South Africa, I don't want to compare Johannesburg, Pretoria or Cape Town to Nigerian cities. Even their second and third Tier cities as Durban, Port Elizabeth, Bloemfontein, Polokwane are better than Lagos or any Nigerian city. Yet, we copy Lagos as the "standard" in building new cities? Who did this to the brain of black Africans?

It truly appears that Lagos is "abroad" to many Igbos, who actually believe there is nothing better that Nigerians can build.

Was watching some recent clips of Abuja hoods, and if i’m to be honest, parts of it eclipsed some of the cities you listed like Accra!

I’ll concede though that South Africa cities are in another league altogether! With the exception of North African and South African cities, i reckon Abuja neighbourhoods (just neighbourhoods and not downtown/business-districts) beat those of other sub-saharan African cities!
Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by Rosskivvy: 8:50pm On Nov 09, 2020
XANDERO85:

Was watching some recent clips of Abuja hoods, and if i’m to be honest, parts of it eclipsed some of the cities you listed like Accra!

I’ll concede though that South Africa cities are in another league altogether! With the exception of North African and South African cities, i reckon Abuja neighbourhoods (just neighbourhoods and not downtown/business-districts) beat those of other sub-saharan African cities!

Accra has no business on that list. But to 'ChimaAdeoye'' even Freetown, Sierra Leone and Cotonou are better than anywhere in Nigeria. His own inferiority complex is an another level.
Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by Cjrane2: 9:33pm On Nov 09, 2020
ChimaAdeoye:
[s][/s]

What a shameful post! Nigerians are inseparably tied to backwardness!

So Lagos is now standard to be copied? Yet, Nigeria rejected its capital as Lagos and built a modern capital? So why are you copying the design of the 1940s? When even in same Nigeria you have a more modern design in Abuja?

I live in the best part of Lagos. Yet, i feel like living in a slum.
I agree new cities should copy Abuja and not replicate the mistakes of Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by sherlock229(m): 10:05pm On Nov 09, 2020
post=95839781:
There are more skyscrapers in Lagos but Anambra gave Lagos edge in multistorey buildings, the numbers of six, five and four storey buildings in Anambra are far more than Lagos this is fact any body that have visited both states will confirm.

You mean those ugly looking 5 story buildings? � stop celebrating mediocrity... Only portharcourt can speak not fucking anambra
Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by ChimaAdeoye: 4:06am On Nov 10, 2020
Cjrane2:

I live in the best part of Lagos. Yet, i feel like living in a slum.
I agree new cities should copy Abuja and not replicate the mistakes of Lagos.

There is a reason why western tourists don't come to Nigeria. Instead, they go other African countries such as Ghana, Gambia, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, South Africa, Egypt etc. It is simply because of the crime ridden, filthy unplanned Sh*thole we call Lagos, A.K.A: the biggest city in Nigeria looks more like a congested, crime-ridden slum than a habitable city. I am saying this so that things will change about Nigerian cities, not out of any feeling for any particular city. We should not continue to copy and build nonsense as cities in Nigeria. Why for God's sake are they trying to copy the same sh*t in Anambra? Why not at least copy Abuja if you must copy something in Nigeria?

Just look at other commercial capitals of other third world countries such as Jakarta, Indonesia, Manila, Philippines or Bangkok, Thailand. They are distinctly well planned with pipe-borne water, electricity, good roads and good transportation systems to the different parts of the city. In Lagos, even Victoria Island that used to be the pearl of Africa in the 1980s now looks like Lagos!

4 Likes

Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by Nobody: 4:39am On Nov 10, 2020
-
Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by Anambra1stS0n: 8:08am On Nov 10, 2020
sherlock229:

You mean those ugly looking 5 story buildings? � stop celebrating mediocrity... Only portharcourt can speak not fucking anambra
An i.di.o.t that can't afford a bag of Cement

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by kmaster007: 8:12am On Nov 10, 2020
OkutaNla:
Op this is an insult to Lagos. You can celebrate your Anambla without trying to drag Lagos down. What is with you igbos and your pull it down mentality. If una no like Lagos relocate abeg.
you making sense bro. dem no fit
Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by Scout60(m): 8:36am On Nov 10, 2020
OkutaNla:
Op this is an insult to Lagos. You can celebrate your Anambla without trying to drag Lagos down. What is with you igbos and your pull it down mentality. If una no like Lagos relocate abeg.

oya take mic, tell us how many building your father or great grandfather has in lagos
Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by NigerDeltaIgbos: 9:25am On Nov 10, 2020
Sunstorm95:
Most of those 4 stories at Onitsha and Aba look substandard and will have to be refurbished or demolished when Nigeria is really ready to develop. Sucks for Onitsha and Aba , demolition would be more complex or they're stuck with 4 and 5 stories.
I actually like the fact Calabar is not populated with numerous 4 and 5 stories and is easier to demolish things and erect numerous 30 story apartments ,also lots of empty lands,simply much easier to transform. .

It's obvious you're quite ignorant about how cities evolve over time. Virtually almost all cities in the world tend to grow in "height". Cities that had high rises of say 10 storeys in the 80's are now having having average of 20 storeys dotting its skyline. Same thing applies to cities like Onitsha and Aba you want to write off. In the 80's, Aba and Onitsha had mostly bungalows & one storey's, with few 2 or 3 storeys but today, they're having an average of 4, 5 & 6 storey buildings. I bet you, if not for lack of power supply, these cities be having much taller buildings now. Even Owerri, especially the New Owerri axis now has lots of classy 4, 5 & 6 storey buildings being built in recent times.

Now, two things will happen in the near future when these cities evolve more. New and taller buildings will either be built in new areas or the existing 4, 5 or 6 storeys will still be demolished for much taller buildings. It is not impossible or that difficult to demolish.

It is economic factors that will determine future developments. Igbos are capitalists and when power supply becomes constant, no one will buy a land for say 50 to 100 million only to build 3 storey on it. That is the time developers will start building 10 storeys or more to recoup their investments faster.

Lastly, the buildings you call ugly in Aba and Onitsha is the type you find in Eastern European cities.

4 Likes

Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by Bkayyy: 9:47am On Nov 10, 2020
Mayehunta991:

Yes I'm Igbo and schooled in Igboland. I hate when my people feel like there's anything in the east.
You are right. What you are looking for, which is 15,000 to 150,000 naira job does not exist in East. Here we take our destiny in our hands and people laugh at you when they learn that you are salary earner. So it is better for you to relocate to North or west where salary earners have pride.
It is not a new fact that right now, Lagos based Anambra men are scared to come home for Christmas because of intimidation from main market and Electrical men. Lagos based Igbo men are becoming poor in our eyes. And you know what you worth when people view you as poor in Igboland

1 Like

Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by sherlock229(m): 1:04pm On Nov 10, 2020
post=95877252:

An i.di.o.t that can't afford a bag of Cement

I bet you sell either building materials or CDs thinking you've made it in life... You wish you're on my level,motherfucker
Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by rdokoye: 2:42pm On Nov 10, 2020
------
Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by Obamaofusa: 3:33pm On Nov 10, 2020
jimyjames:

My friend stop crying, I didn't say anything about Ibadan GRA , I'm telling you Igbos own most of the buildings and properties in Lagos, there is nothing you or anyone can do about that, a typical example Allen onyeama made money to start peace airline from real estate investment in leki

I don't have to argue with you about who is richer between Igbos and Yoruba, all I can tell you is that between a group of people who are 90% civil servants living below a 30k minimum wage monthly, and a group of people who 90% are traders making more than 30k weekly, you should know who is richer
Even a Hausa man selling onions is richer than a Yoruba civil servant

lol
Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by Obamaofusa: 3:39pm On Nov 10, 2020
Bkayyy:

You are right. What you are looking for, which is 15,000 to 150,000 naira job does not exist in East. Here we take our destiny in our hands and people laugh at you when they learn that you are salary earner. So it is better for you to relocate to North or west where salary earners have pride.
It is not a new fact that right now, Lagos based Anambra men are scared to come home for Christmas because of intimidation from main market and Electrical men. Lagos based Igbo men are becoming poor in our eyes. And you know what you worth when people view you as poor in Igboland

But Igbos are the most poverty stricken people in the South now.....World bank.

Yorubas are the richest people in Nigeria.....World bank.

In the advanced world,the lifestyle of the Yorubas which is not tied to petty trading like the Igbos',hold sway.This is why Yorubas are far more richer than the Igbos.
Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by Obamaofusa: 3:40pm On Nov 10, 2020
NigerDeltaIgbos:

It's obvious you're quite ignorant about how cities evolve over time. Virtually almost all cities in the world tend to grow in "height". Cities that had high rises of say 10 storeys in the 80's are now having having average of 20 storeys dotting its skyline. Same thing applies to cities like Onitsha and Aba you want to write off. In the 80's, Aba and Onitsha had mostly bungalows & one storey's, with few 2 or 3 storeys but today, they're having an average of 4, 5 & 6 storey buildings. I bet you, if not for lack of power supply, these cities be having much taller buildings now. Even Owerri, especially the New Owerri axis now has lots of classy 4, 5 & 6 storey buildings being built in recent times.

Now, two things will happen in the near future when these cities evolve more. New and taller buildings will either be built in new areas or the existing 4, 5 or 6 storeys will still be demolished for much taller buildings. It is not impossible or that difficult to demolish.

It is economic factors that will determine future developments. Igbos are capitalists and when power supply becomes constant, no one will buy a land for say 50 to 100 million only to build 3 storey on it. That is the time developers will start building 10 storeys or more to recoup their investments faster.

Lastly, the buildings you call ugly in Aba and Onitsha is the type you find in Eastern European cities.
grin
Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by Bkayyy: 3:43pm On Nov 10, 2020
Obamaofusa:

In the advanced world,the lifestyle of the Yorubas which is not tied to petty trading like the Igbos',hold sway.This is why Yorubas are far more richer than the Igbos.
Which world Bank?
The only Nigerian region that is poverty stricken is North which is currently starving while South West have the highest malnutrition rate in West Africa
Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by Obamaofusa: 3:47pm On Nov 10, 2020
post=95834494:

Mega private projects being built in Lagos
Eko Athletic by Lebanese
Dangote Refinery North
African biggest fabrication yard in Snake Island - Igbo man
So these 3 make up Lagos, abi?
Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by Bkayyy: 4:03pm On Nov 10, 2020
Obamaofusa:

I can see that you are an alaye.
World Bank have statistics and demographics. So prove your claim by posting a link to the world Bank statistics
Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by 4ckyou: 4:45pm On Nov 10, 2020
raker300:
I know this topic would rile some people up.

One has to admit that what anambra has achieved hust in years is unprecedented.

Hedging on the messed up war..anambra seems to bounce back with a force that cannot be reckoned with.

Following its financial and private investment stride..the state seems to be catching up with the former capital of Nigeria, Lagos

Anambra has maintained the top 10 position in finance, education, infrastructure and private investment.

Lagos on the other hand has been on a steady decline over the years which has somewhat heartbreaking

Some few pix of anambra .

Modified:

Ok, I dunno how some unscrupulous characters got the notion that this thread was taking a swipe at the yorubas.

Such insipid vitriol is a bush league move by some delinquents

This seed of disconcertion is eating deep into the psyche of some folks.

Full disclosure: this here is a healthy competition between states in Nigeria and has nothing to do with tribe.

Lagos being:

Former capital for 100 years.

Enjoying collective investment

Enjoying federal infrastructural largesse

Hasn’t been in a war

While her counterpart, anambra has:

Been totally destroyed in a war.

Was never a capital.

Enjoys only indigenous investments.

No federal assistance whatsoever...

These 2 locations are in loggerheads in terms of:

Education.

Financial sustainability.

Investements and growth

This thread isn’t a tribalistic banter page..

Is not even close to calabar talkless of port Harcourt, I stayed in awka so I know what am talking about
Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by forgiveness: 4:47pm On Nov 10, 2020
post=95833125:
Ignorant minds that doesn't know road to east will come on nairaland and be throwing jabs, only those that has visited both states will understand, as a traveller coming from Lagos to Anambra state after passing many states once you view Onitsha from Asaba, approaching Onitsha will give you instant Lagos look, what gave Lagos edge are business districts, highbrow areas like Banana Island, VI, Ikoyi etc.

There are four major cities within Lagos inaddition to other towns that are considered as cities in other states, and new cities.

These four major cities are Lagos, Lekki, Ikeja, and Eko Atlantic City. The others are Ojo, Ikorodu, Epe, Badagry, Ibeju Lekki etc

If we do rankings of cities between Lagos state and Anambra, which city in Anambra come close?

1. Lagos
2. Lekki
3. Ikeja
4. Eko Atlantic
5. Ojo
6. Onitsha
7. Ikorodu
8. Ibeju Lekki
9. Epe
10. Badagry

Cities in Anambra will be at the bottom. This will be the case with most cities if compared to Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by forgiveness: 5:00pm On Nov 10, 2020
ChimaAdeoye:

Thank you my brother! Please continue to point it out. It is so heartbreaking that our people are so determined to remain in stone-age and continue building sh*thole cities, instead of copying proper functional cities outside Nigeria.

It is often so shocking when i hear Nigerians copying crap within Nigeria, especially Lagos ! ....instead of trying to improve Nigeria.

In this generation, i have observed even Accra modernize itself and they are copying standard cities in the world not Nigeria or Lagos.

I wonder if things will ever improve in this generation when even the mistakes of the past are being copied by the present generation as "standard". Abuja is the only decent city in Nigeria. Instead of Nigerians thinking how to replicate the standard elsewhere, it is the chaos, slums, poor sanitation that they'd prefer to copy as "development".

In South Africa, I don't want to compare Johannesburg, Pretoria or Cape Town to Nigerian cities. Even their second and third Tier cities as Durban, Port Elizabeth, Bloemfontein, Polokwane are better than Lagos or any Nigerian city. Yet, we copy Lagos as the "standard" in building new cities? Who did this to the brain of black Africans?

It truly appears that Lagos is "abroad" to many Igbos, who actually believe there is nothing better that Nigerians can build.

What makes Port Elizabeth and Bloemfontein, Polokwane better than Lagos?

Durban is not a second or third tier city, it's among the top 3 most developed cities in South Africa.
Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by Nobody: 9:09pm On Nov 10, 2020
no state in Nigeria can compete with Lagos, not even oil rich Delta/Rivers or Anambra.

Anambra and few other economic viable states needs high-rise buildings for a start to match with Lagos
Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by Nobody: 9:14pm On Nov 10, 2020
development is gradual.... Lagos didn't look like New York all of a sudden.

Even with the civil war, Anambra is one of the best states in Nigeria.. it's something to be proud of, no basis for comparison with Lagos.
Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by raker300: 8:53am On Nov 11, 2020
Grgton:
development is gradual.... Lagos didn't look like New York all of a sudden.

Even with the civil war, Anambra is one of the best states in Nigeria.. it's something to be proud of, no basis for comparison with Lagos.
ive been banned multiple times after opening this page.

I don’t know what crime I’ve committed
Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by Nobody: 9:08am On Nov 11, 2020
raker300:
ive been banned multiple times after opening this page.

I don’t know what crime I’ve committed
lol...not really a crime. But there's no basis for comparison. Every state is unique on its own
Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by Anambra1stS0n: 10:10am On Nov 11, 2020
forgiveness:

There are four major cities within Lagos inaddition to other towns that are considered as cities in other states, and new cities.

These four major cities are Lagos, Lekki, Ikeja, and Eko Atlantic City. The others are Ojo, Ikorodu, Epe, Badagry, Ibeju Lekki etc

If we do rankings of cities between Lagos state and Anambra, which city in Anambra come close?

1. Lagos
2. Lekki
3. Ikeja
4. Eko Atlantic
5. Ojo
6. Onitsha
7. Ikorodu
8. Ibeju Lekki
9. Epe
10. Badagry

Cities in Anambra will be at the bottom. This will be the case with most cities if compared to Lagos.
Mind you Anambra is bigger than Lagos, Onitsha metropolitan covered many towns and LGs, Onitsha, Obosi, Ogbaru, Ogidi, Nkwelle, Oba, Nkpor, these towns are highly urbanized now refer as Onitsha metro, mind you Awka and environs, Nnewi are other cities on their own, there are other towns in Anambra that can be consider as cities in other states like Ekwulobia, Ihiala etc. Lagos is largely surrounded by Lagoon and many slum areas huge population of Lagosians live that doesn"t exist in Anambra state

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by Nobody: 10:19am On Nov 11, 2020
post=95918012:

Mind you Anambra is bigger than Lagos, Onitsha metropolitan covered many towns and LGs, Onitsha, Obosi, Ogbaru, Ogidi, Nkwelle, Oba, Nkpor, these towns are highly urbanized now refer as Onitsha metro, mind you Awka and environs, Nnewi are other cities on their own, there are other towns in Anambra that can be consider as cities in other states like Ekwulobia, Ihiala etc. Lagos is largely surrounded by Lagoon and many slum areas huge population of Lagosians live that doesn"t exist in Anambra state
No doubt you are correct!! but in Nigeria standard, is Anambra up to Lagos standard? ? in infrastructure, Economy, industrialization etc Anambra is surprising, and outstanding amongst any state in Nigeria, yet not almost catching up, with Lagos.maybe in years to come with a vissionary Governor.
Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by forgiveness: 11:27am On Nov 11, 2020
post=95918012:

Anambra state is just bigger than Lagos state with 1,267km² and most are still largely towns and villages with forests. But you can't find village, small town or large forest in Lagos state. The difference is clear.

I am not talking about metropolitan area, I am talking about developed cities in both States.

If we compare between the two, no city in Anambra state will make top 5.

Most people in Anambra lives in slum. Why? Because...

A Slum is an area of a city where living conditions are very bad and where the houses are in bad condition according to Collins.

Can you compare the living conditions in Lagos with Anambra? Is it better than Lagos?

Do you have good roads, waste management system, water supply in homes etc in Anambra state?

Most of those 4 stories don't have water running in their taps despite 3 families sharing 3 bedrooms flat.

Anambra is still far behind Lagos state in everything for now.

Anambra state can't even compete with Ogun state in development not to talk of Lagos state.
Re: Is Anambra State Catching Up With Lagos? (pics) by Anambra1stS0n: 11:56am On Nov 11, 2020
forgiveness:

Anambra state is just bigger than Lagos state with 1,267km² and most are still largely towns and villages with forests. But you can't find village, small town or large forest in Lagos state. The difference is clear.

I am not talking about metropolitan area, I am talking about developed cities in both States.

If we compare between the two, no city in Anambra state will make top 5.

Most people in Anambra lives in slum. Why? Because...

A Slum is an area of a city where living conditions are very bad and where the houses are in bad condition according to Collins.

Can you compare the living conditions in Lagos with Anambra? Is it better than Lagos?

Do you have good roads, waste management system, water supply in homes etc in Anambra state?

Most of those 4 stories don't have water running in their taps despite 3 families sharing 3 bedrooms flat.

Anambra is still far behind Lagos state in everything for now.

Anambra state can't even compete with Ogun state in development not to talk of Lagos state.

Ogun indeed grin grin can only be compare to Abia, poverty rate in Anamba is low than Lagos, Lagos is very small city, you will understand better when you drive round Lagos on Sundays or during yuletide season, Lagos doesn't have functioning water supply, I live in best part of Ikoyi for three years, we all rely on northern meruwa for water supply before I move down to Ajah finally relocated to Anambra, Anambra have good and functioning waste management system, that operate 247, we don't have slums in Anambra unlike some areas in Lagos

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Bogoro Crisis: Dogara Stripped Of Traditional Title In Bauchi / 2023: I Am Igbo’s Route To Presidency — Atiku / Presidency: Real Reason I’m Yet To Release Manifesto – Peter Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.